As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OOC me amadeus (Legend of the five rings)

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm just using it as an "Introduce the characters" thing. I have no idea if that's what's supposed to be happening, but it is now.

El Skid on
  • Options
    TheHoodedRoninTheHoodedRonin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What edition of L5R are you guys rocking? If there was a spot or even a stand by, I'd totally be interested in knocking out a guy tonight after work. Also is there an Era? Is mantis now a major clan, or is this before the 2nd day of thunder?

~Thanks

TheHoodedRonin on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    One spot one still open, its 1066 after the second day of thunder, reign of toturi the third. Also its third edition Unrevised, but they're mostly compatible from what i've seen so don't worry about it.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What edition of L5R are you guys rocking? If there was a spot or even a stand by, I'd totally be interested in knocking out a guy tonight after work. Also is there an Era? Is mantis now a major clan, or is this before the 2nd day of thunder?

~Thanks

You should take some sort of pacifist disadvantage just to mix things up. "Guys, stop beating that man's face in. Oh god, did you just rip off his arm? Now you're beating him with it?!"

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Valkun wrote: »
    You should make some sort of brash ideological pacifist shugenja just to mix things up.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    El Skid wrote: »
    You should make some sort of brash ideological pacifist shugenja ninja reincarnation of Fu Leng just to mix things up.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I can tell jdark and I are going to get along just fine.
    ROLL FOR INITIATIVE, MONKEYBOY!
    Just kidding
    <3

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    El Skid wrote: »
    I can tell jdark and I are going to get along just fine.
    ROLL FOR INITIATIVE, MONKEYBOY!
    Just kidding
    <3
    That might go badly for you. <3

Didn't they teach you in those fancy war schools of yours that you should never fight at two to one odds? Crab powah!

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'd like that compass to be worth a full koku. I'm not sure if that's all that valuable in terms of gift giving, but we don't know the status of our new master either.

I assume that has to come out of my own pocket.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'd like that compass to be worth a full koku. I'm not sure if that's all that valuable in terms of gift giving, but we don't know the status of our new master either.

I assume that has to come out of my own pocket.

The gift? Yes. But don't feel bad, basically bribes and gifts are all you really need to buy as a samurai.

edit: Jaysonfour will in all likelyhood be joining as player five tomorrow sometime. I'll apend basho's statement to be like "oh right that dude,"

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    To make it clear, I didn't just ditch you guys. I'm not going to play this time because I don't think I have the interest in learning a new system or roleplaying in general. I appreciate the help I've been given, sorry I didn't stick around.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh hey no worries, its all good :)

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sooo...I'm curious. How hard WOULD it be to swim with a Daisho? "Call an extra raise to not lose it" kinda deal?

Because leaving my sword behind is...less than ideal.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    There is no swimming planned, well not in anything but the shallowest of water. But yes, an extra raise due to weight and clumsiness. TN 20 for staying afloat on a sta/athletics rolls

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    chinesewhiteblackjunk.jpg

A little drawing of the boat. Four beds at your disposal, Kenji will take one every night without really thinking about not taking one. (he can be persuaded to switch out if needed) The monk, who will absolutely not speak unless spoken to meditates at the foot of kenji's bed, or bedroll as the case may be.

10 Ji-Samurai (no women, notably) crew the boat, Yoritomo Senzo, in case anyone was doubting it is a serious samurai type man like yourself. Are we all okay with skipping ahead a few day? i'll just slap on the next part of the post in that case.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    TangenTangen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That's fine. I was going to offer to give up a bed. Maybe make a tent on the deck or something. heh.

Tangen on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Same, plus I'd shame El Skid into doing it too. :lol: But I wouldn't mind getting to some action, it might liven up the game a bit.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ah good catch tangen, i forgot to add that little bit of information.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Or just go with it and roleplay your character ignoring tangen's ALL THE TIME

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think someone is about to regret having insulted a group of brash samurai.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Someone who is admitting to not being a samurai but who is carrying a katana, apparently.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ahahaha

Oh Valkun. So much <3.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I guess I could have done an honor roll, but this is more fun.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm guessing we don't see any samurai at all and a lot of armed peasants?

Peasant revolt...?

Tangen on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Tangen wrote: »
    I'm guessing we don't see any samurai at all and a lot of armed peasants?

Peasant revolt...?

What a revolting development this could turn out to be... :P

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Alright, I'll let you guys decide. Do we go put the hurt on a bunch of villagers because of a perceived slight against us or do we ignore the mob and go see the Lord Mayor and probably put the hurt on him?

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Like thirty villagers, just to be clear. edit: eventually

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    My thought is we're putting our lord at risk. If this is a peasant revolution, then it may be with the mayor's blessing. I'd like to be sure what going on before we try and kill the whole town.

Tangen on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Was calling us "violent samurai" an insult - ie, would a TN20 Honor roll be required?

While they were insulting, I'm not really sure any of us were specifically insulted. Which may be drawing too fine a line on it.

I've a feeling Matsu Yuri would be more disgusted with their lack of honor than insulted.

Hmm no i'd consider it more a somewhat accurate portrayal. Roleplaying your character the way you feel is more important. Though i suppose it does carry the implication that you're too free with violence. But nah no roll required.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Mantismapyo.jpg

I made a shitty little map. You are currently near the lower right T (for town). After having had a near fight at the T in the village. The island is entirely surrounded by rock except for the beach where you landed, hence the easy blockade. Your characters saw this map on the boat, so you can orient yourselves by it etc.

edit: actually the map is pretty badass.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    A san really, you're just guarding him. If you want to be overly polite, sama would be the choice. If you see him as just one of the gang san.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1878311/

awareness/etiquette roll for Rei. She kind of missed something, can't say what thouuuuugh.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You can threaten with a katana, thats certainly honorable at this point as is jiujutsu. you'd get a free raise for jiujutsu, tn 15 to keep them apart long enough to talk sense into them.

edit: agility+jiujutsu, for clarity's sake.
    edit: 2 : Intimidation with the katana is either awareness/deceit (no honor loss) or intelligence/kenjutsu (to know what to say while waving your sword around). tn 20

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So, let's look at this from an etiquette point of view.

We're acting on the lord of this island's behalf to investigate the rice shipments.
    Besides for that, we have no real authority here and keeping the peace is the lord mayor's job right?
    So, the polite thing to do would be to ignore the outburst?

Or am I way off on this line of thinking?

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well they're already commiting a grievous breach of etiquette by brawling in the street. You'll well within your rights as a samurai to demand they stop unless they have a very very good reason for fighting. Getting involved right down to wrestling them might be undignified but is it a breach of etiquette? I think its up for debate.

In any case its not your duty and any pressure you feel to get involved should only be from your character as a person. Kenji for his part isn't asking you to and he has no idea what, if anything you should do.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    From what I understand:

Assuming these are peasants, as a samurai you have every right to just slaughter them if they're bothering you. It's considered slightly rude to go killing peasants for no reason, but its really not a big deal... Especially since we're working for the mantis right now.

If you want to yell at them or physically separate them, you're well within your rights... And you don't have to ignore peasants if you don't want to. It's only samurai that you need to worry about ignoring outbursts from, since peasants dont have honour.

edit- of course, you could totally ignore me and listen to CJ, instead :P

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also, I'm a magistrate, so I actually should do something. *sigh*

Tangen on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Can we tie them up first before I go testing my weapon on them? I want to make sure the salt hasn't corroded the blade but I don't want to hit dirt or anything. That'd be dishonorable to the spirit of the blade.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    All the women should just jump in and wrestle with the peasant girls. We should totally have the biggest cat fight ever.

edit: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1880622/ i rolled for intimidation, you maaade it. i'll update soon i guess.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh, in case this breaks out into a fight.

How many raises would I need to continue eating with one hand while swinging a tetsubo with the other?

Valkun on