As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Free Trials, ask for one in the thread.

• WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    morning, my statement about rotating buffs was if you are trying to buff "everyone" with your oathfriend ability, which doesn't work/not economical. Doing so as you run up to someone is fine, but I'll tell you in T4, that person is probably going to be melted if they're alone against multiple destro.

You can argue with just about anyone as to which class is harder to play, and it will always come down to how "well" you want to play the class. Subjective argument that will always be relegated to the "uh huh, uh uh" style the internet has NEVER SEEN BEFORE. I am glad your ultra-keen abilities of recognition allow you to read the minds of those on the internet, I'm sure that comes in handy (see what I did there).

Do you "need" grudge to save that person you're running up on? Not really unless you want to rely upon the single target punt. Away with Ye isn't a bad ability at all, but this is where the aoe knockback again comes into play. Basically, you have 2 punts that you can use in 10 seconds in the event the other player(s) still has his/their immune buff. Bouncing grudge from target to target is fine if you just want to get that grudge for yourself, but I believe Dizzen was trying to point out that it is only effective for yourself. Buffing an ally so you can make a concerted push as a team is better than just saying, "oh, well, my guy isn't taking any damage yet, but he's okay for now right?" A warrior priest with the strength/willpower buff can be a god unto himself for example.

What you describe is very situational, and unless you plan on just bouncing oathfriend around and using your miraculous "I-am-the-one" abilities to predict/alter game events, remember that grudge is useless if you're the only one left standing against a warband of destruction that just rolled through your team because you just wanted to hit something harder.

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah sure whatever you win. Happy now.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • PaperPlatePaperPlate Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When do the free trials kick in? I want to let my friends try it to see if I can convert them.

PaperPlate on
    Minecraft: PAPRPL8
    League of Legends (your friendly neighborhood support): PAPRPL8
    edited January 2009
    Yeah sure whatever you win. Happy now.

I am happy with your tears... now we can be friends forever and play in a sandbox made from the dust of our enemies' crushed skulls...

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm not sure I'd like playing with you Wolve you seem to like to fail to read what I say then sort of spit out the same objections again.

For example, I did say it was situational and that I was mentioning it as a distance advantage.

You countered this by saying it was situational. I'm sorry to say, this is not a counter?

Not reaaaaaaaalllllly sure where I should go from there man.

I'd be like ok you guard x guy and you'd be like NO! That's WRONG You guard x guy!

I'll pass.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited January 2009
    I'm not sure I'd like playing with you Wolve you seem to like to fail to read what I say then sort of spit out the same objections again.

For example, I did say it was situational and that I was mentioning it as a distance advantage.

You countered this by saying it was situational. I'm sorry to say, this is not a counter?

I'd be like ok you guard x guy and you'd be like NO! That's WRONG You guard x guy!

I'll pass.

I was trying to make a joke to move it past... but then I guess you didn't get that either, much like you don't get it that the ironbreaker isn't a solo class, and it isn't always about you and your psychic abilities. We were talking about Oathfriend, not Guard. Whatever floats your boat man. :)

edit to bring things back on topic...
    anyone have any predictions on when a capital city will actually fall? It'd have to happen at 4am or some early hour, but it could happen...

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
    edited January 2009
    WolveSight wrote: »

I'll pass.

I was trying to make a joke to move it past... but then I guess you didn't get that either, much like you don't get it that the ironbreaker isn't a solo class, and it isn't always about you and your psychic abilities. We were talking about Oathfriend, not Guard. Whatever floats your boat man. :)

edit to bring things back on topic...
    anyone have any predictions on when a capital city will actually fall? It'd have to happen at 4am or some early hour, but it could happen...

You don't get that I wasn't describing it as a solo tactic.

You decided I was talking about it that way. And this has stuck and colored how you take it.

But I'm not describing it that way. So well done.

Morninglord on
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Quick question about free trials as I'm setting a couple up. It asks you for server and faction, but it's not one of those MUST answer questions like e-mail and first name. Are the people that I'm giving the trial to locked into whatever server and faction I choose? Because by default I'm probably just going to say Ironclaw, Order.

Or Badlands or something. Iunno.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No the player is not limited to that server. I guess it's there to be used as a reminder of which server your friend is playing on.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanks. I didn't want to condemn anyone giving the game a try to a server that's completely opposite of their own timezone. Ragequit.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    snip

You don't get that I wasn't describing it as a solo tactic.

You decided I was talking about it that way. And this has stuck and colored how you take it.

But I'm not describing it that way. So well done.

Um, you're the one that said "even if he dies, I still have grudge now". And don't you remember how this how conversation got started? You talking about how sweet the 75% armor pierce thing was and using oath friend on folks taking damage made it not hard to stay at 100 grudge. Neither of those are exactly team-friendly comments.

So yeah, that is how you described it. You may not have meant it that way when you were making enthusiastic but sweeping comments about how great the class was based on your tier one experiences with it, but that's how you conveyed it, and that has stuck and colored how I have taken it. So well done.

Dizzen on
    edited January 2009
    Bah, elves look fine.

Lower tier elven helms on the other hand...

D:

oh come on Happy... they're fine. Well, if we ever run out of rams, we can just pick up the nearest elf...

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bah, elves look fine.

D:

oh come on Happy... they're fine. Well, if we ever run out of rams, we can just pick up the nearest elf...

poor wolfera...

At least shadow warriors finally have a use! ;-)

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    They remind me of Eldar helmets for some reason. I have no idea why.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So. Before christmas I grinded (ground?) for three days to get my Battlebrew pack on Harrower. Today my girlfriend gets on her level 14 shaman alt and finds one after killing one snotling on her way to something. I then get on Oranje, my 20 chosen alt, and randomly kill one in hopes I'll get lucky. I don't. I say aloud "God I hate you, you lucky dick. I wish I had another pack." and then I killed another one and it dropped.

Between this and giving Battlestar Galactica a shot, this has been a good new year.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Juji KabanaeJuji Kabanae Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    I'm bored with WoW/CoX at the moment, and would like a free trial.

Juji Kabanae on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Avynte wrote: »
    Bah, elves look fine.

D:

poor wolfera...

At least shadow warriors finally have a use! ;-)

I kept getting Shadow Warrior drops so I made a Shadow Warrior.

I swear to god, by the time I finally hit R40 with one character I'm going to be in my mid 30s with a dozen others :P
    I think I need help D:

HappylilElf on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    After trying out being confession specced, I don't hate witch elves anymore. Or quite as much as I used to. Or maybe just as much as I used to.

God, I hate witch elves.
    witchesaz7.jpg

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • ElosElos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, Me and my friends just transferred our characters to a new server and left one of mine behind to catch the GM title and transfer the guild. The character holding the title was on an account that wasn't accessible to us so we just decided to wait until the automatic system did the job.

Now, it turns out, the new GL of our guild is one of my characters that was already on the new server at the time of the transfer. For some reason everybody who have transferred is still listed in the guild roster, and if the title is transferred according to character seniority it'll mean it will bounce trough 14 characters before reaching mine. D:

Elos on
  • KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    After trying out being confession specced, I don't hate witch elves anymore. Or quite as much as I used to. Or maybe just as much as I used to.

God, I hate witch elves.
    witchesaz7.jpg

I'm hooked on Confession spec too. I just can't live without Repel Blasphemy and Shroud of Magnus. Dragon Gun is like a little extra gift in that tree. "Hey hey...you want me don't cha? Don't cha wanna blow up a lot of people at once? Yeahhh, I know you do. Dragon Gun is your friennnnnd". :P

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is that 1000 player WEs? What the hell are bragging rights anyway?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • snapsnap Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    it's probably too late, but i would love to try this game if anyone still has a trial

snap on
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If I was playing with the free trial, and wanted to buy the game through steam, will I be required to re-download the game, or can I just use the files I already have installed from the disc?

Dourin on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I have a question for the experienced players in T4.

I've been seeing a sentiment floating around that the disable spam in T4 is out of control. Complaints of being chain-cc'd until death with no chance to fight back are going around. Is this really as bad as they are making it sound, or is it more of a perception issue?

I know that the immunity timers are still wonky, but as of now, how do you guys feel about this. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Also, would just fixing the immunity timers to work consistently pretty much eliminate this problem, if one does exist? I await your replies.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't have much of a problem with CC in T4

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dourin wrote: »
    If I was playing with the free trial, and wanted to buy the game through steam, will I be required to re-download the game, or can I just use the files I already have installed from the disc?
    I think that would be a redownload/reinstall, since Steam handles game files differently (they're all tucked away in giant archives under the steamapps subfolder of the Steam install folder). I could be wrong, but if so, that would make WAR a surprising exception to every other Steam game I've seen.
    snap wrote:
    it's probably too late, but i would love to try this game if anyone still has a trial
    NEVAR! Check your PMs. :)

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't see why you'd have to reinstall. All you need is the activation key to activate your account. His WAR client won't suddenly stop working.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    I think it's the same brag listed several times, for emphasis.
    Bragging rights are basically tome unlocks that you put in your character sheet so other players can see them.

Dizzen on
    edited January 2009
    I play a Magus in t4 and my CC problems are pretty high, even though I am not a priority target. I can't imagine what it would be like fora healer.

My solution to CC
    Make more abilities or items avaliable to break CC. Not just a cleanse where it might remove CC, but a definate "you are no longer controlled" like the tank ability. Then make it so the timer where you can't get CC'd is shorter than a timer that prevents you from breaking CC(IE you can't use another free-ing potion or freedom ability for 15 seconds). That way there can be a five-seven second window where if you use your CC breaking all willy-nilly, you will still get controlled.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dizzen wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    I think it's the same brag listed several times, for emphasis.
    Bragging rights are basically tome unlocks that you put in your character sheet so other players can see them.

Yeah, unfortunately, 1000 WE kills eludes me so far. But I'll get there. They do die so nicely.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A free trial would be ballin'.

zanmatto on
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hiryu02 wrote: »

I've been seeing a sentiment floating around that the disable spam in T4 is out of control. Complaints of being chain-cc'd until death with no chance to fight back are going around. Is this really as bad as they are making it sound, or is it more of a perception issue?

I know that the immunity timers are still wonky, but as of now, how do you guys feel about this. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Also, would just fixing the immunity timers to work consistently pretty much eliminate this problem, if one does exist? I await your replies.

I don't think the problem is really getting chain CC'ed, but more that some of the CC is so long that you're dead before it's up. A few casters have a morale ability that stuns for 7 seconds. That means no running away with your group and getting left to the whole other team, essentially meaning death to anything but a tank getting mad heals.

ghost_master2000 on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, but, how's that different from a damage morale ability from the same morale tier? Game turning into who can chain CC the other side into unplayability would be bad, but I don't see why getting CCd shouldn't be dangerous. Getting half your health knocked off is dangerous if you're about to enter the world of pain. Getting held in place is dangerous if your side is retreating (or you've a DPS counter class on your ass). Seems sensible to me.

Glal on
    edited January 2009
    The problem is that a damage morale is normally used for finishing. Your battle took your health down and someone picks you off with a morale. Good game, you died, whatever. CC morales are openers, preventing you from even being in a fight. You just stand there until you die or it breaks. And this is ignoring the fact that not all CC abilities are morales.

I love soft CC in games. Snares, Roots, disarms (How it SHOULD be where instead of not being able to attack you simply do not get the benefit of your weapon's DPS/Stats), short duration silences. I'm not trying to cry about omg its not fair because they alter how I play. Its simply stupid to make me unable to play, though. Especially for such a long duration with almost no way to break it.

Hard CC has its place. A well placed silence/knockdown/stun can turn the tide of a battle if used at the right moment. The problem is that a witch hunter can silence one healer, an IB can knock down the other, and if theres another? A ranged BW can silence or knockdown(I believe). And none of the cooldowns on these are like a minute or two long.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Yeah, but, how's that different from a damage morale ability from the same morale tier? Game turning into who can chain CC the other side into unplayability would be bad, but I don't see why getting CCd shouldn't be dangerous. Getting half your health knocked off is dangerous if you're about to enter the world of pain. Getting held in place is dangerous if your side is retreating (or you've a DPS counter class on your ass). Seems sensible to me.

Most of the disable morales also damage. And you can heal through damage, you can't do anything about disables.

Saammiel on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You can be healed through taking damage whilst CC'd?

Glal on
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hiryu02 wrote: »

I don't think the problem is really getting chain CC'ed, but more that some of the CC is so long that you're dead before it's up. A few casters have a morale ability that stuns for 7 seconds. That means no running away with your group and getting left to the whole other team, essentially meaning death to anything but a tank getting mad heals.

Yeah, even as a BW, I wouldn't mind seeing scintillating energy, our 7 sec, 1K+ damage, r3 morale nerfed if the damage gets buffed. 7 sec of stun is just ridiculous and shouldn't be in the game. It's basically a death sentence for the person I hit it with.

Even worse though is the PBAOE r2 morale, ruin and destruction i believe? It's the one that we share with DoK's. Aoe 6 sec stuns are just absurd and especially for a simple r2 morale. The damage is pretty nice too. With the help of an engy I've knocked out whole groups of destro before thanks to multiple aoes, but that's nothing new for either side.

Like starman said though, soft CC's are pretty rockin. I have no problem with snares and KB's because at least let me have some control over my character still. That's probably why t1 and t2 are so much fun. Snares, some roots, and the occasional KB are all that's around. Combined with the long TTK, the game becomes much more strategic and engaging. T4 battles just go so incredibly quick.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ok, so I went out and picked up my copy of this. My girlfriend, however, is curious about it. However, for some reason, after setting up my account, I do not have any referrals available to give away. I assume it's because I haven't actually paid for a month yet. Could one of you guys help me out, and PM me an invite code for her? Help me help her smash stunties!

Dourin on
  • BarkeepBarkeep Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh sweet Jove, free trials?

*puppy eyes*

LE EDIT: also, I'm in Yoorop, if that matters.

Barkeep on
  • zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Okay, I did the recruit a friend thing (thank you, by the way!). I have an account now, but where do I download the client?

zanmatto on
This discussion has been closed.