As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Free Trials, ask for one in the thread.

1585960616264»

• Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have extensive WoW knowledge and skillllzzz. How quickly will I pick this game up?
    Couple of other q's..
    How fast is leveling? Grinding? Questing?
    How awesome is PVP? So awesome?
    How easy is it to obtain "phat loot"
    Is there a lack of healers / tanks that seems to plague WOW?

Although this was answered already, Ill give my own take. A lot of WoW players have trouble adjusting to this game because they see the familiar UI and stuff and think "oh, I should play this like WoW". you'll see a lot of people struggling to get out of the "wowz da best" mindset around here. Its similar, but different enough that you will need to learn. It isn't WoW 2, basically.

Leveling can go fast or slow. I've been playing since a couple weeks after release and my highest is 32. But I also have about 5 or so alts at least at lvl20, not to mention the time when girlfriend hogs my PC to get her lvl20blork and lvl15 shaman. Others, though, have been able to get to lvl 40 in like..two weeks. Grinding can go fast, between rested exp and kill collectors who provide exp per mob of a certain type you kill, but most people agree that questing/SCs are the way to go.

PvP is too awesome for words. The first time you defend a keep, firing an AoE weapon into a crowd of 30 players and watching them all take 500 damage and half get knocked down, you'll love it. There is a certain epic-ness that WAR PvP has at all levels. Fighting over the burned out port village in t1 Empire Vs Chaos is as epic as clashing over a keep.

If you liked loot in WoW, its better here. You do six mans/ public quests for loot in PvE and keeps and what not for PvP

There is no lack of anything. The only thing is sometimes you will join SCs or warbands and there will only be one healer, or tank, or whatever just because of the type of day it is. On the other hand you'll get into an SC with all tanks and healers, but no DPS. It just depends.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd advise anyone coming from WoW to lose any single-minded soloing habits; leveling in this game goes much, much faster when you do it with other people. Doing PQs as a group gives you exp reliably fast, while quest exp becomes less and less helpful as you go further up in the tiers.

In fact, pretty much everything in this game is far more fun in a group rather than as a solo player. It's one of the game's biggest strengths as well as one of its biggest weaknesses.

EDIT: Also, if anyone needs a free trial, send me a PM, I've still got all of mine to give away.

Jebu on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dizzen wrote: »
    *snip irrelevant stuff*

And the team comment thing, it was hyberbole, man. I'm talking about it still being a lame way to use a mechanic called oath friend; instead of abandoning the guy by your side for some grudge, I'm of the opinion that IBs should generally keep the oathfriend on that guy and work together (unless he's not working with you, in which case try to find someone who will). It keeps that oathfriend buffed real well, then they rape for you. He'll generate grudges for you on the account of being a scintillating target in your vicinity, and the offensive and defensive buffs will make more of a difference to a guy who's staying with the tanks over the course of those buffs, than the benefits of a bit of grudge.

I think we're both just bickering to bicker now, though. You were enthusiastic and said stuff, I was paranoid about class perceptions and said stuff, and it went downhill from there. You're still learning the class while I don't even play it, just play with them often and often watch over the shoulder of someone who plays it. And we both want the last word, despite how that word won't change me thinking its a bad tactic, or you going on to play your triage style play to what will likely be great effect.

Re irrelevant stuff:

I have adult adhd/add, and sometimes I post here when the meds have worn off or its too early to take them or whatever and later I have to reread what I said when I couldn't think and deal with feeling that what I said was stupid. I'm arrogant because I think about how to think all the time in an attempt to cure an incurable condition that I have to take drugs for that have sideeffects I don't like. So fuck off with this personality psychoanalysis crap you don't know anything about me and you have no idea how to do it anyway.

I try to apologise if I think what I said when not on meds was shortsighted, but I'm not consistent because I have a life so I don't always remember because that's one of the symptoms: absentmindedness.

Moving on: I'm only on pugs atm anyway. I did say, I do not abandon someone when I get a good combo going.

Yes you are bickering to bicker. I know I shouldn't reply, but I find you interesting and I'm not really sure why, which is why I've been continuing what I should have dropped.

edit: Also will you guys stop telling me I'm arrogant as if you think I'm going to have some bloody epiphany or something. I know I'm arrogant: I don't give a shit. It's irritating because you think it's some big insult and waste time on it when you should be addressing the content of the discussion. Don't waste your breath.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is... Is this what being destro feels like?

toivn1.jpg

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Skaven don't like anyone.

Skaven allying with orcs/chaos is more likely than Dark Elves doing the same. Even if the Skaven are going to duke it out with their "allies" the second victory is assured.

Speaking of which, my sub will be renewed if Skaven are added. All of WAR's shortcomings would be forgiven for that.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Skaven don't like anyone.

Skaven allying with orcs/chaos is more likely than Dark Elves doing the same. Even if the Skaven are going to duke it out with their "allies" the second victory is assured.

Speaking of which, my sub will be renewed if Skaven are added. All of WAR's shortcomings would be forgiven for that.

MMO launch. It's not even 6 months old. I think you ought to keep an eye on it as it passes you bye. =P

And quite honestly, Skaven would be great for destruction because all of the destro races are plotting to backstab one another after the fall of order. Skaven would fit right in.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

toivn1.jpg

From the looks of it, they only had 2 healers. The other two must have ported out becasue all their numbers are 0,0,0,0. =P

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009

pins

From the looks of it, they only had 2 healers. The other two must have ported out becasue all their numbers are 0,0,0,0. =P
    So yes, then.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Btw I am working up a new thread with a fresh OP. :D

New Thread ready to go. I'll be adding more to it as it goes along so it becomes an even better resource.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=79385

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    So I started a Witch Elf. Holy fuck are they fun. Plus they're really hot. :P

I fucking hate you with every fibre of my being.

Awww, but I <3 you Pancake!

urahonky on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

toivn1.jpg

It depends. On my server, at least in my experiences, we win roughly half of the scenarios (I'm destro).

According to Waralytics some weeks ago, we outnumbered order like 1.4 to 1. It means order tends to lpay more scenarios due to less players and it shows, since they are usually much better organized in almost every way. We have the numbers, but we're usually just sheeple. My brother once watched every destro in a 1.5 warband mass run off a cliff because they were all autofollowing some guy. They all died.

Anyhow, I've found that in scenarios especially, have someone setup an assist hotkey which tells the scenario to assist on your target. Second, at the very beginning, list every enemy healer and ask that everyone focus fire them.

You might get some asshats thanking you for the obvious protip, but in more cases than not, it does get through to enough people to help make a difference.

Ardor on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2009
    The best part about 5 archetypes is that it basically says "we are adding vampire counts"

Unknown User on
This discussion has been closed.