As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Album in the past 10 years?

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Since 2000?
    BOXER by THE NATIONAL

Alligator is so much better. Boxer feels really condensed and almost unfinished to a degree. I really wanted to like it, but it's so much more basic than Alligator was. Alligator is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Is it possible to double lime posts?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Believe it or not, rock (which encapsulates indie, punk, alt, prog, post, metal, etc) and hip-hop are not the only genres in existence. Where's the love for dance/pop/electronic?

Geogaddi.jpg200px-The_Campfire_Headphase.jpg200px-DoYouKnowSquarepusher.jpg200px-Daft_Punk_-_Discovery.jpg200px-Justicecross.jpg200px-Futuresex.jpg200px-Odyssey.jpg200px-Anniemal_albumcover.jpg200px-Alrightstill.jpg

Boards of Canada, Squarepusher, Daft Punk, Justice, Justin Timberlake, Fischerspooner, Annie, Lily Allen

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I consider electronica to be part of indie so :P to you.

And as an example Crystal Castles, and Natalie Portmans Shaved head made my top 10 for this year list I posed in the indie thread.

And a bunch of people have already said Postal Service in this here thread.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    the correct answer to your post, FBC, is

Madonna - Confessions on the Dancefloor
    The Knife - Silent Shout
    Ladytron - Light and Magic
    Felix Da Housecat - Kittenz and Thee Glitz
    Cut Copy - In Ghost Colors
    Soulwax - Nite Versions
    Justice - Cross (Begrudgingly)
    Kylie Minogue - X
    The Chemical Brothers - Surrender
    Eluvium - Copia

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I consider electronica to be part of indie so :P to you.

why would you think that, considering that electronica has been around since about the early 80's?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Podly wrote: »

The Knife - Silent Shout
    Soulwax - Nite Versions
    Kylie Minogue - X
    Eluvium - Copia

Oh, I wasn't trying to be "correct", just asking for more love. Of the albums you listed, I've loved what I've heard.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008

The Knife - Silent Shout
    Soulwax - Nite Versions
    Kylie Minogue - X
    Eluvium - Copia

I guess I'll just take my incorrect answer and make my own thread...with blackjack..and hookers.

In fact, there it is. Jerkface.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

The Knife - Silent Shout
    Soulwax - Nite Versions
    Kylie Minogue - X
    Eluvium - Copia

Oh, I wasn't trying to be "correct", just asking for more love. Of the albums you listed, I've loved what I've heard.

I was just being an ass :P

The thing about "dance/electro/pop" is that the singles often override the albums to an extreme amount. So when you get something like Confessions or Kittenz and Thee Glitz, it's really special.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
  • Options
    KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

The Knife - Silent Shout
    Soulwax - Nite Versions
    Kylie Minogue - X
    Eluvium - Copia

Why begrudgingly?

I think I kind of burnt myself out on it, but playing anything by Justice at a party is a surefire way to get most of the people moving.

Also, why no Ratatat mentioned? I haven't heard LP3, but their S/T is really good, as was the follow-up.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • Options
    brorsteinbrorstein Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Believe it or not, rock (which encapsulates indie, punk, alt, prog, post, metal, etc) and hip-hop are not the only genres in existence. Where's the love for dance/pop/electronic?

Geogaddi.jpg200px-The_Campfire_Headphase.jpg200px-DoYouKnowSquarepusher.jpg200px-Daft_Punk_-_Discovery.jpg200px-Justicecross.jpg200px-Futuresex.jpg200px-Odyssey.jpg200px-Anniemal_albumcover.jpg200px-Alrightstill.jpg

Boards of Canada, Squarepusher, Daft Punk, Justice, Justin Timberlake, Fischerspooner, Annie, Lily Allen

Oh! Totally forgot about BoC. I wholeheartedly second "Music Has A Right..."

On that note, I also forgot:
    PIASV010CD_.jpgMassive_Attack_Mezzanine_L.gifliars.jpg

Rock Action only because Young Team is 1997, but the afterglow of that thing had residual impact on RA. Mezzanine because, well, you know. Drums Not Dead because because.

brorstein on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, I did give some electronica love in my post, but regarding some of the other albums mentioned:

I completely forgot about Daft Punk's Discovery, which is an amazing album that is fairly cohesive and as such could definitely see it being a possibility. I really do love their Alive 2007 as well, but I could never put it on a list like this because the last half of the album isn't nearly as good as the first half (which is absolutely amazing).

Depending on the day, I'd probably want to put an Orbital album on my list, probably Orbital 2, Snivilization or In Sides.

5 years ago I might have nominated The Chemical Brothers' Dig Your Own Hole, but that hasn't aged well in my mind. Surrender from the first time I listened to it had some very weak moments, and thus I really couldn't put it close to the others for that reason.

And I know people see it differently (and have listened to different things), but I've heard a hell of a lot more electronic albums that felt like albums (as opposed to a collection of songs) than I have from rock/alt/indie bands.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Kealoha wrote: »
    Why begrudgingly? I think I kind of burnt myself out on it, but playing anything by Justice at a party is a surefire way to get most of the people moving.

They have approximately 10 synths patches that they use -- all soft synths, which are basically the presets on Reason's packaged soft synths. They suck, and they just add a tone of compression and side chaining to get their sound... and I say their sound because they are such a one trick pony. Listen to any of their remixes and it just sounds like it could be from cross. They are as popular as they are because their manager (Ed Banger or something like that) is a god damn marketing genius with connections up the ass to boot. They do not play live sets, they DJ. Pretty much every remix of justice I've heard has been astronomically better than the originals, because they instill even an ounce of originality. Yeah, playing justice will get people moving: because 70% of people will only start dancing to songs that they know or can shout out stupid things like "Do the D.A.N.C.E." New Jack not only blatantly samples -- at length -- the Brother's Johnson "Wiggle," but they barely change the original song besides adding a heavily compressed FM slap bass patch!

And did I mention that all their songs sound the exact same.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    51MUJDGwPrL._SS500_.jpg

Very nice choice.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    2and2is52and2is5 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Give Up is disqualified immediately because of Sleeping In.

My two choices would be The Moon and Antarctica by Modest Mouse or Kid A by Radiohead, but these threads are kind of stupid anyway. A better thread would be 'Best Album of The 1970s' or what have you, so we can look back and choose some criteria to judge which album is 'best', rather than just spitting out our personal favorite albums, however shitty they may be.

2and2is5 on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    2and2is5 wrote: »
    Give Up is disqualified immediately because of Sleeping In.

My two choices would be The Moon and Antarctica by Modest Mouse or Kid A by Radiohead, but these threads are kind of stupid anyway. A better thread would be 'Best Album of The 1970s' or what have you, so we can look back and choose some criteria to judge which album is 'best', rather than just spitting out our personal favorite albums, however shitty they may be.

I don't see how there's really a big difference.

People would just start spitting out their favorite albums of the 1970s.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    ErchamionErchamion Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is all instrumental, which is far underrepresented in this thread. Plus, piano is not used nearly enough in rock music.

65daysofstatic - One Time for All Time
    65dos_one_time_for_all_time.jpg

Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone
    AllofaSudden.jpg

Mogwai - Mr. Beast
    Mr_beast_cover.jpg

Erchamion on
  • Options
    alivatnaalivatna Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Arctic_Monkeys-Whatever_People_Say_I_Am_Thats_What_Im_Not.jpg

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

I 100% adore this album. It just flows like a goddamn river.

alivatna on
  • Options
    T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Word_On_Tha_Streets.jpg
    Man, skatterman and snug brim are real KC home boys.

T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • Options
    KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

They have approximately 10 synths patches that they use -- all soft synths, which are basically the presets on Reason's packaged soft synths. They suck, and they just add a tone of compression and side chaining to get their sound... and I say their sound because they are such a one trick pony. Listen to any of their remixes and it just sounds like it could be from cross. They are as popular as they are because their manager (Ed Banger or something like that) is a god damn marketing genius with connections up the ass to boot. They do not play live sets, they DJ. Pretty much every remix of justice I've heard has been astronomically better than the originals, because they instill even an ounce of originality. Yeah, playing justice will get people moving: because 70% of people will only start dancing to songs that they know or can shout out stupid things like "Do the D.A.N.C.E." New Jack not only blatantly samples -- at length -- the Brother's Johnson "Wiggle," but they barely change the original song besides adding a heavily compressed FM slap bass patch!

And did I mention that all their songs sound the exact same.

Yeah, I get your point. I heard one of their remixes of MGMT and it was really shitty and I could tell it was them from the start. As much as a lot of their songs got on my nerves, I think Stress is a pretty good track. Obviously you're more versed in the whole electronic thing, being a DJ and whatnot, and ripping someone's shit is never good, so that's kind of garbage.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A tie between:

B0009R1T7M.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

and

front.jpg

Or maybe, just maybe

The-Mars-Volta-De-Loused-In-The-433466.jpg

But I will also vote for

shadow_of_the_colossus_ost.jpg

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh wait shit does this count?

beatles-love.jpg

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow I can't believe all the love for funeral, not one mention for Neon Bible, which I think is a superior album in every way.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think it is Augie March's Moo, You Bloody Choir, and it's almost assuredly The Best Album You've Never Heard Of In The Past Ten Years.

Whoever is reading this should look on lastfm or youtube for their songs. They are very good.

Iriah on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hmm, this is going to be very hard for me, because I'm very hesitant to call anything my #1. However, a few choices come to mind:

Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero: a concept album about our bleak future should we continue on the path we are taking. The music is excellent, the message is interesting and the way it was released is fascinating.

The Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site: a weird blend of country, rock, punk and I'm sure some other genres, Reconstruction Site is probably one of my all-time favorite albums. It's hard to explain what I like about the album, so I'll just talk about a few of my favorite songs:

Plea From A Cat Name Virtute - a song from a cat's perspective whose caretaker is a depressed alchoholic.

(Manifest)/(Hospital Vespers)/(Past-Due) - three songs about a terminally ill hospital patient.

Psalm For The Elks Lodge Last Call - about the Elks Lodge closing. The video ends with a bunch of old guys duking it out, which is funny but also strangely sad.

Mogwai - Mr. Beast - Haunting post-rock album that's both beautiful and sad, accomplished without lyrics (mostly). The music starts off slowly, steadily building into a musical landscape one can easily get lost in. The perfect album for a rainy day when you just want to relax.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Ebz123Ebz123 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    65daysofstatic and the Arctic Monkeys in consecutive posts, Sheffield-tastic! Whatever people say... is a great album album, most of their contemporaries treat albums as 3 singles + filler affairs.

Ebz123 on
  • Options
    SuperunknownSuperunknown Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Erchamion wrote: »
    This is all instrumental, which is far underrepresented in this thread. Plus, piano is not used nearly enough in rock music.

65daysofstatic - One Time for All Time
    65dos_one_time_for_all_time.jpg

Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone
    AllofaSudden.jpg

Mogwai - Mr. Beast
    Mr_beast_cover.jpg

Worst album by each one of those bands.

Needs more The Fall of Math, The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place and Mogwai Young Team (Which actually isn't qualified, so Rock Action)

Superunknown on
  • Options
    ErchamionErchamion Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Worst album by each one of those bands.

Needs more The Fall of Math, The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place and Mogwai Young Team (Which actually isn't qualified, so Rock Action)

I would disagree entirely, but therein lies the subjectivity of music.

Erchamion on
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Music has the Right to Children is better than The Campfire Headphase. Though I guess it's August 08 release might disqualify it. Also, Ultravisitor was totally better than Do You Know Squarepusher.

I wanted to nominate an Autechre album, but Tri Repetae is apparently more than ten years old. Who knew.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    brorsteinbrorstein Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Music has the Right to Children is better than The Campfire Headphase. Though I guess it's August 08 release might disqualify it.

? MHtRTC was released in 1998. Unless that's what you meant, in which case, I wouldn't split hairs that close. It's in.

brorstein on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't know if it's the best, but the one I've listened to most and had to think about the most was Polkadot Cadaver's Purgatory Dance Party. It's most of the members of Dog Fashion Disco after the breakup, and it's like a slimmed down and somehow little crazier version of DFD that spans a bunch of genres they never got to. Great variety and interesting lyrics, if the last 15 minutes wasn't somebody repeating "Satan" over and over again I could probably listen to it on repeat without touching the MP3 player for weeks.
    600px-Purgatory_Dance_Party.jpg

Trevor on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

The Knife - Silent Shout
    Soulwax - Nite Versions
    Kylie Minogue - X
    Eluvium - Copia

Contains ZERO johnny cash while mashing a bunch of dance stuff in that shouldn't be there. Epicest Fail.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    edited December 2008

The Knife - Silent Shout
    Soulwax - Nite Versions
    Kylie Minogue - X
    Eluvium - Copia

Contains ZERO johnny cash while mashing a bunch of dance stuff in that shouldn't be there. Epicest Fail.

I didn't know that johnny cash made dance albums

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    variant wrote: »
    In my opinion, Thrice - Vheissu and Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me. Simply because it's what I listen to the most.
    No matter what mood I'm in I feel very... comfortable when listening to them.

holler. props.

That's my vote.

geckahn on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm going to put in my vote for this:

The_Delgados_-_Hate_%28amazon.com%29.jpg

Or maybe this:

Tool-lateralus-album.jpg

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

The Knife - Silent Shout
    Soulwax - Nite Versions
    Kylie Minogue - X
    Eluvium - Copia

and the best chemical brothers album is come with us, which came out in . . 02 or 01. which is amazing.

so this guy epic fails

geckahn on
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Past 10 years?

whitepony-cover1.jpg

Deftones - The White Pony - I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted to put this, the self-titled album, or Saturday Night Wrist in this spot. I thought they were all brillianr, but I think the White Pony is the one that has the most consistent level of excellence and the most powerful and memorable songs. It's also one of the most bizarrely erotic albums I can think of, yet it's probably one of the best make-out albums I've ever experienced. Digital Bath, Change (In the House of Flies) and Passenger being the prime examples. In terms of just raw energy, I've never heard another song like Knife Party.

Couldn't agree with you more, White Pony got me through my earlier years of high school. :)

A close runner up would be:

51c2rkleklss500zh0.jpg

While De-loused was incredible, If I had to choose between the two albulms I would go with Amputechure if only because Tetragrammatron and Viscera Eyes have such powerful endings and are my 2 favorite songs on the albulm. :^:

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    geckahn wrote: »
    and the best chemical brothers album is come with us, which came out in . . 02 or 01. which is amazing.

so this guy epic fails

lies! lies!

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    geckahn wrote: »

so this guy epic fails

lies! lies!

not lies. with the exception of back to africa, that album is perfection via techno.

geckahn on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ruzkin wrote: »
    front.jpg

This.

Or maybe also this
    Tool-lateralus-album.jpg

I can't decide.

Everything else I can think of fails in some way despite being brilliant but there you have two perfect albums, one of which is all the more remarkable for being flawless across two discs. And the other is the maximum length of a single CD anyway.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
This discussion has been closed.