As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What would you do different?

ProhassProhass Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
Take some popular game franchises, and explain what you would do if you had input into a sequal. It can be an overall theme, an entire synopsis, gameplay elements, fixes, improvements, additions or just little ideas you think would work to enhance the franchise.

For me, Ive always wanted GTA5 to start like this:

A cutscene shows a pair of heavily armed ski-mask wearing criminals, decked in full body armour.

They ambush an armoured bank van. Blast the drivers, and begin to unload cash, cops that pull up are out-matched in terms of weaponry and are either killed or forced back. Throughout the bad guys are calm, almost ridiculously so, like its a day at the beach. They split up, one stays in the armoured van, the other blasts a civilian out of a car, gets in, and drives off. The two escape, constantly firing, completely fearless.

The cutscene ends with the robber in the armoured van having lost the police, he steps out, removes his ski mask, and thats were the game begins. You are a violent ruthless criminal, audacious and terrifying.

I think it would be a welcome change from the 'crime-saga' shoe-horn storylines of previous GTA games, and provide a character whose actions within that world I could completely understand. Exploring someone who has no regard for human life would be really fascinating, and would make killing hundreds of innocent civilians and police officers a lot more believable than in previous GTA games.

No fence sitting. You are a ruthless uncaring bastard with little regard for his own life let alone those around him. Im not saying he should be a cardboard cut out, on the contrary, there is a wealth of depth you could explore with someone like that. Not a super villan or violent robot, just a realistic, extremely violent, hardened criminal, well armed, with connections, and who will never go back to prison, no matter what. Someone who you will feel conflicted playing, someone who is not interested in being sympathetic, but who is interesting enough and displays motives and behaviours that match his body-count.

Prohass on

• Options
    sgt robsgt rob Pure Rock Fury Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think the game you're looking for here is Saints Row.

sgt rob on
    Alien imposter. Pretender. I'll keep you safe now. Close to my heart.
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So like DeNiro in Heat? :)

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    sgt rob wrote: »
    Nah none of that. Im thinking baddies more along the lines of Diehard villans than something like that. Like that long blond-haired swedish (?) henchmen. often you would be part of a group, or do one man or buddy missions. Something akin to the LA North Hollywood shootout guys, except with a bit more of a plan. And for the love of god, missions that YOUR character plans, not just working for others.

Prohass on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd take Left 4 Dead and turn the 4 into "for".

Obs on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would use adverbs in my thread titles.

But seriously, that just sounds like you play as the villain from a Hollywood action movie.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    An option for wussy Auto-Lock in Uncharted 2. I suck at shooters but the game is just so gorgeous and the story is so good. I'd feel much more badass if I didn't die so much on Easy though. :P

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Prohass wrote: »
    sgt rob wrote: »
    Nah none of that. Im thinking baddies more along the lines of Diehard villans than something like that. Like that long blond-haired swedish (?) henchmen. often you would be part of a group, or do one man or buddy missions. Something akin to the LA North Hollywood shootout guys, except with a bit more of a plan. And for the love of god, missions that YOUR character plans, not just working for others.

Hell, why can't they just make a game where you're in charge of the ovens at Auchwitz? Probably because you'd have to have a somewhat sympathetic character to make the story work.

And, what would I have done differently? I'd have given the rights to Ultima: Ascension to Black Isle or Bethesda. Preferably Black Isle.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Playing a character with no regard for human life would be about as interesting as any crappy action video game ever made. The largest hurdle for video games (when it comes to narrative) is to make an emotional connection, not ignore it.

And whoever said McCauley in Heat had no regard for human life must be blind. Cops, sure, but he was no psychopath; the whole crew adhered to a very strict discipline to get the job done, nothing more.

I love the direction they took in GTA4. The whole (GTA4 spoilers)
    You won!
    conclusion was brilliant, and went a long way toward proving games can touch (albeit just barely) the likes of the Sopranos.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hmm - the GameCube/XBOX Star Wars: The Clone Wars game - I would throw away everything except the multiplayer tank battles then put far more effort into making more maps.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Start with Super Metroid. Throw in a 3D world but keep the 2D/side scrolling perspective as in Smash Brothers Brawl's adventure mode. Make this world gigantic. Make sure sequence breaking, etc is allowed and encouraged but don't make those breaks quite as easy/obvious as in Zero Mission.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Genji GlovesGenji Gloves ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    4 Resident Evil => Resident Evil 4

As far as I know, I'm the only person on Earth who feels this way.

Dumbest. Logo. Ever.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd take the Gears franchise and take all the same characters and basic concepts, which were great, and have the plot re written by someone who doesn't drink quite as much mountain dew.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat