As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying a PSP

persona non gratapersona non grata Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Wasn't sure if this belonged in here or G&T... I'm thinking about buying a PSP (can't resist it's call any longer) but I've heard some bad things about the screen on the new 3000 models. Can anyone comment on whether I'd be better off buying a 2000? Is there any marked improvement between the two versions?

Thanks in advance for the help.

persona non grata on

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The so-called "scan line controversy" is nothing more than gaming journalists trying to invent news on a slow news day. Folks who own both models have stated that the 3000 has more vivid colors and brighter screen which is easier to see in sunlight. The only reason to not get the 3000 other than price is if you want to run custom firmware (right now, it's not been hacked yet), but this point will probably be moot in a couple of months.

The only differences between the 3000 and the latest 2000 models is the screen and the built-in mic. That's it.

If you can get a 3000 for about 20 bucks more than a 2000 or you can get a sweet package deal for your 3000, then I'd pick that one up. If you are into custom firmware or homebrew, then I'd pick up a used 2000.

Recent thread about this topic can be found here:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=78677

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    CFluxCFlux Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The homebrew option is the only reason I'd say its worth getting a 2000. As far as I could find the 3000 can't be modified yet. And there is some awesome homebrew stuff running around.

Just something to think about.

CFlux on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Does the mic have any significant use other than Skype usage?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You can use it in some of the games. I'm not sure what for, probably talking to people in multilayer.

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg