As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey, jerks. Mind if I watch you two jerks do your jerkbending?

The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, OmeganautRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited August 2009 in Social Entropy++
Ah yes, Avatar.

Though the show may be over, it lives on in my heart and on my DVDs.

Let's talk about one of the greatest cartoons ever produced.

Everything about this show was near-flawless in execution.

Toph is pretty much the best.

She's also blind.

BLM - ACAB
The Geek on

• GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Can't wait for the movie.

Graves on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Graves wrote: »

I'm keeping my expectations very, very low.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    While the show was far from perfect in my opinion, it was a tremendous leap for western animation in terms of storytelling and I can't wait to see what else these guys have in store for us regarding future series, as well as the animation front on the whole.

Godfather on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Geek wrote: »

I'm keeping my expectations very, very low.

What, you don't think an ensemble of extremely-white children can pull it off?

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited January 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited January 2009

isn't james cameron directing that

also isn't sigourney weaver in it too

Nope, that's another mov ie by a similar name.

Avatar (renamed The Last Airbender) is directed by M. Night Shymalan.

Goatmon on

• McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So this show is pretty good, huh?

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oh man the movie is going to be so terrible

also I rewatched season two the other day and it was so good

Centipede Damascus on
    edited January 2009
    McCly wrote: »

It's hard for a lot of people to get past the anime-look, but it's got the best choreography/storytelling/music/voice acting I've seen in any western cartoon.

Season one has some good episodes, but is kind of weak. Especially compared to two and three, but it's all worth watching.

Goatmon on

edited January 2009
    I always avoided it because I thought the bald kid looked dumb, but I'm down to give it a shot.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
    edited January 2009

It has great art, wonderful animation, and superb writing. The show was a planned story from start to end, so they told it how they wanted it, instead of just dragging it on or getting canceled before the story was done.

And the main cast were amazingly good voice actors for being relatively inexperienced at first. Though I suppose the voice director, Andrea Romano, is quite a bit responsible for that as well.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited January 2009
    I always avoided it because I thought the bald kid looked dumb, but I'm down to give it a shot.

Yeah you're not the only one.

I still don't like the character design for Aang, but the show is good so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Godfather on
    edited January 2009

Netflix is your friend, McCly. Also I think Nickelodeon has some of the episodes on turbonick.

Goatmon on

• crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    goodbye space sword :(

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The show was amazing. Iroh's story in Tales of Ba Sing Se was one of the most emotional moments for me

Some of the people who worked on the show also worked on King of the Hill, which is such a different show that it borders on hilarious

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
    edited January 2009

It has great art, wonderful animation, and superb writing. The show was a planned story from start to end, so they told it how they wanted it, instead of just dragging it on or getting canceled before the story was done.

And the main cast were amazingly good voice actors for being relatively inexperienced at first. Though I suppose the voice director, Andrea Romano, is quite a bit responsible for that as well.

Definitely. The voice actors did an excellent job

One big plus in the show is how naturally the characters behave and interact; throughout the story all of the characters have their share of mistakes and personal problems in a way that isn't always just trying to serve some major plot device.

It's also pretty cool that they hired a martial arts expert to help the animation team with the fighting choreography.

Goatmon on

edited January 2009
    Fiz wrote: »
    The show was amazing. Iroh's story in Tales of Ba Sing Se was one of the most emotional moments for me

Some of the people who worked on the show also worked on King of the Hill, which is such a different show that it borders on hilarious

The creators (or at least one of them) worked on Invader Zim for a while.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited January 2009

Well I can see that. They're pretty much the same show
    I hope you didn't wake Joxer up by screaming at that

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
    edited January 2009

Well I can see that. They're pretty much the same show
    I hope you didn't wake Joxer up by screaming at that

There's actually a pretty obscure reference to Zim, apparently. In the commentary for an episode, one of them said that the hobo-looking dude who was sucking on an ear of corn on the Earth Kindom monorail-thingy was supposed to be a reference to a hobo who carried around an ear of corn in a later episode of Zim.

Zim has some goddamned amazing animation, by the way.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I wouldn't be surprised if many American animated shows were made by the same people
    It's a dying art

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited January 2009
    Goatmon wrote: »

Netflix is your friend, McCly. Also I think Nickelodeon has some of the episodes on turbonick.
    Too bad my Netflix account is "one-at-a-time." I might just buy them.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
    edited January 2009

Too bad my Netflix account is "one-at-a-time." I might just buy them.

They are spendy. I fully believe they are worth it, but just wanted to give you the heads up.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited January 2009
    BusterK wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if many American animated shows were made by the same people
    It's a dying art

Genndy Tartakovsky is probably the best man Cartoon Network ever had.

Goatmon on

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How old are all of you? I tried watching it because of how many praised it but it just seemed to be way too much of a kids show to sit through. I know it's a kids show but a lot of kids shows are still funny to adults.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    edited January 2009
    It's a dying art

Timm and Dini are up there. The DCAU is amazing.

McCracken deserves credit as well. PPG is tons of fun and Foster's is brilliant.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited January 2009
    Doodmann wrote: »
    How old are all of you? I tried watching it because of how many praised it but it just seemed to be way too much of a kids show to sit through. I know it's a kids show but a lot of kids shows are still funny to adults.

I just turned 29 a few days ago.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    god damn it

this is another series I have to buy

I just dropped $80 on the bluray set of Band Of Brothers

#pipe on
    edited January 2009
    doodman wrote:

I'd have to ask what exactly you were seeing.

Season one was defnitely more childish and less serious (For the most part) than two or three.

Also I am almost 26.

Goatmon on

edited January 2009
    I'm 25. If you sit down and watch one episode at random you probably aren't going to see some life-changing event. There's a lot of time that is spent on the actual journey, and the main characters are all kids so the way they handle things is often childish.

When the show was first going to come on the air I practically begged some of my friends to give it a few weeks to really give the show a chance. They were sold by the time the cast reached the Southern Air Temple

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Well than I don't get it. Maybe I'll give it a few more episodes because I pretty much love all the other cartoons you just mentioned.

also no harsh feelings on the age stuff it's just hard to tell around here.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    edited January 2009
    It's a dying art

Whatever happened to ol' Genndy?

I remember the days when he basically owned the entire cartoon cartoon fridays lineup. The fact that he had full control of Samurai Jack showcased how much power he had on Cartoon Network.

After the Clone Wars cartoon, he just dropped off the face of the planet. Haven't seen anything from him since then.

Godfather on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, the show does grow on you
    A lot of the best parts of the show come from knowing the characters and seeing how they react in their own way to situations

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited January 2009
    It's a dying art

McCracken deserves credit as well. PPG is tons of fun and Foster's is brilliant.

No doubt. Also, Tartakovsky had a big hand in PPG as well, on all four fronts; producer, writer, director, and animator.

Goatmon on

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    It's a dying art

I remember the days when he basically owned the entire cartoon cartoon fridays lineup. The fact that he had full control of Samurai Jack showcased how much power he had on Cartoon Network.

After the Clone Wars cartoon, he just dropped off the face of the planet. Haven't seen anything from him since then.

he's working on a movie I think?

kaleedity on
    edited January 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    It's a dying art

He's currently storyboarding Iron Man 2, and a Samurai Jack animated film is on the horizon.

The man's keeping busy.

Goatmon on

edited January 2009
    It's a dying art

No doubt. Also, Tartakovsky had a big hand in PPG as well, on all four fronts; producer, writer, director, and animator.

Well I would hope Genndy had a big hand in PPG; It was his own series after all.

Godfather on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was pretty much hooked on this by the episode where Bumi was introduced. I think I started watching it between seasons 2 and 3, or maybe 3 had started already.

But hell, by the time you get to the last episodes you're probably not going to be referring to it as a kid's show ever again.

Schide on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's a dying art

What's he up to at the moment?

Edit: FUUUUUCK DARK CRYSTAL WHAT IS THIS YESS

The_Scarab on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    #pipe wrote: »
    god damn it

this is another series I have to buy

I just dropped $80 on the bluray set of Band Of Brothers
    I got the DVD version about 6 months ago for 30.

Blake T on
    edited January 2009

Well than I don't get it. Maybe I'll give it a few more episodes because I pretty much love all the other cartoons you just mentioned.

I suspect the problem is that you're expecting an "adult" cartoon.

That's not what this show is. It's a great show for kids, but it also is a great show for grown-ups. The best way I can describe it is to paraphrase how Lasseter (or was it Brad Bird? I don't remember) talks about Pixar movies. They don't make a show specifically for kids, they just make a damn good show that also happens to not have anything that's inappropriate for kids.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB