As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CoH/CoV] I14 is live, now go make some catgirl arcs

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Narbus wrote: »
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Any advice for a Rad/Psychic Defender?

I mean, other than "Dear God, don't do it!!"

Ignore the damagey parts of your secondary, for the most part. Take the controlly powers. Defender are really best on a team, so take powers that make up for the fact that your damage is a horrible joke.

If you're going to do this, you might as well make a Controller. Why make a Defender and focus on control parts of the secondary when you could offer far greater team support by just making a controller. The differences between Defender primaries and Controller Secondaries are really pretty narrow, and not very noticeable.

He might as well make a Mind/Rad or Ill/Rad if he's going to go that route.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Corvus wrote: »

Ignore the damagey parts of your secondary, for the most part. Take the controlly powers. Defender are really best on a team, so take powers that make up for the fact that your damage is a horrible joke.

If you're going to do this, you might as well make a Controller. Why make a Defender and focus on control parts of the secondary when you could offer far greater team support by just making a controller. The differences between Defender primaries and Controller Secondaries are really pretty narrow, and not very noticeable.

Much as I love my defenders, I have to agree with this. It's hard to make a case for the defender blast sets. However, going controller instead can leave the character with an overwhelming selection of useful powers and can really unfocus your build if you're not careful in choosing and slotting powers.

It hurt to write those first two sentences. Why must they make defenders suffer so? :cry:
    Nocren wrote: »

how can I apply this advice to a dark/elec defender?

Make sure you slot up Aim, Tesla Cage, and maybe Short Circuit. You can make a good case for Thunderous Blast + Tar Patch too, though I've never liked the -end -recovery of the nukes on my defenders. But that's what blue insps are for. AFAIK Sentinel is still not very good, but you can make use of it. Beyond that, just beef up your 2 ST blasts and your AOE blast (assuming you take all three) enough so that they're worthwhile to use.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It hurt to write those first two sentences. Why must they make defenders suffer so?

Because we all know defenders are terrible, yet people refuse to believe it and refuse to allow any buffs on defenders.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Though, to be honest, ANY kind of change in the game at all results in a certain percentage of the forum population rising up and crying like delicate little flowers made of moonbeams and the tears of pixies.

There was someone in the defender forums a while back who suggested that defenders didn't need vigilance (their inherent) to be changed because defenders were just so great overall. I've seen people post angry that they introduced IOs to the game, I've seen them mad that they added soul drain to corrupter patrons since now there's no reason to take any other patron!!!!!! despite the fact that leviathan mastery got hibernate, mace mastery got PFF, and mu mastery got POWER SURGE. They BUFFED a set and people were pissed.

Mostly the forums exist to be viewed from a distance.

Narbus on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Corvus wrote: »

I'll be running solo a fair amount. Yes, I know, a solo Defender sounds silly, but I love Defenders and I'm patient. I played a Dark/Dark for a long time, back when Tar Patch didn't provide the -Res and it seemed to take a minute to take down a minion. That said I'd like a bit better damage this time around. Looking back over the Psy blast powers I'm thinking of going with Sonic or Archery instead. Sonic provides better damage and some minor control capability, and Archery has inherent Accuracy and looks wicked cool.

Of course, I'm also tempted to try a Psy/MM Blaster just for the Hell of it.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nocren wrote: »

how can I apply this advice to a dark/elec defender?
    Well it's been over a year since I've played but I do have a dark/elec defender somewhere in the mid 40's. The main thing to remember is that you can't kill, but you can hold and debuff. Fearsome Stare will hold a room as well as debuff the accuracy of whoever is being attacked. Petrifying Gaze + Tesla Cage will hold a boss, just don't miss because your hold durations aren't that long. Darkest Night and Shadowfall make you harder to hit. And Tar Patch makes everything better.

Personally, I'd skip Short Circuit. It does pitiful damage, end drain has been dead for a long time, and it puts you much too close to the action.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So are there any other robot like costume parts besides the rocket boots and wings that I can get?

Quid on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    So are there any other robot like costume parts besides the rocket boots and wings that I can get?
    You mean in-game? Not really. Vanguard stuff can look pretty robotic depending on how you use it.
    Depending on the power set you use some of the talsorian weapon skins can look high tech.
    You can also pick up the cyborg costume pack for about 10 bucks, if you're into that kind of thing.

see317 on
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I was hoping the main option wasn't the cyborg pack. Ah well.

Quid on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2008
    the cyborg stuff isn't even that roboty. I didn't use any of it on my robot.

also I haven't played in like two weeks because playing below 32 sucks balls so unless I find a way to power level an alt I think I might be done

Tube on
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just cancelled my account. Was out on vacation with family so didn't play for a week, and didn't have any interest to keep playing. I'll most likely be back for architect.

I know I know, you'll miss me, but cheer up. It's New Year's Eve.

KurnDerak on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    the cyborg stuff isn't even that roboty. I didn't use any of it on my robot.

also I haven't played in like two weeks because playing below 32 sucks balls so unless I find a way to power level an alt I think I might be done

make a character you want to have leveled, make a leveling pact with that character and another character. Then find your self some one to get you in to a farm group in Grandvill with a guy around 46 (so he can lk you) and just do that until your the level you want. I'm doing this with a friend of mine because I can't for the life of me play the early levels of this game with out getting extremely frustrated or bored.

It works out well because I'll have a nice shiny high level character with little effort (hell, I left the house to get snacks one night while doing this, came back to like 6 more levels), and he'll get an alt he wants leveled up, while sitting at the entrance to the mission with me on his lvl 46 (who he has EXP gain turned off). I got to level 14 in an hour because I was getting 1/2 the EXP (because the other level pact character wasn't online and grouped with me) but he also got a level 14 character out of the deal too. If your not in a pact, then you can probably get 26 levels in an hour with a good team.

I'm not to sure how people feel about this kind of power leveling. But honestly, I really don't like the lower level stuff for either side. Its just not good. The later stuff sounds really fun though, so I'm just skipping ahead to the part's i'll like!

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The only problem with powerlevelling is that it takes the learning experience out of the equation - you end up with a level 26 dude with a bunch of powers and no idea how they should be used, and suchlike. Of course, you'll learn pretty quickly, but...

The lower levels are really fast now, anyhow. Especially in a group. It's best if you plan a -group- of characters rather than just one, with a few friends, then play with them exclusively. Of course, you won't get to game as often as you would if you were alone, but just treat it like a social thing, sort of a get-together for games and movies at a friend's house, only you don't have to get dressed and leave the house.

Solo, I got my new Ice/Elec Blaster up to 10 in about 3 hours of gaming, which isn't bad. If I'd been in one of the custom-built-teams I've made with friends in the past, well. We'd probably have gamed longer, and been around level 20 or so. It was -so- much fun when CoV came out, and we made an all-Corruptor themed team designed to power through stuff so fast it was unreal. And we did! Though we were sort of like a team of snowboarders - we either looked fuckin' awesome, or DEAD.

Kay2 on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kay wrote: »
    The only problem with powerlevelling is that it takes the learning experience out of the equation - you end up with a level 26 dude with a bunch of powers and no idea how they should be used, and suchlike. Of course, you'll learn pretty quickly, but...

That problem goes for every RPG ever. It's why I turned down most every offer to be power leveled in CoX. I didn't (and still don't) understand a lot of class mechanics and powers, and I'd be robbed of a scaled learning environment.

Henroid on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I enjoy the lower levels much more now that I team up more, and also look up Story Arcs on Paragon Wiki. Then it almost becomes like an offline story-based RPG. For example, my Brute is 27 and enjoying lots of beating on Longbow, because his backstory is he used to be a hero until Longbow found out some skeletons in his closet and ruined him.

Equally my magic Controller has ended up getting some COT-killing badges because of his backstory.

It's not that I like to RP, it's more that every character is a concept and a backstory and a look. I never talk in-character, but in my head it's RP all the way.

Does anyone else do that?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
    edited January 2009
    oh yeah

Tube on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, is there a convenient way to transfer Influence between characters, or do you need to use a third party?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
    edited January 2009
    No there isn't.
    Easiest way is still get a third party to hold you Inf while you switch.

see317 on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You can use the auction house, if you don't mind eating the commission.

Step 1: Log in the character that you want to transfer influence to.

Step 2: Get your hands on some oddball enhancement, like a 37 fear TO.

Step 3: Make sure no one else is selling one of those on the AH; you need to have the only one for sale (this is easier than it sounds, just might just have to dig a little bit).

Step 4: Note the sales history, and list yours for a price that's both unreasonably high for that enhancement (as to dissuade anyone who might try to snipe your auction from doing so), but low enough that you can actually afford the list cost.

Step 5: Log in to the character you want to transfer influence from.

Step 6: Go and check the auction history for the item you just listed: does the history look the same? Still only one for sale?

Step 7: Buy it for however much you want to transfer plus about 10% (compensating for the commission).

Step 8: Log back on to the original character, enjoy your new influence.

s3rial one on
    edited January 2009
    you're better off just asking, anyone at PA will do it for you

Tube on
    edited January 2009

Depends on the time of day. People are busy. And in the middle of the day, there's usually no one on. It costs an extra 10 percent to do the method I mentioned, but it also takes all of a couple minutes, and there's no standing around with your thumb up your ass waiting for someone to finish a mission or just log on so you can ask them in the first place.

I mean, the whole reason I started doing this was because it wasn't easy to get a PAer to transfer all the time.

s3rial one on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Spending some time with my long abandoned merc Mastermind has made me fall in love with it all over again. And come level 20 I'll be redoing enhancement slots so yay for that.

Henroid on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    poshniallo wrote: »

Does anyone else do that?

Sure to. To an extent. Right now my favorite character I'm leveling is a LM/Shields brute named Zhar Prime. Hes bassically the USSR version of Capt. America. "With Lenin in his heart, and Tesla in his veins, nothing can stop him!"

Paradox Control on
    \
    edited January 2009
    IRT powerlevelling, I really have no problem with it. I don't think its the best idea if you've never played the game before, but really, the game isn't rocket surgery.

I know I often start alts that sit at low levels for every because I get bored with that end of the game. Patrol XP and Double XP weekends help a lot (there's one of these sometime this month I believe), and if I can get sk'ed into a higher level PA team, that usually gets me up to 22 or so. Just getting to SO level is what I need to not feel like I'm walking upstream in molasses.

Also, guys, one of the Day Job benefits is +15% XP if you log out in either an Arachnos Base or PDP Station. I'd make sure to park characters you aren't using in those locations to build up time on that. I'm not sure, but I assume it stacks with Patrol XP.

Corvus on
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh hey that's right! double xp/inf weeked beings the 23rd of this month! And it stacks with patrol xp! you could be getting CRAAAAZY xpees. That's nice. So nice.

Oh and winter event ends the 4th. So buy those halos!

Narbus on
  • Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    Ok, friend of mine is having problems running CoX. He has a very fast machine, Vista and Nvidia video card. He went to Nvidia to get the most up to date drivers but no luck. He has a problem where the screen freezes and turns black and Windows says the application is Not Responding. I've never had issues (XP with similar hardware) so I couldn't really help him. I thought I remember reading here that some of you had Vista and/or Nvidia issues and hoped someone could suggest a couple things he could try. I can ask for the specific video card model if it would help.

Way I got it to stop crashing on my computer ( Vista 64, Nvidia 280 ) was to download this hotfix. Depending on his graphics card he may need to downgrade his drivers, but if he's on the 2xx series the latest should be the most stable according to my own testing.

Also: Goddamnit Sharkhead just went tits and I don't feel like playing blueside.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
    edited January 2009
    Oh hey that's right! double xp/inf weeked beings the 23rd of this month! And it stacks with patrol xp! you could be getting CRAAAAZY xpees. That's nice. So nice.

Oh and winter event ends the 4th. So buy those halos!

Hate to be a downer, but Double XP actually doesn't stack with Patrol XP. Patrol XP just won't get used up during Double XP weekend.

Corvus on
  • BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Though presumably the day-job XP bonus will still be in effect.

230% XP? Don't mind if I do.

Bitstream on
    edited January 2009
    s3rial one wrote: »

Depends on the time of day. People are busy. And in the middle of the day, there's usually no one on. It costs an extra 10 percent to do the method I mentioned, but it also takes all of a couple minutes, and there's no standing around with your thumb up your ass waiting for someone to finish a mission or just log on so you can ask them in the first place.

I mean, the whole reason I started doing this was because it wasn't easy to get a PAer to transfer all the time.
    Yes, using the auction house works, but there is a risk that someone will notice the bizarre enhancement that you've tossed up, and put up the same one at a lower price, causing your bid to go to it instead. It's a slim chance, but it's there. Higher now since high level TO's don't drop anymore.

On the plus side though, the Auction House/Black Market is the only way to transfer Inf to different servers which made a huge difference for me when we where running the whole team-night thing.

see317 on
    edited January 2009
    see317 wrote: »
    s3rial one wrote: »

Yes, using the auction house works, but there is a risk that someone will notice the bizarre enhancement that you've tossed up, and put up the same one at a lower price, causing your bid to go to it instead. It's a slim chance, but it's there. Higher now since high level TO's don't drop anymore.

On the plus side though, the Auction House/Black Market is the only way to transfer Inf to different servers which made a huge difference for me when we where running the whole team-night thing.

Except, you know, that you can see how many items are listed for sale. And if you did what I said, and listed the only one, and made sure the price history was the same before buying, that can't happen.

s3rial one on
  • GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Since Gouka was completely unable to do one simple thing we all asked him to do I'll just make a brief mention of it.

Tomorrow night. That is Friday night at around oh I don't know, 5-8 pm PST there will be some CoX karaoke going on in Vent. Not sure when it's going to be but it will happen. We already had some Thursday night and we're all set for Friday night.

Be there jerks.

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2009
    Ghostalker wrote: »
    Since Gouka was completely unable to do one simple thing we all asked him to do I'll just make a brief mention of it.

Tomorrow night. That is Friday night at around oh I don't know, 5-8 pm PST there will be some CoX karaoke going on in Vent. Not sure when it's going to be but it will happen. We already had some Thursday night and we're all set for Friday night.

Be there jerks.

Shut up asshole, not my fault we started playing TF2 almost right after we got finish playing CoX. I'm also requesting songs for Ghost to sing, feel free to nominate some.

Lepwave on
    steam_sig.png
  • GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lepwave wrote: »
    Ghostalker wrote: »

Be there jerks.

Shut up asshole, not my fault we started playing TF2 almost right after we got finish playing CoX. I'm also requesting songs for Ghost to sing, feel free to nominate some.

Change the thread title ass!

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How are shields? I haven't really seen anyone talking about the new power set. As a big Captain America fan, shields hold a lot of interest with me.

I'd be interested to hear about both the defensive and offensive capabilities of the set. Is it good for tanking? Is it good for holding aggro? Are the moves cool? (The animations).

Lucascraft on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't know how good Shields perform, I like some of the concepts like group buffs on a melee defense set, but I was extremely disappointed with how they animate. As in...they don't. It doesn't look like you are actually blocking attacks, you are just some guy getting shot in the face with a shield hanging off to the side. Since I've been playing tanks in War since launch, where you have a block animation, it really killed it for me. :( Plus you can't throw them, though that isn't a big surprise.

P.S. What is this karaoke and how terrified should I be?
    P.S.S. Sonna and I have a few free trials for WAR if anyone of you lot want one. Just PM me.

Accualt on
    edited January 2009
    I gave a try at a shield/fire tank the other night. It's not bad so far, but he hasn't been holding aggro especially well. Then again he's still only level eight and our team was massive so I couldn't expect him to hold all of it.

Quid on
  • SwaggerSwagger Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Shield aggro control is godawful. The taunt on AAO lasts same as RttC, about 1 second and change. Things won't stick on you unless you hit them. Fortunately, Shield Charge is awesome for hitting people.

Swagger on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'll take one of those WAR trials Acc, since I wanna see how it plays go a guy like me.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Swagger wrote: »
    Shield aggro control is godawful. The taunt on AAO lasts same as RttC, about 1 second and change. Things won't stick on you unless you hit them. Fortunately, Shield Charge is awesome for hitting people.
    Which is why I'm thinking I might try again but with a brute.

Quid on
    edited January 2009
    Accualt wrote: »
    P.S. What is this karaoke and how terrified should I be?

Something Amoyra requested Ghost to do, after Ghost's er... performance? We decided to do another one tonight, with more people invited to join us. Last night we had about 8 or 9 people on, so it was pretty fun.

Lepwave on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.