As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wii] Core Games AOC - After October Conference - Games? GAMES!! [56k GTFO]

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Isn't it funny how one of the best compliments a company can get is that they created a "near Nintendo quality title." :P

It's something that isn't said about most companies out there....I mean you don't see anyone complimenting a game by saying "Yea, the game is near a Ubisoft quality title!"

haha

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh man don't get me started on the whole "Nintendo Quality game" thing. I have a friend who swears the only reason I say that is because I'm a Nintendo fanboy. I was talking to him about how bad the shovelware is on the DS and that you have to go through a ton of SHIT to find some gold nowadays, and he brought up some Yoga game or whatever.

Then he started asking if it were made by Nintendo would I have thought the game would be better, and I said yes because if Nintendo made it, they would have had a higher quality. He argued that I only said that because I am a Nintendo fanboy.

/rant.

urahonky on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I dunno, I found FF:CC on the gc to be much more entertaining due to the presentation. The graphics and sound kept me going through it, whereas I put down the ds version after a few levels.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Don't know if this question has been asked already but is Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop a highly anticipated Wii game? I hear it uses the RE 4: Wii engine but I never played the Wii version so while I'm interested in it I'm not sure what to expect.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Isn't it funny how one of the best compliments a company can get is that they created a "near Nintendo quality title." :P

It's something that isn't said about most companies out there....I mean you don't see anyone complimenting a game by saying "Yea, the game is near a Ubisoft quality title!"

haha

Blizzard, Valve, and possibly BioWare are the only other companies I can think of with that kind of pedigree.

Taramoor on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Taramoor wrote: »

haha

Blizzard, Valve, and possibly BioWare are the only other companies I can think of with that kind of pedigree.

And Bungie depending on who you ask.
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Don't know if this question has been asked already but is Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop a highly anticipated Wii game? I hear it uses the RE 4: Wii engine but I never played the Wii version so while I'm interested in it I'm not sure what to expect.
    I don't have anything to play Dead Rising on (wait, it's not PC, is it) so I'm thinking about getting it. It looks like an admirable effort to me, but I think at best everyone is waiting to see if they can even come close to 360 levels...and then will laugh at it anyway. Even if they could get the number of zombies right, the complaint would be "but look at how terrible the graphics are!"

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think it will be interesting to see just how close they can get to the original Dead Rising.

And Ubisoft Montreal is high up on the awesome list, although lower than Nintendo and Blizzard and them.

SirUltimos on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Taramoor wrote: »

haha

And Bungie depending on who you ask.
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I don't have anything to play Dead Rising on (wait, it's not PC, is it) so I'm thinking about getting it. It looks like an admirable effort to me, but I think at best everyone is waiting to see if they can even come close to 360 levels...and then will laugh at it anyway. Even if they could get the number of zombies right, the complaint would be "but look at how terrible the graphics are!"

I just saw some gameplay footage from youtube and it pretty much is RE 4 in a different setting but I love RE 4 so I'll probably get it.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dead Rising Wii uses the RE4 engine? Or apes it explicitly?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think it will be the RE4 engine, only modified.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    In a recent interview, they said their goal that their goal of 100 zombies on screen was approached but never reached. That'll give you a general idea of what it'll be like. Personally, I'm not all that interested, but capcom does seem to be putting in some effort, though whether it'll really be enough to make it a good game is yet to be seen. To me, it looks like a lower res version of the 360 build...which is what I guess they were going for in the first place.

edit: Holy shit, this thread is at 94 pages...wtf. Should I make a new thread with the new year with only prospective 2009 games? Should I include a "recommended wii purchases" list? Have people found this thread helpful at all?

I'm kind of wary of turning this into one of the megathreads of old that got the axe.

Guek on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dead Rising Wii uses the RE4 engine? Or apes it explicitly?

I'm 99% sure Capcom confirmed that it's actually the Resi4-Wii-Edition engine. And if you watch more recent gameplay videos, you can really tell.

slash000 on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I recently got a 360 but am waiting on the Wii version of Dead Rising so I can see which is best. I want to own it, that much is clear, but I'm probably willing to sacrifice a certain amount of graphical prowess for gameplay polishes and tweaks.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Guek wrote: »
    In a recent interview, they said their goal that their goal of 100 zombies on screen was approached but never reached. That'll give you a general idea of what it'll be like. Personally, I'm not all that interested, but capcom does seem to be putting in some effort, though whether it'll really be enough to make it a good game is yet to be seen. To me, it looks like a lower res version of the 360 build...which is what I guess they were going for in the first place.

edit: Holy shit, this thread is at 94 pages...wtf. Should I make a new thread with the new year with only prospective 2009 games? Should I include a "recommended wii purchases" list? Have people found this thread helpful at all?

I'm kind of wary of turning this into one of the megathreads of old that got the axe.

I think there's not enough Big Wii releases to have seperate threads for all of them (except for the few really big ones) and even if we make a thread for a smaller game (like Mushroom Men) it quickly dies. I think this is a good thread to keep track of the good, core Wii games. I know for one that this thread has made me buy both World of Goo and de Blob, two games I enjoyed immensely. I'd contact a mod about this, see what they think.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've enjoyed this thread a lot

Xaquin on
  • stavesacrestavesacre Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I've enjoyed this thread a lot

Indeed, I like being able to catch up on my info here. And having other people to squeal with over small updates.

stavesacre on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    I for one enjoy a thread focused to the core Nintendo titles, and chatting with people that can discuss the system in an adult manner without reverting to immature cliche insults.

The current trend of blind bashing systems for stupid reasons wears thin on me.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited December 2008
    I recently got a 360 but am waiting on the Wii version of Dead Rising so I can see which is best. I want to own it, that much is clear, but I'm probably willing to sacrifice a certain amount of graphical prowess for gameplay polishes and tweaks.

Honestly Jam, Dead Rising was amazing on the 360. All the crying about it being too hard and the save system (seriously, what the fuck was wrong with the save system? There's a save point at every part of the mall. Use the maps!) were way overplayed. I'd rent it on the 360 now and get it over with. :)

urahonky on
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

Honestly Jam, Dead Rising was amazing on the 360. All the crying about it being too hard and the save system (seriously, what the fuck was wrong with the save system? There's a save point at every part of the mall. Use the maps!) were way overplayed. I'd rent it on the 360 now and get it over with. :)

imo, wii aiming justifies the wait for any game, period.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
    edited December 2008
    carmofin wrote: »

I hardly ever used a gun. Who needs that when you got a sledge hammer, chainsaw, and knife? But really the lack of putting your own music in the game and slaying monsters to some awesome power metal will seriously detract from the experience in my opinion.

urahonky on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Guek, I absolutely love this thread and check it and post in it constantly. It's one of the best places to get opinions about released and upcoming games. No joke.

Honestly, if the OP in a new thread was expanded into two lists of released must-buys and unreleased games I think it would continue to be useful now and in the future.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I agree, the thread is very useful and I enjoy it. Most Wii games aren't 'big' enough for this forum so this is a great place to catch up and learn about them.

SirUltimos on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think if this crosses the line somebody will let us know. I'd say keep doing what we're doing until we're told otherwise.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I hardly ever used a gun. Who needs that when you got a 2x4, a lightsaber, and a friggin' park bench? But really the lack of putting your own music in the game and slaying monsters to some awesome power metal will seriously detract from the experience in my opinion.

I enjoyed Dead Rising so much more when I was just wrecking up shit with the most absurd/badass things I could find.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited January 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

I hardly ever used a gun. Who needs that when you got a 2x4, a lightsaber, and a friggin' park bench? But really the lack of putting your own music in the game and slaying monsters to some awesome power metal will seriously detract from the experience in my opinion.

I enjoyed Dead Rising so much more when I was just wrecking up shit with the most absurd/badass things I could find.

Thowing shitty pop cds never got old. :P

urahonky on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

Thowing shitty pop cds never got old. :P

I want to see this in the Wii version:
    20060820.jpg

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is one of the threads I check most often on PA. Definitely keep it going!

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    edited January 2009
    I want Deadly Creatures right now. But they keep delaying it....jerks. :x

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited January 2009
    they delayed it again?

METAzraeL on

edited January 2009
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/934/934672p1.html

Yea, till February....which even though I'm impatient, it isn't a bad thing. First off, if it was released around the holidays it would have been absolutely crushed. Second, De Blob was delayed a few times and look how fantastic it turned out.

I have faith that THQ will have another fantastic game on their hands, and I hope it does well enough for a sequel.

Long story short.....I WANT TO KILL THINGS AS A SCORPIAN! :x

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited January 2009
    oh, I thought that you meant they delayed it past February.

METAzraeL on

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »

Really. Had to suppress the urge to kill there for a bit.

I'm very cool with February.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    METAzraeL wrote: »

Really. Had to suppress the urge to kill there for a bit.

I'm very cool with February.

Yeah, it's not that long and what matters is that it doesn't come out as a rushed effort.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
    edited January 2009
    Sorry guys...I just hadn't had the opportunity to complain about the delay until just now. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited January 2009
    I think it'll be a good kick-off for a year that should see the Wii really coming into its own. I haven't been the biggest fan of mine, but I'm really interested in the lineup for 2009.

Plus, I don't even have a tv right now, and I still have Dead Space, Pure, Nuts and Bolts, and Ninja Gaiden 2 to play through D:

METAzraeL on

edited January 2009
    I am one of the few though that have found many things to play on the Wii that were worthwhile throughout the last couple of years, but I can understand your sentament.

You are correct, as far as the main gaming community is concerned, 2009 should be the year that proves the Wii can be just as viable as a gaming platform as the other two systems.

I just can't wait for Deadly Creatures and Sin & Punishment 2.

I also look forward to E3 09 since I honestly think that Nintendo has learned its lesson from last year. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am one of the few though that have found many things to play on the Wii that were worthwhile throughout the last couple of years, but I can understand your sentament.

You are correct, as far as the main gaming community is concerned, 2009 should be the year that proves the Wii can be just as viable as a gaming platform as the other two systems.

I just can't wait for Deadly Creatures and Sin & Punishment 2.

I also look forward to E3 09 since I honestly think that Nintendo has learned its lesson from last year. :P
    Iwata wrote:
    Oh, and one more thing.

*Reveals FFXIII for Wii*

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Agreed, I was never without anything to play on the Wii. Sure, I have gaming ADD and jump from game to game to game and take ages to finish them, I also play them mostly in short bursts (low blood pressure, if I play for too long I get dizzy), but I didn't feel a draught at all.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Akatsuki wrote: »

Agreed, I was never without anything to play on the Wii. Sure, I have gaming ADD and jump from game to game to game and take ages to finish them, I also play them mostly in short bursts (low blood pressure, if I play for too long I get dizzy), but I didn't feel a draught at all.

Agreed, other than winter 2008, I've had plenty of games to play on the Wii.
    Winter 2008 really sucks though - so few good games.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Arde wrote: »
    Akatsuki wrote: »

Agreed, other than winter 2008, I've had plenty of games to play on the Wii.
    Winter 2008 really sucks though - so few good games.

Well, I consider that Nintendo's reprieve for me to catch up on all the Wii games that I had to skip over the first time around.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop