As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moment of the Year 2008

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Alternate Reality Uncle Ben came back in FN Spidey though...

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2009
    and batman's dad was kind of back in RIP? I don't really know what happened though because I didn't read past the first couple issues of it, I guess

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Freedom Ring is totally dead though. There doesn't seem to be a rush to bring back gay male characters that are dead.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2009
    especially ones nobody ever really cared about!

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I want him to come back as a bad guy and change his name to Circle Jerk.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Freedom Ring is totally dead though. There doesn't seem to be a rush to bring back gay male characters that are dead.

Freedom Ring died? D: When?

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    and batman's dad was kind of back in RIP? I don't really know what happened though because I didn't read past the first couple issues of it, I guess

The odds that Dr. Hurt was actually Bruce's Dad are about the same as me being YOUR Dad.

While you can't exactly disprove it, it's still astronomically unlikely.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Some time ago, in the series in which he premiered (Marvel Team-Up?),

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Some time ago, in the series in which he premiered (Marvel Team-Up?),

Dammit, I missed that one! And I liked his spidey team up :(

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It was a pretty ignominious end, and probably the worst to happen to a character in his own book.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It was a pretty ignominious end, and probably the worst to happen to a character in his own book.

Well, that's not my moment of the year at all!

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well technically the poster boy for "dead means dead" was Bucky.

Being blown up off-panel in a flashback hardly merits inclusion into the "dead means dead" hall of fame that is reserved for the Waynes, Uncle Ben, and you know, civilians.

Hence that being Point Zero for bringing him back.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well technically the poster boy for "dead means dead" was Bucky.

Being blown up off-panel in a flashback hardly merits inclusion into the "dead means dead" hall of fame that is reserved for the Waynes, Uncle Ben, and you know, civilians.

Hence that being Point Zero for bringing him back.

Oh come on! If getting blown up in the 1940s (fairly convincingly even if it was technically off panel) and then having another character mourn your death for forty years isn't a convincing "dead means dead" then I don't know what the heck is!

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The most convincing "dead means dead" is when a character stays dead.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I don't see why Uncle Ben and the Waynes should be the standard for permanent death when they never were never really alive to begin with, having died in their very first appearances. You can't really compare the death of a main character to something like that, and if you can then you might as well include one-shot characters who were too uninteresting to revive and, yes, ill-fated civilians in the mix.

Course, if you're only looking at main characters, then you'll probably find that there is no such thing as permanent death at all.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Captain Marvel? Technically he remains dead.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oh, what about Peter Parkers parents? They've never actually come back, have they?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My favourite moments are a tie between the omfg-iness of Rage of The Red Lanterns and Nova confronting Galactus.

I had to go lie down after that panel until the awesomeness bled from my body the way oxygen passes through the near-dead Kitty Pryde.

KidDork on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Angry wrote: »
    i don't have the trade with me but didn't colossus die, have his body switched out and get revived?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: anyone that can look at those pages, see Colossus errupt from the room while Kitty just stands there shocked, and not feel something... well watch out, because you're a robot without emotions, and if you ever start thinking about becomming Skynet then you need to put yourself down for the good of mankind.

It's an awesome moment.

Also, the end of the 4th trade seemed pretty clear to me that they intended for her to come back at some point.

Couldn't have been clearer if the panels had been surrounded on all sides with [Foreshadowing] tags.

It might be a while, hell, they might not have plans to see her back for quite some time, but I'll be astounded (astonished, even) if Kitty Pryde isn't back in comics in the next couple years at the most. Hopefully before Jean Gray's next run around the universe, at least.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Psylocke is still dead right?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    nope!

but she might as well be

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    ThorionThorion __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    My Moment of the Year, ignoring All Star Superman (which is really beyond... well, beyond), is Darkseid's thumbs down. Final Crisis doesn't suck as much as it disappoints, IMHO; Turpin's posession was obvious from the first issue; but damn if it wasn't cool and written well.

Thorion on
    Wanted for failure to pay
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was honestly really underwhelmed by Giant-Sized Astonishing, and I'm a bit surprised by the amount of mentions it's getting. It was just so incredibly contrived it was ridiculous.

I have to admit, I did find the bullet's ability to put anyone who tried to stop it into a dead-to-the-world dreamstate to be just a bit too convenient. Was there even any previous indication that it could do such a thing? That it also turned Dr. Strange into the most useless super powerful mystic yet again also left a bad taste in my mouth. I really wish Marvel would figure out how to effectively write for their large-scale power characters.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ending of the latest JSA is one of my top-moments of 2008, even if it is 2 days late. (but it released in Canada on Wednesday, right?)

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    FCD wrote: »
    I was honestly really underwhelmed by Giant-Sized Astonishing, and I'm a bit surprised by the amount of mentions it's getting. It was just so incredibly contrived it was ridiculous.

I have to admit, I did find the bullet's ability to put anyone who tried to stop it into a dead-to-the-world dreamstate to be just a bit too convenient. Was there even any previous indication that it could do such a thing? That it also turned Dr. Strange into the most useless super powerful mystic yet again also left a bad taste in my mouth. I really wish Marvel would figure out how to effectively write for their large-scale power characters.

eh, i think if i was reading an x-men book, somehow i'd rather have an x-man save the day than have dr strange turn up out of nowhere and save everyone.

oh no, this legacy virus is killing all the mutants...dr strange will save us! oh no, red skull is crippling the economy...dr strange will save us! oh no, the hulk is back from outer space and running buck wild all over everybody...dr strange will save us!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well honestly, what's the point of being a deus ex machina if you can't magically solve every problem?

wwtMask on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well honestly, what's the point of being a deus ex machina if you can't magically solve every problem?

Pick up chicks.

Detharin on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    also, speaking of the red skull crippling the economy, i'd also throw out as a moment of the year in the final issue of the "man who bought america" captain america story
    after bucky saves the senator and a bunch of civilians by taking a rocket blast and everyone who saw it helps him up and starts thanking him and calling him "cap" and the media decides he really is the "new cap".

it was such a nice vindication for the character, especially after he got jeered earlier when he tried to talk down that rioting mob. it really felt like bucky earned it.

that whole storyline kicked much ass though.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Maybe they'll phase out Dr Strange's powers soon - we've already had hints at him not being Sorcerer Supreme forever in New Avengers - maybe all this tricky stuff is going to see him a magical burnout soon. Knows all the tricks, but can't pull them off.

If there was a mini-marvels trade, I would buy it.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    We know for sure that Strange is no longer Sorcerer Supreme and that various magical characters will be vying for the position.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My moment(s) both go to The Walking Dead. Namely:

Tyreese getting his head brutally chopped off by the Governor
    Lori and baby Judy getting killed. In fact the entirety of issue #48 was heart wrenching.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hayasa wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there's at least one digest collection. Go buy!

Wildcat on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    wwtMask wrote:
    We know for sure that Strange is no longer Sorcerer Supreme and that various magical characters will be vying for the position.
    What? Really? When did that happen?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Servo wrote: »

eh, i think if i was reading an x-men book, somehow i'd rather have an x-man save the day than have dr strange turn up out of nowhere and save everyone.

oh no, this legacy virus is killing all the mutants...dr strange will save us! oh no, red skull is crippling the economy...dr strange will save us! oh no, the hulk is back from outer space and running buck wild all over everybody...dr strange will save us!

That's what I mean. Characters like Strange and the Sentry are either deus ex machina or totally useless. There's no inbetween, and it just strikes me as lazy writing. I wish they'd either power down characters like that, so they could actually be useful in the normal Marvel setting, or put them someplace where their massive abilities wouldn't be overwhelming. Like, say, have Sentry go out into space, where he can encounter cosmic-level beings, who are as powerful or moreso than he.

FCD on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They need to take the character back to his Ditko roots, or give him to someone like Roger Stern to write (again).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    wwtMask wrote:
    What? Really? When did that happen?

Right after WWH when he leaves the NAs to walk the Earth and ponder how fucked he was that he had to use dark magic and summon Zom to fight Hulk.

NA #51 is about who succeeds him as Sorceror Supreme.
    That's what I mean. Characters like Strange and the Sentry are either deus ex machina or totally useless. There's no inbetween, and it just strikes me as lazy writing.

Dr. Strange is not a deus ex machina character. Bendis made an excellent point months ago in saying that the problem with him is that Marvel has over the years created a very extensive and detailed set of rules for how magic works, and how he practices magic. But no one knows all of that except the guy who wrote the overlooked Mystic Arcana mini, so the bad writing comes in the form of asshats who assume that he can do anything because he's Sorceror Supreme. The protagonist of Mystic Arcana challenged Strange over the title of Sorceror Supreme when he was a teenager and didn't get annihilated (nor has Baron Mordo or any number of Strange's opponents when he was more active in the '80s) because he's not that powerful.
    Psylocke is still dead right?
    nope!

but she might as well be

Fuck you. She'll be in Uncanny by summer.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That's what I mean. Characters like Strange and the Sentry are either deus ex machina or totally useless. There's no inbetween, and it just strikes me as lazy writing.

Dr. Strange is not a deus ex machina character. Bendis made an excellent point months ago in saying that the problem with him is that Marvel has over the years created a very extensive and detailed set of rules for how magic works, and how he practices magic. But no one knows all of that except the guy who wrote the overlooked Mystic Arcana mini, so the bad writing comes in the form of asshats who assume that he can do anything because he's Sorceror Supreme. The protagonist of Mystic Arcana challenged Strange over the title of Sorceror Supreme when he was a teenager and didn't get annihilated (nor has Baron Mordo or any number of Strange's opponents when he was more active in the '80s) because he's not that powerful.

What are his rules like? Are they akin to Equivalent Exchange from Fullmetal Alchemist, where he can only do X if he first gives up something equal to X?

FCD on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Hayasa wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there's at least one digest collection. Go buy!

It came out in July. They've even solicited a second one that's coming out in February.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

What are his rules like? Are they akin to Equivalent Exchange from Fullmetal Alchemist, where he can only do X if he first gives up something equal to X?

I have no idea, but a big explanation of how magic works in 616 Marvel reality is probably best suited for another thread entirely.

I've been trying to think of my MotY for a couple of days. I don't get a lot of comics, so I don't have a lot to choose from.

I think Won Ton Soup was my moment of the Year. The finale was amazing.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The REALLY over-short answer to Strange is this: magic is just a form of specialized super-science (which means it obeys physical laws, including Newtonian) requiring him to draw power from a source to do anything. These sources often have costs (e.g. drawing power from Zom is corruptive, etc.). Moreover, per The Oath (which I hate) there is apparently a sort of morphogenic field that restricts magic from being used to do anything science can do. In particular, they've applied this e.g. to curing cancer.

(I dislike this concept because it's just absurd...wouldn't that mean Earth magicians should be limited by Kree science, etc.? And how would that interface with the techno-magic of the Skrulls?)

mattharvest on