As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XBLA game recommendation thread

K7 AvengerK7 Avenger __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
I have received 1600 points from my badass SS and need some game recommendations...

I have:

GeoWars 2
Bionic Commando: Rearmed
Castle Crashers
Megaman 9
Alien Hominid
Doom

I'm really looking at Braid but my friend has it and I may beat it at his place. Other than that I am really interested in SSFIIHD. I have never played a Street Fighter and I am intrigued by how some people just fucking love it.

Also was thinking about Duke Nukem. But I want to hear what you fancy motherfuckers have to say :winky:

Irish+Assasin+J.png
K7 Avenger on

• Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    N+. Pure 2D platforming bliss. Buy it twice, there's your 1600 points.

Other awesome games:
    Rez HD - half rails shooter, half experiment in synesthaesia (blending of senses), half acid trip. An incredible experience.
    Ikaruga - great vertical shmup by Treasure. Balls-to-the-wall hard
    Age of Booty - Plays like a hex strategy game, but in real-time.
    Settlers of Catan / Carcassonne / Ticket to Ride - Faithful ports of awesome board games
    Bomberman - It's Bomberman.
    The two Penny Arcade games - great adventure/RPG hybrids, with a great sense of humor and a very engaging battle system
    Poker Smash - Like Panel de Pon / Tetris Attack / Pokemon Puzzle League, but you have to make Poker hands
    A Kingdom for Keflings - Mellow city-building sim. Like an RTS without the war.

The number one piece of advice that I give whenever a thread like this comes up is DOWNLOAD DEMOS OF EVERYTHING THAT SOUNDS INTERESTING. It's not like you have anything to lose!

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    HeadZebraMonkeyHeadZebraMonkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would recommend Duke Nukem 3d if it had some split screen multiplayer action but it doesn't.

HeadZebraMonkey on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Buy Doom first before you buy Duke Nukem. Doom is only 400 points.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Buy Doom first before you buy Duke Nukem. Doom is only 400 points.

Ah I have doom :x my bad

K7 Avenger on
    Irish+Assasin+J.png
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    SSF2THDR
    PacMan Championship edition.
    Geometry Wars 1 & 2
    Bionic Commando Rearmed
    PA:RSPD Episode 1 and 2.
    Castle Crashers

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I forgot about Pac-Man CE! Great game.

(in case you missed it, I failed at stealth-editing my post above to include a whole bunch of recs).

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Since you're already interested in it, you should really get SSFIIHD. It is my favorite fighting game ever made, hands down. SFTII is also pretty simple to learn, it's definitely not as complicated as 3rd Strike or something like Guilty Gear. By that I mean the controls are pretty basic. You don't even have to worry about things such as dashing or parrying, but the strategy and tactics used can be pretty deep.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Since you're already interested in it, you should really get SSFIIHD. It is my favorite fighting game ever made, hands down. SFTII is also pretty simple to learn, it's definitely not as complicated as 3rd Strike or something like Guilty Gear. By that I mean the controls are pretty basic. You don't even have to worry about things such as dashing or parrying, but the strategy and tactics used can be pretty deep.

I want this game pretty bad based on what people are saying. It sounds like a sweet fighter.

K7 Avenger on
    Irish+Assasin+J.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    List of Recs spoiler'd:
    Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix - the ultimate version of the most classic 2D fighter ever, SSFIITHDR takes the original game and completely updates the graphics to support 1080p resolution, with newly redrawn art, and great new remixed music. One to two player head-to-head play either offline or online. Single player vs. CPU. Player vs. player over the same console. Player vs. player online. Training mode helps fighters hone their skills. Numerous online features: In-game voice chatting between players; Matchmaking flexibility through multiple options; Personal and friends statistics tracking; Worldwide rankings and leaderboards.

Banjo Kazooie
    - The classic Nintendo platformer stars a big, goofy honey bear named Banjo who wears tight yellow shorts and carries around a raucous, red-crested breegull named Tooie in his backpack. The bear-and-bird duo must use constant teamwork to rescue Banjo's sister from the evil Gruntilda who wants to steal her beauty. A solid platformer with loveable charm.

A Kingdom for Keflings
    - Place your customized Xbox LIVE Avatar in the medieval world of A Kingdom for Keflings, a new city-building game from NinjaBee. Play as your Avatar or choose from other friendly giants as you teach the local Keflings how to collect and convert resources to customize your kingdom.If you're looking for a laid back alternative to the typical XBLA fare, A Kingdom for Keflings is for you. It's a humorous, low-pressure/high reward strategy game that gives your brand new Xbox avatar something fun to do.

Mega Man 9
    - finally, the 9th sequel to the classic NES action-platforming series. Mega Man 9 is a true to form sequel in the series, sticking true to the NES's 8 bit roots, both in presentation and in gameplay. Tough yet rewarding, this game plays like the originals, but offers a great variety of bosses, items, and excellent level design. This game holds up to the best in the series in terms of gameplay, and furthermore, supports not only its own unique "achievement system," but offers a variety of downloadable content to extent the replayability. Recommended for Mega Man fans, action fans, and tough platforming fans.

Braid - Braid is a puzzle-platformer, drawn in a paint-like 2D style, where the player manipulates the flow of time in strange and unusual ways. Braid is challenging—but the challenge is about solving puzzles, rather than forcing you to replay tricky jumps. Imaginative, innovative, and engrossing puzzler.

Bomberman Live
    - Classic top down, grid based Bomberman gameplay; awesome multiplayer/party style bombing gameplay with online multiplayer support.

Portal: Still Alive
    - Portal: Still Alive features the full award-winning Portal single player game from Valve, plus a new challenge mode. Break the laws of physics using "portal" technology to solve puzzles and survive in this darkly comic story weaving adventure with brain-bending puzzles. The game includes fourteen brand new bonus puzzles to challenge even the most skilled test subjects.

Duke Nukem 3D
    - a perfect port of the original, classic first person shooter Duke Nukem 3D. Duke3D is a classic FPS because of its unique attitude and satirical style that pokes fun at movies and videogames. The game features more interactivity than most modern FPSs still strive for. The game has some of the most unique and varied weapons and items as well, ranging from a Jetpack that allows you to fly anywhere, to weapons such as the Shrink Ray, where you shrink opponents and crush them under your boots, to the laser tripmines for setting traps. The lengthy single player mode has been upgraded by allowing you to "rewind time" if you find yourself in a tough situation, as well as the ability to play the whole campaign with up to 8 players cooperative. And mulitiplayer on Xbox Live has never been more exciting with Duke's huge array of levels and crazy weapons/items that make deathmatch more fun than it has ever been.

Bionic Command Rearmed
    - A modernized remake of the classic 2D gameplay of Bionic Commando. With the same basic gameplay of the original,
    this game has been re-created entirely in high definition and clean 3D graphics and excellent animation. The classic swinging, shooting, platforming action of the original has been spruced up with the addition of abilities to grab barrels and enemies and launch them, a mechanic useful in the levels as well as against bosses.

Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 2
    - Experience the adrenaline rush from playing the latest version of the frenetic retro shooter Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2. New features include six action-packed gameplay modes, new enemies, new scoring strategies, and a diverse list of exciting achievements. If that's not crazy enough for you, try multiplayer mayhem for up to four players. Use power-ups in versus mode to boost your stats or handicap your opponent, or team up with others in co-op mode.

Penny Arcade Advenures (series)
    - An entertaining, comical and sometimes downright ridiculous RPG adventure featuring our beloved Gabe & Tycho that will keep you entertained for many hours. One of the most substantial Xbox Live titles to date. For fans of Penny Arcade, purchasing this game will be a no brainer.

Ikaruga
    - one of the finest Shootem'ups in the genre, this game is tense and difficult yet fair and rewarding, and makes great use of a black/white polarity gameplay mechanic for both strategy and gaining higher scores.

Castlevania SOTN
    - the classic 2D Castlevania game, this game combines elements of RPGs and classic Castlevania with the explorative, item-collection gameplay of Super Metroid.

Rez HD
    - Set in a cyberworld, the legendary fast-paced action-shooter Rez HD, created by Tetsuya Mizuguchi, provides the ultimate audiovisual experience as the player targets the enemies and hacks the system while creating their own beats. Rez opens your senses ... let's go to synaesthesia was the watchword when Rez released in 2001 to become a fan favorite. The dynamic, total integration of visual presentation, sound and player input provides the ultimate audiovisual experience.

Puzzle Quest
    - combining the addicting puzzle game qualities of Bejeweled with bits of RPG and strategy, this is a surprisingly unique and addicting XBLA title whose gameplay and replay value just last forever.

Geometry Wars Retro Evolved
    - The classic top down, twin-stick shooter, this is one of the best arcade, high-point addiction style games on the XBLA; think of it as a psychadelic combination of Asteroids meets Robotron meets awesome.

N+
    - seemingly simple on the surface, this is a fast paced, addicting and surprisingly deep action/puzzle game in which you take your Ninja character and collect items in order to reach the exit before time runs out; use ninja skills and cool ingame physics effects to achieve your goals.

Pacman CE
    - Pac-Man returns in this enhanced version of the all time classic videogame. Pac-Man Championship Edition has many new and unique gameplay features, but still spotlights the big yellow PAC-MAN we all know and love. The enhanced version now features constantly evolving mazes, a time limit, and six different game modes. Graphics and sound have been fully enhanced in this new version of the classic game.

Galaga Legions
    - update to classic Galaga arcade game while maintaining the addictive nature of the original - by the Pacman CE team. Addictive get-that-high-score gameplay.

Castle Crashers
    - hack and slash multiplayer beat'em up by the same team that made Alien Hominid. Great style and humor, great gameplay that harkens back to the days of the arcade quarter crunchin' beat'em up

Sonic 2
    - The classic Sonic the Hedgehog game that we all know and love. Defy gravity in hair-raising loop-de-loops, bounce like a pinball and race like lightning. Play against friends at home or against others over Xbox Live in this classic game. Enhanced graphics and sound, and cool online bits like leaderboards and achievements.

Uno
    - Classic party card game. Compete against three other players to match colors and symbols, go Wild with special command cards such as Skip and Reverse, and be the first to play all your cards. Three game modes: Choose from Standard UNO, Partner UNO, or House Rules UNO. House Rules UNO: Customize 10 different game rules to suit your preference. Single player: Go up against three computer players. Multiplayer play: Go online via Xbox Live against three other players. Downloads: Get add-on theme decks to customize the visual appearance and game rules.

Doom - Id's classic first person shooter in all of its glory. The original Doom makes you a one-man army as a space marine fights through space stations, the shores of Hell, and eventually hell itself. Hordes of demons in a nonstop fast-paced demon-blasting game.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
    - Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix downloads Capcom's popular puzzle game into the new generation. The new version of the game features newly created 1080p HD graphics, several new game modes, improved game balance, new stage backgrounds courtesy of Udon Entertainment and online play.You're getting a timeless classic with a great variety of new modes, and on top of that online gameplay. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix is most definitely addicting.

Soul Calibur
    - classic 3D fighting game that started the legendary series. Soul Calibur is one the deepest 3D fighters of its time, but is also very accessible. Easy to pick up and play, but with enough depth that any hardcore fighting fan can appreciate.

Alien Hominid HD
    - an HD remake of the Alien Hominid game, this is a game that represents everything we love about fast paced 2D action shooters. Alien Hominid takes its influences from Metal Slug and Contra, and combines some of its own unique twists in gameplay. Definitely a must buy for any fan of Metal Slug or Contra. Tough yet fun and rewarding, with excellent style and a unique sense of humor.

Metal Slug 3
    - the best of SNK's arcade classic series, Metal Slug 3 is difficult yet rewarding with some of the craziest and coolest levels and bosses in the series. Arcade platforming/shooting action at its finest.

Lumines Live!
    - A thrillingly-fast paced puzzle game that should appeal to everyone with its unique style and music that work together in a unique way. It provides an enthralling experience that almost anyone can be addicted to.Lumines Live! features full multiplayer mode on Xbox Live, unleashing leaderboards, achievements, gamer scores, online competitive modes, and more on Xbox Live gamers.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    Puzzle Quest - combining the addicting puzzle game qualities of Bejeweled with bits of RPG and strategy, this is a surprisingly unique and addicting XBLA title whose gameplay and replay value just last forever.

Seconded.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD, sweet sweet Arcade fighter action.
    Marble Blast, because it's classic puzzler. And it rounds off the 1600 points.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Space Giraffe.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FreddyD on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Braid is an absolute must-have first and foremost, but after that, I'd recommend Carcassonne if you like bored games. I play it quite a bit compared to my other XBLA games.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Braid is an absolute must-have first and foremost, but after that, I'd recommend Carcassonne if you like bored games. I play it quite a bit compared to my other XBLA games.

I'd half agree, regarding Braid. It was excellent, don't get me wrong, but once I finished, it was done.

I don't know if I'll ever actually be interested in playing that game again. It was a great experience, but the replay value was as close to zero as it can be. Since you have access to it on your friend's box, I'd play it, savor it, and be done with it.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Jeezes can't you people put those giant lists in spoilers?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ok, we get it. But I suspect that most people are too lazy to actually dig those games up themselves without a link and a pretty picture to go with it. I don't know how MS made any money off of XBLA before NXE.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Puzzle Quest - combining the addicting puzzle game qualities of Bejeweled with bits of RPG and strategy, this is a surprisingly unique and addicting XBLA title whose gameplay and replay value just last forever.

Seconded.

I would also highly recommand Puzzle Crack.. eh I mean Puzzle quest. It's addictive, fun and on xbox 360, after you are done with the original game, you can buy an expension pack for new missions, classes, etc... And Puzzle Quest offer a LOT of gaming hours for your money...

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you've never played Symphony of the Night, then, well, you need to play Symphony of the Night.

Other than that, you probably can't go wrong with SSF2HDR or Castle Crashers, especially if you are into multiplayer games.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'll try to limit my suggestions to what others have overlooked:

Band of Bugs + expansions - Great turn-based strategy, map editor, and a good amount of missions
    Commanders: Attack of the Genos - Another TBS (well TBS/RTS hybrid). No map editor, but the story missions are fun, and there's a good amount of units and the campaign is pretty long.
    EXIT puzzle platformer about rescuing inept people from all sorts of situations
    Heavy Weapon best shooter on XBLA, and yes - the 360 version is better than the PC version - War Party is especially fun
    Prince of Persia Classic all the awesome you remember from your childhood but gorgeous to look at and playable from your couch

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    I'll try to limit my suggestions to what others have overlooked:

EXIT puzzle platformer about rescuing inept people from all sorts of situations

This is almost never mentioned in recommendation threads. Really good game, solid art style and gameplay. The demo is a little slow to start as it's mostly tutorials, but it's worth a purchase if you don't have it on PSP.

solsovly on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Settlers of Catan / Carcassonne / Ticket to Ride - Faithful ports of awesome board games

YES, meh, and YES.

I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like Carcassonne, but the others are awesome.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Super Street Fighter II HD Remix
    Galaga Legions
    Pac Man Championship Edition

These three are awesome.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997