As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Crafting] Blacksmiths and Tailors and Bears (Oh My!)

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
Welcome to the MMO Crafting thread. A place to discuss the positives and negatives of crafting across the landscape of the many online games.

Some see crafting as a side hobby or mini-game in MMOs. Other people see it as a way to turn a profit. Others still see it as an artistic expression of your character and outlet to master a trade of olde.

Whether its Blacksmithing
Anvil_fig2-600x350.jpg

Or Tailoring
counter%20balanced%20loom.jpg

Or Gunsmithing
rifles640.gif

Or Food Crafting
m1980159_New_cooking3.jpg

Or Furniture Making
lathe_01_640.jpg

Many trades and lost crafts (and futuristic ones too) are represented in MMOs. Share your thoughts, wishes, stories, and anything else having to do with crafting within MMOs.

Lucascraft on

• LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hate crafting in all MMO's. I do not care what rewards they give, it sucks. Although I must say Star Wars Galaxies had one of the most in depth system I ve seen in any game.

Actually crafting still sucks, but back in my UO days. All I did was chop wood with donkeys. I bought me a castle(when you could actually get them) and was a pretty famous woodcutter. I got all sorts of shinies with the money I made off wood cutting. Many memorable moments in pvp areas when someone would come across me and try to take me out. They be all like a simple wood cutter no armor... psh whipped out my shiny green armor, my shiny im gonna hurt you axe, and poof. Got a lot of loot that way too^^

Laonar on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I always thought that woodworking should be introduced into WoW. Nobody makes Staves, or bows, or wands, or arrows (to a point). There are plent of places to gather wood from around all areas- just add another gathering skill- woodcutting or somesuch.

Tach on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Tach wrote: »
    I always thought that woodworking should be introduced into WoW. Nobody makes Staves, or bows, or wands, or arrows (to a point). There are plent of places to gather wood from around all areas- just add another gathering skill- woodcutting or somesuch.

Enchanters make wands. Engineers make machines that spit out bundles of arrows.

Thomamelas on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm a historian in LOTRO, it kinda sucks that I have to buy the mats for weaponsmithing from other players, but at least it provides a lively economy.

Aldo on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I played SWG way back in its original form, before Jedis, before the CU or the NGE.

That was my favorite crafting game, ever. I love crafting in general, and there hasn't been an MMO yet that I played that I didn't put a lot of time into it.

In SWG I had a Rodian Artisan that was a Weaponsmith and an Droid Maker. I had my own little shop that I sold my wares in. It was so awesome. Its too bad the rest of the game was. . .lacking.

The thing I loved the most about the crafting in SWG is that all of the materials had a quality score, and better materials made better product. It was both fun and challenging to track down the best mats and make a really good item for someone. The really good craftsmen were known by reputation and had a constant supply of work orders through in-game mail and tells. People would register waypoints to the good shops, and they would come again and again. Being able to build up a regular clientele was so rewarding.

I really want to see another game that borrows heavily from the SWG model of crafting. Only with better gameplay for the rest of the game. The downfall of SWG is that the core experience was grinding creature missions for money. There wasn't really a lot to do. If they would have included some story missions and actual game content in with their sandbox, it would have been the best game ever.

I often think of SWG as being the game with the highest potential, and the poorest execution. If they would have done something with the incredible world they build, that game would be a serious competitor for WoW.

Lucascraft on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    I like deep, involved crafting systems. The whole "gather a shopping list of materials, press a button" style like in WoW and LotRO (ok, LotRO has a teeny bit extra complexity) is just boring.

My favorite MMO crafting has to be... what was it called again? Oh yeah, Saga of Ryzom.

You had blueprints for, say, medium boots. This blueprint had a bunch of slots - sole, inlay, whatever the rest were called.

Each slot fits a different type of material. Depending on the materials used, you'd get different stats on the final result. And the materials themselves came in different qualities too -- so the same blueprint can be used to churn out a ton of low quality boots, or you can go on an epic quest to gather up the very best materials and produce Epic Boots of Asskicking +5.

Echo on
    edited January 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    I like deep, involved crafting systems. The whole "gather a shopping list of materials, press a button" style like in WoW and LotRO (ok, LotRO has a teeny bit extra complexity) is just boring.

My favorite MMO crafting has to be... what was it called again? Oh yeah, Saga of Ryzom.

You had blueprints for, say, medium boots. This blueprint had a bunch of slots - sole, inlay, whatever the rest were called.

Each slot fits a different type of material. Depending on the materials used, you'd get different stats on the final result. And the materials themselves came in different qualities too -- so the same blueprint can be used to churn out a ton of low quality boots, or you can go on an epic quest to gather up the very best materials and produce Epic Boots of Asskicking +5.
    Too bad the rest of the game was a failure. They've gone F2P now, I believe. Although their hardcore fans assured me it was temporary as to attract "thousands of new fans".

Aldo on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I liked the crafting system in FFXI a lot, it was really cool.

Unfortunately it was ruined by low drop rates, low number of gathering nodes, and long respawns/distance between spawns of needed mobs, all of which combined to make it far too easy (and lucrative) for powerful crafters on a server to monopolize resources and strangle the crafting progression of other players.

Crafting in WoW feels shallow and boring by comparison, though it is undeniably more rewarding for the effort it takes, and is more accessible at all levels.

Regina Fong on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I rank swg up there as my favorite and most complex crafting game but I did enjoy the interaction of crafting in EQ2 and vanguard. More fun than the one button click that many of you have already pointed out.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    jeepguy wrote: »
    I liked the crafting system in FFXI a lot, it was really cool.

Unfortunately it was ruined by low drop rates, low number of gathering nodes, and long respawns/distance between spawns of needed mobs, all of which combined to make it far too easy (and lucrative) for powerful crafters on a server to monopolize resources and strangle the crafting progression of other players.

Crafting in WoW feels shallow and boring by comparison, though it is undeniably more rewarding for the effort it takes, and is more accessible at all levels.

When all your gold blows up in your face because the high end piece of gear you were having made exploded, you become a little pissy with FFXI's crafting system.

"Congratulation, you spent 3 hours camping this fucking dragon and YOU BLEW UP THE LOOT."

Oh god, I remember that famous screenshot when the Subligar Desynth thing was popular and Shining Cloth was still ridiculously expensive. Dude blew up 64 Million gil in under 2 minutes. That was a lot of money.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm a fan of WoW's crafting system. After playing EQ for years, where you spend hours and hours of farming for mats for one item, then go to craft it, and you fail, and all your mats disappear. It sucks asshole.

I like in WoW, how you have mats, you don't spend hours farming mats for one item, that's just a skill up item, and there's a good chance you can use the stuff you make.

I have enough boring tedius shit in life, don't need it in my games too.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    EWom wrote: »
    I like in WoW, how you have mats, you don't spend hours farming mats for one item

We must be playing an entirely different WoW altogether because not only does it take hours of farming to get the most basic reagents for most of the good stuff I can craft with tailoring, there's also a few 4 day cooldowns involved. So, in addition to hours of farming, I also get the distinct pleasure of waiting for those 4 day cooldowns to slowly tick away because more often that not I need multiples of those items to craft just one thing.

reVerse on
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'll have to toss my favorite crafting system vote in with SWG as well.

While I don't enjoy the actual aspect of crafting, I have an innate desire to hunt down the best ingredients and be a material supplier for those that do craft.

Making money hand over fist with my creature handler when it came to very high quality meats was quite a good time back in the day. I always wanted to get into prospecting and setting up a harvester farm too, but never had the extra points to fit it in my build.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
    edited January 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    I like in WoW, how you have mats, you don't spend hours farming mats for one item

We must be playing an entirely different WoW altogether because not only does it take hours of farming to get the most basic reagents for most of the good stuff I can craft with tailoring, there's also a few 4 day cooldowns involved. So, in addition to hours of farming, I also get the distinct pleasure of waiting for those 4 day cooldowns to slowly tick away because more often that not I need multiples of those items to craft just one thing.

Primal Mooncloth, why do you hurt me with your 4 day cooldown even after the expansion made you cheap like a slut?

Regina Fong on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    reVerse wrote: »

Primal Mooncloth, why do you hurt me with your 4 day cooldown even after the expansion made you cheap like a slut?

I meant primarily, for the long haul in the crafting you don't spend hours farming for mats for 1 item, on a worthless shitty, no-use skill up item. Yes you spend hours farming mats for the epics, and even the blues. but the green sword of fucksticking? Some ore, and that's it. Not like in EQ where you had to go kill a ton of guys to drop the metal, then the guys to drop the dye, then go find some mushrooms growing in the forest of doom where some pissed off unicorn would kill you on sight.. then go all the way back to town to make your 1 sword, and have it break instead of be made. Then you get to go back and do it all again.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have to say the only MMOs I have subscribed for have always had decent crafting, or at least semi fun crafting. Not to mention I played the hell out of ATitD for a long time.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Puzzle Pirates has an interesting crafting system. Getting the mats is something close to EQ, but the actual making is much more than one click.

quarthinos on
    edited January 2009
    I just leveled Scholar to the 3rd level in LOTRO and it's kind of silly that I got a lev40 quest reward for the scholar one and that I have to move to Rivendell for the crafting guild. I'm only lev22. :(

Aldo on
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really like the system in LoTR. Farming was a lot of fun. Imight resub just to craft andmess around when not doing things on WoW.

Laonar on
    edited January 2009
    Laonar wrote: »
    I really like the system in LoTR. Farming was a lot of fun. Imight resub just to craft andmess around when not doing things on WoW.
    Farming is pretty easy-going, I read a few chapters in my book while waiting for my toon to make a shitton of flowers.

Aldo on
  • simsim Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FFXI crafting was the best I've seen in scope (never played SWG though). I like a bit more realistic crafting, where key common items are used throughout the craft spectrum....honey, wax, threads, skins, wood. I don't care if it does involve high level farmers farming low level zones. The interface was crap though and I don't know how to feel about all of the mojo surrounding prime crafting/element days and which direction to face.

What I have seen from games since then...WoW, EQ2, LotRO, and W(wait...is there even crafting in WAR I can't remember)...has been an extremely limited tiered system that's completely boring. Yeah when you start playing the game those level 1-20 items are great, but as the game wears on the entire crafting system turns into a 'get to end game' grind worse than normal leveling. Anyone who takes time to make basic materials, farm the resources, and play the market should be able to profit from the start of the game.

*sigh* I always wanted to be a big time crafter but never had the patience for it.

sim on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    Farming in LotRO was fun. Too bad it wa pretty much something you did on an alt funded by a higher-level character since was way too expensive to keep it up when leveling. At least back when I played.

Echo on
    edited January 2009
    sim wrote: »
    FFXI crafting was the best I've seen in scope (never played SWG though). I like a bit more realistic crafting, where key common items are used throughout the craft spectrum....honey, wax, threads, skins, wood. I don't care if it does involve high level farmers farming low level zones. The interface was crap though and I don't know how to feel about all of the mojo surrounding prime crafting/element days and which direction to face.

Every time someone mentions FFXI crafting, I still must point out.

Boom, there goes your Tiamat loot.
    Oops, I broke the Vrtra drops.
    Goodbye Shining Cloth!

Losing mats like that is utter BULLSHIT. Couple it with the fact all those mobs aren't instanced and you get a situation where you can break the only useful drop the entire server gets from a mob for a week.

Italax on
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Isn't WoW one of those games where the raw materials can cost more than the finished product? I'm not much of a craftsman, but if I was, that kind of thing wouldn't fly. CoX's prices make more sense in that regard, but it's got no way of becoming a craftsman specfically - the closest it has is memorizing basic recipes after making a lot of something, which is only a minor price advantage, and moreover, by the time you've memorized it, you'll never need or want another enhancement of that type again.

Scooter on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The thing I really detested about WoW crafting was that for the first 300 levels or so of any given profession, you were making garbage. Next to nothing you would make while skilling up was of any worth at all, whether by someone else, yourself, or an alt. You're just basically wasting even more time with nothing to show for your efforts while you pushed that little blue progress bar closer and closer to your crafting cap. It pretty much goes entirely against the rest of the design philosophy behind the game. Granted, I've been told it's not so bad with Inscription and the gap left by the WLK skill cap that you have to make up, but it still doesn't excuse the sheer amount of absolute bullshit you have to crank out for nothing at all.
    Italax wrote: »
    Losing mats like that is utter BULLSHIT. Couple it with the fact all those mobs aren't instanced and you get a situation where you can break the only useful drop the entire server gets from a mob for a week.

I should note that if you haven't drastically lowered the chance to lose items on a synth via stuff in your mog house, items, synthesis support, and plain old "having your craft skill capped", you usually don't have any business trying to craft anything with those high-end mob parts in FFXI anyway. Yeah, it's a stupid antiquated mechanic, but it can still be mitigated.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    I liked making potions in WAR, but it needed to be a tad less vague about what shit did. There was a lot of room to make all sorts of potions. Instant health potion or HoT Potion? Okay, HoT potion: will it heal less quickly or more slowly? It did eat up bag space, but with some fine tuning it'd be a neat addition.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Classic SWG is my favorite crafting system to date. It had its flaws but the amount of customization was incredible (I didn't start off wanting to be a Tailor, but once I tried it I never looked back). Too bad the rest of the game was rather mediocre.

Tomanta on
    edited January 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    Isn't WoW one of those games where the raw materials can cost more than the finished product? I'm not much of a craftsman, but if I was, that kind of thing wouldn't fly. CoX's prices make more sense in that regard, but it's got no way of becoming a craftsman specfically - the closest it has is memorizing basic recipes after making a lot of something, which is only a minor price advantage, and moreover, by the time you've memorized it, you'll never need or want another enhancement of that type again.

All games where you have a crafting skill that you need to level up will result in raw materials costing more than finished.

Regina Fong on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Goodbye Shining Cloth!

Also when crafting you have a CHANCE to get a .1-.5 skill up with 100 being the max skill and the material requirements for some levels are stupidly expensive or rare like the ones you mentioned. Oh also you need sub-crafting skills in order to level them fully.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited January 2009
    korodullin wrote: »
    The thing I really detested about WoW crafting was that for the first 300 levels or so of any given profession, you were making garbage. Next to nothing you would make while skilling up was of any worth at all, whether by someone else, yourself, or an alt. You're just basically wasting even more time with nothing to show for your efforts while you pushed that little blue progress bar closer and closer to your crafting cap. It pretty much goes entirely against the rest of the design philosophy behind the game. Granted, I've been told it's not so bad with Inscription and the gap left by the WLK skill cap that you have to make up, but it still doesn't excuse the sheer amount of absolute bullshit you have to crank out for nothing at all.

I should note that if you haven't drastically lowered the chance to lose items on a synth via stuff in your mog house, items, synthesis support, and plain old "having your craft skill capped", you usually don't have any business trying to craft anything with those high-end mob parts in FFXI anyway. Yeah, it's a stupid antiquated mechanic, but it can still be mitigated.

Mog House stuff only either lowers your chance to lose materials when you break shit (The elemental mogenhancement) or raises you skill by a single point. No matter what you did. No to mention, most of the stuff was high level. Dalmatica, was something you skilled up to 100 with, meaning you could get at most a +6 skill barrier over it.

Not forgetting stuff with sub-skills either, where that was factored into your chance to break an item. You could only get one synth support type too, so you were stuck with one.
    Also when crafting you have a CHANCE to get a .1-.5 skill up with 100 being the max skill and the material requirements for some levels are stupidly expensive or rare like the ones you mentioned. Oh also you need sub-crafting skills in order to level them fully.

Levelling to 100 in any of them was painful as hell and generally wasn't worth it. I know with tailoring, 100 didn't put you into the next tier for a useful HQ chance on an item if you have the +6 skill from items and enhancement, so no one usually went out of their way.

Italax on
    edited January 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I liked making potions in WAR, but it needed to be a tad less vague about what shit did. There was a lot of room to make all sorts of potions. Instant health potion or HoT Potion? Okay, HoT potion: will it heal less quickly or more slowly? It did eat up bag space, but with some fine tuning it'd be a neat addition.

I just started cultivating and apothecary, I am having alot of fun, but damn if half my bag space is pots and mats and the other half is seeds and spores. Once I can get more bags, the option to set items to go to a certain bag will make a world of a difference.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

• quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone played A Tale in the Desert ? It has some of the best / interesting crafting systems i've ever seen.

quaigy on
    edited January 2009
    quaigy wrote: »
    Anyone played A Tale in the Desert ? It has some of the best / interesting crafting systems i've ever seen.

Alot and for a while. I played mostly Tale2 and at the beginning of Tale3, worked my ass off during the first 24 hours then just worked at a leisurely pace for the next month till I faded off into obscurity. The original new player guide for Tale3 was my doing. It is now so modified I doubt 50% of it is still my work, but I loved helping out the community. :D

This one, plus if anyone is interested in trying it, I think 90% of it still counts for Tale4.

JamesDM on

• Dark HelmetDark Helmet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just to plug someone's mention earlier about a wood-working profession in World of Warcraft. I would love to see a profession like that - Bowyer or somesuch name. There a slew of monsters in the game that drop wooden items - most are vendor loot, so it would not be too difficult to use gatherable items that already exist in game.

Arrows, Bows, Box Containers, Crossbows, Staves, Wood Shields, Wooden Components

Just a few ideas right there!

Dark Helmet on
    warrioricon4.pngrogueicon1.pngpaladinicon1.pnghuntericon2.png

And my poor Death Knight that couldn't afford an icon.
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

Goodbye Shining Cloth!

Somehow, thats the allure of final fantasy 11. I know he hits me, but really, I deserved it.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Crafting in SMTO:I is poop.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Scooter wrote: »

All games where you have a crafting skill that you need to level up will result in raw materials costing more than finished.

That's not quite true. In order for the finished product to be worth more than the raw materials, levelling the crafting profession must be undesirable and difficult to level up.

Ironically, it's completely impossible for a crafting profession to both be FUN and PROFITABLE. If it was fun, people would do it at a loss. If it was profitable, there needs to be some barrier to entry to keep people from doing it, and the only barrier to entry that exists in games is non-funness. Or random chance, I guess. You could just, say, make it so that people randomly fail to level their profession and permanently become unable to practice it / die.

Garthor on
    edited January 2009
    Third option: make it require SKILL on the player's part. Like in Puzzle Pirates, someone who is good at playing the mini-game makes more and better quality stuff than someone who sucks at it.

I'm all for more puzzle elements in MMOs anyway, and not the kind of puzzles you can look up on fucking allakhazam.

Aldo on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    EQII did something like that, right? Made crafting into like mob fights with RPS elements

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I played SWG way back in its original form, before Jedis, before the CU or the NGE.

That was my favorite crafting game, ever. I love crafting in general, and there hasn't been an MMO yet that I played that I didn't put a lot of time into it.

In SWG I had a Rodian Artisan that was a Weaponsmith and an Droid Maker. I had my own little shop that I sold my wares in. It was so awesome. Its too bad the rest of the game was. . .lacking.

The thing I loved the most about the crafting in SWG is that all of the materials had a quality score, and better materials made better product. It was both fun and challenging to track down the best mats and make a really good item for someone. The really good craftsmen were known by reputation and had a constant supply of work orders through in-game mail and tells. People would register waypoints to the good shops, and they would come again and again. Being able to build up a regular clientele was so rewarding.

I really want to see another game that borrows heavily from the SWG model of crafting. Only with better gameplay for the rest of the game. The downfall of SWG is that the core experience was grinding creature missions for money. There wasn't really a lot to do. If they would have included some story missions and actual game content in with their sandbox, it would have been the best game ever.

I often think of SWG as being the game with the highest potential, and the poorest execution. If they would have done something with the incredible world they build, that game would be a serious competitor for WoW.

This man speaks the truth. It also caused players to work together and have a true economy.

Oh, you're a rifleman? You're gonna need buffs, armor, and weapons.

The Armor and Weapons come from weaponsmiths and armorsmiths. They gotta get their metal, rather its from their own harvestors, or buying it from a guy that does nothing but harvest/survey. You're also gonna need buffs from the doc. The Doc and the armorsmith, and sometimes the weaponsmith, would also need animal supplies. So Rangers would get the joy of going out and hunting down 2bajillion avian meat on lok when it spawned really well.

So much fun.

Now crafting is retarded. And Jedi an Mandalorians are everywhere. Earthrise is looking good though.

CangoFett on