As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Best Album in the past 10 years?

• KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I like Elliot Smith in small doses. The guy seems to write the same song over and over and over and over and over and over and over

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    1099170536.jpg

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - Shake the Sheets
    I love every single song on it. They can all be listened to as great individual songs, specifically whenever you need a certain thing from your music, or the entire album as a whole is absolutely wonderful.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    archonwarp wrote: »
    1099170536.jpg

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - Shake the Sheets
    I love every single song on it. They can all be listened to as great individual songs, specifically whenever you need a certain thing from your music, or the entire album as a whole is absolutely wonderful.

This, as well. But I know many, many Ted Leo fans prefer one of the two albums before it (Hearts of Oak and.....that other one). Still, this is the one I heard first, and it's the one I like the most.

HadjiQuest on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Seduction of Claude Debussy by The Art of Noise.

Listen to the entire album for free!

A blend of classical and electronic, it's varied, moody and filled with depth and care. One of the very few albums I can just listen to all of in a row and never get tired of.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There are a ton of great albums in the past ten years but I can't think of one better then Tom Waits - Real Gone.

61XCWMK7FBL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Day After Tomorrow is the standout track for most people, but it's all so good.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    the correct answer to your post, FBC, is

Madonna - Confessions on the Dancefloor
    The Knife - Silent Shout
    Ladytron - Light and Magic
    Felix Da Housecat - Kittenz and Thee Glitz
    Cut Copy - In Ghost Colors
    Soulwax - Nite Versions
    Justice - Cross (Begrudgingly)
    Kylie Minogue - X
    The Chemical Brothers - Surrender
    Eluvium - Copia

see pods like every album there is better than Madonna's album

which is still good but I'm just sayin

Medopine on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Last 10 years? Easy, Red Hot Chili Peppers "By the Way" is such a departure from the rest of their music, but by far, the most sophisticated, and also the most consistent. I love all of their other works, particularly Mother's Milk and on, but By the Way is the one album I can consistently go back to, find meaning, and appreciate the music.

A close second that is a suprise even to myself is The Killers "Sam's Town". I found the band inittialy kind of shallow, and poppy, but upon closer listening I began to realize the true musicianship in the band, and perhaps I was just lumping them in with bands that sound vaguely like them. However, when Sam's Town came out, I was reminded what a concept album should sound like. Ambitious, a consistent theme, and honest.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    see wouI could definitely see Nightfall Narian, but D&W is way too uneven. Other metal albums I could see would be Temple of Shadows by Angra and Moons and Mushrooms by Lake of Tears. I'm sure there's a BM album out there but I can't think of one.

yakul on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think the best indie of the decade so far was Funeral (by Arcade Fire). Every song on there is a classic and it pretty much defined what independent music had become and would be.

Food on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »

A close second that is a suprise even to myself is The Killers "Sam's Town". I found the band inittialy kind of shallow, and poppy, but upon closer listening I began to realize the true musicianship in the band, and perhaps I was just lumping them in with bands that sound vaguely like them. However, when Sam's Town came out, I was reminded what a concept album should sound like. Ambitious, a consistent theme, and honest.

I don't know that I thought of it that highly, but after really disliking Hot Fuss, I was really impressed by Sam's Town. I think it always speaks highly of a band when they're able to change my mind about them so completely.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Porcupine Tree's In Absentia.

That is all.

This. PT's In Absentia is still my favorite album of all time, and I doubt that'll change any time soon (though I suppose I have to admit Deadwing is getting close to it).

Pretty much most of my favorite albums of all time are from the last 10 years (though there's some pretty notable exceptions).

Other best albums of the last 10 years:

Oceansize - Effloresce
    Anathema - A Natural Disaster
    Opeth - Blackwater Park
    Devin Townsend - Terria
    Pain of Salvation - Be
    Sigur Ros - Takk
    In Flames - Clayman
    Agalloch - The Mantle
    Blackfield - Blackfield II
    No-Man - Together We're Stranger

As for my criteria, a truly great album needs to take you on a journey from beginning to end. It has to explore different sounds, and yet still stay together cohesively. It has to have depth enough to make that journey multiple times, too. On new listens I still discover new hooks or sounds on a lot of these albums here, and I really treasure music with that kind of depth. I'll admit a few of these don't really have the journey aspect, but the ones that don't put together such awesome hooks in the songs that they're unbelievably good from start to finish, too.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You people like some weird shit I have never heard of.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited January 2009
    I really like this thread. It's made me go back and listen to some of my old music, as well as discover plenty of awesome new stuff.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    At least from what I've listened to:

4194NWKCXJL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

and virtually no one knows about it...

:|

Clevinger on
    edited January 2009
    Clevinger wrote: »
    At least from what I've listened to:

4194NWKCXJL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

and virtually no one knows about it...

:|

Downloaded now, I like it. It's got a gritty classic punk feel to it.
    Does everyone here know about Ruckus? As long as you have access to a .edu email, you have free, legal music you can download and listen to.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A couple years ago I would have said Tool - Lateralus. Now, I don't know. I could probably list over fifty albums, and none of them would feel totally wrong. Many of the albums listed in this thread likewise are good suggestions.

Then again, others completely horrify me. :)

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh, I almost forgot:

600px-Ratatatcover.jpg

Absolutely fantastic instrumental rock/electronic/hip-hop album. Seriously, if this opening riff doesn't make you want to dance, something is wrong with you.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Radiohead - Kid A

Even though it doesn't fulfil most of the OP's criteria (Has anyone sat through Treefingers?) I can't think of another album I've returned to or explored more over the last 10 years.

The Fourth Estate on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ITT: FCC thinks kick-snare patterns make good dance music.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    (Has anyone sat through Treefingers?)

Why wouldn't you?

Sheep on
    edited January 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    ITT: FCC thinks kick-snare patterns make good dance music.

You mean kick-cymbal. I don't hear any snare in that beat. :P

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Ant Man BeeAnt Man Bee Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a few to throw in here.

The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2

One of the most original albums I've ever heard. Songs completely change halfway through, instruments come in and out without warning, yet it works. Not a concept album by any means, but everything meshes perfectly, despite a huge disparity of style between certain songs. Also, the record itself is evidence of the merits of lo-fi as artistic choice, rather than by necessity. This album would just not be the same if it was recorded in a slick studio.

Neutral Milk Hotel - In An Aeroplane Over The Sea

I saw this mentioned earlier, but it bears repeating. A beautiful album, both lyrically and musically. I'm always wary of using obscure genre listings, but "fuzz-folk" is too apt a description to ignore. The lyrics are unlike any I've ever heard. They're extremely abstract, but more than anything, they conjure up pure feelings. I'm looking for a good example to post, but it's impossible to pick just one line. Even now, I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about them. This is a must listen, if you haven't already.

(also, to whoever mentioned the "33 1/3" book about this album, I haven't read it, but i just discovered it's on google books. check that shit out.)

Owls - Owls

This is the one where I'll gladly admit the most bias. Owls is the reuniting of one of my favorite bands, cap'n jazz. Cap'n Jazz was an incredible, energetic, post-punk/emo band that spawned a lot of groups like the Promise Ring, Owen, American Football, etc. So in other words, a great pedigree. The guitar work is insane. Like, insane. Like, however you're imagining it sounding, you're miles off. The music itself is difficult to describe, and I'm sure their sound is not for everyone, but I would thoroughly recommend trying them out.

If I were to be honest about which I thought were the better albums objectively, I'd probably rate it - Neutral Milk Hotel, the Microphones, then Owls. But objectivity is overrated in the first place.

Ant Man Bee on
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I see no ska here.

Streetlight Manifesto- Everything Goes Numb
    Streetlight_Manifesto_-_Everything_Goes_Numb.jpg

Quite awesome. Throw it in your car for a few days and enjoy.

Smurph on
  • PartialartistPartialartist Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This thread has made me realize that I haven't heard a lot of recent music. Well, here a few that stand out, from the newer stuff I own.

Kurt Rosenwinkel - Deep Song
    51D0DJDRETL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Jonathan Kreisberg - The South of Everywhere
    11-kreisberg-B000TJ71CW.jpg

Bill Frisell - History, Mystery
    history_frisell.jpg

Partialartist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]PSN : TheIdiomatic
  • AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    wait fuck I have to make an amend to my choice. the THREE best albums of the past 10 years are clearly:

reinventing_axl_365.gif

This is the best album easily of the last ten years if not THE best album ever. It is certainly the best punk album ever made. The most passionate and brutally honest music I have ever heard. Tom Gabel is a god.

B000F3AJN0.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V54199174_.jpg

This is Murder by Death's best to date. Flawless. Seriously flawless.

52869.jpg

Tom Waits' best effort in the past ten years. Though all his CDs since certainly merit attention and praise this is the one album of his released in the past ten years that I consistently find myself coming back to.

HONORABLE MENTION:

death.jpg

Spring Break 1899 may well be the best song ever written.

Amphetamine on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ratatat is a contender in my book for sure but this album takes the cake:

Aesop Rock - Labor Days
    Labor_Days.jpg

Anyone who has ever worked and dreamed about doing things on their own schedule can relate to this album.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In an Airplane Over the Sea needs to go die. What a cacophony. Not worth it at all.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    liftyrskinnyfists.jpg
    Some absolutely incredible moments, and it's a more coherent album than anything put out since the Beatles. It's a goddamn shame those guys broke up.

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oh, goodness, I forgot this:

51F78WSPECL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Clevinger on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Porcupine tree kind of sucks. In absentia does not hold up on multiple listens.

Sam on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If only it was still 2004, I could totally say Nas - Illmatic, discussion over. :(

That said, I'll have to think for a while about my true #1, but the one that is popping out in my mind ATM is:

common_be_cover.jpg

Kris on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    liftyrskinnyfists.jpg
    Some absolutely incredible moments, and it's a more coherent album than anything put out since the Beatles. It's a goddamn shame those guys broke up.

That album creeps me the fuck out and is awesome. And not at all a bad choice, even though it's so long and dense and requiring of a certain mood that I don't want to listen to it all that often.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For me, in the early part of the last ten years Utopia Parkway by Fountains of Wayne received a lot of play. But recently, I've been listening to Traffic and Weather a bunch.

I also found out about Röyksopp recently and The Understanding is really quite good.

I usually only buy music in fits and starts and when I do, I tend to gravitate toward older releases to fill in some holes. It means I seem to be perpetually behind in my collection but at least I really enjoy what I find.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a few to throw in here.
    Neutral Milk Hotel - In An Aeroplane Over The Sea

I saw this mentioned earlier, but it bears repeating. A beautiful album, both lyrically and musically. I'm always wary of using obscure genre listings, but "fuzz-folk" is too apt a description to ignore. The lyrics are unlike any I've ever heard. They're extremely abstract, but more than anything, they conjure up pure feelings. I'm looking for a good example to post, but it's impossible to pick just one line. Even now, I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about them. This is a must listen, if you haven't already.

(also, to whoever mentioned the "33 1/3" book about this album, I haven't read it, but i just discovered it's on google books. check that shit out.)
    I asked about it and am delighted to see it is there (partial preview only) but I love this album so much, I don't care. If the book is up to par with the Dylan one I will end up buying it anyway.

http://books.google.com/books?id=w3LNm7YvR7sC&printsec=frontcover&dq=in+the+aeroplane+over+the+sea&client=firefox-a

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kris wrote: »
    If only it was still 2004, I could totally say Nas - Illmatic, discussion over. :(

That said, I'll have to think for a while about my true #1, but the one that is popping out in my mind ATM is:

common - be

Like Water for Chocolate beats the ever living shit out of this album. boo you.

geckahn on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    geckahn wrote: »

common - be

Unfortunately I have not gotten a chance to hear that album yet, so... I apologize? :P

Kris on
  • RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    6179DKEB7ML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Reckless on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

common - be

Hmmm... you know I'm not sure it's completely fair to compare a popular Mexican novel from the 1980's to a hip hop album, but I suppose I see your poiont.

Food on
    edited January 2009
    Food wrote: »

common - be

Hmmm... you know I'm not sure it's completely fair to compare a popular Mexican novel from the 1980's to a hip hop album, but I suppose I see your poiont.

LikeWaterForChocolate.jpg

Foo.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm not sure what I'd say the best album in the past 10 years is, but these are serious contenders, certainly:

boris.jpg
    Boris - Amplifier Worship

folder_483.jpg
    Boris - Pink

Amnesiac.jpg
    Radiohead - Amnesiac (definitely the most criminally underrated of their albums; it's probably my second favorite after OK Computer)

radiohead.hail.to.the.thief.jpg
    Radiohead - Hail to the Thief (also underrated, far and away superior to In Rainbows)

202383-0-300-0-300.jpg
    Mastodon - Blood Mountain (Leviathan is also really good, but I'm partial to this)

B00008VOQM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell

... I could probably go on forever, so maybe I'll halt it here. :P

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
This discussion has been closed.