As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Free Trials, ask for one in the thread.

• ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dis wrote: »
    WTB, Scenario Keep Battles like AV.

WTB keeping anything remotely similar to AV the fuck out of this game.

Goddamn that place was horrible incarnate.

Screamline on
  • jaredburtonjaredburton Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Did someone say free trials? Because I would love a free trial.

jaredburton on
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    These friend trials. Is it going to make me play on the same server as the giver? Just wondering before I beg for one as I will probably want to play on an oceanic server.

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to answer this since I missed it.

I'm pretty sure the trial is not locked since the last person I gave a trial to asked me which server to make it on over vent so I'm guessing he got hit with a giant list of servers.

If you want to know what oceanic servers people here play on I play destruction on darklands and morblitz plays order on ironclaw.

Yush. Both are good fun servers (I also have baby destros on darklands) but lord knows Ironclaw could use a few more orders. PM me if interested in a trial. I'm not sure how many I can give out as I probably going to save at least one for a friend, but hey. You won't know until you ask!

What about this free month thing, if someone subscribes on a US server or whatever, you still get the reward? Cause, neat. I'm kinda hoping anyone wanting a free trial will want to get it anyway :D but just want to test the waters first, though the game's good enough to be pretty certain about it anyway.
    Edit: I'm going to bed now so if anyone does actually PM me about it i'll reply tomorrow.
    Did someone say free trials? Because I would love a free trial.

PM me, we'll talk.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If someone asks for a free trial it is probably better for people with trials available to just PM them for their e-mail. It'll get it over faster.

Accualt on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wooooooow. I made an ironbreaker on badlands.

Wooooooooooooooooooow.

Why do order get such good tanks? A good ironbreaker can give armor to his entire goddam team. That's ridiculous. No wonder organised teams are so hard to kill.

And they can reduce all armor by 75%??? 100 grudge is easy to get if you keep putting your oathfriend on whoever is getting hit.

I practically use squared more than my dok!

This class is dope.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kagnaros wrote: »
    Damnit. Why does Blackguard have to be so awesome with the polearm and then just looking so awesome already at level 7.

Damnit. Damnit. Damnnn.

Even more frustrating is how useless two handers are currently. Sacrificing a large amount of defense from a shield doesn't warrant such a mediocre DPS increase. But the animations are pretty awesome.

I still think dual wielding swords ought to have been a DPS option for BG (maybe as a mastery pick).

Yoshua on
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Wooooooooooooooooooow.

Why do order get such good tanks? A good ironbreaker can give armor to his entire goddam team. That's ridiculous. No wonder organised teams are so hard to kill.

And they can reduce all armor by 75%??? 100 grudge is easy to get if you keep putting your oathfriend on whoever is getting hit.

This class is dope.
    Getting to 100 Grudge is of arguable difficulty (depends on the circumstances), but I think most IBs would agree getting there while using your grudge abilities does take awhile. Which in PvP means you're usually only getting to full effectiveness after your side has made a push, lived, and now have momentum on its side.

Swapping oath friends constantly to get grudge wastes the oath friend buffs, so it can be tricky to balance the two. Also, as a tank it's kinda the IB's role to try to keep others from getting hit, so unless they're a decent bit aways, an IB would probably be trying to knock back attackers or applying Guard as a first action instead of applying oath friend to this new person, especially since the person already oath friended and buffed might hopefully be assisting off of the IB and is coming to help as well.

What ability gives the entire team armor? I'm pretty sure there's no such thing. Guarded Attack is pretty cool, though, it gives the IB and the oath friend a good dose of armor. And there's a morale that reduces all damage to the party by 75% for like 10 seconds, that's pretty rad.

Dizzen on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dizzen wrote: »
    What ability gives the entire team armor? I'm pretty sure there's no such thing. Guarded Attack is pretty cool, though, it gives the IB and the oath friend a good dose of armor. And there's a morale that reduces all damage to the party by 75% for like 10 seconds, that's pretty rad.

There is no ability that does this. However, a tactic in the tanking tree does give a Toughness buff to everyone in the vicinity of your Oathfriend.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I rolled up an IB about a week before the BG became available, just for kicks. It also helped that order on Badlands had a ridiculously quick que time compared to destro on REM. (and we won most matches)

After using the knockback, I was sold. My Chosen only made it to R24, but after bringing the IB up to R21 she took out a shovel and dug a grave for the Chosen. He was indeed dead to me. >)

Fryhole on
  • theconductor221theconductor221 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I haven't been on my Engineer for a while because of the holidays, but I promise to get on more.
    /crosses fingers

theconductor221 on
    edited January 2009
    Fryhole wrote: »
    I rolled up an IB about a week before the BG became available, just for kicks. It also helped that order on Badlands had a ridiculously quick que time compared to destro on REM. (and we won most matches)

After using the knockback, I was sold. My Chosen only made it to R24, but after bringing the IB up to R21 she took out a shovel and dug a grave for the Chosen. He was indeed dead to me. >)

I got to be honest here. the knockback on my IB really isn't that big of a deal to me. And I mean both the single-target and the AoE one. They are highly situational, only really useful in TA. I rarely use them in PvE. I mean they are good for punting melee dps on my healers, but I can do that too on my Blorc.

Don't get me wrong, I love my IB as well. it's just that I get more out of stuff like Cave-In, Earthshatter, Grumble an' Mutter and Grudge-born Fury.

Tell you what, at max Grudge, armor debuff - snare/dot - Taunt - Cave-In - GBF - Earthshatter = dead anything.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    are all you people rolling characters on Badlands in the Candymancers? if not, let us know so we can rectify the situation. most of the regulars are in T4, but we all have an alt in the guild (and probably a couple more on the side) so we have people in most of the tiers to get some group mayhem going, if people want it. you just have to speak up.

skippymchaggis on
  • MeowMixxMeowMixx Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is there anyone here with an open Trial I could use? I keep reading these WAR threads and keep almost just buying the game, but a trial would likely be the better route.

MeowMixx on
    288623.jpg
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Wooooooooooooooooooow.

This class is dope.
    Getting to 100 Grudge is of arguable difficulty (depends on the circumstances), but I think most IBs would agree getting there while using your grudge abilities does take awhile. Which in PvP means you're usually only getting to full effectiveness after your side has made a push, lived, and now have momentum on its side.

Swapping oath friends constantly to get grudge wastes the oath friend buffs, so it can be tricky to balance the two. Also, as a tank it's kinda the IB's role to try to keep others from getting hit, so unless they're a decent bit aways, an IB would probably be trying to knock back attackers or applying Guard as a first action instead of applying oath friend to this new person, especially since the person already oath friended and buffed might hopefully be assisting off of the IB and is coming to help as well.

I didn't know the buffs dissappeared. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, because by swapping my oath all the time to whoever is in most danger I am guaranteed to have grudge roll in like dark dark candy.

So, grudge buffs essentially get costed by the person requiring them at any one point. It makes them free.

Buffs ticking away on someone not in danger are wasted buffs to me anyway. Guard is limited by group.

But yeah I was talking about guarded attack spamming and swapping your oath friend around.

I really don't see the point of buffs ticking away for no reason, if they need them again they'll get the oathfriend again, I'll have 100 grudge by then again anyway.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited January 2009
    Hiryu02 wrote: »

I got to be honest here. the knockback on my IB really isn't that big of a deal to me. And I mean both the single-target and the AoE one. They are highly situational, only really useful in TA. I rarely use them in PvE. I mean they are good for punting melee dps on my healers, but I can do that too on my Blorc.

Don't get me wrong, I love my IB as well. it's just that I get more out of stuff like Cave-In, Earthshatter, Grumble an' Mutter and Grudge-born Fury.

Tell you what, at max Grudge, armor debuff - snare/dot - Taunt - Cave-In - GBF - Earthshatter = dead anything.

I'm not high enough to have most of those skills, so I couldn't really comment on them. Being only R21 I haven't done much of TA yet, considering I just broke into t3. I was getting most of my fun from knocking squishies into our mid-line or wherever the PUG mob happened to be at the time. The fact that the KB launches makes it all possible. No more having to worry if a small hill, pebble or ant is in your way.

In fact, I feel really sorry for one DoK in Mourkain, whom I harrassed for something like 14 KBs in a row whenever it was off my cooldown.

Regarding the AoE knockback - not sure if it's now triggering the buff that prevents further KBs or CC, but once that happens it's pretty much nerfed and becomes more situational, which is fine with me.

Fryhole on
    edited January 2009

I didn't know the buffs dissappeared. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, because by swapping my oath all the time to whoever is in most danger I am guaranteed to have grudge roll in like dark dark candy.

So, grudge buffs essentially get costed by the person requiring them at any one point. It makes them free.

Buffs ticking away on someone not in danger are wasted buffs to me anyway. Guard is limited by group.

But yeah I was talking about guarded attack spamming and swapping your oath friend around.

I really don't see the point of buffs ticking away for no reason, if they need them again they'll get the oathfriend again, I'll have 100 grudge by then again anyway.

They last about 20 seconds.

Fryhole on
    edited January 2009

They last about 20 seconds.

Which part of my post are you referring to.

And lets be honest, just in case you are referring to the whole group bit, do you think that was serious? It was hyperbole man. I'm talking about giving it to people under focus fire. It keeps melee dps alive really well. Then they rape for you.

Morninglord on
    edited January 2009
    It was a reply to your first sentence, as I *try* to take the approach of providing info, as opposed to nit picking and making sure other people are capable of doing exactly what they say within game mechanics.

Fryhole on
    edited January 2009
    I like you already.

Morninglord on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What's with the title, I can't find any news about the trial?

Fuga on
  • YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fuga wrote: »
    What's with the title, I can't find any news about the trial?

Current subscribers can give people 7 day access.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In EU too?

Fuga on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I rolled a swordmaster up to 11

They're pretty fun. I hear they are pretty shoddy when compared to a black orc though :(

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited January 2009
    I'm pretty sure the reason I like my dwarf so much is because I named him "Badgers".

His last name is going to be mushroom.

You may be going WTF well the reason is simple.

Chosen will randomly say something that sounds like "Badgers!"

So basically whenever I'm fighting a chosen they will call me by name.

Morninglord on
  • DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, it's just depressing on my server. Tier 2 is 100% completely dominated by destruction. Order is lucky if we can steal a battlefield objective. I don't know if it's because we're so grossly outnumbered or if it has to do more with everybody leaving as soon as destruction shows up.

Guess I'll just grind it out to T3 where it seems a bit more balanced.

Defenestrator on
    edited January 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    So I rolled a swordmaster up to 11

They're pretty fun. I hear they are pretty shoddy when compared to a black orc though :(

I likeys my Blorc. I already have my maximum allowed poncy elf quota with my White Lion. He is on hiatus though, as are most of my alts, until I get my BG and/or BO to 40.

Hiryu02 on
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When you ask for a trial plz specify US/OZ or EU.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a 21 IB and loved the keg bearded lug, as far as tanks go I think BO's are my second favorite. I've been underwhelmed by the BG and gave up on him fast. My BO might become my primary alt. I really need t avoid playing alts right now though. I want to get my DoK to 40. Half way there...

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

the aoe knockback in t4 saves healers. Ask Sindahl, Saiph, Shimmer, etc. when they've gotten jumped by multiple destruction, I can just sit next to one of them and knock everyone away, giving them a way out, or at least a couple seconds' relief to regain health. It is also a great tactic to protect objectives and separate enemy healers from their support. The PvE benefits are huge as you can start your pull and as soon as all the mobs get to you, knock them down so that your healers can get your health back up after the initial alpha strike, and/or keep mobs from moving around too much so your dps have an easier time. Unless it's a boss fight (which are immune to the knockdowns usually) I generally always keep that tactic slotted.

Add the aoe knockback to grumble and mutter and earthshatter... fun times and lots of options (nothing like gathering 20+ mobs, aoe knockdown, earthshatter, grumble and mutter... and never lose a bit of grudge or health for the entire fight).

As far as oathfriending folks, buffing them, and then switching oathfriends... I had been told a while back that the buffs actually fall off, even if the timers didn't. With all the changes to how OF works over the past couple patches that might have changes to that, but it's still not very economical with the OF spell causing global cooldown, OF's cooldown itself being like 10-15 secs, etc. You still have to hit a mob with each buff-resulting attack...

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
    edited January 2009
    WolveSight wrote: »

the aoe knockback in t4 saves healers. Ask Sindahl, Saiph, Shimmer, etc. when they've gotten jumped by multiple destruction, I can just sit next to one of them and knock everyone away, giving them a way out, or at least a couple seconds' relief to regain health. It is also a great tactic to protect objectives and separate enemy healers from their support. The PvE benefits are huge as you can start your pull and as soon as all the mobs get to you, knock them down so that your healers can get your health back up after the initial alpha strike, and/or keep mobs from moving around too much so your dps have an easier time. Unless it's a boss fight (which are immune to the knockdowns usually) I generally always keep that tactic slotted.

Add the aoe knockback to grumble and mutter and earthshatter... fun times and lots of options (nothing like gathering 20+ mobs, aoe knockdown, earthshatter, grumble and mutter... and never lose a bit of grudge or health for the entire fight).

As far as oathfriending folks, buffing them, and then switching oathfriends... I had been told a while back that the buffs actually fall off, even if the timers didn't. With all the changes to how OF works over the past couple patches that might have changes to that, but it's still not very economical with the OF spell causing global cooldown, OF's cooldown itself being like 10-15 secs, etc. You still have to hit a mob with each buff-resulting attack...

Oathfriend's cooldown is 2 seconds on my Ironbreaker.

Economical shmeconomical what is important in pvp is that you have grudge and hopefully the person about to die does not die.

That really is all. You just kind of repeat that for each person and viola your whole team isn't dead.

I hit any random guy in pvp I just run up to the person I'm oathfriending and hit next enemy and an attack.

I mean I saw a wp getting hammered, I oathfriend him by the time I get to him I have 60 grudge. You'd have to give me a very good argument why getting 60 grudge in a few seconds is inefficient. Even if he dies I still have that grudge now.

Morninglord on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bah, elves look fine.

Lower tier elven helms on the other hand...

D:

HappylilElf on
    edited January 2009
    I'll give some thought to Powered Etchings when I get higher into T4, Wolvesight. Sounds like you do what I do with it pretty much. I also enjoyed clearing a path through a heavily defended bridge with it.

I'm currently messing about with a 2-handed spec, just for fun. I kill shit fast, but I gotta watch my pulls or else I die.

I'll probably swap back to Earthshatter/GnM when i get another level or 2 under my belt. That build is just like a prot porcupine pally, very enjoyable. I don't kill fast, but I'll be damned if I can't solo pull groups and AoE them down by myself.

On another note, None Shall Pass on my BG is underwhelming. It's good for Hate regen, but you cant use any other abilities while you have it up.

Hiryu02 on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm pretty sure the reason I like my dwarf so much is because I named him "Badgers".

I think he says "nadgers"

like the empire soldiers do

It means "balls"

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »

I think he says "nadgers"

like the empire soldiers do

It means "balls"

Now my last name is going to be Nadgers....

Morninglord on
  • XzeanXzean Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I always thought that while Empire says Nadgers, Chaos just genuinely says Badgers.

Xzean on
    9df14c6e1e43475d.png
    edited January 2009
    It would fit into the chaos theme.

I mean, why badgers?

Morninglord on
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    WolveSight wrote: »
    snip

Oathfriend's cooldown is 2 seconds on my Ironbreaker.

Economical shmeconomical what is important in pvp is that you have grudge and hopefully the person about to die does not die.

That really is all. You just kind of repeat that for each person and viola your whole team isn't dead.

I hit any random guy in pvp I just run up to the person I'm oathfriending and hit next enemy and an attack.

I mean I saw a wp getting hammered, I oathfriend him by the time I get to him I have 60 grudge. You'd have to give me a very good argument why getting 60 grudge in a few seconds is inefficient. Even if he dies I still have that grudge now.
    See, the 'even if he dies, I still have grudge now' is the part that sounds bad to me. It should be the other way around: 'even if I don't have grudge anymore, at least he's still alive'. This is the point I was trying to get on earlier, as Ironbreakers are not light on CC abilities (as far as being a tank goes) and buying time for folks is more important than building grudge.
    Could you clarify what you're saying here? The only 'free' part that I see is the application of the oath friend buff.
    Buffs ticking away on someone not in danger are wasted buffs to me anyway.
    Except that you're talking about applying it solely to get your 10/5/3 grudge per hit, so it has no defensive properties in that context. With defense in mind, applying guarded attack right after gives them armor if they're close, but that's roughly 2 seconds after you started reacting (and is worthless if they're getting hit by a caster). Maybe Oathbound (if you have it) for some initiative and parry, roughly 4 seconds into the reaction. If it was a witch elf or another class with strong burst damage going off on a squishy that you were oath friending, he's now nearly dead by the time that 4.5 seconds of global cooldown are up for you to do something to actually get the enemy off 'em.

So then the guy dies and you got maybe ten oath-friend-hits worth of grudge (he may have taken more, but what you get isn't always reflective of that), which means that if you were already above 60 grudge, you only got enough to afford one more Away With Ye knockback; less if you did use Oathbound, which is the more significant defensive buff.
    It may seem that way really early on, but as you level up you'll see that Oath Friend buffs in general are just as offensive as defensive. For example, if you're oath friending a warrior priest who's by your side tearing stuff up with you, then you've got one of the best duos in the game, as you can be buffing their strength and willpower and armor and whatnot while they can be healing the both of you and generating grudge for you (as he's a healer and thus going to be attacked) and assisting off of you and debuffing your targets. Throw in Guard, and that's a warrior priest's favorite place to be.

As an IB, the best defense you can provide for you team is a good offense, disrupting casters and snaring melee and severing blessings and knocking folks back and giving their healers one heck of a bad day. Providing someone who's been jumped a bit of armor and occasionally parry and initiative when they're being jumped? That's trying to staunch a depleting health bar, when you should be pointing to left field and knocking someone straight out the ballpark. Healers are going to do a better job of the former, and Ironbreakers can buy those healers the time to do it by axing people in the face, with your pocket WP/witch hunter in tow to salt the wounds and dig the grave.

That's how Iron Breakers roll. When they're not Holding the Line, anyway.

edit:I might be just a leeetle oversensitive when it comes to Iron Breaker commentary, so sorry if I get a touch too wound up or long winded on the subject. After encountering and talking to enough people trying to play their IB like a Knob/Chosen or just throwing their oath friends on the stupid WH that runs into death instead of buffing the person fighting next to him, I tend to get into rant mode easily.

Dizzen on
  • EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was thinking about trying this out with my brother, who finally bothered to get internet access. Any chance I could get 2 free trial invites? We'll probably start up on the PA destruction server. Oh, and if anyone has some fun duo suggestions, that would be great too.

Ellthiteren on
  • CleveraliasCleveralias Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Badgers ? We don't need no stinking badgers!!!

Cleveralias on
    jpg.jpg
    XBox360/One/Steam - Cleveralias
    PSN - The_Vandingo
    edited January 2009
    See, the 'even if he dies, I still have grudge now' is the part that sounds bad to me. It should be the other way around: 'even if I don't have grudge anymore, at least he's still alive'. This is the point I was trying to get on earlier, as Ironbreakers are not light on CC abilities (as far as being a tank goes) and buying time for folks is more important than building grudge.

I'm not an idiot. Not offended by you, it's just something you want to keep in mind. I come from a dok. I've very, very good at dok. Dok requires triage, heavily so. I also played a medic heavily in team fortress 2. Another class that requires flexibility, quick decision making, fast reactions, situational awareness, alertness and again, triage. Again, I'm good at it.

I think you can just outright dismiss any low level mistakes you think I might be making, I'm pretty comfortable saying that, and I know how arrogant it sounds.
    Drizzen wrote:
    Could you clarify what you're saying here? The only 'free' part that I see is the application of the oath friend buff.

When you are running up to someone who is in trouble you usually have a bunch of time unless you are close to them (in which case I wouldn't bother doing this, see triage above) where you can throw oathfriend on him before the assist train hits with plenty of cooldown to spare. Oathfriend has a 160ft range, so this is doable in every medium range melee in the game. It's more efficient than desperately throwing an axe.

From zero grudge this would give you an immediate away with ye the moment you got there. Since I don't have it right now I just concentrate on snaring, body blocking, and buffing them.
    Get it? Free away with ye to someone in trouble by casting of as you run at them.

I am quick enough to predict who someone is targetting with only a second or so of running time and have the knowledge to know who they are most likely to go for. I usually have oath friend on that person well before the first blow lands, or just after it.
    Drizzen wrote:
    Except that you're talking about applying it solely to get your 10/5/3 grudge per hit, so it has no defensive properties in that context. With defense in mind, applying guarded attack right after gives them armor if they're close, but that's roughly 2 seconds after you started reacting (and is worthless if they're getting hit by a caster). Maybe Oathbound (if you have it) for some initiative and parry, roughly 4 seconds into the reaction. If it was a witch elf or another class with strong burst damage going off on a squishy that you were oath friending, he's now nearly dead by the time that 4.5 seconds of global cooldown are up for you to do something to actually get the enemy off 'em.

So then the guy dies and you got maybe ten oath-friend-hits worth of grudge (he may have taken more, but what you get isn't always reflective of that), which means that if you were already above 60 grudge, you only got enough to afford one more Away With Ye knockback; less if you did use Oathbound, which is the more significant defensive buff.

Bolded part is a misunderstanding on your part. I am talking about when all you can really do is throw an axe or something. Might as well have of up so I can away with ye the moment I get there when I get it because of reasons outlined above. I only do this now because I don't HAVE away with ye.

This is connected to below.

The only times I throw it on someone just to get grudge are when I know that person is going to die from previous healing class experience well before I could even dream of treading my little dwarfy steps over there so I gain something from his death to hopefully avenge him. Remember, 160ft range. It's huge.
    Drizzen wrote:
    It may seem that way really early on, but as you level up you'll see that Oath Friend buffs in general are just as offensive as defensive. For example, if you're oath friending a warrior priest who's by your side tearing stuff up with you, then you've got one of the best duos in the game, as you can be buffing their strength and willpower and armor and whatnot while they can be healing the both of you and generating grudge for you (as he's a healer and thus going to be attacked) and assisting off of you and debuffing your targets. Throw in Guard, and that's a warrior priest's favorite place to be.

I do this now. And I don't abandon him when I get a combo like this going.
    Drizzen wrote:

As an IB, the best defense you can provide for you team is a good offense, disrupting casters and snaring melee and severing blessings and knocking folks back and giving their healers one heck of a bad day. Providing someone who's been jumped a bit of armor and occasionally parry and initiative when they're being jumped? That's trying to staunch a depleting health bar, when you should be pointing to left field and knocking someone straight out the ballpark. Healers are going to do a better job of the former, and Ironbreakers can buy those healers the time to do it by axing people in the face, with your pocket WP/witch hunter in tow to salt the wounds and dig the grave.

That's how Iron Breakers roll. When they're not Holding the Line, anyway.

I have saved numerous wp and runepriests lives with that quick armor buff. Armor=hots more efficient. You can't really argue with that.

I assume I will save countless more when I can immediately do a free away with ye soon as I get there.

And with the knockback immunity if they come back again welp it's easy to buff him now I don't have to think about it anymore, he's got of!

You are right about all the rest of it of course and that's how I intend to play the class.
    Drizzen wrote:
    edit:I might be just a leeetle oversensitive when it comes to Iron Breaker commentary, so sorry if I get a touch too wound up or long winded on the subject. After encountering and talking to enough people trying to play their IB like a Knob/Chosen or just throwing their oath friends on the stupid WH that runs into death instead of buffing the person fighting next to him, I tend to get into rant mode easily.

I play with a constantly flowing style, adjusting to each situation on the battlefield as I see fit. Any tactic I mention is going to be a situational one and is not meant to be taken as a default thing to do. I rarely have default things to do.

When I get more skills my tactics will change.

So yes you are being defensive, but it's not really your fault. It's very hard to describe what I do to someone else because I essentially make a snap judgement every second of the situation. Triage!

I'm basically talking about it as an extra benefit at a distance for a tank and a way to make people ignoring you when you have zero grudge be unable to do so because they're giving you grudge anyway.
    IT might seem like this is an extra complication to think about but I'll be honest, and this is prolly gonna sound arrogant again: Compared to Dok what I am describing is really easy.

Morninglord on
This discussion has been closed.