As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Still No Skaven/Tomb Kings & Darkness Falls Fill In Gap

Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
warheader.png

DARKNESS FALLS SUCCESSOR!
(DAoC Screens of the epically awesome RvR dungeon. Read on...)

drss07.jpg

ss21.jpg

ss10.jpg
GOA has announced that a great big "Call to Arms" update for Warhammer Online will go live from March.

Top of the bill are re-instated classes Orc Choppa and Dwarf Slayer. Both are mirrors of one another: berserk, up-close brawlers with little regard for their own safety.

These will be introduced properly in March, but players can get a head start with the new classes by completing a live Bitter Rivals event slightly earlier. This event opens a Chaos-themed Twisting Tower RvR battleground, too.

The other big feature will be a Land of the Dead zone, home to an enormous new Tomb Kings dungeon that Mythic claims to be the spiritual successor to Darkness Falls from previous MMO Dark Age of Camelot. Here, remember, all factions fought openly - albeit after starting from separate corners of the immense underground chasm.

There were also tokens to collect from hellish enemies that could be spent on equipment sold by imps. And the further down players descended the much more difficult life became, culminating in an enormous boss encounter with the Legion - a screen-filling monster made up from thousands of corpses.

The Land of the Dead will be openly contested, then, and whoever controls the area will unlock the numerous public quests and instances associated with the zone.

The Land of the Dead opens fully in June, but realms will need to complete two previous live events for access. The first, Beyond the Sands, has yet to be detailed, but will happen in April.

The second event, Rise of the Tomb Kings, unlocks the Land of the Dead for each faction, and takes place in May.

On top of all this, Mythic will be finally implementing official Warhammer Online forums, adding extra Realm Wars functionality to the website, and offering a free trial versions of the game.

Plus, this Call to Arms update is just the first of the "live expansions" planned for Warhammer Online.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/goa-unveils-enormous-war-update

So you guys may be asking yourselves what is the big deal about the newly announced RvR dungeon. Well, look at it like this. Your typical dungeon has different wings right? But what if in addition to badass monsters who will wreck your shit up, you also had enemy players dicking around. It's high stakes, it's risky, and it is bloody awesome RvR, that's what it is. If there is anything awesome about DAoC's PvE, it was that it too had RvR rolled into it. Stay tuned for more awesome details. :D

FREE TRAILS: Free trials are now available by invitations from current subscribers. Each subscriber has 3 invitations to offer every month and the trial lasts 7 days of free game play. If you choose to subscribe to WAR however, the person whom invited you gets a free 30 days! Definitely good to have. To request an invitation, just post in this thread that you want one. People whom want to give invitations, go ahead and PM the people whom post in the thread. I am currently out but will do my best to quench your bloodthirst! UPDATE! Soon there will be free trials available to anyone, w/o the use of invitations, although those will still probably work.

GUILDS:
Penny-Arcade has three guilds active at this time. The first and most prominent is The Six Mouths whom is now playing on the server 'Red Eye Mountain' as Destruction. Also playing as Destruction on the European servers is the guild Obsidian Spur on the server 'Karak Eight Peaks'. However, there are two sides to every coin. Playing as Order on the server 'Badlands' The Candymancers fight to turn back the tides of chaos what with their fancy spells and la-dee-da books.

To get in contact with the guilds to join, fill out applications on the forums or do /who The Six Mouths or /who Candymancers and ask someone if a guild admin or officer is on.

[Note: Both US guilds have moved from their original servers. TSM moved from Ulthuan to Red Eye Mountain, where as Candymancers moved from Averheim to Badlands. To move your character, go on and login here and request a server change. However! Be sure to read closely as anything in your mailbox or auction house will be lost when transferring a character. Be prepared before you click about.]

ADD-ONS:
Warhammer Online has very extensive Modding and UI support for those of you who are into that sort of thing. Even better, many of your favorite WoW addons have found their way into WAR with more being uploaded every day. Here are a few must haves.
Note: Having the Curse Client makes the install and uninstall process a whole lot easier but does require paying attention to basic instructions to set it up properly.
  • Curse's Main Website.
  • Libslash. A great client tool for modders, allows for complex commands and mods. WARNING: Many mods require this 'mod'. Just install it and that's all. It's all done behind the scenes.
  • Action Bar Color. Out of range spells and abilities get shaded red for easy recognition.
  • ReAction Bar Color. Same as above, but also colors reactive abilities (IE requiring a block) a tint of green when they are ready.
  • Killing Blow. Displays name of person you just killed and their RPs.
  • Focus. Set up 2 macro buttons on your hotbar. One makes your friendly target your /assist and the other refreshes their target. VERY excellent for RvR.
  • Victory Points. Adds a Victory Point counter to your UI instead of just eyeballing bars.
  • SNT Bar. Great UI toolbar. Kinda tricky to set up though.
  • No Movie Mod This removes every opening movie, including the logos. I, Accualt, declare this shall be in every OP ever from now on.

COMMUNITY:
The Warhammer community is FULL of fantastic resources. Digging around, let me share some of the best around. Bookmarking these is a great help. To really break your noobhood, these resources really do a hell of a job cramming in necessary info without being bloated or filled with crap. Study them religiously.

SUPPORT:
Mythic doesn't just throw you into an ocean and leave you to fend for yourself. Where's the WAR in doing something like that? Below are official Mythic Entertainment links.

SCREENSHOTS:
WAR-2008-12-10-11-52-16-15.jpg

WAR-2008-12-10-11-52-29-26.jpg

w-srjgs9iwojhy7sioks.jpg

(More great stuff will come to this OP soon. I will continue to add to it and refresh it as necessary to keep it a handy post. :D)

Lucky Cynic on

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well this is a fine start.

I guess.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    :(.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited January 2009
    Nah, I'm just yanking your shield.

Malkor on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    Nah, I'm just Fetching your Zealot.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man I'm playing up a White Lion, I'm at Rank 26, and any time something happens that is upsetting or seems unfair I just think of how great it will be to finally hit 40 and get fetch and knock those suckers right into the waiting arms of 40+ Order.

JAEF on
    edited January 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    Man I'm playing up a White Lion, I'm at Rank 26, and any time something happens that is upsetting or seems unfair I just think of how great it will be to finally hit 40 and get fetch and knock those suckers right into the waiting arms of 40+ Order.

I have an AoE taunt that says otherwise.

:3

Malkor on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to fetch that ass face right into my waiting arms and smother you with axe-kisses.

JAEF on
    edited January 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    I'm going to fetch that ass face right into my waiting arms and smother you with axe-kisses.

Just as long as you're not hopping around. I can't hit you if you hop away.

Malkor on
    edited January 2009
    Heh, earlier today I got fetched through a keep wall door (we were on defense). Thought he was clever getting me in the middle of him and his casters...

I got enough heals and nukes to chase after that fucking WL and bury an axe into his skull. :D

Tzeentchs reflection, quake, blast wave- ravage ravage ravage ravage ravage! No more White Lion...

Lucky Cynic on
    edited January 2009
    Don't forget Bane Shield!

Malkor on
    edited January 2009
    Oh thats right! Heh, I popped Bane Shield midair.

I kinda feel sorry for that White lion.

"Everyone refresh assist and kill this white lion!"

He lasted like all of 5 seconds while everyone around him was trying to kill me or was busy being knocked down and silenced. :P

Lucky Cynic on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I still like to play my chosen since I went completely insane on the toughness. It's funny to have a white lion come up and dance around me and I don't really have to pay too much attention because whoops he's doing crap for damage anyway and is going through my .5 second aura.

I think I'll play a bit more chosen today, even though the bugs get on my nerves after a while.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited January 2009
    I still like to play my chosen since I went completely insane on the toughness. It's funny to have a white lion come up and dance around me and I don't really have to pay too much attention because whoops he's doing crap for damage anyway and is going through my .5 second aura.

I think I'll play a bit more chosen today, even though the bugs get on my nerves after a while.

What bugs?

Lucky Cynic on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    literally there are chaos tainted bugs that crawl into his skin and chew on his nerve endings

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, fighting a chosen with the anti-melee aura is an exercise in futility. Also, fighting DoKs and black orcs.

Dear god do I hate DoK's. Good ones take small amounts of damage and instantly heal it up again, until I'm out of AP and can't do anything useful anymore. They also have no problem burning me down fast either :x

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    edited January 2009
    WPs can be tricky, especially when 'dedicated' healers are paying attention.

Malkor on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wooo the last thread there was a picture of Order totally asswopping Destruction.. are healers lacking on Desto?

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is that for the Badlands server? if so then yes I see tons of black guard, a few witch elves, and a few chaos. I saw one zealot over the weeks and they were in a group all the time complaining about the harassment they were getting in whispers to anyone who asked if they would help

Brainleech on
  • KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Last thread closed before I could respond so I dragged this into the new one. Sue me.
    Accualt wrote: »
    <<<Big Post about Awesome ORvR from Sunday>>>
    Sunday I had wonderful ORvR experiences of wonderfulness! The wife and I were playing our Shaman/BG duo and all of t2 Chaos was controlled by Order. I didn't feel like doing quests so I threw together a group to see about taking BOs. It didn't take long before we had enough to take keeps so weeeee, off we went. Rolled everything in Chaos then headed for Elf lands.

We took the North Pointy Ear keep about the same time Order took the South. Destro smelled blood, we just had to hunt down Order to take it. We ended up standing guard at the only south battlefield objective in the south those monotheistic fools didn't control. After waiting for what seemed like far too long Order shows up and we meet them halfway down a hill. We made it clear if we were going to kill them the BO guards were not going to be the reason. It was a nice little 7 minute battle, good back and forth before we completely ran them off. Being a Blackguard Order thought they could kill me with ease, what they didn't realize is I had TSM backup from Sayer, Kendrek, and my wife...plus I'm toughness/wounds. Of course being a BG they DID kill me once.

Now the warband is getting excited, thinking we are going to have some real RvR against a full warband of Order. We head to the southern keep, expecting stiff defense. It wasn't stiff, it was limp with just a few Order stragglers. The mighty Order warband had clearly moved on. So we busted down the door, killed the lord, and headed for the land of orks.

When we got to MoM there was another Destro warband, maybe three groups at the most. No Order so we took everything before heading to BV. Now BV, that was good times. We try banging on the door but a few Bright Wizards and someone manning the oil is making it difficult. It felt like it took 20minutes to knock that damn door down and once we did, "oh hello there full Order warband." The combination of oil and broken line of sight when melee rushed inside let Order clean us up. We (sort of) regroup and I get worried because a number of people were running off on their own instead of sticking together. Never a good sign. We have a little bit of fighting outside the keep before Order pulls back inside. This results in 10 minutes of melee blocking the door and our guys getting killed and rezzed. Eventually we TSMers manage to convince the mob to pull away from the door, regroup, and then rush the entrance together with tanks in front. Leading the charge as a BG really makes you wish you were a Blorc or a Chosen or really any tank other than a Swordmaster. I didn't die but I came incredibly close, if it wasn't for my wife playing Giblit in the same room as me I'd have been dead 18 times over.

After flooding into the first floor we manage to kill just a few Order while the majority retreated to the lord room. Some of our fellow Destro ran up the stairs after them but we TSMers somehow convinced everyone to rez, heal, and form up on the first floor. I was amazed these people were following directions, though I'm sure it helped that Ken and I were repeating ourselves aplenty. We got tanks in front and told them to pop Hold the Line and charge up when the command was given. Everyone else was suppose to follow and slaughter healers, then casters, then tanks before going after the Keep Lord. When I /say CHARGE! it was beautiful seeing that many Destro players move as one. We lost a lot of people in the charge (I died myself but not before killing a Runepriest). Our healers were on top of things, though, and rezzed as fast as they could. Even better Destro didn't linger on the stairs! We slaughtered all of Order and their Lord. It felt good, we'd flipped 6 keeps, including one that was heavily defended by a force almost as large as our own.

Order didn't show back up, though, and I hate keep flipping so we TSMers killed Ogre Tyrents while waiting on scenario pops. This was also good times. :^:

Yeah, that was one of the best oRvR experiences yet for the wife and I. I'm still a bit stunned that the PUG actually followed directions, too. I imagine that order warband was kicking itself, as well, for losing the keep like that. :)

Kendrik on
    steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
    edited January 2009

What bugs?

When you switch to a mastery aura in pvp it automatically goes to it's cooldown. So you go from say toughness to the .5, both switch to 12 second cooldown then fall off. It makes twisting casually in pvp annoying, you have to keep an eye on it all the time.

Also mixed defenses either doesn't work, works only on base parry (which is completely fucking useless) or apparently only works when supression is active (when people report their parry going up to 50%).

Also it's not a bug but the crappy knockback gets to me sometimes. Although I do like the sense of satisfaction when I get a perfect arc into the lava from an angle it shouldn't work at.

They're the only bugs that bother me but the aura one bothers me a lot.

edit: Oh something I felt I should tell you guys about being knocked away with a strong velocity.

If you are falling into the lava in tor immediately jump as soon as you hit the lava you will actually travel in the direction of the jump with a similar velocity and without the snare taking effect.

So you can get about two or three meters before the lava kicks in and you are snared to a stupid speed. I've actually managed to do this straight from the lava onto a rock and the lava didn't tick so no snare.

Morninglord on
    edited January 2009
    Kendrik wrote: »
    Last thread closed before I could respond so I dragged this into the new one. Sue me.
    Accualt wrote: »
    <<<Big Post about Awesome ORvR from Sunday>>>
    We got tanks in front and told them to pop Hold the Line and charge up when the command was given. Everyone else was suppose to follow and slaughter healers, then casters, then tanks before going after the Keep Lord. When I /say CHARGE! it was beautiful seeing that many Destro players move as one. We lost a lot of people in the charge (I died myself but not before killing a Runepriest). Our healers were on top of things, though, and rezzed as fast as they could. Even better Destro didn't linger on the stairs! We slaughtered all of Order and their Lord.

Seriously, doing this works. Sure more often than not the first rush of tanks end up dying, but the second rush of tanks, mpds, rpds, and healers can actually do their job since all of Order is focused on killing the first set of tanks. Pretty much the only thing that stops it is tanks on defense setting up a wall on the stairs.

Malkor on
    edited January 2009
    GOOD THING WE DON'T HAVE A NEW THREAD TO POST IN.

THAT'S A VERY GOOD THING

Malkor on
  • YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Still has that new thread smell!

While I would like to see Slayers as a playable race and think Mythic will go that way it's possible we could get Feral orcs as the orcy mdps.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    my OP was so much better

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My dwarven engineer is only like level 7, but my god is he fun.

Wallhitter on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would really really really like a free trial.l

That'd be super cool. Thank you.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • McCow42McCow42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Keep defence in this game is glorious.

At one point I was getting 2900+ influence ticks as it was just a Magus and myself (DoK) destroying half a warband of order.

I would like to thank you order for pulling to the outside pads. It makes you very easy to AE.

McCow42 on
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    From the old thread:
    JamesDM wrote: »
    Alright, I'm not sure if my computer will run this as it barely failed the systemrequirementslab test but when this happens I can usually run games great, like Left4Dead. So if anyone wants to potentially waste a trial code toss me one.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    you need to pop auto dismount in the add-ons section in the OP, i'd call it a must have. also, i've installed item rack (rather than closet gnome) and its making life far more tolerable for my zealot and archmage between soloing and scenarios...

in scenarios the t1 and t2 pops are screwed on both servers i play on. on destro (EU karak norn) i've been seeing no healers of any description on our side vs 3-4 WP and a smattering of RPs and AMs

on order (newly transferred to karak azgal) destro is always well padded with shaman and zealots, all we ever seem to run are BWs and WLs :s

manji on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    McCow42 wrote: »
    Keep defence in this game is glorious.

At one point I was getting 2900+ influence ticks as it was just a Magus and myself (DoK) destroying half a warband of order.

I would like to thank you order for pulling to the outside pads. It makes you very easy to AE.

2900 per tick? Jebus.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wooo the last thread there was a picture of Order totally asswopping Destruction.. are healers lacking on Desto?

Yes. Especially since the average Disciple Of DPS breaks out in a rash at the concept of healing anyone other than themselves.

And double especially since the average Order team is now half Ironbreakers and half a blend of Warrior Priests, Runepriests and Archmages.

Lawndart on
  • YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lawndart wrote: »

Yes. Especially since the average Disciple Of DPS breaks out in a rash at the concept of healing anyone other than themselves.

And double especially since the average Order team is now half Ironbreakers and half a blend of Warrior Priests, Runepriests and Archmages.

Bah, totally untrue. Since the Chalice change I play as a primary healer in SC's and ORvR. My group healing skills rock. DoK's lack the tools to keep someone up that's getting focused on though. Need to have something to melee to get our only direct heal off and it needs to be squishy to get good healing numbers.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
    edited January 2009
    Yathrin wrote: »

Bah, totally untrue. Since the Chalice change I play as a primary healer in SC's and ORvR. My group healing skills rock. DoK's lack the tools to keep someone up that's getting focused on though. Need to have something to melee to get our only direct heal off and it needs to be squishy to get good healing numbers.

To further add to the point; that "DPS" DoK may be doing more good than harm.

At 20 rend soul heals for 200-450 per hit (using 29.0 dps weapons with ~250 Str and that tactic that gives +25% melee damage/-25% healing damage) so it's fairly good in terms of keeping people up under focus fire. As a reference my hot heals for about 155; group heal for 450; with out the damage tactic equipped. The keep point is try to find the softest target available; don't expect zomg healing trying to rend an Ironbreaker for example. One block and the person you are trying to heal is in trouble. It does change in Tier 3 with the overabundance of CC tho. Best success I've had with the DoK is staying in what I call the middle of the fight; pealing off WH's/WL's that would outright kill other classes and running in to help tanks with a couple shots of consume essence + hot when needed.

Not sure if it's common knowledge or not in regards to the the damage tactic for both DoK's and WP's (+25%damage/-25% healing), the -25% doesn't get applied to Rend Soul and Consume Essence (not sure what the WP equivalent is) which heal via proc. I'm not sure why to be honest but it's a good way to contribute healing in a group that may have more of a dedicated healer (Shaman/Zealot).

McCow42 on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That knockbock morale skill on the Shadow Warriors doesn't actually do damage if you knock someone off a cliff, does it?

urahonky on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Right now when I do attempt the free trial (probably won't be until reading week) I am trying to decide between a Zealot and Black Ork. Black Ork because ORKZ IS DA BIGGEST AND DA STRONGEST.. Zealot because I like being useful :V

TheCrumblyCracker on
    edited January 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    That knockbock morale skill on the Shadow Warriors doesn't actually do damage if you knock someone off a cliff, does it?

Nope. *Unless you bounce them into some object first and their momentum carries them off the side of a cliff.

I suggest celebrations include some sort of fruity drink.

McCow42 on
    edited January 2009
    Well, from what I can tell from PVP, Black Orks have a metric fuck-ton of health, but can't do any damage. So there's that. You'll survive a lot in PVP but you probably won't get any killing blows.

urahonky on
    edited January 2009
    McCow42 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Nope. *Unless you bounce them into some object first and their momentum carries them off the side of a cliff.

I suggest celebrations include some sort of fruity drink.

Damn. I guess that's fair, but man I love drawing them to the bridge in the Nord scenario, and just blasting them down to the water below. That way they they either die or have to walk back up.

urahonky on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yathrin wrote: »

Notice that I did say "average".

I've been in groups/warbands with DoK's who apply buffs/heals to groupmates, and those who can't even be bothered to rez anyone.

Order on REM has been healer-heavy from T2-T4, at least after the BW nerfs. That's the primary reason I picked up Black Lotus Blade on my Witch Elf, since I got annoyed when all of my victims were able to heal or be healed through my damage.

Lawndart on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Best thing for Nord scen when you have morale knockback- Run to the top of the fort and pick on people. When some tank or MDPS, or better yet healer, comes running at you to stop you...You line them up and send them over the battlements, off the cliff. It seriously takes like a minute and a half to walk back.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.