As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can the public have a stake in popular, privately owned things?

12346»

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I'm not convinced. If a non-cable network went crazy and wanted to air a Betty Boop cartoon, stereotypes and all, there's got to be some kind of emergency plan on paper the FCC might use to force the network to cooperate.
    Why you think this despite any evidence to the contrary is beyond me.

The FCC's reason for being isn't to say NO! to anything it finds unsuitable for broadcast?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm not convinced. If a non-cable network went crazy and wanted to air a Betty Boop cartoon, stereotypes and all, there's got to be some kind of emergency plan on paper the FCC might use to force the network to cooperate.

The FCC's reason for being isn't to say NO! to anything it finds unsuitable for broadcast?
    It would depend entirely on the context and the time it aired. There's a reason the TV MA rating exists. The FCC exists, unfortunately, to determine when things are acceptable to air, not what cultural icons must be preserved for emnmnme to feel good about himself.

Quid on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    @Pro: Also, Speedy Gonzalez was only taken of Cartoon Network for a few years until The League of United Latin American Citizens lobbied them to start airing it again.

Really? Yay LULAC!

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009

It would depend entirely on the context and the time it aired. There's a reason the TV MA rating exists. The FCC exists, unfortunately, to determine when things are acceptable to air, not what cultural icons must be preserved for emnmnme to feel good about himself.

Yeah, once again the FCC has absolutely no place in this discussion.

ViolentChemistry on