As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Movie Release Awareness - January '09 (Gim and Bigfoot seen being abducted by UFO)

TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
The Week of January 2nd

Good -Limited- (I love Viggo, but the reviews aren't looking good)

4407good.jpg

Director: Vicente Amorim
Stars: Viggo Mortensen
Studio: Paramount Vantage
Trailer & Review

The Plot: John Halder (Mortensen) is a 'good' and decent individual with family problems: a neurotic wife, two demanding children and a mother suffering from senile dementia. A literary professor, Halder explores his personal circumstances in a novel advocating compassionate euthanasia. When the book is unexpectedly enlisted by powerful political figures in support of government propaganda, Halder finds his career rising in an optimistic current of nationalism and prosperity. Seemingly inconsequential decisions lead to choices, which lead to more choices... with eventually devastating effect.

The Week of January 9th

Bride Wars (Nothing like Star Wars)

4179Bride-Wars.jpg

Director: Gary Winick
Stars: Kate Hudson, Anne Hathaway, Candice Bergen (Full Cast)
Studio: Fox 2000 Pictures
Trailer

The Plot: Two best friends (Hudson and Hathaway) become rivals when a clerical error results in their respective weddings being held at the same place ... on the same day.

The Unborn (I'm looking forward to this. Actually looks scary)

4213Unborn.jpg

Director: David S. Goyer
Stars: Odette Yustman, Gary Oldman, Cam Gigandet (Full Cast)
Studio: Rogue Pictures
Trailer

The Plot: Haunted by strange dreams and recurring ghostly visions, Casey Beldon (Yustman) turns to a spiritual advisor (Oldman) for help. Together, they learn that Casey had a twin brother who never made it to term, and that her intended sibling is tied to a curse that requires Casey's death in order to manifest itself in our world.

Not Easily Broken (I got nothin')

417Not-Broken.jpg

Director: Bill Duke
Stars: Morris Chestnut, Taraji P. Henson (Full Cast)
Studio: Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE)
Trailer

The Plot: A car accident threatens to sever the already fragile bond between Clarice Johnson (Henson) and her husband, Dave (Chestnut) -- especially when they both begin to develop feelings for other people.

The Week of January 16th

My Bloody Valentine 3-D (Why wasn't this released in February?)

3876Valentine.jpg

Director: Patrick Lussier
Stars: Jensen Ackles, Jaime King, Kerr Smith (Full Cast)
Studio: Lionsgate
Trailer & Review

The Plot: Tom (Ackles) returns to his hometown on the tenth anniversary of the Valentine's night massacre that claimed the lives of 22 people. And when another horrific event occurs soon after Tom's appearance, he finds himself suspected of the deadly acts.

Notorious (Casting an unknown as Biggie? Ergh...)

6869Notorious.jpg

Director: George Tillman Jr.
Stars: Jamal Woolard, Anthony Mackie, Derek Luke (Full Cast)
Studio: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Trailer

The Plot: A chronicle of Christopher Wallace's (Woolard) rise from the streets of Brooklyn to become Notorious B.I.G., one of biggest and best rappers of the 1990s, under the tutelage of mentor/producer Sean Combs (Luke)

Defiance (Man-crushing all up ins)

8837Defiance.jpg

Director: Edward Zwick
Stars: Daniel Craig, Liev Schreiber, Jamie Bell (Full Cast)
Studio: Paramount Vantage
Trailer & Review

The Plot: In 1941, a group of Jewish brothers organize the largest armed rescue of Jews during the Holocaust.

Hotel for Dogs (Don Cheadle, noooo)

7799Dogs.jpg

Director: Thor Freudenthal
Stars: Emma Roberts, Jake T. Austin, Lisa Kudrow (Full Cast)
Studio: Paramount Pictures
Trailer

The Plot: Orphaned teens Andi (Roberts) and Bruce (Austin) are sent to live with their aunt, which is just fine with the kids until they meet a stray dog who needs their help. Since their aunt is allergic to dogs, the siblings decide to turn a nearby abandoned house into a canine hostel. But can they kept their secret under wraps as more and more four-legged guests arrive?

Paul Blart: Mall Cop (I am a security guard, so this movie looks hilarious)

6281Mall-Cop.jpg

Director: Steve Carr
Stars: Kevin James, Keir O'Donnell (Full Cast)
Studio: Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE)
Trailer

The Plot: When a shopping mall is overtaken by a gang of organized crooks, it's up to the a mild-mannered security guard (James) to save the day.

Gran Torino (Get off mah lawn)

3804Gran-Torino.jpg

Director: Clint Eastwood
Stars: Clint Eastwood
Trailer & Review

The Plot: Disgruntled Korean War vet Walt Kowalski sets out to reform his neighbor, a young Hmong teenager, who tried to steal Kowalski's prized possession: his 1972 Gran Torino.

Last Chance Harvey

8267Harvey.jpg

Director: Joel Hopkins
Stars: Dustin Hoffman, Emma Thompson

Trailer & Review

Plot: In London for his daughter's wedding, a rumpled man finds his romantic spirits lifted by a new woman in his life.

The Week of January 23rd

Inkheart (Looks fun & Andy Serkis is amazing)

2975Inkheart.jpg

Director: Iain Softley
Stars: Brendan Fraser, Andy Serkis, Eliza Bennett
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Trailer & Review

The Plot: A little girl (Bennett) rallies her friends -- both real and imaginary -- to rescue her father (Fraser), a bookbinder who can bring characters to life by reading aloud, from the clutches of an evil-doer (Serkis).

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (Seems like it should be straight to DVD)

4414Underworld.jpg

Director: Patrick Tatopoulos
Stars: Rhona Mitra, Michael Sheen, Bill Nighy
Studio: Screen Gems
Trailer

The Plot: A look at how the werewolf named Lucian (Sheen) led an uprising against an aristocratic vampire sect -- a revolt that will mark the beginning of a centuries-old war between the two races.

Killshot (This movie has been slated for release 6 times over 3 years)

2808Killshot.jpg

Director: John Madden
Stars: Thomas Jane, Diane Lane, Mickey Rourke, Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Studio: The Weinstein Company
Trailer

The Plot: A botched scam sends an old-school hitman (Rourke) and a young stick-up kid (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) on a mission to find and kill an innocent couple (Jane and Lane) in order to protect their identities.

Donkey Punch -Limited Release- (Best title, or bestest title)

2835D-Punch.jpg

Director: Oliver Blackburn
Actors: Robert Boulter, Sian Breckin
Trailer & Review

Plot: Things go drastically wrong for a group of British holidaymakers in Spain.

The Week of January 30th

The Uninvited (This looks really bad)

9228Uninvited.jpg

Director: Charles Guard Thomas Guard
Stars: Emily Browning, Arielle Kebbel, Elizabeth Banks
Studio: DreamWorks SKG
Trailer

The Plot: After her mother's death and her subsequent hospital stay, Anna Rydell (Browning) returns home to be with her sister (Krebbel) and her father (Strathairn), who has become engaged to Rachel (Banks), her mother's former nurse. During her first night back, Anna is visited by her mother's ghost, who reveals that the new woman in her father's life is not who she pretends to be, leading to a fateful confrontation between the women of the house.

Taken (Liam Neeson looks so badass in this)

2526Taken.jpg

Director: Pierre Morel
Stars: Liam Neeson, Maggie Grace, Famke Janssen
Studio: Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation
Trailer & Review

The Plot: A former spy (Neeson) relies on his old skills to save his daughter (Grace), who was kidnapped by slave traders during her vacation in Paris.

New in Town (Eww, Zellweger...Yay, Fillion)

364NewTown.jpg

Director: Jonas Elmer
Stars: Renée Zellweger, Harry Connick Jr., Nathan Fillion
Studio: Gold Circle Films
Trailer

The Plot: A Miami-based consultant (Zellweger) is shipped out to small-town Minnesota for her newest project: supervising the restructuring of a local manufacturing plant. After a frosty reception, she warms to the townspeople (and vice versa), though a tough business mandate causes her to reconsider her personal and professional objectives.

Notable Movie News of December '08

Tron 2 gets a title and plot

Zombie to direct Halloween sequel

World War Z to start filming soon

Jurassic Park 4 isn't gonna happen

It seems Mickey Rourke doesn't want to be in Sin City 2

Cathrine Hardwicke fired from Twilight sequel

Kojima talks Metal Gear Solid - The Movie

The Crow nets itself a remake

Stephen Chow will not direct Green Hornet, hell, he may not even play Kato

Judge rules in Fox's favor over Watchmen lawsuit

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
TehSpectre on

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DVD Release Awareness - January '09

The Week of January 6th
    7936babylon.jpg

The Week of January 13th
    8550appa.jpg

The Week of January 20th
    6957saw.jpg

The Week of January 27th
    834lakeview.jpg

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I have another reason it looks like to not see a movie in theatres this month. Possibly Defiance, but probably not.

Also the security gaurd thing, I wish my job as a security gaurd had been that entertaining, my consisted of hanging out in the alley of a partially built apartment building in downtown Tacoma while watching crack heads periodically scale a car rentalot to shoot up. I also had a black guy strole up to my truck at three in the morning once under the presumption that I was a hooker, only to hightail it out of their when i found out I wasn't in fact a girl, I just had shaggy hair. Man good times.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I was looking at the list for January before, and I have to say, not much I plan on seeing this month. Hopefully Feb plays out a little better.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gran Torino looks like it may be the single greatest film ever made

You could say I am looking forward to it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Defiance looks amazing.

A bunch of awesome Jews kicking German ass? Fuck yeah. The only thing that could make the movie better is more beards.

Ethan Smith on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Gran Torino looks like it may be the single greatest film ever made

You could say I am looking forward to it

Really? The first time I saw the trailor for it, it just seemed like this faux at eastwood type films. Like its trying too hard to be "vintage" eastwood and instead just comes off as the lousy comeback.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gran Torino was good, not amazing.

Also, spectre, The Unborn looks scary? Are you a 13 year old girl? :P

security guard excitement...

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • StarStar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    13 Year old girl? No - he isn't.

Seriously though.

Fetus ghosts in general, are pretty scary.

Star on
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hope I get to see Gran Torino. The only other thing i have to say for this month is that the chick in The Unborn is smoking hot.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Star wrote: »
    This is making me laugh uncontrollably, but that might be because I'm tired and possibly sick.

I mean, disregarding the sheer, palpable terror of fetus ghosts, I guess I just can't watch trailers for big, modern horror movies without thinking about how they're all made for that intended audience. That, and seeing the same overdone scare techniques all the time has sucked all the scariness out of these movies for me.

Now, give me fetus zombies and we're talkin...

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What, no love for Bitch Slap? Supposedly it has a limited release date of Jan. 15.

Goofy exploitation/action movie with the casts of Xena and Hercules? Yes please.

Bitstream on
    edited January 2009
    Bitstream wrote: »
    What, no love for Bitch Slap? Supposedly it has a limited release date of Jan. 15.
    IMDB says nothing of the sort.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited January 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    Star wrote: »
    This is making me laugh uncontrollably, but that might be because I'm tired and possibly sick.

I mean, disregarding the sheer, palpable terror of fetus ghosts, I guess I just can't watch trailers for big, modern horror movies without thinking about how they're all made for that intended audience. That, and seeing the same overdone scare techniques all the time has sucked all the scariness out of these movies for me.

Now, give me fetus zombies and we're talkin...
    Which scare techniques are we talking here?

I don't believe I've ever seen a dog with an upside-down head before.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Go see Gran Torino, it's that good!

I may see the Underworld film if it has decent reviews. There really isn't any films I'm dying to see till Watchmen.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    gundam470 wrote: »
    I hope I get to see Gran Torino. The only other thing i have to say for this month is that the chick in The Unborn is smoking hot.

I agree on both points.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Don't forget that The Wrestler expands out from the limited release on every Friday this month. Happily it'll make it to my neck of the woods on the 9th

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This month will probably be catch up for me. The Wrestler and Revolutionary Road specifically.

thanimations on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My picks for this month are Defiance, Taken (maybe), and The Unborn (pending reviews).

The Unborn looks good* and I like David Goyer.

I'll probably check out Gran Torino on video. Actually, who am I kidding? I probably won't make it to the theater to see any of these.

* It should be noted that it is insanely easy to make a horror movie look good in a trailer. It's pretty damn hard to make a horror movie good.

Tomanta on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Good looks really... uh... good.

For some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, the premise reminds me of the movie {proof} with Gwenyth Paltrow, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Anthony Hopkins. I loved that movie and I thought it was underrated.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Paul Blart and the Unborn look awesome. Whether or not I go see it is another story.

urahonky on
  • DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I may go to see Good, but first I got to catch up.

The Wrestler, Revolutionary Road, The Reader (Isn't that suppose to be in here?) are ones I plan on seeing over the next few weeks

edit: nevermind, it had a limited release in early December

Doxa on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh wow. . .Donkey Punch.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've heard awesome things about Taken. Just wish it was earlier in the month. I'm probably going to check out defience as well.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The movie looks shitty, but damned if I don't love the poster for The Unborn. Eh? eH?

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Bitstream wrote: »
    IMDB says nothing of the sort.
    Huh, weird. I was going by the Flixter entry that first brought the movie to my attention. Are you saying my phone lied to me?!:P

I could have sworn I read a corroborating article about the LA-on-the-15th release, but I'm not seeing anything now. I am now officially sad.

And I don't care how ridiculous it looks or how bad the effects are, it's got Kevin Sorbo as a hitman and Lucy Lawless and Renee O'Connor as nuns. I... just can't argue with that.

Bitstream on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Wrestler is going into wide release this month. I cannot stress how much of a good movie this is.

Kyougu on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When the title of Donkey Punch came at the end of the trailer, everyone in the theater laughed. I don't think they tested that title on people.

Lux on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nocren wrote: »
    I've heard awesome things about Taken. Just wish it was earlier in the month. I'm probably going to check out defience as well.

This looks great, and Killshot is at the very least worth a watch (Levitt has been crazy good the last few years).

werehippy on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also, what the hell is going on with Donkey Punch? It's a really movie and it's actually called Donkey Punch? I'd have bet money it was some retarded comedy.

werehippy on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's nothing here that I really need to see in theaters, except maybe Taken.

I can wait for it all on DVD.

(I already saw Gran Torino, and it is awesome.)

tofu on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    Also, what the hell is going on with Donkey Punch? It's a really movie and it's actually called Donkey Punch? I'd have bet money it was some retarded comedy.

It's supposed to be scary. Young pretty girls get on yacht with young handsome boys and then they do drugs and party and one apparently dies via donkey punch. via donkey punch. And then the boys want to cover up the murder and the girls want to get away and then there's chasing and violence etc.

DONKEY PUNCH

I wonder if they got donkeypunch.com

Lux on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lux wrote: »
    werehippy wrote: »

It's supposed to be scary. Young pretty girls get on yacht with young handsome boys and then they do drugs and party and one apparently dies via donkey punch. via donkey punch. And then the boys want to cover up the murder and the girls want to get away and then there's chasing and violence etc.

DONKEY PUNCH

I wonder if they got donkeypunch.com

Really? I mean...really?

I mean maybe if it was a super-dark comedy like Very Bad Things, but come on.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    (I already saw Gran Torino, and it is awesome.)

Just saw this tonight and it is indeed awesome.

King Kong on
    edited January 2009
    TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited January 2009
    It seems that a horrible poster was released as well as that trailer:

735streetfighterposter.jpg

This movie is shaping up to be worse than the original Street Fighter.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Oh, I also saw The Spirit recently and enjoyed it a lot.

It's very tongue in cheek and an overall odd film.

Also, Sam Jackson is awesome throughout.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • JastJast Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm confused, didn't Taken come out last summer?

Jast on
    Jast39.png
    edited January 2009
    Jast wrote: »
    I'm confused, didn't Taken come out last summer?
    It has come out everywhere else (basically) aside from the US.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    It seems that a horrible poster was released as well as that trailer:

735streetfighterposter.jpg

This movie is shaping up to be worse than the original Street Fighter.

The original Street Fighter is a goddamn masterpiece.

Bloods End on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think The Reader may have come out earlier in the US than it did over here, but here's an interesting review.

BobCesca on