As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Captain America: Now With 20% More Angst!

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Essentials of Spider-Man are Lee/Kirby. They are epic in their own right because they are Lee/Kirby. Its comics history. Its just very different than modern comics.

Edit: Oops sorry Geebs. Posted this before I saw your post.

Lucascraft on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    kingkhan wrote: »
    They're up to issue #44 now right? Any news on when the new Death of Captain America Volume comes out?

The latest hardcover comes out tomorrow (11/26/08):
    THE SAGA OF THE NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA CONTINUES! He's doing his best to carry on the legacy of Steve Rogers, but things go from bad to worse for Bucky Barnes when the Red Skull makes an unexpected move for the very soul of America! Collecting CAPTAIN AMERICA #37-42.

I don't do hardcovers so if you wait a couple more months you should catch up on the trades. So Omnibus goes upto #25, and the two other trades go from 25-36.

smokmnky on
  • kingkhankingkhan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, but tomorrow the 3rd volume will come out then I'll just have to buy #43 and #44 separately.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, but tomorrow the 3rd volume will come out then I'll just have to buy #43 and #44 separately.

That's what I just said

smokmnky on
    edited November 2008
    What I got from what you said is "The latest issue comes out tomorrow. Also this is what's in the first 2 volumes."

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    What I got from what you said is "The latest issue comes out tomorrow. Also this is what's in the first 2 volumes."

No i said the newest hardcover comes out tomorrow, which is 37-42. In single issues #44 comes out tomorrow as well. I also said that I don't like hardcovers

smokmnky on
    edited November 2008
    I didn't know "hardcover" meant "volume of issues."

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't know why we had to have all this discussion. Captain America Omnibus. End of story.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't know why we had to have all this discussion. Captain America Omnibus. End of story.

This^

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    edited November 2008

Because the Omnibus is only upto issue 25 and we are at 44 in floppies.

smokmnky on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hurry up and hit 50 so I can have another omnibus you lazy bastards

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Does anyone know what Daniel Way wrote about Bucky in Wolverine Origins that Ed Brubaker mentioned he wanted to cover? I recall Bru saying that it was in the one issue preview he didn't get that before, so when it came out he was like, "I wanted to do that." But I never recall him saying what it was and I don't read Wolverine Origins. I scanned through the trade with Logan, Cap and Bucky on the cover but it just seemed like a muddled mess and Bucky seemed to just be fighting Logan throughout--which seemed weird in the context of how they have related every other time they're together.

Crimsondude on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, in the last Origins issue it was revealed that
    Winter solider killed Dakken's Mother.
    He might be talking about that.

Sharp101 on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Huh? Wasn;t that sabertooth?

DarkWarrior on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think the reveal that
    Bucky killed Daken's mother
    was already told in a previous Origins issue, before the Deadpool arc. Actually I believe this reveal would affect the New and Dark Avengers more if the team members end up being who I suspect.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I think the reveal that
    Bucky killed Daken's mother
    was already told in a previous Origins issue, before the Deadpool arc. Actually I believe this reveal would affect the New and Dark Avengers more if the team members end up being who I suspect.

I think that was back before Origins started, in the story arc in Wolverine immediately beforehand, Origins and Endings or something similar.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited November 2008
    What the... Why'd he do that?

Crimsondude on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    He felt like it.

But seriously, Brainwashing. He was The Winter Solider at the time, not Bucky, not Captain America.

Sharp101 on
    edited November 2008
    Well, that seems right. But what did she do to piss off uh... Lukin's mentor/the Supreme Soviet?

Crimsondude on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, that seems right. But what did she do to piss off uh... Lukin's mentor/the Supreme Soviet?

It wasn't Lukin who gave the order, it was someone named Romulus who's been the unseen villain in Wolverine: Origins. Apparently the Romulus subplot will be dealt with in the next two Origins issues.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited November 2008
    Uh... Hm. Okay then. I'm just going to pretend that didn't happen.

Newsarama did an interview with Bru about Cap. Quote of the Day:
    There's one prominent series where you'll soon be seeing a lot of New Cap, actually.

Crimsondude on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey guys what the hell was up with the cover to the newest issue? It was almost exactly the same as the last one! D:

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited November 2008
    Can you link to the two covers? I'm curious now :)

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    CAPA043_COV.jpg

CAPA044_cov.jpg

CAPA045_cov.jpg

Question: is that Batroc the Leaper on the cover of the second one?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oui.

I don't really like his new costume. It's more practical, but those colors are never going to work. Frankly, I prefer that he just wear normal clothes.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited November 2008
    That's awesome. Do you have a scan that shows the colors?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    scan0007-3.jpg

scan0008-4.jpg

scan0009-3.jpg

Robos A Go Go on
    edited November 2008
    If they were darker or more muted, it'd probably work fine. But the fact that he's drawn kind of fat and is wearing a magenta jumpsuit makes him look like a cliche cheesy mob boss, like he should've been a goon for the bad guys in Ghost Dog.
    Ghost Dog, which was fucking awesome.

EDIT: Thanks for the scans, by the way.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm not seeing the fat.

Dareth Ram on
    edited November 2008
    my bad.

fourth panel, first page: i did not notice he was wearing a backpack, so I saw the backpack in shadow as more torso.

A quick throw into photoshop, something along the lines of these might be a better approach in terms of color.
    batroc.jpg

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't know we're having a a problem with a french men dressed in flaming purple in the first place.

Dareth Ram on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Alright gang, I just read the Captain America Brubaker omnibus that encompasses the Winter Soldier and Death of Captain America arcs. I have to say, I was completely blown away. I have never given a shit about Captain America - in fact, I kind of thought he was a douchbag. My oppinion is now changed.

I was monumentally saddened by his death. The whole thing just read exceptionally well. Combined with the tragedy of him and Bucky never actually reconnecting despite the fact that they were kindred spirits was simply crushing.

The transition of Bucky becoming Cap makes so much sense. I've literally just started in to that part of the storyline but I buy it 100%. I honestly can't think of a better transition they could've made.

I'm also giving this storyline props for one of the ballsiest and heart wrenching panels I've ever seen. I'm specifically talking about Tony showing Sharon Carter Cap's withered corpse. That was just, wow.

/end fanboy rant

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Alright gang, I just read the Captain America Brubaker omnibus that encompasses the Winter Soldier and Death of Captain America arcs. I have to say, I was completely blown away. I have never given a shit about Captain America - in fact, I kind of thought he was a douchbag. My oppinion is now changed.

I was monumentally saddened by his death. The whole thing just read exceptionally well. Combined with the tragedy of him and Bucky never actually reconnecting despite the fact that they were kindred spirits was simply crushing.

The transition of Bucky becoming Cap makes so much sense. I've literally just started in to that part of the storyline but I buy it 100%. I honestly can't think of a better transition they could've made.

I'm also giving this storyline props for one of the ballsiest and heart wrenching panels I've ever seen. I'm specifically talking about Tony showing Sharon Carter Cap's withered corpse. That was just, wow.

/end fanboy rant

Do you have a scan? I don't recall that.

DarkWarrior on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think it was in the issue immediately after he died. The effect the super soldier serum had on his body apparently reverted after he died (don't ask why, you won't get a sensible answer) and his corpse de-musclified.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited December 2008
    It was indeed Cap #26. She's looking at the corpse and has a mental lapse where she almost confesses. Tony asks what's up, and she immediately turns it into her blaming him for Steve's death. Then she slaps him.

scans from your friendly neighborhood slash fuckers.

Crimsondude on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well it is his fault. Tony is a bad bad man. He deserved to be slapped. Stupid pro-registration asshole.

Lucascraft on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Well it is his fault. Tony is a bad bad man. He deserved to be slapped. Stupid pro-registration asshole.

Woah woah... We all know who's fault this really is.

Redskull-1.png

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I just picked up the rest of the Death of Captain America trades (vol 3 covers up to issue 42) and I was wondering if there has been any word if they will keep making trades out of this or if I should rush to the nearest comic shop and hope I can find the last few issues?

I really prefer trades but I'm not gonna miss out on this fantastic series. :)

powersurge on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    powersurge wrote: »
    So I just picked up the rest of the Death of Captain America trades (vol 3 covers up to issue 42) and I was wondering if there has been any word if they will keep making trades out of this or if I should rush to the nearest comic shop and hope I can find the last few issues?

I really prefer trades but I'm not gonna miss out on this fantastic series. :)

It would be rather surprising if they stopped making trades for this, to say the least.

Slicer on
    edited December 2008
    Yes, I believe Marvel still likes money so I would assume more trades are on the way.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg