As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moment of the Year 2008

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You could make that "morphogenic field" idea less stupid by just saying that

"well, we draw from certain sources to perform what amount to miracles, they tend to tell us to go suck a dick if we ask them to make us toast in the morning. If something has been created by science, these sources figure that we can handle that ourselves and they'll stick to generating mystical crimson bands when we need them"

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The only rule you need is that every magical act requires a comparable amount of exertion and that overexerting yourself kills you.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Maybe they do need to explain magic.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Magic is so good in a restricted setting. Like Nico from the Runaways.

This made me think. I want to see a what if? where Nico says No More Mutants to see what happens.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    John the SkrullJohn the Skrull Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Magic is so good in a restricted setting. Like Nico from the Runaways.

This made me think. I want to see a what if? where Nico says No More Mutants to see what happens.

Molly would be pissed.

John the Skrull on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Really, I always figured Dr Strange could do anything that looked cool while allowing for him to be in peril for the sake of story.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    take magic to a different thread now

discuss how awesome bucky was in 2008 in this thread

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bucky was pretty god damn awesome this year

all banging Black Widow and being Captain America

but mostly banging Black Window

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    seriously, if every transition between iterations of a hero were done as well as that, i'd want new versions of heroes every like five years.

plus, red skull wins for one of the best and most terrifying evil plans i've ever read.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Marvel doesn't seem very keen on having legacy characters unless the older versions were lame.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a weakness for legacy heroes, and it's one area that DC does very well in my opinion, and that Marvel seems to almost completely ignore. Of course that may be because I read JSA, which is full of legacy heroes, and not The Flash, which from the comments here seems to be troubled by switching main characters when one "isn't working".

At it's best, X-Men captures a JSA vibe, with the older heroes guiding the newer ones. It's why I enjoyed New X-Men so much, and why Armor became a favourite of mine in Astonishing. I know it raises issues, like favourite characters becoming ageless when the younger characters around them grow up, but I would like to see Marvel exploring the idea of heroes passing their roles on just a bit more.

Of course I demand that any and all comics doing this be written by Ed Brubaker and/or Matt Fraction. Well, maybe Paul Cornell. If it's a British hero.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    seriously, if every transition between iterations of a hero were done as well as that, i'd want new versions of heroes every like five years.

I really have to applaud Brubaker for such a great transition, and Marvel for staying hands-off enough to let him do it his way.

I think the fact that Marvel has few legacy heroes makes the passing of the mantle all the more special. Over in the DCU, every chucklehead that wore a costume for a few months has had three different guys, two women, and one transvestite street take their name.

Munch on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Servo wrote: »

I really have to applaud Brubaker for such a great transition, and Marvel for staying hands-off enough to let him do it his way.

I think the fact that Marvel has few legacy heroes makes the passing of the mantle all the more special. Over in the DCU, every chucklehead that wore a costume for a few months has had three different guys, two women, and one transvestite street take their name.

Don't forget to mention the kid versions and polar opposite characters.

In all honesty, I think the Captain Bucky transition is probably the best hero legacy that's ever been written.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Now if only we could get people to start referring to Captain America as Captain America more often instead of just "Bucky, Captain Bucky, Bucky America, Bucky Cap" or any variation thereof.

I don't know why it annoys me but it kind of does.

When Rogers comes back to rain/whiz on all the fun this book has been having, I think I'm just going to start calling him "Captain Steve" and "Stevey Cap".

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Now if only we could get people to start referring to Captain America as Captain America more often instead of just "Bucky, Captain Bucky, Bucky America, Bucky Cap" or any variation thereof.

When Rogers comes back to rain/whiz on all the fun this book has been having, I think I'm just going to start calling him "Captain Steve" and "Stevey Cap".

I call him Captain Bucky for clarity. Steve Rogers is still Captain America in a lot of people's minds. He's still also Cap in the Ultimate universe. Its just easier to refer to the new Captain America as Captain Bucky, cause then everyone knows immediately who I'm talking about.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    At least nobody's expressing their distaste by calling him Craptain America.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    We fed those people to the Blob.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Marvel doesn't seem very keen on having legacy characters unless the older versions were lame.

are you saying steve rogers was lame because I think that's the implication here

also aren't they replacing the black panther? checkmate

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Psylocke is still dead right?
    nope!

but she might as well be

Fuck you. She'll be in Uncanny by summer.

I am not saying she's terrible.

I'm just saying everything she's been in in the past like 8 years has been awful.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    nope!

but she might as well be

I'm just saying everything she's been in in the past like 8 years has been awful.

Wasn't she in a decent Exiles or New Excalibur story or soemthing? I can't remember, but I seem to recall a decent story with her.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    that is a trick question

there are no decent new excalibur stories, and there certainly aren't any decent exiles stories with psylocke in them

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I... I didn't hate some of New Excal... Don't remember which part, but I remember no physical illness or mental depression after some part.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    edited January 2009

are you saying steve rogers was lame because I think that's the implication here

I was generalizing. Also, hasn't T'Challa stepped down from being BP once before? And there's been a couple other Captain Americas and two Thors, plus Thor Girl, She-Hulk, the multiple Spidey also-rans, Captain Marvel 1-3, Quasar, etc. You should take issue with those as well.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I was generalizing. Also, hasn't T'Challa stepped down from being BP once before? And there's been a couple other Captain Americas and two Thors, plus Thor Girl, She-Hulk, the multiple Spidey also-rans, Captain Marvel 1-3, Quasar, etc. You should take issue with those as well.

And don't forget this Doctor Strange business that may or may not be going down. I think it makes sense for them to replace a character that dies, but not to replace a character that just steps down.

Smurph on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    nope!

but she might as well be

Wasn't she in a decent Exiles or New Excalibur story or soemthing? I can't remember, but I seem to recall a decent story with her.

Exiles turned to crap well before she joined it, and she was only in Excalibur long enough for the crap storyline that put her and Sage into Exiles.

As for legacy characters, I like them - as long as the original who died or retired stays dead or retired. Blue Beetle = good, JSA = bad.

Scooter on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That does depend, though; I must say I quite like Jay Garrick as 'Elder Statesman' Flash, for example.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Smurph wrote: »

And don't forget this Doctor Strange business that may or may not be going down. I think it makes sense for them to replace a character that dies, but not to replace a character that just steps down.

The Sorcerer Supreme is a title. The new person isn't going to be called Dr. Strange.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I was generalizing. Also, hasn't T'Challa stepped down from being BP once before? And there's been a couple other Captain Americas and two Thors, plus Thor Girl,

Thunderstrike.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2009

uh, I said checkmate

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2009

uh, I said checkmate

WOO HAH WOO HAH

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I was generalizing. Also, hasn't T'Challa stepped down from being BP once before? And there's been a couple other Captain Americas and two Thors, plus Thor Girl,

Thunderstrike.

Thunderstrike was awesome, his hammer was triangular. That's gotta hurt way more than being hit with a rectangular hammer!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

I call him Captain Bucky for clarity. Steve Rogers is still Captain America in a lot of people's minds. He's still also Cap in the Ultimate universe. Its just easier to refer to the new Captain America as Captain Bucky, cause then everyone knows immediately who I'm talking about.

And to be fair, Bucky refers to himself as Bucky or Buck when he does those internal commentaries of his. It'll take a while to think of him as the only Captain America. Steve was a huge hero. He cast a big shadow. That's not a bad thing.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Buck is his name.

It's not like Steve called himself Cap.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh lord...for some reason that puts the Kill Bill Vol. 1 scene "My name is Buck and I like to..." in my head. And of course now I'm super imposing Bucky over the actor himself D:

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If you watched Kill Bill on TNT, you'd remember the line as, "My name's Buck and I like to Party."

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Speaking of the good ole Doc Strange
    Isn't Wanda supposed to be the next Sorcerer Supreme? Since she's nowhere to be found living a peaceful life not even knowing she has powers then WHOOPS forming the Mighty Avengers.

Because even though it makes no sense, I can accept that.

Who better to monitor all magical realms then someone who can just straight up CHANGE them if bad shit is going down.

Transporter on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wouldn't it be better to wait until after reading the story before announcing that it makes no sense?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Keith wrote: »

uh, I said checkmate

WOO HAH WOO HAH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YYMw1_FZL8

valiance on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

uh, I said checkmate

I know but I ignored it because your opinion is wrong and we're not even playing chess anyway.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    kingkhankingkhan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I see all you guys talking about every comic released this year as though you've read them all. How do I keep up with comics like this, and find out what I want to buy out of it all, without going broke? I'm starting to think you're all just elitist bastards.

<3

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]