As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game ON] Star Wars RPG: a slick WEG D6 adventure starts on page 4

• UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Firearms is a separate weapon skill from Blaster, it covers the use of slugthrowers and projectile guns, like the Czerka-produced rifles used in the Huk wars.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    Firearms is a separate weapon skill from Blaster, it covers the use of slugthrowers and projectile guns, like the Czerka-produced rifles used in the Huk wars.

I count 8D of skills with that in mind, isn't that right?

edit- never mind, I can't count.

El Skid on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Edited that down then.

Denada on
  • nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ok, I edit'd my description as per your suggestion, but now I count 9D divided among my skills... should I remove one? if yes I'm going to remove pickpocket.

EDIT: ok, I changed the back story a bit as well. any more feedback from anybody?

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As a Duros you're getting an extra 1D for each die you've put into staritng starship skills.

At least that's how I'm interpreting it. Anyway, that'd leave you with 1D, and there is a Culinary Arts Knowledge skill if you want it.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ok, I've almost got my character finished. Just fleshing out the backstory a bit.

So dudes, we have a mechanic.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2008
    So our current cast is:

El Skid's Bounty Hunter (Talks to things)
    Denada's Gladiator (Beats on things)
    nefffff's Scoundrel (Flies around in things)
    Mad Jazz's ??? (Fixes up things)
    KrataLightBlade's ??? (Promises us things :P)

That sound right?

Edited for Neffffs newest iteration

El Skid on
    edited December 2008
    I'd say Neffff's scoundrel pilots and drinks things.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited December 2008
    there is a Culinary Arts Knowledge skill if you want it.

oh I'm on it. What book is it in?

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2008
    It shows up on a couple profiles for characters and Droids I can recall, particularly Fantastic Technology: Driods. It might also be in the Star Wars Trilogy Sourcebook, though I might be thinking of the various music, song, and dance skills the cantina and palace characters in variably had.

As I get it, Culinary Arts is a Knowledge skill, used for cooking and preparing food, and remembering various food items and recipes. Difficulty depends upon... I guess complexity and obscurity for the food. I'd be surprised if it came into play any time soon.

I'm probably going to write up an opening scene description soon, just to establish where your characters are and what they're intending to do when the game starts. Your characters will have contacted/been contacted to meet with the Chevin politician & business mogul 'Presidente Fante', in the economically-recessed Hoddarim sector, at his villa on the tropical planet Dibuleen. Officially you'll all be interviewed for various security positions, but in reality you're being offered to perform some sort of heist against rival criminal operations.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited December 2008
    Wow, that actually fits really well into my backstory. I'll try and post my full sheet after work tonight.

Looking forward to this game so hard.
    So hard

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2008
    OK, so here is the final character sheet. even though some of his skills may not be as useful as putting all my dice into being able to shoot a blaster, I like to think of them as "character building" skills. Also let me say that we should take this past one adventure and have a full on campaign. That would be brilliant.

Moose Dorno
    Type: Spacer/Scoundrel
    Duros Male

Stats:
    Dexterity 4D
    -Melee Combat: Knives 5D
    -Pickpocket: 5D

Knowledge 2D+2
    -Scholar: Mathematics 4D+2
    -Culinary Arts 3D+2

Mechanical 4D+1
    -Astrogation 6D+1
    -Space Transports 6D+1

Perception 3D
    -Gambling 5D
    -Persuasion 4D

Strength 2D
    Technical 2D

Move: 10
    Force Sensitive: No
    Force Points: 1
    Dark Side Points: 0
    Character Points: 5
    Equipment:
    -Chef's Knife
    --Damage: STR+1D

-Blaster Pistol
    --Ammo: 100
    --Fire Rate: 1
    --Range: 3-10/25/100
    --Damage: 4D

-Comlink

-Datapad

-Flask of Duresian whiskey

-3500 Credits
    Physical Description:
    Moose is of average hight and average build, though he has a bit of a gut that protrudes over his belt. His complexion is standard for his species; blue-gray skin and large orange eyes. He wears khaki pants tucked into his boots, and a charcoal gray jacket over a black shirt. His blaster pistol is holstered on his hip, and he keeps his knife in his boot.
    Back story:
    Raised on one of the orbital cities of Duro, Moose's father was an engineer who helped to build starships. For Moose's whole life he planned to follow in his father's footsteps, to study mathematics and the sciences, and to become an integral member of the Durese starship industry. Although he excelled at his studies Moose found the academic life to be monotonous and, his heart swollen with wanderlust and an urge to see the galaxy, he left school and signed on as a cook to the first starship crew he found. He took a liking to cooking (as well as to drinking and gambling) and pursued it as his trade throughout the galaxy.

After several years he had worked on many different starships for many different masters, and because of his work had gained much in the way of manual dexterity and skills with a knife. He also seemed to have a knack for the arts of astrogation and starship piloting. He began to take co-pilot jobs and honed his skills as a spacer like any true Duros. He became entranced with the spacer lifestyle, but because of his vices -- and the debts incurred in their pursuit -- he often found himself working with mercenaries and outlaws.
    Personality:
    Moose tends to gamble a lot and drink more than he should, occasionally engaging in either one or both of his vices at times that others might find "inappropriate." He has some regrets about decisions he has made in the past, though he hides them well. He tends to think he is smarter than everyone else around him and is not afraid to let them know, but knows when to show respect.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2008
    To clarify, the characters are not the crew of a ship, but hired guns, slicers, investigators, and con-artists hired for one or more particular shady assignments. The ship being flown by the pilot NPC made in the OP is not 'your ship' but simply a transport that will "shuttle the PCs around". Sorry if I wasn't specific about the adventure sooner.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited December 2008
    oh. shit. ok. i'll figure something out.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2008
    One suggestion would be that, rather than devote himself to starship engineering and maintenance, he became entranced by the 'action and free-spirit' idealization of spacers, especially smugglers, and became a starport drifter and ship hand.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited December 2008
    Well, looks like my last day of work before the 'holiday shutdown' this year is about half over, starting my vacation tomorrow. So we may be looking at late Saturday or Sunday night as the start of the game, leaving all of Sunday or Monday for the first turn.

So far I've got at least three players with characters nearly complete, and two more have expressed interest. There's still time for people to bail out or join in, and all the pre-generated characters on page one are still up for grabs.

I'm thinking we can rely on a wishlist for picking starting items; I've got several really useful items listed in the pre-generated characters and I can give out stats and costs for anyone who wants to chose from those or come up with requests for stuff I haven't listed. You'll have a turn or two after the start of the game to pick more equipment, as well.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This really makes me wish I could reliably post :P or at least read. D6 is so good.

Also: Hi CF, I miss you <3

fadingathedges on
    edited December 2008
    where we at?

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2008
    where we at?

This is an excellent question. <3

El Skid on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm thinking we can rely on a wishlist for picking starting items; I've got several really useful items listed in the pre-generated characters and I can give out stats and costs for anyone who wants to chose from those or come up with requests for stuff I haven't listed. You'll have a turn or two after the start of the game to pick more equipment, as well.

I think Cal wouldn't have much more than a blaster pistol, vibroblade, combat armor, some medpacs, and some money. He tends to travel light.

Denada on
    edited December 2008
    El Skid wrote: »
    where we at?

This is an excellent question. <3

Well first of all, it appears I have been away a day later than I originally stated; this is the first time I've even sat down in front of a PC in the last five days. So it appears my plan for an opening game narration is a bit delayed.

On the other hand, the rest of you hopefuls seem to have been in the same boat until today. We're still only at three confirmed characters and I haven't heard anything from our other two. I can give Denada his list of items with cost, and everyone else can borrow from those and request other items.

What date are we all looking at being available? I don't expect everybody to pop in and finish their characters within the next day, and I can't see myself having a turn on New Year's, so perhaps I'll hold the start of the game for Friday night.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited December 2008
    The only equipment I can really think of for a bounty hunter is a heavy blaster, comlink, datapad, and some really cool combat armour.

What are we able to get in the way of armour that would be cool and/or different? Additional bells and whistles like its own air supply or a built-in compartment for storing the blaster?

Or would anything like that totally out of the price range of a starting character?

Also, if there are any other cool items you can think of my character should have, please let me know :D

El Skid on
    edited December 2008
    Common items list:
    (Item name followed by basic stats: cost)

Knife (STR+1D): 25 credits
    Vibroblade (STR+2D+1, max 6D): 300 credits
    Blaster Pistol (4D): 500 credits
    Heavy Blaster Pistol (5D): 750 credits
    Blaster Carbine (5D): 900 credits
    Blaster Rifle (5D): 1,000 credits
    Grenade (5D/4D/3D/2D): 200 credits
    Explosive and Detonator (6D): 600 credits

Blast Helmet (+1D physical, +1 energy): 300 credits
    Blast Vest (+1D physical, +1 energy): 300 credits
    Combat Armor (+1D physical & energy): 2,000 credits
    Heavy Composite Armor (+2D physical, +1D energy): 2,800 credits

Medpac: 100 credits
    Blaster power pack: 25 credits
    Comlink 100 credits
    Glowrod: 10 credits
    Datapad: 50 credits
    Rations: 200 credits
    Breath Mask: 50 credits

All those are taken from the main rulebook and Star Wars Sourcebook, a few of them I modified on my own whims.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited December 2008
    El Skid wrote: »
    The only equipment I can really think of for a bounty hunter is a heavy blaster, comlink, datapad, and some really cool combat armour.

What are we able to get in the way of armour that would be cool and/or different? Additional bells and whistles like its own air supply or a built-in compartment for storing the blaster?

Or would anything like that totally out of the price range of a starting character?

Also, if there are any other cool items you can think of my character should have, please let me know :D

A good full-body suit of bounty hunter armor on the high end of protection (+2D/+1D against physical/energy damage) runs about 2,500 credits. It'd be bare-bones but anything more would probably be a powersuit and a big step outside your 5000 budget.

I tend to tack on additional doodads at roughly their stand-alone prices, rounding up as I go. An oxygen mask with a few hours air supply can probably be added for 300, an internal compartment would be similar to install in armor as within a droid, so let me check my Fantastic Technology: Droids book on that. I'd add a basic comlink for 100 and give the gauntlets some pop-out knuckle studs or brawling spikes for another 100.

Anything in the range of the stuff I've listed is automatically fine by me, and I wouldn't mind coming up with full stats and costs for an original model based on a brief description.

EDIT: The built-in blaster holster's cost would depend upon just how internal and hidden the compartment is supposed to be. A 'bolted-on' external holster would be 200 credits but readily spotted by anyone looking for weapons, while an internal compartment designed to secretively hide among internal workings and behind plates might cost ten times as much, but require a Search check to actively locate. I'd suggest 400 credits for a 'discrete' compartment, sort of a step below Robocop's thigh holster; it won't be hidden but it won't be bulky and immediately noticeable either.

So the total would be 3,400 for that suit of armor and all the frills I suggested. After including a heavy blaster pistol and datapad, you'll end up with at least 800 credits, which is more than enough to trade in for some kind of carbine or rifle, add more armor features, or just hold onto for later.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited December 2008
    Sold on the 400 credits idea- unfortunately, 2000 credits for a completely hidden compartment falls outside my budget :( I'll also ask for a built-in datapad that can be removed if desired built into the arm- say double the cost for that, so 100 credits?

So, we have

Bounty Hunter Armour (+2D/+1D physical/energy) 3500 credits total
    - built in comlink: 100
    - Air supply: 300
    - Brawling spikes: 100
    - External holster: 400
    - Built in datapad in arm: 100(?)

Heavy Blaster(5D):750
    2x power pack: 50
    Medpack: 100
    2x gas grenades (5D stun)- 500

100 credits remaining.

The last thing I'd want would be a stun/nerve gas grenade or 2. Something that would knock out most species in area-effect fashion... Very useful for bringing people in alive who don't want to be brought in. Not that I'd be using em too much if I'm working in a party... no, really! >_>

Otherwise, I think I'm good for equipment!

edit- done and done!

El Skid on
    edited December 2008
    That all looks reasonable to me.

Pick up two gas grenades (5D stun) for now at 250 credits each. If you find more grenades to buy later they'll inevitably be of a different manufacture and price, which is the nice aspect of inventing items on-the-fly when running an adventure in a galactic economy.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited December 2008
    yeah, I've already listed my equipment, and its all out of the primary rulebook. As far as my character goes, I don't really see him having much more than what I have listed.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2008
    Ok, then that's three players all ready to go.

Is that all we're getting, or what? That leaves two open spots.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would still be interested, but it might be the weekend before I could really sit down and chargen.

Wildcat on
    edited December 2008
    While I'd be willing to run the game with 4 players, I won't be adding players at the last minute without approving their characters before it starts.

The pre-generated character templates are still available, they just need to allocate 8D to suggested skills.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited December 2008
    Hi.

I would like to play but

1) I can only post in the evenings during the week (no earlier than 8ish EST)

2) I smell bad

If others with dibs are likely to fill that last seat or you would prefer someone who might be available during the day for bantering purposes that's completely understandable.

edit~ I have in the past played (mostly GM'd) tons of D6, I have the core book around here somewhere /rummage

fadingathedges on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you have an opening still, I can play Chen (the mercenary template you posted).

Don't have the book, been years since I've played, but I can probably pick it up easily enough.

8D of skills - 1 in each:

Blaster
    Dodge
    Intimidation
    Starship Gunnery
    Search
    Brawling
    Stamina
    First Aid

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited December 2008
    1) I can only post in the evenings during the week (no earlier than 8ish EST)

2) I smell bad

If others with dibs are likely to fill that last seat or you would prefer someone who might be available during the day for bantering purposes that's completely understandable.

1) One post per day is the only expectation I have, although it might limit you from participating in conversation or clarification opportunities that may arise during the day.

Because every round & scene is going to be resolved (or at least progressed with narration & GM dice rolls) at the same time each night, posting only at a late hour is not going to put you at much disadvantage over someone posting at an early hour. I'll post at midnight EST, whoever posts in the early hours invariably goes first in the round (including combat, so Perception won't be rolled for initiative, but I think it's a fair trade-off), everyone else posts over the course of the day, and then whoever checks the forums before my next midnight post will have time to read over the current round's posts and take their turn. In theory it should be much more consistent than resolving rounds 'whenever' and waiting around for additional posts.

Just try to preemptively let the thread know when you're not going to be available for a day, and maybe suggest what your character wants to do, so I don't have to resolve your turn for you in an unsatisfactory manner.

2) That's not important at all for a PBP game. But you guys seriously need to start showering every day.

EDIT: While I'd *like* to wait and hold posts open for the other two (or four, depending on how I count up the hopefuls and interested posters), it's been quite a while since I've heard from any of them, and only Denada, Neffff, and El Skid had provided any info on their characters before Christmas break. Horseshoe has claimed the character sheet for Chen Kalmurra (and he's free to edit it), so that brings it up to four players with characters ready.

Again, the fifth player will depend upon who has an approved sheet when we start, otherwise we'll go with four players. Obviously I won't delay the game if I'm ready and those four are ready but I'm still waiting on one of four or five people who 'promised promised PROMISED' to show their basic char concept by last week.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited December 2008
    Oh man, I almost forgot about this. I'll get something posted tonight after I get back from work.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2009
    Character!

Harek Loell
    Human Male, Age 24
    Height: 1.7m Weight: 68kg

Stats and skills:
    Dex: 2d+1
    Dodge: 3d+1
    Kno: 3d+1
    Streetwise: 4d+1
    Languages: 4d+1
    Mech: 3d
    Perc: 3d
    Investigation: 4d
    Bargain: 4d
    Str: 2d+1
    Tech: 4d
    Space Transports Repair: 5d
    Starfighter Repair: 5d
    Security: 5d

Move: 10
    Force Sensitive: No
    Force Points: 1
    Dark Side Points: 0
    Character Points: 5

Backstory:
    Harek grew up in the spaceport of Aroo, on the planet Manda. The son of one of the local ship mechanics, he developed an early interest in space travel, an interest his parents wanted to suppress. Having spent his childhood around spacers and their vessels, as well as the local merchant vehicles, Harek showed an incredible aptitude for keeping ground transports moving and keeping ships in the sky. Against the wishes of his parents, he decided to take his talents on the road and see the galaxy that so fascinated him. Gathering his meager savings, Harek got a post as the ship’s mechanic of a passing vessel and has used his skills to pave his way from world to world.

Personality:
    Basically, if it moves people or things, Harek can fix it (or certainly thinks he can). While working amongst the spacers passing through Aroo, he also learned the value of information, so he made it a point to develop the ability to discern what information held value and how to get it from its hiding places. However, even though he has kept company with some unsavory types, Harek is no hardened criminal. He just wants to see as much of the galaxy as he can, and he’s looking to use his considerable mechanical prowess to get wherever he wants to go.

Not the best writing I've ever done in my life, but I knocked it out in a few minutes while trying to get ready for new year's parties. =P

I'll take a few minutes tomorrow during the day to get his inventory taken care of, I'm not working so it shouldn't be a problem.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, I never got to check out D6 Star Wars despite loving the books.

Sadly you're doing a Rebellion era theme, and when it comes to SW gaming I'm all about the Jedi, so this game probably ain't for me. Still, you should be in for good times.

Snake Gandhi on
    edited January 2009
    Between Jazz and Hshoe you are probably covered, I'll poke around and be sure no one drops though.

Otherwise, GL HF I will be reading along :)

fadingathedges on
    edited January 2009
    Maybe I'll run with six for the next game, which if all goes smoothly this adventure will only take a bit under six weeks to tie up.

I'll get to writing the opening narration tonight or tomorrow, which I might as well post early as the first turn is really meant for the party to mingle, introduce themselves and form a group.

The overview I gave at the top of page 3 still covers the basic backstory, in the meantime:
    Your characters will have contacted/been contacted to meet with the Chevin politician & business mogul 'Presidente Fante', in the economically-recessed Hoddarim sector, at his villa on the tropical planet Dibuleen. Officially you'll all be interviewed for various security positions, but in reality you're being offered to perform some sort of heist against rival criminal operations.

Your characters don't know much about the 'job' other than it's illegal, probably targets Fante's political rivals or competing cartels, and will involve a variety of skills of combat, security-slicing, and stealth. A lot of the thugs and scoundrels that have been invited are apparently being given much smaller jobs; if you want a shot at the big gig you'll have to pick out complimentary individuals (the other PCs; they players are well-rounded so that works out well) and put yourselves forward as a team.

You'll all definitely want to have basic character descriptions in your first action or before then. If you're encased in armor that should include it's main characteristics (color, style) and whether they ever see your face or not. I want everyone to know each player's general appearance and mannerism and can tell them apart.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited January 2009
    Reporting in- ready and waiting for IC goodness :D

El Skid on
    edited January 2009
    OP updated with player/character roster at the bottom.

Mad Jazz, for now I've given your character a Datapad, Comlink, Tool Belt with Fusion Cutter and Plasma Welder, Starship Toolkit, Security Systems Toolkit, and 4315 Credits as appropriate starting equipment. You can change or add to it in the meantime.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif