As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oral Fixation

TrusTrus Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
No, not that kind.

I find I am constantly chewing gum or sucking on something (a pen, toothbrush, etc) if I don't have something in my mouth I feel uncomfortable. Normally it doesn't cause too much of a problem but every so often it can manifest itself in weird (and often embarrassing ways) is there anything I can do to help curb this, or better yet make it go away all together?

qFN53.png
Trus on

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is a little basic, and probably attempted already, but...

You could try what a lot of people try for various habits that are similar (biting nails comes to mind) and apply something that you hate the taste of (preferably something that'll stay on) to a pencap while you're at home and keep it with you. The theory is that when you go to bite/chew it, and the taste catches you, you'll subconsciously start to associate the act with the bad taste and stray away from it. I don't know it it'll really work, but it's probably worth a shot.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I used to bite my nails and tried the bitter tasting stuff on my nails, I found that I got used to the taste though and that it made everything I touched taste like it too. It will probably take sheer will-power to stop doing this. Get a friend to remind you when you're chewing gum/pen caps if its something you're not really aware you're doing.

Liiya on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Having someone remind you works well. My girlfriend constantly nagged me about chewing on straws. Not that nagging me works, but it was something I wanted to change.
    You can also put a rubber band on your wrist and snap it every time you chew on something you don't want to.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I sometimes develop nervous ticks, like shaking my head. I usually get rid of them by forcing myself to imagine chewing on tin foil whenever I catch myself doing it.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hire a goon to punch you in the face every time you go to chew on something.

The thing with the self fixer methods is it's going to require the same willpower to penalize your self as it would to just all together stop IMO.

rfalias on