As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is this anime?

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
All I remember is it dealt with young people (teens?) who were learning to use mechs or something like that. They had to watch out for some 'trance' mode or something where they would turn like pure white and their hair would pull a DBZ-like thing. Why it was a 'bad' thing I don't remember.

I only remember seeing one or two episodes and this was several years ago, so that's really all I can remember.

Magus` on

• Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fullmetal Alchemist? Teens and mechs...I don't know about the DBZ hair. I've only seen a few episodes myself.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's definitely not Fullmetal Alchemist.

P.S. Fullmetal Alchemist is totally fucking awesome, and like Samurai Champloo is worthy of a spot in your DVD library.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sounds almost like Evangelion, but I've only seen a single episode of that.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Shot in the dark here, especially considering I haven't really seen it, but maybe Eureka Seven?

There's teens. And there's mechs. And a 'trance' thing that's some sort of disease.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

"Desperation Disease is a coma-like condition in Eureka Seven. Those suffering from it become near-vegetables, save for a fixation on a Compac Drive. The sickness is related to the relationship of the Scub Coral, the Trapar, and the Compac Drive; all three together drive the victim deep into a trance which leads their consciousness to the coralian command cluster."

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My first instinct is Evangelion but Eureka 7 is also a possibility as the two are somewhat similar on the surface. But neither really seem to quite fit with the DBZ thing.

Quid on
  • Options
    HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Are you talking about Blue Gender? If so, I assume you would have mentioned the HUGE FUCKING BUGS, but I thought I would throw it out there. It does have "sleepers" in it, which are the human/blue experiment gone awry if I remember correctly...

edit: nm, just reread your post and there is definitely no white hair craziness going on in Blue Gender...

Hlubocky on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, I remembered some other stuff.

The art style is more 'cute' then realistic. I don't recall (at least in the episodes I saw) the people ever leaving the training facility. I'm assuming since I just randomly saw it it was on TV, like Cartoon Network or whatnot.

It is not Eva or Eureka 7 or anything really well known, that much I'm sure. The 'trance' thing makes it so they become super able in their mechs or whatnot, but for some reason it's bad.

If I remember anything else, I'll be sure to let you know.

Magus` on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    what was the animation like? Did it look old or new? Several years ago could be 2004 for all we know.

The newer stuff looks more crisper and shinier than the anime from the 90's and earlier. If I remember right the 90's characters were drawn much rounder compared to current shows.

Trying to nail down a mech anime is a needle in a haystack sometimes.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It looked 'new'. Akin to say.. Bleach maybe. Not the same style, but the, uh, newness? It would've been past 2000, that's for damn sure.

Also, it seemed to have a strong comedic element. Nothing outrageous but it wasn't 'super cereal'.

Magus` on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Do you recall any names of characters, or names of anything in the show at all?

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I remember there was a guy with 24/7 stubble. He was a teacher.

The training took place inside giant rooms in the facility. I'm pretty sure they had to suit up to get inside the mechs.

And their entire bodies turn white. Or near white. Not just the hair.

Magus` on
  • Options
    ShadowThomasShadowThomas Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think you're thinking of Pilot Candidate

The characters are learning to pilot mechs and they have a special ability that they can use, but it wasn't a bad thing (or at least from what I recall).

ShadowThomas on
  • Options
    devicesdevices Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think you're thinking of Pilot Candidate

The characters are learning to pilot mechs and they have a special ability that they can use, but it wasn't a bad thing (or at least from what I recall).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz86Y1XtPoA ?

devices on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I.. I think that might be it? It sure looks familiar.

Did I do an accurate job of describing it?

Magus` on
  • Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Code Geass

Code geass?

What on