As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Uhm, what the fuck. New York Tax problem.

DrezDrez Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just get a letter from New York State that I was audited and owe them like 2300 bucks which includes about 800 dollars worth of interest/penalty fees from my 2006 return.

They say they never received a 2006 tax return from me.

I'm staring at an email from CompleteTax which was an e-file service which states that my return was "accepted by New York" (and yes I have a separate email for my federal tax return being accepted so I'm not confusing the two).

It doesn't look like I can log into CompleteTax at present, however, and I very much doubt I have any printouts anymore, which is my own fault admittedly. What the hell do I do? I don't even know where to start looking for proof. This is asinine.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Drez on

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Contact CompleteTax by phone or email and ask them if/what did the fuck up. Contact NY State tax people and tell them you have an email from CompleteTax saying it was successfully submitted.

At least, to start off with I guess.

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you got a tax return or paid that year look for the bank records showing that. Call the tax board and ask them to look it up to see if it was a fluke. Call the e-file company you used and ask for a paper copy of your return.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Do you have bank records from 2006? Like, can you login to your account and check to see if you paid it?

Call the NY Franchise Tax Board and have them double-check to make sure it's you. It could easily be a name thing, or a wrong social security number thing.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Do you have bank records from 2006? Like, can you login to your account and check to see if you paid it?

Call the NY Franchise Tax Board and have them double-check to make sure it's you. It could easily be a name thing, or a wrong social security number thing.

No...I don't have that ability. I received a physical check from them. Sigh.

The AGI certainly looks correct. Can't get through to the audit department and CompleteTax doesn't have a contact number. They might not even be staffed right now.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Drez wrote: »

The AGI certainly looks correct. Can't get through to the audit department and CompleteTax doesn't have a contact number. They might not even be staffed right now.
    You received a check from the state of NY?

Call the bank. Ask them to pull up your records from whenever you deposited the check.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

You received a check from the state of NY?

Call the bank. Ask them to pull up your records from whenever you deposited the check.

I don't have a bank account. I didn't then, either. I cashed it at a check cashing place. So none of this is an option.

Drez on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Also, I'm not even sure how much finding the return is going to help, really.

That is, let's say they find the records of the return where they sent you a check. If you actually owed $1500 on your taxes, you would now owe $1500+however much the check was for, right? I mean, if they are saying you owed money and they sent you a check, either:
    1. Aside from being wrong about you filing, they are also wrong about your income and taxes paid, and you don't owe money.
    2. You were wrong when you filed and you are still screwed.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Doc wrote: »

That is, let's say they find the records of the return where they sent you a check. If you actually owed $1500 on your taxes, you would now owe $1500+however much the check was for, right? I mean, if they are saying you owed money and they sent you a check, either:
    1. Aside from being wrong about you filing, they are also wrong about your income and taxes paid, and you don't owe money.

No, no...they are claiming that don't have a return on record for me. They are just noting my AGI from my federal return and saying "hey, guy, you never filed in New York." Which is false. They are saying that my income taxes, based on my AGI for 2006, amounts to $1500 (which I more than paid throughout the year).

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

If they sent him a check, then he filed.

They don't send you a check when you don't file.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Also, I'm looking at the letter again, and they have a breakdown of my AGI, standard deduction, deductions they assess I am eligible for, and whatnot. At the bottom it says "Total Tax Withheld...0.00" which means they don't have any of my payments on file for the year. So, yeah, according to this they just don't have any of my shit on file.

This is so bizarre and so not-fun to receive on New Year's Eve.

Drez on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Would getting a copy of your w2 from your 2006 employer be of assistance in proving that you paid into the system?

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yes, I assume that would help somewhat, however, my debt to them is a laughable $2307 which is partially interest and mostly penalty due to "negligence" for not filing. So let's say I prove I paid the $1500+ during 2006. I assume I still have to prove I filed or I'll owe 800 bucks.

Though that gets a little more confusing. If you don't owe, are you obligated to file a return? I can't remember that rule. Either way, I did file.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yes, I assume that would help somewhat, however, my debt to them is a laughable $2307 which is partially interest and mostly penalty due to "negligence" for not filing. So let's say I prove I paid the $1500+ during 2006. I assume I still have to prove I filed or I'll owe 800 bucks.

Though that gets a little more confusing. If you don't owe, are you obligated to file a return? I can't remember that rule. Either way, I did file.
    They can't assess penalties for taxes you didn't pay if you paid them.

Your 2006 W2 would be very helpful, if you could get it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

They can't assess penalties for taxes you didn't pay if you paid them.

Your 2006 W2 would be very helpful, if you could get it.

My old employer should be able to get that for me, right? I mean their payroll department should have it? I might even have it somewhere too.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

If they sent him a check, then he filed.

They don't send you a check when you don't file.

Where did I say he didn't file? I suggested that he didn't file correctly, and actually owed them money instead of getting money back. But they are apparently didn't know about his payments throughout the year, which is odd. They probably didn't sync his income from his federal returns with his payments throughout the year because they lost his file.

Yes, your 2006 W2 is what you need to figure all this stuff out, and your employer should have it.

Doc on
  • Options
    MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I wouldn't be too concerned. Between the CompleteTax letter and your W2, this will be squared away soon enough. Just make sure you act without delay. Start the phone calls on Friday. Contact all three groups and don't wait for one's response before contacting another; sure you may have to make multiple calls, but at least you won't be delaying. I imagine CompleteTax has some sort of guaranty about their services which will cover any additional costs that might actually pop up from this (ask about this when you call them).

While it is an important issue, it is not one to cause undue worry and concern; you will simply get the information and politely supply it to the NY tax agency.

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hey, maybe they will cut you another check!

Doc on