As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recomend On! The Girlfriend

TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
So, some of us actually have women-folk that live with us. And being electron addicts, we've introduced them to the wonderfully sicklysweet cathode ray waves of neon light and dashing explosions.

And now they want to play games WITH us.

Okay, enough allusion. She likes Katamari, loved Perfect Dark, hates Fallout, digs Oblivion, likes how pretty Eternal Sonata is but hates Polka, loves DnD but wants to strangle Drizz't'tkd'k'shamala'ding'dong.

(Mostly caus she met Salvatore at one point, and aparently he's a perfectly "Oh, I just write for money" jerk, but hey. )

Good adventure puzzle games seem to go over well, Zelda together was a blast. We'd puzzle things out, I'd handle the tedium, and she'd often figure the brainbusting puzzles as often as I did.

HELP!

Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
Teyar on

• DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Okami
    Lumines
    Metroid Prime 1, 2, 3

DarkSymphony on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I could recommend a couple of things but which platform?

freakish light on
  • TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    sorry, should have said. Silly me. We've only got a 360 now. The wii's being sold off shortly.

Teyar on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    N+
    Castle Crashers
    Braid

off the top of my head

freakish light on
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Screw Drizzt. (D&D)
    I would choose Malus (Warhammer) over Drizzt (D&D) anytime.

Hmm only 360.
    How about trying another RPG?
    Lost Odyssey.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Odyssey

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.

Platformer gameplay + Puzzler gameplay + Giant Lego Set. And you solve puzzles and tasks by building the 'ideal' vehicle for the task... and it's completely open ended. And it's pretty as fuck.

Lost Odyssey is another recommendation I can get behind. This is the FF12 Sakaguchi would've made if he'd stayed at Square Enix.

Viva Pinata. Kameo is a bit like Zelda with puzzle solving and similar combat. In fact, generally, Rare's whole 360 library is great.

Shed loads of XBLA games... I'm sure others will cover that.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
    edited January 2009
    Hrmn, so far, these are ones we've come up with already. I'm hoping more for obscurity, or good couch-play titles. Pure? Really gorgeous. Nifty play. NO COUCH. Its bizzare. And mildly depressing...

Teyar on
  • FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dis wrote: »
    Screw Drizzt. (D&D)
    I would choose Malus (Warhammer) over Drizzt (D&D) anytime.

Hmm only 360.
    How about trying another RPG?
    Lost Odyssey.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Odyssey

I can personally attest to this.

Lost Odyssey has lots of battle crap of course but it's cinematic enough and with enough literary readings via memories and such that it Enthralls Onlooking Womenfolk.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Uno on XBLA.
    My wife loves Lumines as well.

Basically anything that doesn't punish her too much for screwing up.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Board games.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rock Band if either of you are into that sort of thing

YaYa on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My fiancee really likes World of Goo, and I think it's still $15 on steam right now.

UEAKCrash on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If she likes Oblivion, unless it's solely for the setting she almost certainly will like Fallout 3.

There is a shedload of awesome games on the live arcade, all with demos, maybe just spend a few minutes grabbing demos of stuff she thinks look intersesting, definately look into the following:
    Single player:
    Braid
    RezHD
    Portal: Still Alive

2 player with coop:
    N+
    Geometry Wars
    Castle Crashers

LewieP on
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Get her cake mania for the DS, it's all their physiology can handle.

redraptor on
  • FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OH OH.

Fable 2.

Another Tried, Tested and True exammmple. I still haven't finished it, but the Ladyfriend spent a week plowing through it pretty much steadily on her free time.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
    edited January 2009
    redraptor wrote: »
    Get her cake mania for the DS, it's all their physiology can handle.

I'd go for cooking mama. It also implies that either a) you expect her to cook for you or b) that her cooking is sub-par and needs improving with a series of inane minigames. Or both!

ed: Really, guy above me? Using the words "ladyfriend" and "plowing" in the same sentence?

freakish light on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Carcassonne?

My wife and I love it. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    box-l.jpg

This game is awesome for co-op, and you said she likes puzzle adventure games. It might be a little on the hard side though.

FreddyD on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Portal, Fable 2

Prohass on
    edited January 2009
    Wow, theres not enough of a games base for "obscure" yet for the 360, is there?

Just about 90% of the things recomended... We've already done. Portal on PC, Fable 2 already, World of Goo ages ago, and yeah, she didnt like the setting of Fallout.

Teyar on
    edited January 2009
    Culdcept Saga?

freakish light on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Play at least Metroid Prime before you sell off the Wii, for the love of god

Lemming on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Do the tales of rage and spite described in the Dokapon Kingdom thread interest you, or is it the kind of game that you would fear to play with your SO?

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Earth Defense Force 2017 is pretty awesome for local co-op. It is also relatively obscure, but highly recommended on forums.

360_hoverabove.jpg

FreddyD on
    edited January 2009
    .... Culdcept was my first actual purchase for the 360. I never got further than the priestess level in the PS2 version, before it died.

Dokapon I'm told is interesting, but we wont have the Wii much longer. The thoery is, we need the money now, and when we can afford to buy a wii again, there'll be a larger base of games. The release list for the next few months is... underwhelming.

Teyar on
    edited January 2009
    The last one I can think of that wasn't as big as it should have been is The Darkness, but it's a fairly straightforward and pretty dark single player experience. If you've been actively seeking these kinds of games out you've probably got all the heavy hitters already.

The Simpsons Game is actually really fun, too, but it's over quickly. It's a good rental.

freakish light on
  • bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lemming wrote: »
    Play at least Metroid Prime before you sell off the Wii, for the love of god

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • BroktuneBroktune Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My wife enjoys those Scene It games. She also loves Viva Pinata and Lips.

Broktune on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Teyar wrote: »
    She likes Katamari, hates Fallout,

My girlfriend likes Katamari and hates Fallout as well (although she would not like Perfect Dark, she generally doesn't enjoy games where she feels like she is being hunted.... GoldenEye (N64) trauma I think)

She enjoys:
    • DoA Xtreme beach Volleyball - I kid you not
    • The Sims (duh)
    • Rome: Total War
    • Civ
    • Rock Band and associated games
    • Sonic Unleashed

She's also been clean and non-WoW'ed for nearly a year now. She's been playing older games mostly, but she just splurged and ordered Fable II, Viva Pinata and I think she's going to actually give Braid a try.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah my EX loved DoA Xtreme Volleyball to...She would never let me play though lol but I always had to watch. It was weird

Dixon on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Culdcept Saga?

Yes. YES. Yet another reason that I should not have sold my 360.

Also, Settlers of Catan on XBLA is awesome, because the game is awesome anyway and you can easily find players.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Maybe my wife is odd, but she loves Soul Calibur, so if you can get her into fighting games it's worth a look.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
    edited January 2009
    Cataan on the 360....? Theres a thought. Yeah, she went out of her way to put SC4 on top of the Gamefly lis.t I guess I need to go blow 20 on a points card. Bad.

Teyar on
  • strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Earth Defense Force 2017. Get this. The game, let's just say I've seen prettier train accidents. But damn is it oddly fun. Me and my brother ended up playing this until 4 in the morning.

Dynasty Warriors. The wife and I like to play coop on it. Combat is a little on the repetitive side, but that's ok.

Any of the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance style beat 'em ups. Me, the wife, and the kid all played endless hours of Champions: Return to Arms.

She doesn't like most shooters, but the wife seemed to like Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 because it was more tactical than run and gun, and also Army of Two because the 3rd person view was easier for her.

She plays Fable 2 and Overlord as well. And she loved watching me play Mass Effect.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fable 1/2
    Rock Band/Guitar Hero
    Kameo?
    Dead Rising (not the hostage saving but hacknslash zombie fun)

My better-half also enjoyed Bioshock (on easy) but hates every other FPS she's ever played

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • 1600Points1600Points Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gears and Gears 2, all the women in my life love Dom because of his sensitive side.

1600Points on
    Steam ID - 1600Points
    Xbox Live - Doctor Xedd
    Gametap - RIbar77
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Am I the only one that misread the thread title as 'Recommend a girlfriend'?

:winky:

(Note: the females I knowz like Startopia. All of them!)

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Maybe my wife is odd, but she loves Soul Calibur, so if you can get her into fighting games it's worth a look.

Try it with DDR pads sometime with her. My fiancee kicks my ass like that.

UEAKCrash on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ker-bump!

Okay, so my girlfriend wants something that we can play on the PC online while she's away at uni, ideally co-op but against each other is also fine. Her setup is roughly 5 years old so no, Left 4 Dead will not do. I'm thinking maybe the likes of System Shock 2 (although I'm not sure I've tried co-op online with that) and maybe something like Unreal Tournament?
    It doesn't have to be FPS or anything like that either, any other suggestions would be welcomed.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Baldur's Gate 2?

CygnusZ on