As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Happy new [CHAT]!

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Their justification of riding crops being a horrible idea was that you'd enter combat, and then you'd be wearing a worthless trinket.

Initially their fix was to enchant mounts, but then they revised the mount system...

I think it should just be a learned passive now, like gem perfection, or the tailoring cloth drop or what have you.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Don't know if this has been posted in one of the previous threads or not, but it's too awesome to risk it not being seen:

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I guess so, I just think it's dumb they put a level cap on it. If people want to get stuck in combat with a worthless trinket, let 'em. It's better to have the option than none at all.

And putting a level requirement of 70 on it, along with a restriction that it doesn't work for players over level 70, is 100% retarded. Just remove the item from the game if you're going to do that.

xzzy on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The lvl req is 69.

Fuga on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    I guess so, I just think it's dumb they put a level cap on it. If people want to get stuck in combat with a worthless trinket, let 'em. It's better to have the option than none at all.

And putting a level requirement of 70 on it, along with a restriction that it doesn't work for players over level 70, is 100% retarded. Just remove the item from the game if you're going to do that.

The problem is, if you don't make it unusable, it becomes something you have to compensate for/design around.

shryke on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Let's be honest here too. 10% just wasn't that bloody fast anyways. I sure as hell never noticed the speed boost whenever I put the thing on. Sure, you could tell if you were riding next to somebody who wasn't wearing the trinket as you slowly overtook them. I eventually stopped putting it on, because it just wasn't doing a whole hell of a lot, and I was tired of constantly forgetting to take it off in fights.

And this is in stark contrast to the 20% increase of Crusader's Aura, which I do notice whenever I turn it on with my paladin. 10% though? Wowee, I saved myself 5 seconds. Wonder how I'll spend that extra time.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited January 2009
    The 10% was pretty useful in battlegrounds, especially AB. Getting there just 1 or 2 seconds faster could be enough to prevent a flag going contested.

xzzy on
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    shryke wrote: »

The problem is, if you don't make it unusable, it becomes something you have to compensate for/design around.

Except they have to design around it anyway with the paladin aura.

khain on
    edited January 2009
    The 10% was pretty useful in battlegrounds, especially AB. Getting there just 1 or 2 seconds faster could be enough to prevent a flag going contested.

This is true.

But this also falls into the design change that Blizzard has been doing lately. The whole "Cutting out required items/talents" thing (for lack of a better description. They described this same situation with PvP and healing debuffs. People regard all the 50% healing debuffs as required in arenas to be competitive. Therefore, if everybody is using them, they might as well just have a global arena debuff that cuts damage and healing by 50%. The same thing applys to mount trinkets. If everybody is wearing them in BG's so they can reach the flags first... you might as well just increase all mount speed by 10% and get your slot back.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TheTish wrote: »
    Got the uber-expensive Mammoth Mount.

Holy. Lee. Shit.

I love it. I didn't realize just how much shit the two NPC's sell.

Food? Check. Water? Check. Arrows/Bullets? Check. WOOD? Check. Reagents? Check. Poisons? Check. Some basic trade good stuff? Check.

All that and they can repair!

Yeah... Everyone is shocked by the price tag until they see how incredibly useful it is.

My issue with it is that it's a land mount. I'd certainly buy up a flying mount version of it. Hell, Blizzard needs passenger flying mounts in the game.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They should just make a riding tabard or shirt that increases mount speed. Maybe make it tailor made, and requires a riding crop as an ingrediant or some shit, that way if you get caught in combat with your Jockey Shirt, instead of your Rich Purple Shirt, who fucking cares.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So what does everyone use for loot rules in their guilds? We started using something called EPGP, a sort of modified dkp type system and that seems to be working well for us so far.

Zerokku on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is Ashbringer still in the game? Or was it removed once Naxx was moved to Northrend?

The Corrupted Ashbringer can no longer be obtained. If you already had one, you get to keep it. The real Ashbringer is currently in the possession of Tirion Fordring.

Dehumanized on
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Since its just rl friends in my guild. We pretty much know who needs what and we just use the ingame loot thingie. We just started heorics/10mans and we still use it.

Laonar on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    So what does everyone use for loot rules in their guilds? We started using something called EPGP, a sort of modified dkp type system and that seems to be working well for us so far.

Master loot need / greed roll. Rather than just using the need roll, where someone once won like 5 things in Naxx when there were other people rolling on it as well. This keeps the loot being distributed, rather than 1 person getting all of it, at a time in the game when pretty much everyone is going to be getting upgrades.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My guild is using suicide kings which, despite my strong reservations, is actually working out pretty well.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is Ashbringer still in the game? Or was it removed once Naxx was moved to Northrend?

The Corrupted Ashbringer can no longer be obtained. If you already had one, you get to keep it. The real Ashbringer is currently in the possession of Tirion Fordring.
    Corrupted Ashbringer WAS the real Ashbringer...just corrupted by being wielded by Mograine for so long. In the DK starting quests, Mograine throws his weapon to Tirion who purifies it and it becomes the Ashbringer once more.

Dhalphir on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Corrupted Ashbringer WAS the real Ashbringer...just corrupted by being wielded by Mograine for so long. In the DK starting quests, Mograine throws his weapon to Tirion who purifies it and it becomes the Ashbringer once more.
    Well, yeah. I only said 'real' to make it clear that it was no longer corrupted.

Dehumanized on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hm. If I break my Spellfire set on my level 70 mage, I lose 40 spell damage.
    :?

Rizzi on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

I like EPGP. We run it for 25-mans (in 10-mans we go for rolls, with priority to people who haven't gotten any loot during that run). I think it's fair and impossible to cheat in unless the people who manage the system are all in on it. Which goes for any system.

Since your points decay you can't hoard points for some drop. Eventually you reach the level where your decay is as big as the points you get per week, and then you stop at that score.

Echo on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey Halfmex, why does Aces High! suck?

Well, funny you should ask, I just happen to have the answer:

See, when your drake that you get fires out little pussy-ass 1k damage shots which rely on energy to cast while your opponent shoots 5k+ damage shots that appear to consume no resource whatsoever, that's pretty much bullshit. Then top it off with the fact that said opponent can also fire an "Arcane Charge", which essentially will take you from 100% to near death if you don't use energy to build combo points and pop your fire shield. But what's that you say? The shield, despite the fact that you've generated five combo points, lasted only half a second, and it does this randomly? Well hell, you just lost another drake. Time to go get another one from that bitch Corastraza.

I hope the dev responsible for this quest gets swarmed by angry fire ants.

Halfmex on
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That quest should give like 350 rep at least instead of the piddly 250 rep like all the others.

Poketpixie on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    while I don't ever die anymore to Aces High! I also make sure to fight over platforms so if I do die I don't spend 20 minutes waiting for the epic slowfall to take me all the way down to the ground

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That quest should give you without dying 500 or 750 rep because it's hard enough

Brainleech on
    edited January 2009
    How about they make the quest not suck?

xzzy on
    edited January 2009
    It's a stupid pain in the ass the first time you do it and have no idea what to do. Once you figure out the magic combination of buttons to press though, it becomes cake.

My personal rotation that kills them quick and easy:
    Fireball up to 5 combo points and use the dot. Fireball again for 1 combo point and again use the dot. Then, spend the rest of the fight fireballing up to 5 points and using the shield. By the time the dot wears off, it's about 5 fireballs from death, and the shield spam means you should still be at about half life or so. Their arcane surge attack sometimes catches you between shields, but all you have to do is watch the cast and hit your shield with however many points you have. 2 points is enough to last through it as long as you cast it just before you get hit.

Easy peasy. But I don't deny the quest is a bitch. Glad I never have to touch it again.

The Wolfman on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh when everything works like it's supposed to, sure, the quest is easy enough (if still a pain in the ass). Trouble is that it (at least for me) often doesn't work that way. Sometimes the drakes arcane surge right off the bat, other times it's when they get to 75%, or sometimes it's 50%, and sometimes they don't do it at all. Thing is, you have to manage your energy enough to ensure that you have enough to build combo points for the shield and heal yourself at other times.

It wouldn't even be an issue if the devs had actually implemented a reasonable amount of daily quests for more than just one faction (Ebon Blade), but nope. They used the "just slap on a tabard and run infinity heroics" method to supplement anemic dailies for every other faction. I'm hoping that they implement more dailies for these factions in 3.1 or so, but I haven't read anything about that.

Halfmex on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What I'd actually recommend doing is going Fireball fireball Dot, Fireball fireball dot. Its how the Malygos fight works, and to be honest, that fight is basically just to prep you for Malygos, so you might as well do it the way the fight demands.

However, if you know you'll never do Maly, do it the way that gets it done fastest :0

Dhalphir on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I'm thinking of coming back to WoW, but I'm curious if there's a temporary free trial for WotLK. I quit over a year ago because I couldn't commit the several consecutive hours endgame content took. Levelling to 70 only to hit a brick wall is only fun so many times. I don't want to drop $50 on the expansion only to find out that it's more of the same shit that caused me to quit in the first place.

I'm currently playing Warhammer, and one of the things I love about that game is that I can pretty much up and log any time I want. It's very helpful for the times I draw wife aggro. Unfortunately, I find it a slow and tedious game, whereas WoW had so much content it was hard to get bored.

Thoughts?

SeñorAmor on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    Front page of the WoW site has a Wrath trial.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    re: Aces High!

there, do that over and over and any retard can win Aces High.

Cilla Black on
    edited January 2009
    The REAL pain with Aces High! is when you die. You either get the 20 minute drop to the ground (oops, just missed that platform) or if your REALLY unlucky, the drake STILL keeps attacking you after your drake dies, you die in about 2 seconds up on a high platform and get the joy of spirit rezing because tickets tke ages and no flying ghosts in Coldarra for some idiotic reason.

Anyway, stand over one of the platform, pray you don't get double-teamed by a random pathing dragon (happens occasionally and means your dead) and do this:

3 fireball, DoT
    3 Fireball, DoT
    5 fireball, DoT (you've now got max uptime on the strongest DoT you can do)

Now switch to healing yourself. Shield when you hear the charge up sound for arcane surge.

shryke on
    edited January 2009
    But no, seriously. Practicing for malygos is the ideal way to do the daily, but once you're sick of that and just want to faceroll the 250 rep every day

1,1,1,1,1,5,3. 5 doesn't trigger the gcd so you can do it basically at the same time as 3.

Cilla Black on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Sweet jebus. 6.5GB download.

So am I going to hit a brick wall at 80 like I did at 60 and 70? I can play a lot, but not in big chunks, without my wife getting mad at me. Does endgame stuff still take 5 and 6 hours to complete or has Blizzard whittled it down so a lot of stuff can be done in a 2-3 hour range (or less)?

Thanks.

SeñorAmor on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

So am I going to hit a brick wall at 80 like I did at 60 and 70? I can play a lot, but not in big chunks, without my wife getting mad at me. Does endgame stuff still take 5 and 6 hours to complete or has Blizzard whittled it down so a lot of stuff can be done in a 2-3 hour range (or less)?

Instances (including heroics) you would fit easily. You won't clear raids in 2-3 though. (Well, OS and Maly are short, but Naxx takes most people much longer)

My guild only raids 3 hours a night, so you might be able to find what you want.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited January 2009

Thanks.

Heroics are easily done within a 2-3 hour time scale.

shryke on
  • cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    HeroicS that is. Like, 4 or 5 heroics in 2-3 hours.

Also, there is nothing about Aces High that sucks once you know how to do it. It's incredibly easy, fast, and lets you practice for a boss that needs practicing. It's a very good idea by Blizzard.

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    I like Naxx because it has clear break points. If you find a decent guild with similar time constraints, you can easily spend 1-2 hours on just one wing of Naxx.

The game also has a ton of dailies linked to rep.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited January 2009
    Yeah the more you raid naxx the easier it becomes for your guild to clear. We went from 1 wing taking 4 hours to 1 wing taking 2 hours after one successful clear. The learning curve, at least so far that I've encountered, is quite small. Supposedly at higher levels of experience/gear, the entirety of naxx can be cleared in like 3 hours.

Cilla Black on
  • Dr. GeroDr. Gero Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey guys, sorry for the random question, but:

What are the limitations on Scroll of Resurrection, besides the 90 days of inactivity? My friend wants to Resurrect my account, which has been inactive since July. However, I upgraded it to WotLK from BC, but it is still inactive.

So, would Scroll of Resurrection still work in our case?

Dr. Gero on
This discussion has been closed.