As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Navigate the Conversation Sea on a [Chat]amaran

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    That fucker that takes a while to get there? He's crazy.

bombardier on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Im sure it was terrible.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Psh. I'm sure you're terrible.
    See how I turned that around on you. Take that.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    D-Robe wrote: »
    Psh. I'm sure you're terrible.
    See how I turned that around on you. Take that.

Yeah, well... I'm sure you're not terrible.
    I can do that turny thing to, you know

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am so bad at going to bed early on nights before big trips, where I have to get lotsa sleep.

I am so bad at it!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I slept for 11 and a half hours last night. I don't know how I managed it, I used to be such a light sleeper. I'm thinking of setting my alarm clock so it doesn't happen again.

Also, I just can't decide which course I want to do most at university. There's architecture, which sounds like a fairly cool course, and I'm allowed to choose a minor from any other faculty (not to mention it's at the coolest uni around; University of Sydney). But then there's journalism and media and communications at University of Technology - a uni which no where near rivals the class of UoS - which also sound like pretty sweet courses.

Ack, and I only have a few days to decide! D:

Flay on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I also need to pick classes soon...I wonder what Bacon is taking...I want at least one class with him in it. Private message here we go.

rts on
  • Options
    Pink TentaclePink Tentacle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You and me both Flay. I'm probably going to go with a law + arts double degree at Adelaide uni. But to be quite honest, I haven't the slightest clue what I really want to do with myself.
    Though, until I can control my newfound post-highschool graduation ability to sleep in until darker hours of the afternoon, I probably won't be doing a lot with my life.

Pink Tentacle on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Aaaaaaaaaaand my scanner just broke.

Great. :|

EDIT: It's not such a great loss. It was pretty old and crappy anyways.

Flay on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thats why I never sit on my scanner.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh please. You can't tell me you've never gotten the urge to make a high-res scan of your ass and post it on message boards across the net.

Flay on
  • Options
    HobosapienHobosapien Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey, I hope this is an acceptable place to put this, I assure you I'm not trying to spam. I've been making comedy skits, and this is the first time I ever really focused on the visual aspect. The visual components of this skit are what are supposed to sell it - elements like framing, use of space, even lighting, perspective, and angle. I know this isn't technicaly something I've drawn, but it's an attempt at visual art. I don't post a new thread for fear of it being called spam or sitewhoring, which I'm attempting to avoid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-uU-Xqc41s

If anyone has any comments on the visual aspects of that, including tips on how to improve the production quality/picture, please pm me.

Hobosapien on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It sucks.

Get rid of the random little zooms that add nothing. Get a tripod so that it doesn't shake so much, or do real hand held if you want a documentary feel. Use of space in the frame - is this a joke? Everything is basically center framed.

Very boring.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    To each their own. The only comment I didn't get - do real hand held? How does one do more handheld than my friend holding the camera in her hand, or in my hand? Are you suggesting that if we jiggled it it more, it would fee more hand held? As far as it being center framed, if you have any specific suggestions, I'm curious. I wasn't really talking about camera work, though, if you refer to my original post. Aspects such as wardrobe, lighting (yes, I know the light is low, but that's the feel I was going for), and set decoration are all intended to set a mood. I'm curious if this mood is adequately achieved, outside your not unfair gripes about the camera work.

Hobosapien on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You do handheld for mobility - if you keep it in the same place why aren't you just sticking it on a tripod? A slight shaking is just distracting.

If the mood you were looking for was "guy with a home video camera," congratulations, you got that down pat.

Also elements like "framing" and "angle" do refer to camera work.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    As per the camera work, I'd say yes and no. I'm trying to focus more on elements that make up the composition of the image - not for beauty, but for effect. I'm attempting to talk about the actual content, the universe the camera attempts to capture, which is viewed through the lens of the camera. Obviously, how you use that lens matters. By content, I'm not really talking about the performances or the script, I mean the use of detail to attempt to build mood.

Hobosapien on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You take yourself too seriously.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Aw, c'mon, how seriously could I take myself and still make a video where I rant about how I'm turning into a dragon? Not that seriously, I assure you. But if it helps, superman laundry poop. If that's still too serious, I give up.

Hobosapien on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm not really sure I got any detail from that; aside from those aforementioned random zooms and what seemed to me to be adjustments of the camera (rather than deliberate movement), the camera was pretty stationary, and with the actors simply reading (or writing) a letter, there simply wasn't much happening. Having the camera on a tripod isn't so much something done for beauty, but in order to keep the shakiness from taking away from whatever effects you mean to show. As far as building mood, I can't pretend to have any experience with movies, but I would imagine the best way to do that would be to pay closer attention to lighting and framing.

And what Virum said.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fair enough, this is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I hope nobody thinks I'm getting defensive, I'm extremely new with all of this. I will likely reshoot it, so I'm actually looking for any suggestions people have. I'll be shooting more, so I'm hoping to get better as fast as possible.

Hobosapien on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hobo, I don't know what to tell you honestly - it's all so bad that I just don't know where to start. Your concept isn't that interesting - so I don't even want to watch it. If the visuals were good then I'd have some motivation but the fact is everything about the thing needs vast improvement. Better sound. Better lighting - what kind of lighting did you do? It looks all like existing light to me (which is not in itself a bad thing - the bulk of my two shorts are natural lit - the key is to find places and times with interesting lighting).

Good luck and sorry if I sounded snarky, I just can't see you really taking what you did there seriously as establishing a mood.

But I make movies, so I am more apt to be super critical so take what you will.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Virum, at the risk of repeating myself, I appreciate the feedback. We were already planning on reshooting, so this is basically a rough draft, including in performances. That doesn't mean I intended to waste anybody's time, I was hoping to get ideas before we reshot. I already accomplished that, to a degree. We have a steadicam, and a tripod, and will use both next time. I'm a tremendously amateur filmmaker, literally 1 month experience - I like gleaning the knowledge of others, and am mostly enjoying not getting bitched at for "sitewhoring" when what I want are tips to make my stuff better.

Hobosapien on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If you plan on redoing this project and posting more work I would make a thread if I were you.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I will, and I intend to hijack chat no longer. Thanks for the help, I'll make a thread when I have the finished product to show, or at least the next draft. I hope everyone has a great 09!

Hobosapien on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I saw Valkyrie. It was alright. Best thing I've seen recently is still Slumdog Millionaire.

Tam on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    Is there a way to restart the tablet drivers without restarting my computer?

Iruka on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    There is a Windows service called "TabletServiceWacom". You get to it by right clicking My Computer > manage > services and applications tree > services > find it on the right > right click then restart.

bombardier on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    Niiice. Wouldnt have thought of that, Thanks bombs. My tablet always gets upset when I close my computer and it goes to sleep, or if I unplug it and plug it back in with Photoshop still open.

Iruka on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wow! So that's how you do that. Thanks bombs!

In other news I can't dance and don't have the rhythm.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Guys, how much should I charge for a logo for a business? This is for a good friend's Dad, though, so I want to keep it a bit on the low side.

I really have no idea.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That depends on how good you are, and how big his business is. Really, you should charge probably a little more than you think your services are worth.

Pricing out your services is a huge part of being a professional, so you should try to figure it out on your own.

rts on
  • Options
    sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    my dad always gets me to make cd covers and logos and shit for his friends and i never get a dime, but that's my fault i guess. It depends how big the company is I think.

sharky t on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    so my roomate is fucking his girlfreind right now

ITs very loud. I think his room is like a music hall because it projects the sound through out the entire house. Its rather impressive how clearly I can hear her moaning/talking.

This happens everyday. 3 or 4 times a day. Im tired of it.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hopefully your roommate doesn't snore. I think having good anti-noise headphones and an iPod near you could ease the situation.

no_toast on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    so my roomate is fucking his girlfreind right now

ITs very loud. I think his room is like a music hall because it projects the sound through out the entire house. Its rather impressive how clearly I can hear her moaning/talking.

This happens everyday. 3 or 4 times a day. Im tired of it.

You should record it and make some kickin electro remixes.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That depends on how good you are, and how big his business is. Really, you should charge probably a little more than you think your services are worth.

Pricing out your services is a huge part of being a professional, so you should try to figure it out on your own.

It's a very small company and you know my level of skill. So given that, say you had my level of skill, how much would you charge?

Tam on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    always overcharge

people are cheap

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Tam wrote: »

It's a very small company and you know my level of skill. So given that, say you had my level of skill, how much would you charge?

I know your drawings, I haven't seen your logo work. Personally, I would probably ask a couple hundred bucks if it is a favor (if I were doing it).

rts on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Tam wrote: »

I know your drawings, I haven't seen your logo work. Personally, I would probably ask a couple hundred bucks if it is a favor (if I were doing it).

holy crap

uhhhh

whew this is going to take some thinking

Tam on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ...people ask for logo designs on Deviant art for anywhere between 50-200 dollars.. and deviant arts job lists are the bottom of the barrel.

Kendeathwalker on
This discussion has been closed.