As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

for whom the bell tolls?

junipejunipe Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Artist's Corner
it tolls for thee. that's right i have finally decided to post some of my art (using that term very loosely) and excepting all ridicule and criticism. i do not have my sketch book with me so im only going to post this one drawing tonight. i might draw something later on and post it though.

img002pn7.jpg

i know, what he's sitting on is supposed to be a chair but... um... were was i going with this?

junipe on

• Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Welcome! find your sketchbook and start scanning and posting!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    L.E.O.L.E.O. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    get some pictures of models, preferably nudes and draw them, do studies of anatomy, like proportions, muscle groupings, etc.

but yeah mostly just draw your ass off.

L.E.O. on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    yeah later in the week im planning on getting some books on anatomy but i doubt i can get nude models because im 14...

junipe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    i got my sketch book and here are some of the few good ones from my new one. i'll post some from my old one later some of those are nicer. some of these arnt really cleaned up much.

kidrobots001yq7.jpg

sombieonwall002cy2.jpg

somechick002tj9.jpg

woops forgot one

moon001cu3.jpg

junipe on
  • Options
    Pink TentaclePink Tentacle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    you've got a magnificent grasp of form and I especially like your shading. A great artist you will one day make.
    Nice style d00d.

Pink Tentacle on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    thanks, i really appreciate it. i was looking at some of your Art earlier and it looked awesome. im glad you like the shading because ive been working on it for a while now.

junipe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    heres a bad drawing i did of a photo of a friend of mine. i think the eyes are way too big. id love some feedback on this too.

badluarasketch001ms1.jpg

junipe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    hrees something i drew doing science. but its not like i missed anything important all the teacher talks about is trees.

lucusteatinghand002pp9.jpg

junipe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    theres this kid in my class and a while ago he asked me to do a drawin of him so i did... here it is... yeah.

kylechill020xr9.jpg

and we were also messing around in english making jokes about captain morgin commercials. and he actually said i should drwa him like that so i did... also we said this other kid was just a deck swabber and kyle kept demanding him to "swab his deck"

kyle017qc3.jpg

junipe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    i real like this webcomic aclled MS paint adventures and i drew some stuff thats like 1920/detective i drew these in a sort of series were the one will lead to another and the fallowing one will have something from the previous incorporated into it.

sittinginoffice018kv3.jpg

my.php?image=inthealley023dk1.jpg

breajinbar026hp6.jpg

my.php?image=inthebar006av2.jpg

my.php?image=sittingatbar015cr4.jpg

in the comic there are also two other detectives named "ace dick"and "pickle inspector" i decided to draw them in a weird way and my friend sean liked how ace dick looked.

acedickpickleinspect019vv0.jpg

also the web comic gets really weird later on in the story and theres actually some surprisingly good art in it so i kind of incorporated two scenes from the story together but i had to reference to the originals allot.

piaja025jy6.jpg

sorry some show as links because something didnt save right...

junipe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    those last gangsta ones made me laugh. If you could work on the drawings a bit more, theyd look super cool

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That would be Special-Olympics' comic. Theyre based off a thread that was started in his art forums following the great exile of artist from these boards when things started getting retardo-stupid.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    huh... well thats good to know i guess. i took a shot at editing the drawing of my friend and i want to know if its any good.

laurahx6.jpg

junipe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    too much going on with the hair. Simplify it to simple strokes and try to use correct values. hair is a bitch to paint/draw if you think of it as having to draw each individual strand of hair. And i see you have the same problem as i do. Some may call it 'football eyes'

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    too much going on with the hair. Simplify it to simple strokes and try to use correct values. hair is a bitch to paint/draw if you think of it as having to draw each individual strand of hair. And i see you have the same problem as i do. Some may call it 'football eyes'

yeah the hair is kind of messed up. i think i drew it like that because that's sort of how i do hair when im drawing by hand. and eah the eyes are way too big. i rally want to learn to draw from life and make it look good so most of my high school classes are going to be art related.

junipe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    well i made the hair a little more translucent. it sort of makes it look simpler but its still not great.

laurawz1.jpg

junipe on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    man I was really expecting a cover illustration for the novel by hemingway..

I dont have anything else to contribute.. just keep drawing.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    these two were a bit of a running thing in my sketch book. im not good at original clothes so just drew him in a sweat shirt and the chick in a jacket one of my friends usually wears.

wasitthatbad001fq4.jpg

whenclasend002kh4.jpg

i know the angle on the desks in the second one is way off and it messes up the entire sketch but i figured if i was going to pose one i should post the other.

junipe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    the guy from the last two drawings was a running thing in my sketch book like i said so here are the other pics with him in them.

thanksdickweed005lq0.jpg

stairing007uw3.jpg

junipe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    the guy from the previous sketches including the captain Morgan one has this band thing that i know shit about but he asked me to draw something for the band and i didnt come up with anything good because when it comes to shit for bands ive drawn a blank... no pun intended said Jake as he snickered in front of his Macintosh.

robot021wx0.jpg

glassfoundatiohand011pc6.jpg

junipe on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    I think part of the problem with the portrait of your friend is that you don't seem to have a good grasp yet of shadows and how they can inform the form of the face (and other things). I'm going to ask your forgiveness for posting something I drew, with the explanation that I drew it as an example:

exsk.jpg

Which I sketched real quick from a photo of a friend:

exph.jpg

I tried to simplify the shading a bit, just to show how shadows have shape just like the outlines of the objects themselves, and they help our brains determine the form of the object, so when you're drawing something from real life, pay particular attention to the shapes of those shadows. It's a bit less explicit when you're dealing with soft shadows, but the face has an abundance of shapely shadows, so you have to pay attention. As a third example, I did a quick paintover (if you can call it that; I don't even have the luxury of a mouse, so I had to whack it out with the eraser nib on my laptop) of your portrait; I don't mean to posit that it's much improved, but do notice how the form of the face is a bit clearer.

paintover.jpg

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ok i see what you mean. and i really like your drawing. its really nice. i hope you dont mind if i use it as a reference every now and again.

junipe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    well heres one trying to use more shades. its not very good and i didnt make it very simple like cradaddio's drawing. but i think its somewhat and improvment.

crappyportrate002ve5.jpg

god thats bad . o_O

junipe on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    You're starting to get the idea, but you need to push it--remember that lighting, and by extension, shadows, is a major major way of conveying form. Don't be afraid to really push your values. I'm going to be rude once again and put up another image, but this one is a bit clearer about shading and the face, so hopefully it will be justified:

shading.gif

You'll have to excuse my crappy hatching--pen isn't really a medium I'm used to, but it's a bit easier showing the shading with it. I think. Also, you'll have to excuse the proportions, too. Anyway, aside from what's written on the figure, also:
    • The shading on the side of the face follows the cheekbone to the eye, and then the temporal...fossae? I can't remember the name, but it's the depression on the side of your head.
    • Most people's noses are shaped like wedges with two "wings" on the side, where the nostrils are. Keep those wings in mind when you shad the nose; often times, they'll catch more light than the bulb of the nose.
    • Something a lot of people neglect when they draw eyes is the fact that the whites of the eyes are also going to be in shadow, so they're almost never really white, at least as you draw them. Your eyebrows act like a visor over that entire area--eyeballs are shaded, too.
    Now, these things don't always show up; if, for instance, you've got very flat lighting, you may have very little of these shadows. And they're really apparent when you have more dramatic dramatic spotlight-style lighting. Speaking of which, it may be a good exercise to take a desk lamp and a mirror, and draw yourself, paying attention to the shapes of the shadows, and thinking about the reason those shadows take those shapes--try to make a self-portrait using only three colors: black, medium grey, and white. Remember, also, that the face can be thought of as being made up of several simple shapes: the overall shape is a cylinder, with two depressions gouged out of the eyes, a cut-off wedge for a nose, a barrel for the lip area, and so forth.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    junipe wrote: »
    well heres one trying to use more shades. its not very good and i didnt make it very simple like cradaddio's drawing. but i think its somewhat and improvment.

crappyportrate002ve5.jpg

god thats bad . o_O

You need to stop "shading" and start lighting, which is to say that you need to think about your light model and where the light and dark spots on the form are going to fall rather than just putting some pencil marks down on the side and bottom of every shape.

Study light by studying a simple object at first, start with a sphere or an egg with a single lightsource. You need to draw from life a lot more in general. Working on your observation skills should be your primary focus right now if you want to get better. Your line quality also needs a lot of work. Your drawings are all very scratchy and you're "petting" the line. Think about where you want your line to begin and end and then do it in a single stroke if you can, moving from your elbow or your shoulder.

Try drawing one of your classmates as they actually appear sitting near you, rather than as a grotesque giraffe-necked twig cartoon person.

Scosglen on