As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finally I'm Purchasing a Working Video Card

Frank BrakFrank Brak Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
but I don't know which one.

I don't really keep up on any of this stuff, so it's all foreign to me. And this is why I've turned to you--the masses. I'm looking to spend no more than $200.

The specs:
AMD Sempron 2600+ 1.61GHz
1.12 GB of RAM

Current nonworking video card:

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500

I don't do a lot of PC gaming partly because the video card won't even show YouTube videos in full screen without crashing but I'd like to be able to run games decently if I wanted to.

Any suggestions?

"hold the phone. now give the phone to me."
Frank Brak on

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's kind of hard to suggest since any decent video card (even under 200 dollars) would be bottle-necked by your RAM and CPU.

Magus` on
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You're also going to be looking at an AGP video card (old tech).

I wouldn't spend more than $60 on that system.

Serpent on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If your mobo can handle more RAM, and has a PCI-E slot, it's worth upgrading. If it can't, and it doesn't, pocket your $200 for now, save up some more, and buy a new system when you get about $400-$600.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Frank BrakFrank Brak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think I just solved my problem. I tricked my father into switching computers with me. He just bought one but I sold him on the idea that I have a wireless keyboard and mouse and also the ability to dual screen.

The lesson I learned: If you have something that doesn't work, trick someone who doesn't know any better into taking it.

Frank Brak on
    "hold the phone. now give the phone to me."
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That seems wrong, but hey, it's your family.

Magus` on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If he's anything like my parents, he won't know the difference.

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.