As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moment of the Year 2008

• Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Fuck you all.

Teeg's issue of Criminal. The last line was so fucking brutal it was gold.

oh that line was a killer.

some of those lines brubaker comes up to end issues are just so perfect it's retarded. my favorite is in the lawless arc in the issue where
    tracy tortures the old man into telling him who killed rick.

the old man says that he's not gonna talk and tracy replies that yes...he will

"Eventually he got all the answers he wanted, and a few he didn't. But it seemed to Tracy that was just the nature of answers."

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Definitely Valley Forge, Valley Forge (the whole arc, but yeah especially the end) and Thor beating the shit out of Tony Stark (and telling Stark what I think most of us have wanted to tell him for the past what, two fucking years?)

And blue beetle. Not surprising, I guess all my MotYs are pretty much "me too"s.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fuck you all.

Teeg's issue of Criminal. The last line was so fucking brutal it was gold.
    I'd say Bad Night was definitely one of my favorite runs of the year.

Just reread it this morning

also Single Issue of the Year goes to Phonogram: Pull Shapes hands down.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the moment of the year would actually have to be Jonathan Hickman releasing a ton of awesome shit.

I just read the first issue of The Nightly News.

Glorious.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I forgot about the Astonishing line with Armor and Logan
    "Can I help?"
    "Are you a beer?"

smokmnky on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My moment was when I realized Spider-Man had became one of my favorite characters again and not only was I enjoying Amazing again but on a thrice weekly basis.

My moment is basically every issue that Gale didn't write.

But seriously, we REALLY need more Joe Kelley in 2009.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    the end of that first blue beetle arc

Astonishing

pretty much all of Nova

if Final Crisis made sense, it would probably be on my list

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was honestly really underwhelmed by Giant-Sized Astonishing, and I'm a bit surprised by the amount of mentions it's getting. It was just so incredibly contrived it was ridiculous.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How was it contrived?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    Are you suggesting that Joss Whedon wrote it ON PURPOSE. :shock:

DUN DUN DUNNN!

DMAC on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meh, it is sort of a douche move to effectively remove a character like that from other creator's (Bru, Fraction) just because you have a BUFFY reputation to uphold.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meh, it is sort of a douche move to effectively remove a character like that from other creator's (Bru, Fraction) just because you have a BUFFY reputation to uphold.

um... he's the one that brought her back. His ability to use her as he liked was a condition for writing the damn thing, and she went out like a champ. He's the only writer that understands that the ability to kill a loved character, not for shock value but as an essential part of telling a story, overrides fanboism.... and Whedon is the biggest Kitty fanboy their is, considering he fucking based Buffy off of her.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Giant space bullet sounds so stupid when you are just saying it.

But then you read that issue and you can't help but :(

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

um... he's the one that brought her back. His ability to use her as he liked was a condition for writing the damn thing, and she went out like a champ. He's the only writer that understands that the ability to kill a loved character, not for shock value but as an essential part of telling a story, overrides fanboism.... and Whedon is the biggest Kitty fanboy their is, considering he fucking based Buffy off of her.

You're saying the whole story wasn't based on the shock value of doing what was done to that character? Hh, if you say so.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I mean, I guess in the sense that you, do to some medical quirk or genetic deficiency, are shocked by everything that happens to anyone ever, then I suppose it would be shocking.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You're saying the whole story wasn't based on the shock value of doing what was done to that character? Hh, if you say so.

By your standards, what stories have handled the deaths of pre-existing characters well?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

You're suffering a serious cognitive dysfunction as to what exact 'shock value' is. To educate you, consider the events of the giant-sized Astonishing, and then look at that scan of the Blob and the Wasp from the latest Ultimatum.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

She isn't dead. No one in comic has said she is dead. She's stuck somewhere and can't get back.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FCD wrote: »

She isn't dead. No one in comic has said she is dead. She's stuck somewhere and can't get back.

In space. Phasing. She can't breathe when she's phasing and even if she could, space.

I'm not saying they won't bring her back at some point, but really, she ought to be dead.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    David_T wrote: »

In space. Phasing. She can't breathe when she's phasing and even if she could, space.

I'm not saying they won't bring her back at some point, but really, she ought to be dead.

But she was perfectly fine during the trip to Earth. I see no reason why air should become a problem later.

Then again, there is still death by starvation. Or boredom.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    David_T wrote: »

She's got a textbook case of comic-book dead, so there's always a chance of coming back later.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    smokmnky wrote: »
    "Can I help?"
    "Are you a beer?"

Why is it Wolverine has such great chemistry with teenage girls?

Scooter on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    smokmnky wrote: »
    "Can I help?"
    "Are you a beer?"

Why is it Wolverine has such great chemistry with teenage girls?

This question really needs the winky emoticon.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

She's about as non-dead dead as a comic book super hero can get. She's off the board, but if/when (leaning heavy towards when) another writer wants to bring her back, they can without it being a total mess.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ah, but will they be able to? It seems that both editorial and the fan base will reject anything that 'steps on the story Joss told'.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    I think the moment of the year would actually have to be Jonathan Hickman releasing a ton of awesome shit.

I just read the first issue of The Nightly News.

Glorious.

I finally got around to reading The Core, his one-shot for Top Cow's 2008 Pilot Season.

So good.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ah, but will they be able to? It seems that both editorial and the fan base will reject anything that 'steps on the story Joss told'.

Eventually, Joss Whedon (or Joss-level popular writer) will be able to convince Marvel to resolve this particular cliffhanger. Heck, it can't be nearly as bad as Joss's own resurrection of Colossus, the original "dead means dead" poster boy. Sure, there will be some gnashing of teeth and fanboys will howl in protest, but it will happen, and when its over, everyone will forget about it and and move on to the next story.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

No, you're right. Kitty is dead forever. Forever and ever and ever.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Eventually, Joss Whedon (or Joss-level popular writer) will be able to convince Marvel to resolve this particular cliffhanger. Heck, it can't be nearly as bad as Joss's own resurrection of Colossus, the original "dead means dead" poster boy. Sure, there will be some gnashing of teeth and fanboys will howl in protest, but it will happen, and when its over, everyone will forget about it and and move on to the next story.

Exactly. If Colossus can come back from Mutant AIDS, then Kitty can come back from trapped in a giant bullet in outer space.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well technically the poster boy for "dead means dead" was Bucky. Who also had some awesome moments this year. Can someone get a scan of his disembodied arm crawling around and beating Red Skull flunkies up?

I also forgot to mention the ending of the 'Without Fear' arc in Daredevil, which was absolutely perfect. I'll have to dig up scans later.

I did find this though, which is from January last year.

2184204365_515c3a36c6_b.jpg

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, Chris G. and Mini Marvels are the shit. :^:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Man, Chris G. and Mini Marvels are the shit. :^:

Totally. In fact, every mini-marvels is my MoTY. Can someone posts the scans for the Planet Hulk ones?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just have the one page, but here it is;

th_WWH_1.jpg

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2009

If it's executed as well as Colossus coming back, the bitching will be at a minimum. Partially because it's pretty clear that we aren't supposed to think she's dead for good.

She'll be back in a few years. I can almost guarantee it.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

If it's executed as well as Colossus coming back, the bitching will be at a minimum. Partially because it's pretty clear that we aren't supposed to think she's dead for good.

Wasn't Colossus's comeback something like "oh I was actually trapped in a secret facility the whole time haha" or something? I completely forget because he's one of the X-Men I figured they'd never actually let stay dead so his re-appearance sort of washed over me.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well technically the poster boy for "dead means dead" was Bucky.

And Barry Allen don't forget. Who is left that is really dead?

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2009

Wasn't Colossus's comeback something like "oh I was actually trapped in a secret facility the whole time haha" or something? I completely forget because he's one of the X-Men I figured they'd never actually let stay dead so his re-appearance sort of washed over me.

Well it fit into the plot just fine, and his death was kind of weird anyways. The moment where Kitty finds him is one of my favorite comic moments ever, though.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »

Batman's parents?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i don't have the trade with me but didn't colossus die, have his body switched out and get revived?

Angry on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    kdrudy wrote: »

Batman's parents?

Uncle Ben?

Antimatter on