As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Psycho Mantis, GCN, Wavebird only. Can it be done?

AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
(Yes I've tried GameFAQs already.)

So I'm playing Metal Gear Solid for the first time ever. I know, I gotta get with the times huh? Anyway I seem to be stuck on Psycho Mantis. I'm told I need to move my controller from port 1 to any other port and then I'll actually be able to hit him. Problem is, it doesn't fucking work.

A little background; I'm playing the Gamecube version (The Twin Snakes) and I'm using a Wavebird. I don't own any wired controllers. I couldn't ever imagine a world where I'd need them. I've tried moving the receiver from port one to various other ports, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I can get in maybe one hit for every 20 shots.

Is this a wavebird compatibility thing or do I just suck? I notice that Snake never auto-targets Mantis. Should I be aiming at something else? I've tried aiming in first person, but after a second or two it switches to Mantis' view.

Has anyone else ever beaten Mantis with a Wavebird? I've also heard that this statue head shooting thing doesn't work in the GCN version. Does anyone know anything about that?

SpidermanSig.jpg
AlienCowThatMoos on

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I've done it with a wavebird. You just need to move the receiver. After awhile you'll need to move it again.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    agoaj wrote: »
    Yeah, I've done it with a wavebird. You just need to move the receiver. After awhile you'll need to move it again.

Ah, it does seem to work. I have to hold the button and spin until the laser is touching him and seemingly only in between attacks. I think it's the fact that he continues to brag about reading your mind when you miss that threw me. Please let the thread die or discuss MGS as you see fit.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    WillybubbaWillybubba Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I though it was kinda funny when he told me he could move the controller with his mind and then told me to put it on the ground. Wavebirds don't rumble, fool.

Willybubba on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You're doing it wrong. Punch the shit out of that mother fucker and he will die very quickly.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you borrowed three extra Wavebird receivers from friends and set them all to the same frequency, I'm thinking that would work without you ever having to switch ports.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I know you said various other ports, but just wanted to confirm that they did take advantage of the GC's 4 ports and have you switch it through each of them throughout the fight. Also you may need to actually call the colonel to make the switching work right, rather than being psychic yourself due to having played it before.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    A lot of people forget tat you can use the thermal goggles to see him when he turns invisible. This works on the PS1 version, I haven't played TTS yet.

Einhander on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You can kill him with the first player controller without having it in the second player port. My friend proceded to do this twice without realizing you were supposed to switch the port for your controller. Just man up.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you move it to port 4 the first time, you'll never have to move it again.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    You just have to learn to aim in his direction in third person, he goes to the same spots. They intentionally were dicks with the first person thing.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    You just have to learn to aim in his direction in third person, he goes to the same spots. They intentionally were dicks with the first person thing.

Yah, I beat him and the rest of the game last night. It's not just the first person thing, it's also the first place in the game where Snake doesn't automatically point himself at the enemy when you pull a gun in third person. Nothing like the pressure of imminent death to make you learn fast. :lol:

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You can kill him with the first player controller without having it in the second player port. My friend proceded to do this twice without realizing you were supposed to switch the port for your controller. Just man up.

I did it twice too. I hate myself.

Couscous on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh god you poor bastards.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる