As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Happy new [CHAT]!

EchoEcho ski-bapba-dapModerator mod
edited January 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
newyear.jpg

Echo on

• MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Looks about right.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    lol new topic. How fun is Wintergrasp to you?

Laonar on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    Laonar wrote: »
    lol new topic. How fun is Wintergrasp to you?

I've never actually done it yet.

If Blizzard feels the need to copy WAR, could they at least not put it on 2+ hour reset timers?

Echo on
    edited December 2008
    I agree, I went in first time last night. Unlocked so many acheivments. Was a lot of fun. It was like watching warcraft III in 3d. I did not get to drive a vehicle though/cry. However 30 minutes for 2k honor and 667 hks. Fun night.

Laonar on
  • ObjectZeroObjectZero Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    HAR HAR. I got the Drake from Heroic CoT last night. This is funny because...

A) it's the first time i had even seen that boss
    B) i don't have epic riding skill (300)
    C) I will never have that much money
    D) all of the above.
    D

ObjectZero on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Isn't Wintergrasp on the 2-hour timer to give people time to do the raid boss?
    Speaking of which, what happens if you're in there when Wintergrasp switches hands?

Lars on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fuck Death & Decay. I don't know what the hell is going on there, but any time I'm grouped with a DK and he starts using it, my FPS goes to pot, and apparently I'm not the only one. Any other spell/AoE/aura effect (with the exception of perhaps frost traps) won't cause any slowdown at all.

SithDrummer on
    edited December 2008
    I believe you can stay in? I was ther for some time after the horde beat us. They beat us because of server lag, they had 2 seconds to go... dumb. Anyways, I was shooting hordies left and right while they were fighting something. I didnt know it was a raid boss or I woulda stopped picking off the locks, priests, trees, and mages in the back!

Laonar on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fuck Death & Decay. I don't know what the hell is going on there, but any time I'm grouped with a DK and he starts using it, my FPS goes to pot, and apparently I'm not the only one. Any other spell/AoE/aura effect (with the exception of perhaps frost traps) won't cause any slowdown at all.

If your spell effects slider is at highest, drop it down by one. That does the trick for me.

reVerse on
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I usually keep mine about half so I can see my Consecrate.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • TheTishTheTish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lars wrote: »
    Speaking of which, what happens if you're in there when Wintergrasp switches hands?

If you are in the raid instance when Wintergrasp area resets, you will be kicked out of the instance. That's what happened to our raid once. Northrend crashed while we were fighting Archavon, then just a few seconds after killing him, the Northrend server came back up which reset the status of Wintergrasp, and we were instantly kicked out of the instance. Took us a couple weeks for the GMs to get the loot and emblems sent to people who were in the raid.

TheTish on
    sig-1117080.jpg
    -- Gnome mage enchantress and inscriptionologist... er scribbler --
    sig-1497520.jpg
    sig-1497534.jpg
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

The same thing happens to me (I'm a DK at that) and its annoying cause I have to constantly switch my spell effects up and down so that I dont frame lag, but put it back up so I can see poison clouds on grobbulus better.

Zerokku on
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I should probably level my hunter or dk so I can try out this Wintergrasp stuff, but I'm having a lot of fun leveling a paladin on Draenor. Guess I'll just wait for now.

And I agree New Year's is getting in the way of my WoWing. Stupid being social with my friends. :P

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lars wrote: »

That, and to not kill battlegrounds. ;-)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Supposedly you can be effective in Wintergrasp even in the low 70's.. just hop on a vehicle and cause some damage.

I wouldn't know though, because I haven't tried it yet myself. I have this big hangup about not entering pvp until I'm max level, so I can get at least some estimation of a fair fight.

xzzy on
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I was right! I found proofs that the time-lost proto drake despawns

Th30n3-blinkproof.JPG

Dadouw on
    edited December 2008
    Personally I wouldn't trust anything a WoW GM says any more than I would trust what a pathological liar with a very poor grasp on reality says.

reVerse on
  • TheTishTheTish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As a side note... I'm really starting to like the Wintergrasp battles. I think it may be that it is just something to do with it only being fought by players on the local server. The implementation of the cross-server BG queues did a lot to improve queue times, but in the process, i think the BGs lost something. I cant really pinpoint what that 'something' was... maybe just some sort of familiarity with the people you are fighting with and against. But with Wintergrasp, that 'something' is back.

TheTish on
    sig-1117080.jpg
    -- Gnome mage enchantress and inscriptionologist... er scribbler --
    sig-1497520.jpg
    sig-1497534.jpg
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So is Wintergrasp instanced? I haven't tried going there, and I have been under the impression that it's just another zone in Northrend.

I've been levelling up my mage in Clawshrimp & Co on Draenor and having fun. I hit level 46 last night. I'm kind of annoyed with the quets in STV where you're supposed to use Catelyn's dagger on an underwater altar because it's bugged. The quest reward would be great for my mage.

SteevL on
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Its not instanced... Just a no fly zone.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
    edited December 2008
    Rare spawns in WoW?

Of all the ideas they could steal from MMO's, why'd they have to steal that one? No one liked it in Everquest, why bother bringing the idea back?

xzzy on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nope it's another zone within Northrend. Also a big 'STAY THE FUCK AWAY' if you're just flying around trying to get somewhere, since if you fly in you'll get dismounted... with a dinky little several second parachute. Seriously why couldn't blizzard have made the damn thing last until you land? I've gotten killed so many times because I'd fly over a no-fly zone, be dismounted.... and lag, and of course the parachute ticks down even though I'm stuck in the air.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Rare spawns in WoW aren't actually a new thing. I last saw Vultros spawn in Westfall 4 years ago.

SteevL on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    xzzy wrote: »
    Rare spawns in WoW?

Of all the ideas they could steal from MMO's, why'd they have to steal that one? No one liked it in Everquest, why bother bringing the idea back?

Even better, the Time-lost is a rare spawn off of the timer for another rare-elite, and when it spawns there are 4 possible locations where it can do so. But wait, there's more! Each of those 4 locations has their own patrol path.

Somebody at Blizzard is a sadistic SoB

Nobody on
  • RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Rare spawns in WoW?

I call for three things, and Journeyman's boots are yours...

Ryokaze on
    edited December 2008
    There's nothing wrong with rare spawns aslong as they're not required for a quest, which in WoW they're not.

Though they should beef up the rewards you get from the old continent rares. Maybe back in the day the loot they had was concidered good but this day and age a green plate chest Of The Whale just doesn't cut it.

reVerse on
    edited December 2008
    SteevL wrote: »
    Rare spawns in WoW aren't actually a new thing. I last saw Vultros spawn in Westfall 4 years ago.

Yes but now they're putting in rares that drop stuff that's in high demand? Bad move.

xzzy on
    edited December 2008
    reVerse wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with rare spawns aslong as they're not required for a quest, which in WoW they're not.

Though they should beef up the rewards you get from the old continent rares. Maybe back in the day the loot they had was concidered good but this day and age a green plate chest Of The Whale just doesn't cut it.
    I agree with all of this. Especially the part about the improved loot.

SithDrummer on
    edited December 2008

Yes but now they're putting in rares that drop stuff that's in high demand? Bad move.

The rares in Northrend drop some Frostweave, a (usually) crappy blue that no one will ever buy from you, and some gold. None of this stuff is "in high demand". The mount from the Proto-Drake might be highly desirable, but it is not "in high demand" on the account of being BoP and as such unsellable.

reVerse on
    edited December 2008
    Ryokaze wrote: »
    Rare spawns in WoW?

I call for three things, and Journeyman's boots are yours...

jboots.gif

xzzy on
    edited December 2008
    Well, high demand in the sense that lots of people would like to be camping it. However, by accident or intent, the fact that it has four spawn locations with different patrol routes, an extremely long spawn timer, and despawns after a bit, Blizzard seems to have prevented camping by the sheer daunting difficulty of finding it.

SithDrummer on
  • Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

So you're saying, Rare spawns shouldn't drop loot that people want? wut? And it's not like it's a weapon or anything, just a mount that no one will ever see unless they see you passing by in a zone somewhere. Flying mounts are silly now.

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Minerva_SC wrote: »

So you're saying, Rare spawns shouldn't drop loot that people want? wut? And it's not like it's a weapon or anything, just a mount that no one will ever see unless they see you passing by in a zone somewhere. Flying mounts are silly now.

and with the phasing in so many zones you have to pass EXTREMELY close to see people even if they are on the same phase as you.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    edited December 2008

No, I think rare spawns are dumb. It's cool if people like hunting for them, but I'd rather be off doing something other than clearing spawns and hoping the random number generator is kind this time.

xzzy on
    edited December 2008

No, I think rare spawns are dumb. It's cool if people like hunting for them, but I'd rather be off doing something other than clearing spawns and hoping the random number generator is kind this time.
    Except in this case at least, the mount drop is 100%. Or are you talking about it just being there?

SithDrummer on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Krasus's Landing seems extremely popular on Arygos for people who want to show off their flying mounts.

It's the new Aldor/Scryer bank.

Nobody on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nobody wrote: »
    Rare spawns in WoW?

Even better, the Time-lost is a rare spawn off of the timer for another rare-elite, and when it spawns there are 4 possible locations where it can do so. But wait, there's more! Each of those 4 locations has their own patrol path.

Somebody at Blizzard is a sadistic SoB

I actually approve of that formula. It beats the everliving fuck out of EQ's mode, of having people camp the timer, so you never had a shitholes chance in hell of ever seeing a rare mob once a guild got the timer down.

In 5ish years of EQ. I saw Lodizal twice, and the rare dragons like 3 times each. Having it be at a set point/time is horrible.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like rare spawns, they make the world feel a little bit more alive. As opposed to killing <Kobold #356> or Malygos for the 20th time tonight on the server, it has some lasting effect. This is something WoW doesn't really do often, most things you do in the game only significantly affect your own character.

I think Blizzard did a good job with some of them by making them so difficult to camp, using multiple spawns, random spawn times, and eventual de-spawning.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I remember idling on my flying mount above the fleshwerks looking at 2 horde doing quests there when all of a sudden I see a huge DK Vrykul just waltz out in the the place. I ran my ass down there and popped ice bound fortitude then killed it looted it and ran away before they could notice. The blue is nothing special but I did get 21G.
    I've only ever saw 1 rare spawn in outlands and only a few in old world.

JJ on
  • MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I got burned out on camping rare spawns a couple years ago when my FFXI LS would camp Fafnir.

Three hour spawn window, one chance to spawn every 30 minutes in that window, and you have to hope someone in your alliance got the claim over the 3 other groups that were there, who may or may not be using bots to pull or have your latency beat by a fair margin.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
This discussion has been closed.