As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where do I go from here? Also, stickers. Now with COMIC

Pink TentaclePink Tentacle Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Artist's Corner
So it seems I can only really pull off cheesey B grade animu art, which is a shame because visual arts is the only thing I seem to be close to good at in life. Although I've by no means exhausted my potential in the area of impressing thirteen year old fangirls (I'm yet to explore the realm of shotacon, which is exactly why I want to move on to greener artistic pastures), I feel like I've had enough of this sort of art; the problem being that this is really all I know, and I can either go with it or leave it behind.
Where do I go from here? How do I start with new things?

Well, here's a few pickings from my collection of scribblings:
100_PERCENT_FRESH_by_RichardNobody.png
PUNKremix_by_RichardNobody.png
Gadgeteer_by_RichardNobody.png
Super_Awesome_Quest_Vol_1_by_RichardNobody.png
RELOADING_by_RichardNobody.png

I also make stickers, if anyone is interested in a trade:
The_Chopping_Board_by_RichardNobody.png
Round_Two__FIGHT_by_RichardNobody.png
ROUND_THREE_by_RichardNobody.jpg
Moongazer__Rampage_by_RichardNobody.png

Pink Tentacle on

• Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    might wanna put those in image tags, champ

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Projeck wrote: »
    might wanna put those in image tags, champ

Sorry about that. I instinctively used html tags instead of bbcode and had to go back and convert everything.
    It all be sweet now.

Pink Tentacle on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It would also be better if they weren't all in spoiler tags...

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Done and done. I'm just used to people being pedantic about unneccesary scrolling is all.

Pink Tentacle on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well it's your thread so fuck everyone else!

As it stands right now i kinda like what you have going on, and i HATE anime. I do appreciate that you want to change what you are doing with your art. My advice would be to go back to basics and do some life studies. Draw a lot and draw often.

Be sure to stick around, you're cool!

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    DeeLock wrote: »
    Well it's your thread so fuck everyone else!

Life advice you simply can't find in any of today's education systems.

I've been lurking here for a long while now, I just only recently decided to register, I'll definitely be hanging around.

Pink Tentacle on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    if your problem is you are growing tired of the style. I think the best thing would be to experiment with different techniques. Maybe try incoorporating realistic styles, move away completely from anime, but using the same kind of concepts. And then whatever you learn from that, try bringing it back into your work. If anime stlye is what you are naturally good at, try to roll with it. I think people seem to generalise anime to much. resulting in people assuming anime is shit. But there are some very tallented anime artists who have managed to make their work totally awesome, and stand out. Do what you enjo, and try and improve each day. And keep posting!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Your faces look like they could use some work. Either that or you just like to avoid drawing them.
    Your stickers are fucking amazing, though.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I want those stickers in the first image. Waannnt.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I want those stickers in the first image. Waannnt.

If you promise to put them to good use, you can have a package full of them in your mailbox in the near future.

Pink Tentacle on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yes Yes I will trade.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So I thought I'd knuckle down, try something new, and progress slowly away from my old styles.
    This is what I came up with...
    27ytmhd.jpg

Not more than a stones' throw from my old work, but I feel like I've improved and progressed even in this little piece so far.

Pink Tentacle on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I am looking the fuck out of this thread. You are far too talented. I love your clean use of colour, I have a habit of throwing to really unflattering colours around.

What I've never understood is how people get styles, surely you just switch up styles whenever you need to?...anyway, I like the new style, but the whole no pupil thing can't last, the eye is as emotive as as the lips at times, it's pointless having them so large if they show no meaning. Assuming thats part of this style and not just this piece. Styles confuse me.

La la.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh I don't think I'll use that style of eye very often, I just felt it'd work well with this piece.
    In any case though, endless_serpents, you've managed to flatter me. I'd offer a handshake or even a night of mutual spooning but alas, the internet has not progressed this far as of yet.

Also, bored @ 3am=
    REBOOT_V_2_by_RichardNobody.jpg

Fully functional samsung crt. Now in pink, courtesy of yours truly.

Pink Tentacle on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    coool

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    Man, Nice things are going on here. the stickers are really nice. Everything is clean and confident, exploring more eye types should help you really find comfort there. I dont really have much to say that hasn't already been said, I just hope you stick around and keep posting.

Iruka on
  • Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So you said pleasing fangirls, which leads me to think that at least some of these are renditions of other people's characters. Are any of them your original creation? If so then props, if not then maybe just building up some ideas for your own would give you the... creative fulfillment you are lacking. The drawing is solid as it is though. I guess try drawing something in a more classic style and let us take a look? That is if I understand you correctly and you are saying all you can draw is in this particular style. Like grab a decent pic of a model and draw that? /shrug.

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    These don't scream generic animu to me. There's already your own style seeping through. Certainly they're inflenced by anime, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

The most gear shifting you can do is exploring different facial styles. The face is really what sets the tone for the rest of the character. If it doesn't have an anime face, its not really identified as an anime styled character.
    So if you're looking to develop something different, I'd start with your faces. Eyes, noses, mouths. Look around and see what other people are doing and start doing the same things. Take a nostril from this artist, an eyelid from that artist, a pupil from this guy, lips from that girl, etc etc. Thats how styles are formed, by cannibalizing little bits and pieces of other artists styles.

But regardless, I like what youve got going here. Nice crisp lineart and good exadurations.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    JohnTWM wrote: »
    So you said pleasing fangirls, which leads me to think that at least some of these are renditions of other people's characters. Are any of them your original creation?
    Yes these are all my own creations, 100%. That is except for the comic cover piece, as that is a parody of a Lichtenstein work, but the characters are still my own. About 3 of my stickers are also a tribute to a television show., but yeah other than that it's all mine 8D.
    Also, I like what you said about drawing a model and started doing some sketches. I already feel like I'm confidently going somewhere.
    McGibs wrote: »
    The most gear shifting you can do is exploring different facial styles. The face is really what sets the tone for the rest of the character. If it doesn't have an anime face, its not really identified as an anime styled character.
    This is probably the most useful thing I've read in a long while. I know I probably should have worked it out by myself already, but now that you've mentioned it it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the advice, I know where to start now.

Pink Tentacle on
  • Options
    junipejunipe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    these are really nice. what software do you use to edit these? id love to add color to a pic of my own.

junipe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I used photoshop for everything I've posted in this thread (Except the non-digital material of course). I use cs2, even though cs4 runs well on my new box, simply because everything runs a little faster and it makes for a more comfortable experience when I need to spend hours on a particular piece.
    However I've been doing a lot of experimenting in corel painter X and I can see myself replacing photoshop in favor of painter in the near future.
    For colouring, just about any program in the vein of photoshop will have the same basic elements to allow you to colour pictures like I have mine, all you need is layers.

Pink Tentacle on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    so this pretty much turned into me wasting time after work
    Eight_Delicious_Angles_by_RichardNobody.png

Pink Tentacle on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm trying to get a heap of strips together to start a webcomic.
    Attempt #1:
    Potential_Webcomic_1_by_RichardNobody.png

Pink Tentacle on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I dig the joke, but it probably could be executed in a couple less panels. The first panel is probably the most superfluous. Showing yourself sitting at a computer could be established in the same panel that your friend is asking you to go get laid. And if you absolutely must keep the first panel, the Pacman shaped eyes seem out of place, since none of the other panels show them like that.

You might want to try putting normal-ish hairstyles on your characters if you're trying to get away from the anime thing. In the side-view panels, the "implied line" of your character's mouth is a little distracting. Implied line as a tool is useful, but in cartooning like you're attempting here, it's a little out of place.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Your hair doesn't make any sense...i mean...what is even going on with it?

Did you pick a fight with a lawnmower?

Anyway...on to something constructive!

It's funny, but i agree about the first panel, i think you could get rid of it and you wouldn't lose anything. I'm glad you're not doing the classic anime profile, but i think you're squishing the features towards the bottom of his face a little too much.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    yeah, you're pacing would be more effective if it wer just panels 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7.

That way you have: the setup, the door shutting, the smiling, the nodding off, and then punchline.

Also, avoid self-referential webcomics like the fucking plague. If someone's comic catches my interest, I check their archive and start from the beginning. 99% of the time if there is a *look at me, i make a webcomic* I stop reading immediately.

You could have something more entertaining... "I've got to... finish this paper/essay, fill on these TPS reports, construct this program." something relevant to the guy's background/job which for NO REASON should be webcomic-creator.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    Mr Sgt SirMr Sgt Sir Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I like the comic, definately drop the 1st panel though. :)

Is it a girl with stubble??

and the spring onion looking girl will come to life brilliantly with some big cute pupils.

Mr Sgt Sir on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've never seen a better rendering of RedTube. :^:

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I too think the 1st panel could go, but I really like the rendering of the character more in that panel, than the rest of the panels. So I dunno.

Also, the drop shadows on the panels are a little distracting. But overall, nice one.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Cheers a lot for the feedback, particularly on the comic strip. evidently it was more a boredom killer than anything else, but I took all the criticisms into account and sketched out a revised version as well as some other strips that actually worked a lot better with those points in mind.
    I've always wanted to run a webcomic, but I don't think I've got quite the style for it. In any case, I made another strip purely for fun:
    Potential_Webcomic_2_by_RichardNobody.png

Pink Tentacle on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    :lol: I like it, and i would definately keep checking back for more.

Mr Sgt Sir on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    why do you keep that dotted background on some panels? Is it your graphics software's representation of transparency? Also, where's your revised comic?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    hahahahah!
    that hand is super wonky
    but I laughed really hard at this.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Did this bad boy just now before I leave for work. I thought it was hilarious, but it didn't reap as many lulz as I expected:
    Potential_Webcomic_3_by_RichardNobody.png
    Will post again when I'm back from work 8D

Pink Tentacle on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    What a wanker

Mr Sgt Sir on
  • Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think it would work better if you took the first panel off. It doesn't really contribute to the joke.

nakirush on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I agree with nakirush.. I love the jokes you're telling with those comics though. KEep 'em coming!

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    HAHAHAhhaahaHAHahHHAhHHAhHA!!!

DeeLock on
  • Options
    AllanAllan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Tentacle! May I just say that I like the way you are drawing your character more and more (especially in panels TWO and THREE)!

Not that I didn't like it before, but it is looking better and better!

Allan on
    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanks so much for the tips guys, i already feel like I have a better idea of what I'm doing. I took into account the comments on pacing and about the speech bubbles etc. obviously the biggest problem here is I didn't take into account readability of text post resizing. Anyhow, here's my latest, based on my less-than-genius friend's reaction to my last strip:
    Potential_Webcomic_4_by_RichardNobody.png

Pink Tentacle on