As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Robot Wars - Endless Frontier 2 out in Japan.

OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks?San DiegoRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
The old thread is far too old to try and bring back. So I'm just making a new one.
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=8098 Old thread for reference.

AEON GENESIS HAS RELEASED AN ENGLISH PATCH FOR SUPER ROBOT WARS ALPHA GAIDEN. For those who own the game, here's your chance to play it in English!

The exact process of this is legally questionable. This thread is to discuss the game itself only. Please.

SKILL POINT GUIDE + HIDDEN UNITS: http://yuki.mystica.cx/srw/srwagsecrets.html#Qubely
Furu wrote: »
In 1991, Japanese arcade giant Banpresto piled together three of their licenses for a simple Game Boy strategy RPG. The game, titled Super Robot Wars, featured characters from the Go Nagai classics Mazinger Z and Getter Robo, as well as Yoshiyuki Tomino's Mobile Suit Gundam. While lacking an actual story and quality graphics, the game became a major hit and Banpresto has been making them for every major console (and some of the less major, halo thar Wonderswan) since, refining the gameplay, graphics, and storyline each time. New series are added with each incarnation as well, with some of them staying long after their first appearence (Gundam Wing) and in some cases even getting a "sequel" story of sorts.

So, this is like Fire Emblem or something?
Sort of. The SRW games work more or less the same from incarnation to incarnation. Stages open with a title screen and go to dialouge between characters setting up the current stage, whether it's idle chatter interrupted by an enemy attack, stratgey planning between the major figures in the game, or even a brief vacation sequence (rare is the SRW lacking a trip to the beach). When the enemy attacks, you're taking to a deployment screen where you choose the units and pilots to sortie against the attacking forces. Using Stat-altering abilities, terrain, and good ol' fashioned fisticuffs, you must defeat the enemy and achieve an objective or two (some of them hard to read, cause, you know, the games are all in Japanese). Afterwards you've got more dialogue in the aftermath, and then an Intermission Screen which allows you to tune up units, switch pilots around, equip items, and in some games buy abilities for your pilots and play puzzle-based mini-missions for items and profit.

And all that's in Japanese? Holy shit.
It's not as daunting as it sounds. Many FAQs are available online to help, the menus in both combat and Intermissions rarely change much from game to game, and a few of them even have translation patches either out or in the works. Plus there's the matter of Atlus releasing the Original Generation GBA games recently, both of them being fantastic and worth your hard earned funbucks.

Get to postin'!

SOME VIDEOS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZcNRmPEMaU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLhvbKWRolM

makosig.jpg
OtakuD00D on

• PataPata Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Where can I buy the game.

I must. :(

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Any import site, really. Yesasia.com seems to be the cheapest. The er, game itself is still in Japanese. An online community translated the game. Again, this thread's to discuss the game itself.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Anyways...

I'm surprised they released this translation before Alpha.

Oh well.

Pata on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's pretty good so far. It's really refreshing to be able to understand what's going on without relying on gamefaqs or other sources of paraphrased plot infos.

This was also the first game to make use of Battle Masteries/Skill Points. They are -not- described in the mission info, so you'll have to look that up in Gamefaqs.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Found a place to order it.

Thank you Christmas money.

Pata on
    edited December 2008
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/580758/11320

Here's the Skill Point requirements. Missed the first one because I completely forgot about the game having them and the objectives didn't list them, like I said. :D

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Holy shit. HOLY SHIT!

This was my first entry into the SRW series and the one I hold near and dear to my heart. Now that I've studied Japanese, I can understand the stories of newer SRW games, but I never went back to Alpha Gaiden for some reason. Now I can, in my native language no less!

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
    edited December 2008
    The Braiger team's pretty cool. After mission 6, the roster swells up by a huge amount. I'm thinking of making use of these guys as much as I can as my main force: Nu-Gundam, Zeta Gundam, GP03, ZZ, Wing Zero Custom, Deathscyhe Hell Custom, Tallgeese III, Dancougar, Max/Hikaru/Roy's VFs, and the Valsione R.

At least, until shinier stuff comes around.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I started playing the game a bit a few months ago, but I got fustrated missing the requirements for the skill points after how easy it'd been in all the other games. Z just came out too which has such a similar cast... maybe I'll give it another go in a few months.

CygnusZ on
    edited December 2008
    I'm kinda disappointed that Z didn't have any of my favorites, though. Macross, Combattler V, Voltes V, and Daimos are all missing, sadly. The fact that they were all present in Alpha Gaiden made it an instant favorite.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Hey, nice. My entire list fit in mission 7 with one to spare. I could use Milia's VF-1J, but I might need Fa as my healbot. Decisions, decisions. :(

Against my better judgment, I went with Milia. I need to kill everyone in four turns for the Skill Point. No pressure, really!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Most of the series were in so many Alpha games. The only thing is I don't think Gaiden had Daimos. And besides, Z had the return of Turn-A, Gundam X and featured Orguss which was the sequel to Macross anyway.

CygnusZ on
    edited December 2008
    Orgus isn't related to Macross. The same studio worked on it right after the show, though. (A lot of shows, like Southern Cross, had the "Superdimensional" name tagged on. It was cool I guess.)

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Orgus isn't related to Macross. The same studio worked on it right after the show, though. (A lot of shows, like Southern Cross, had the "Superdimensional" name tagged on. It was cool I guess.)

Mech designs are similar and as you say, it's in the Superdimensional series. It's a spiritual sequel.
    EDIT: My bad, Orguss is Superdimensonal Century.

CygnusZ on
    edited December 2008
    Pretty much. Z sounds like good fun, I want to get my hands on it sooner or later.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    Most of the series were in so many Alpha games. The only thing is I don't think Gaiden had Daimos. And besides, Z had the return of Turn-A, Gundam X and featured Orguss which was the sequel to Macross anyway.

You're right, Daimos wasn't in Alpha Gaiden. I forgot which installment he was in. Though Z didn't have my favorite series, it more than made up for it with including, like you said, Turn A and Gundam X, as well as introducing Aquarion and my new favorite Eureka Seven. Orguss is a fine replacement for Macross, but I liked the Macross designs better. Still, they are pretty strong units and Kei is actually my ace.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
    edited December 2008
    I've seen Daimos in A/A Portable, MX, and Alpha 3.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    In Alpha 2 Daimos was one of the main storylines.

CygnusZ on
  • CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I tried obtaining said translated Alpha Gaiden earlier, but converting the game into a format where I can I apply the patch was long and complicated.

I'll just stick with Z since it has all the series I liked from Alpha Gaiden plus more.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm so happy and yet sad about this.

On one hand, I've been anticipating this ever since I bought my Alpha Premium box set a couple years back.

On the other hand, I've already played through about two thirds of the game, but I feel compelled to start over and actually understand the dialogue, but some of the stages were maddening. (I can't abide losing skill points)

Maddoc on
    edited December 2008
    I'm going to have to restart stage 8. Gorgon retreats at under 5k HP or so, and I need the Elemental Lord of Water's assist attack for this. Thing is, by the time I got it to that point, freaking cutscene happens at the enemy turn and Gorgon leaves. Well before the 9 turn limit for the skill point. :(

Of course, I should sortie Raideen for this. He's like the only thing in my arsenal with a 5,000 attack. But... by the time Londo Bell arrives, I barely have enough time to reach Gorgon and dish out the pain. Hardly enough time for Raideen to get the morale boost it needs.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The first Big O stage in SRW Z is maddening. it's like, you're in the dialogue screen, and then, you're like "I wonder when Roger will show up?" and it takes forever to reveal all this Big O plot. and then, when you least expect it.

"BIGGU O, SHOWTIME."

"CAST IN THE NAME OF GOD, YE NOT GUILTY."

It's awesome. Doubly awesome because I am doing the Rand Route.

I have no idea why anyone would ever bother with Setsuko. I mean, in addition to his robot weilding a giant spanner, and being able to throw spanners at his enemies, Rand also has Spanner-chucks.

Also, Alpha Gaiden infuriates me because
    of how embarassing Musashi's "Heroic Sacrifice" is in it. HE DIES TO JERID MESSA FOR FUCKS SAKE!

Clawshrimpy on
    edited December 2008
    Poor Musashi.

So I got to stage 9. All I can say is... FFFFFFUUUUUCK!
    NEO GRANZON!

(Because Setsuko... is a Real robot pilot? I tend to go with them in SRW games.)

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So it's basically Vanguard Bandits for, what, the PS2? DS? What is this for?

Edit: Ah, PSX, neato. OP needs more screenshots.

rayofash on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I had a magnificent post of epic proportions written up detailing the myriad ways in which SRW was not like Vanguard Bandits, but my phone on which I'm typing this had a seizure and I lost it all.

So I'll boil down my basic points in this one.

Vanguard Bandits felt more like a fantasy SRPG in which the characters just happened to be in robots. It never really felt like that gameplay concept affected the actual gameplay enough.

SRW, on the other hand, I feel has a fairly complex and in-depth system that makes more use of the concept.

Additionally, I'm an immense SRW fanboy and I felt Vanguard Bandits was a bit lackluster.

Maddoc on
    edited December 2008
    I have no idea why anyone would ever bother with Setsuko. I mean, in addition to his robot weilding a giant spanner, and being able to throw spanners at his enemies, Rand also has Spanner-chucks.

Sexsuko.

...I got nothing.

OK I got something.

Most impressions say that Setsuko has a better story, or at least more tragic, with every other stage existing to screw her over.

On other hand, Rand has Goldion Wrench

Toss up, I guess.

Pata on
  • CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There's also the big character split in the middle.

Rand has more of the newer series on his path, while Setsuko's path has Gundams and old school Supers. Which is really mainly the reason I went with Rand because he gets more of the series I like, (Eureka 7, Gundam X and Xabungle). Setsuko has Turn A and Zeta, and Destiny's not half bad but not good enough to make me choose her.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    rayofash wrote: »

Actually there are Super Robot Wars games for nearly every console ever produced from the NES up to the 360. There doesn't seem to be one for the Wii or PS3 yet, but the one I deem most ridiculous is on the PS2. SRW: Alpha 3 has so many series in it it's just silly.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited December 2008
    Most importantly, since I've had Z sitting on my shelf for awhile ad haven't even started it yet... Who gets King Gainer and Big O earlier?

Maddoc on
    edited December 2008
    rayofash wrote: »

Actually there are Super Robot Wars games for nearly every console ever produced from the NES up to the 360. There doesn't seem to be one for the Wii or PS3 yet, but the one I deem most ridiculous is on the PS2. SRW: Alpha 3 has so many series in it it's just silly.

33 series.

And four routes with their own originals.

And the SRX team.

And Sanger.

Pata on
    edited December 2008
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Most importantly, since I've had Z sitting on my shelf for awhile ad haven't even started it yet... Who gets King Gainer and Big O earlier?

I'm doing Rand now and he gets Gainer pretty early. I think it's the second series you get (first being Gundam X). I got Big O fairly late but I don't know if Setsuko's route gets it earlier.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
    edited December 2008
    and Dis Astranagant.

The high point of the original Alpha for me was finally being able to use Astranagant.

Maddoc on
    edited December 2008
    To be fair, like, all of the UC Gundam Characters in @3 are just tagalongs since a vast majority of UC plot ended in @2 (Char's Counterattack, F91.) even the Wing Plot was all resolved back in @1 and @Gaiden, and SEED plot took over. though Yazan shows up "Ha Ha, I'm still alive fuckers!" and teams up with the SEED druggie pilots. I don't know why.

Clawshrimpy on
    edited December 2008
    Because he can.

Pata on
    edited December 2008
    Considering how long I've been waiting for King Gainer and Eureka 7 to come to SRW, I think Rand wins out.

Wrenchbot+Gainer+Eureka > Unconfirmed possibility of Big O earlier

Maddoc on
    edited December 2008
    Rand also gets AQUARION.

PUNCHED INTO THE GOD DAMN MOON.

Clawshrimpy on
    edited December 2008
    To be fair, like, all of the UC Gundam Characters in @3 are just tagalongs since a vast majority of UC plot ended in @2 (Char's Counterattack, F91.) even the Wing Plot was all resolved back in @1 and @Gaiden, and SEED plot took over. though Yazan shows up "Ha Ha, I'm still alive fuckers!" and teams up with the SEED druggie pilots. I don't know why.

I'm bored of the Universal Century story. I've played through it in enough games now that I'm done caring, so long as I still get Roux and Quattro. Because for some reason Roux is the most useful UC pilot that isn't Char. More importantly, Max and Miriya get a combo attack.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited December 2008
    Actually, I've never really watched much of the Universal Century anime, but I have beaten almost the entire Universal Century mode in Gundam vs Zeta Gundam, and the Universal Century storyline in DW: Gundam so I pretty well know the score (and multiple alternate-scores from unlocking all alternate timelines in UC mode of GvZG).

ViolentChemistry on
    edited December 2008

I'm bored of the Universal Century story. I've played through it in enough games now that I'm done caring, so long as I still get Roux and Quattro. Because for some reason Roux is the most useful UC pilot that isn't Char. More importantly, Max and Miriya get a combo attack.
    I just wish more SRW games would use more Getter plots besides 70s TV Getter with Shin as a tacked on upgrade. I'd like to see Armageddon used more (It was used once, in D for the GBA.) and, shit, I hope Z2 or Z3 just gives us New Getter plot allready.

Fuck, I'd love for the manga stuff to be used, Hien or AH would be win, but that ain't happening.

but dammit, Armageddon needs one more ride, because it made D awesome:

SHIN DRAGON FUCK YES.

It's no Getta Emperor, but it's the closest thing SRW could come to.

Clawshrimpy on
    edited December 2008
    That reminds me of another reason @3 is so great.

Battle 7

Max Genius is the only man who could dodge like that in a massive battleship. And also overcome aging with the power of mind over matter.

Maddoc on