As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Free Trials, ask for one in the thread.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is there a reason Destro always seems to dominate Temple of Isha?

I mean I haven't played it a ton but it always seems like a blowout by Destro. We always seem to wipe out Order when I'm playing destro on Monolith too but I can't see any definate reason why.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Does anyone have any free trials available still? If so I'd like one. I'm tired of WoW and think I need something else, but I don't want to shell out $50 to start a new game that I might not like. PM me if you have one and I'll reply with my email address.

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I mean I haven't played it a ton but it always seems like a blowout by Destro. We always seem to wipe out Order when I'm playing destro on Monolith too but I can't see any definate reason why.

This must be a server thing.

I played that map more than 22 times on my SH (I started keeping track because the losing streak was so bad) and I have never, ever won it. I've never even seen it close; it's a big "HEY RDPS FUK U" as far as the layout goes. And usually what happens on Sylvania is that order gets to the flag first, and destro hands them kills for the next 10ish minutes in a feeble attempt to dislodge them before it ends, 500 to 34.

I just stopped queuing for it.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Can someone send me a trial? Likely I may buy as I need something to dink around with at school between classes.

<3!

Vahraan on
    PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

My experience with Temple Of Isha was that the first team to claim the flag wins. There were some very rare and exciting exceptions, but they didn't exactly prove the rule.

It is a map that favors melee+healer teams, which I've always seen more of from Order (a scenario team of equal parts Ironbreakers, Warrior Priests and Runepriests can pretty much steamroll anything), but Destro on your server might be going through a tank/healer alt phase.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Isn't it pretty?

bivwip.jpg

EDIT: I am the only person in my guild who has logged in for more than a week, now. Ugh. And you can't transfer from Sylvania. I'm stuck!

s3rial one on
  • Options
    DotDotDashDotDotDash Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So Destro just won a Mourk's temple. I was on my chosen and I was alive for most of the match. I did 27k damage, died twice, got 3 killing blows. All in all I formed the line since the only other tank was some worthless BG. I was involved in 20 kills.

I got 156 renown. not even HALF of what order, or anyone else, on my team got.

What the hell. An order healer got 500, most of order DPS got 350. wtf.

Tanks get seriously shafted on scenario renown. Actually, they get shafted on just about any contribution calcs. Keep contributions (if you don't cheese them and come in at the last minute), PQ contributions, and everything else. It looks like all the calcs are based off of a combination of damage given and damage healed.

Why do you think all the tanks are shitty tanks? The best way to get renown in scenarios is to go 2 handed and smack crap around. Not actually, you know, doing what makes a tank useful.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

I was under the impression the renonwn you earn is directly proportional to the renown level of your targets. As such, unless the person you are comparing to is the same renown level as you and hit exactly the same kills as you did then a comparison is no use?

You may be getting less renown than Order because the respective Order characters are lower renown than you are - that type of thing.

DotDotDash on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That is what you get for not playing with PA.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Accualt wrote: »
    That is what you get for not playing with PA.

Hey dude, blame Nel. He put me up to it! I accept no responsibility!
    It's totally my fault.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2009
    Why would anyone listen to Nel? I think he tells small children that stone tanks are fun to play.

A duck! on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would really like a trial of this game if there are still any about.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you are talking about stone tanks in CoX I am taking offense to that. My first character was The Mighty StoneSmith!

God I loved tanking in that game. I don't know why I bothered with DPS/healers in this game. My chosen is sittin pretty at level 21 now, and Im going to make a push for at least 32. But I know the tons of CC in t4 will probably make me hate life and the only good sc in t3 that gets played is TA and I will probably hate my life after a dozen of those.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PaperPlatePaperPlate Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    phekno wrote: »
    Does anyone have any free trials available still? If so I'd like one. I'm tired of WoW and think I need something else, but I don't want to shell out $50 to start a new game that I might not like. PM me if you have one and I'll reply with my email address.

Best Buy has it on sale this week for $30; in store and online. Someone should be able to hook you up with a trial and if you like it grab it before the end of the week!

PaperPlate on
    Minecraft: PAPRPL8
    League of Legends (your friendly neighborhood support): PAPRPL8
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lawndart wrote: »

My experience with Temple Of Isha was that the first team to claim the flag wins. There were some very rare and exciting exceptions, but they didn't exactly prove the rule.

It is a map that favors melee+healer teams, which I've always seen more of from Order (a scenario team of equal parts Ironbreakers, Warrior Priests and Runepriests can pretty much steamroll anything), but Destro on your server might be going through a tank/healer alt phase.

I play order on Badlands, I've played Temple of Isha numerous times and I've only won the thing twice. I don't know about any other servers, but on Badlands, destro still seems to be having their creepy love affair with blackguards and they have shamans everywhere while order loves their squishies and seems to have almost completely lost interesting in knobs.

It's a pretty crappy situation for order. I've really started thinking about giving up on everything but Tor Anroc because it seems like it's the only t3 scenario order ever really stands a chance in.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Just out of curiosity, what would the Candymancers find more useful right now, a WP or an IB?

I've got both. I love playing both. I'm just not sure what to focus on first, so I might as well do the one that'd be more useful.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what would the Candymancers find more useful right now, a WP or an IB?

I've got both. I love playing both. I'm just not sure what to focus on first, so I might as well do the one that'd be more useful.

Whatever you want to play. I don't think any of us are too worried about your preferences.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

Whatever you want to play. I don't think any of us are too worried about your preferences.

...that wasn't the point at all. :|

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

...that wasn't the point at all. :|

Okay, let's see...

Iron Priest. Seriously, we could use either, especially in the tiers below 4. There's a lack of healing and tanks. But what we have of both is excellent!

Especially that Epoxi guy.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    CleveraliasCleveralias Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is really frustrating I've spent the last few days grinding ogres/gnols to get the caches and I've finished the event earning the Keg Slayer title yet I still haven't maxed the inf bar to get the elite reward or picked up a backpack . Do you think I'm better of grinding Snotlings or Keg caches to try to get it>?

Cleveralias on
    jpg.jpg
    XBox360/One/Steam - Cleveralias
    PSN - The_Vandingo
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    This is really frustrating I've spent the last few days grinding ogres/gnols to get the caches and I've finished the event earning the Keg Slayer title yet I still haven't maxed the inf bar to get the elite reward or picked up a backpack . Do you think I'm better of grinding Snotlings or Keg caches to try to get it>?

I don't know, I was just running around doing quests between scenarios and killed a random snottling I stumbled across and it dropped a backpack.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I got the backpack within 30 minutes from when I started killing guys, and I only renewed my subscription today... >_>

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    CleveraliasCleveralias Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So is it only snotlings that drop the backpack? Maybe thats my problem...

Cleveralias on
    jpg.jpg
    XBox360/One/Steam - Cleveralias
    PSN - The_Vandingo
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Going by WarDB, the backpack is pretty damn rare.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I grinded for three days to get my first. Then a week and a half later my girlfriend was randomly killing two snots on her way to a quest and it dropped. Then I got on and killed two snots and it dropped. Before I got my first pack I had almost 2000 snotling kills.

Just find a place where snotligns respawn fast and take them out. I used the area south of the first dark crag questing area.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So is it only snotlings that drop the backpack? Maybe thats my problem...

No I got it from a Gnoblar.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I play order on Badlands, I've played Temple of Isha numerous times and I've only won the thing twice. I don't know about any other servers, but on Badlands, destro still seems to be having their creepy love affair with blackguards and they have shamans everywhere while order loves their squishies and seems to have almost completely lost interesting in knobs.

It's a pretty crappy situation for order. I've really started thinking about giving up on everything but Tor Anroc because it seems like it's the only t3 scenario order ever really stands a chance in.

I'm so proud of us. We almost saved an Isha tonight. Started off with the normal beating for awhile but then we sent one guy in the front which pulled theit tanks/MDPS out of position, the rest came in from the side and focus fired their healer and by the time everything else was dead our Warrior Priest was still alive to do rezzes. We then held it until the end but unfortunately couldn't get ahead in points before the timer was up due to them grabbing the orb over and over.

Of course it was like 7v7 the whole time and that Shaman was their only healer but still, happiness.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Too late for free trials for me...uh...already subscribed.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wallhitter wrote: »
    Too late for free trials for me...uh...already subscribed.

You know that you could have asked for a free trial and then subscribed so that one of us would have gotten a free 30 days out of it. =/

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    But he's under no obligation to do so.

Accualt on
  • Options
    SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I'm so proud of us. We almost saved an Isha tonight. Started off with the normal beating for awhile but then we sent one guy in the front which pulled theit tanks/MDPS out of position, the rest came in from the side and focus fired their healer and by the time everything else was dead our Warrior Priest was still alive to do rezzes. We then held it until the end but unfortunately couldn't get ahead in points before the timer was up due to them grabbing the orb over and over.

Of course it was like 7v7 the whole time and that Shaman was their only healer but still, happiness.

I don't actually hate Isha that much. Once, I even saw if flipped from Order -> Destro and then flipped back again after a few minutes. I almost passed out from shock. Apparently I have won the Isha lottery though, since I seem to win and lose in roughly equal proportions. The only problem is, that even if you do flip control usually it is too late. The point gain on Isha is already tight, so if you don't gain control by about 8 minutes in, you are SOL on winning.

Blackfire Pass on the other hand...and Tablarec Dam...

Saammiel on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I never queue for Blackfire Pass. Every so often we might see a fluke in Phoenix Gate where one team actually pulls out with 200 points or more, but I've very rarely seen anything more than a slight kill fest in the CTF maps since in most cases, neither team can pull off more than 1 or maybe 2 flag captures.

Talabec Dam and the other bombing run maps are interesting. The 90 second detonation time makes things move quickly or end abruptly. I usually enjoyed these. Both teams usually got points here.

I never enjoyed Isha much because as mentioned above, usually the first team to cap the point will win. I usually watched destro rush in small little groups when we lost the point, giving plenty of free renown to order and frustration to destro. However, coordinated flanking on that map tends to work out well. Have most of your team on your side cliff to taunt the folks in the center, then rush at the same time you have a small ganking squad on their side cliff hide and rush in to nab their healers and casters.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I wish Wardb or Warhammeronline.com would put up a faq for the scenarios, for at least t1-3(Edit: You know what would be better? If they had the FAQ on the loading screen to the SC.). It is just horrifying to play SCs and see people make the most ridiculous choices. In Norden, every time, destro pushes to LH, leaving fort and barracks undefended. Why? Because they claim they can get more kills. But its EASIER and as fast to get kills by staying at fort/racks and letting them zerg into you one at a time.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I loved Nordenwatch. If we lost the initial fight for the fortress to destro (which we often would) the group I'm queing with would just go snag the barracks and then slaughter the small group of destro that comes to investigate. By this time the zerg is pushing the fortress hard, and they're retreating into us already damaged. Then we'd let the zerg set up shop at the barracks and our little group would keep and eye out for any Destro trying to flank us and pick them off.

When we managed to wipe Destro out at the fortress from the get go, it was actually kind of boring. At least in those cases it's generally over quickly though.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, I am actually kind of glad I decided to try WAR again, up to level 12 on my Blackguard and its quite fun.

The quests are a little lame, but it seems to be going quickly. Shadowlands pretty much sucks though, lots of running to kill 5 things and run back.

Also...is it just me or do BG's look pretty lame in T1 and T2? I like their final armor but sheesh I look nothing like an avatar of destruction.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, I am actually kind of glad I decided to try WAR again, up to level 12 on my Blackguard and its quite fun.

The quests are a little lame, but it seems to be going quickly. Shadowlands pretty much sucks though, lots of running to kill 5 things and run back.

Also...is it just me or do BG's look pretty lame in T1 and T2? I like their final armor but sheesh I look nothing like an avatar of destruction.

It gets better, definitely. My main complaint with BG gear is that the itemization is wonky, even on the influence rewards? No good shield reward til late 20s, and willpower on the gear? Really?

Edit: 100 Pages? Can we get a new Topic anyone? Bueller? ...Bueller?

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I think the whole DEvHE pairing is pretty full of blow. I use them as leftover leveling areas. You should do yourself a favor and head to EvC or DvG

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, I've given it some thought and I plan to let my sub lapse on the 17th, give them a few months to iron out the zone crashing, and then come back. Most of the time I've been on, there's somewhere between 0-7 guys out of our hundreds on, and hopefully the rest of Destro will learn how to....not suck I guess? Plus it will allow me time to go through my backlog, and get a few more games I've been on the fence about.

I look forward to crushing Order with you all once the zone crashing is resolved. =)

EDIT I just logged in to burn up all my rested XP and they tore the servers down for emergency maintenance. =P

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

They also play nothing like one.
    :cry:

Sunday I had wonderful ORvR experiences of wonderfulness! The wife and I were playing our Shaman/BG duo and all of t2 Chaos was controlled by Order. I didn't feel like doing quests so I threw together a group to see about taking BOs. It didn't take long before we had enough to take keeps so weeeee, off we went. Rolled everything in Chaos then headed for Elf lands.

We took the North Pointy Ear keep about the same time Order took the South. Destro smelled blood, we just had to hunt down Order to take it. We ended up standing guard at the only south battlefield objective in the south those monotheistic fools didn't control. After waiting for what seemed like far too long Order shows up and we meet them halfway down a hill. We made it clear if we were going to kill them the BO guards were not going to be the reason. It was a nice little 7 minute battle, good back and forth before we completely ran them off. Being a Blackguard Order thought they could kill me with ease, what they didn't realize is I had TSM backup from Sayer, Kendrek, and my wife...plus I'm toughness/wounds. Of course being a BG they DID kill me once.

Now the warband is getting excited, thinking we are going to have some real RvR against a full warband of Order. We head to the southern keep, expecting stiff defense. It wasn't stiff, it was limp with just a few Order stragglers. The mighty Order warband had clearly moved on. So we busted down the door, killed the lord, and headed for the land of orks.

When we got to MoM there was another Destro warband, maybe three groups at the most. No Order so we took everything before heading to BV. Now BV, that was good times. We try banging on the door but a few Bright Wizards and someone manning the oil is making it difficult. It felt like it took 20minutes to knock that damn door down and once we did, "oh hello there full Order warband." The combination of oil and broken line of sight when melee rushed inside let Order clean us up. We (sort of) regroup and I get worried because a number of people were running off on their own instead of sticking together. Never a good sign. We have a little bit of fighting outside the keep before Order pulls back inside. This results in 10 minutes of melee blocking the door and our guys getting killed and rezzed. Eventually we TSMers manage to convince the mob to pull away from the door, regroup, and then rush the entrance together with tanks in front. Leading the charge as a BG really makes you wish you were a Blorc or a Chosen or really any tank other than a Swordmaster. I didn't die but I came incredibly close, if it wasn't for my wife playing Giblit in the same room as me I'd have been dead 18 times over.

After flooding into the first floor we manage to kill just a few Order while the majority retreated to the lord room. Some of our fellow Destro ran up the stairs after them but we TSMers somehow convinced everyone to rez, heal, and form up on the first floor. I was amazed these people were following directions, though I'm sure it helped that Ken and I were repeating ourselves aplenty. We got tanks in front and told them to pop Hold the Line and charge up when the command was given. Everyone else was suppose to follow and slaughter healers, then casters, then tanks before going after the Keep Lord. When I /say CHARGE! it was beautiful seeing that many Destro players move as one. We lost a lot of people in the charge (I died myself but not before killing a Runepriest). Our healers were on top of things, though, and rezzed as fast as they could. Even better Destro didn't linger on the stairs! We slaughtered all of Order and their Lord. It felt good, we'd flipped 6 keeps, including one that was heavily defended by a force almost as large as our own.

Order didn't show back up, though, and I hate keep flipping so we TSMers killed Ogre Tyrents while waiting on scenario pops. This was also good times. :^:

Accualt on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TSM was looking pretty good last night. We had more players on than I've seen in a bit, including some names I haven't seen in a bit. I think we had over fifteen players online across all the level ranges. I think now that the holidays are over, we'll be seeing a lot more people getting back into it.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So wait, BG's aren't ass kickers? I was hoping to be a high durability face smasher....

Anon the Felon on
This discussion has been closed.