As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of the Year 2008

12346»

• PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Marvel doesn't seem very keen on having legacy characters unless the older versions were lame.

are you saying steve rogers was lame because I think that's the implication here

also aren't they replacing the black panther? checkmate

I was generalizing. Also, hasn't T'Challa stepped down from being BP once before? And there's been a couple other Captain Americas and two Thors, plus Thor Girl, She-Hulk, the multiple Spidey also-rans, Captain Marvel 1-3, Quasar, etc. You should take issue with those as well.

uh, I said checkmate

I know but I ignored it because your opinion is wrong and we're not even playing chess anyway.

JENGA!

PantheraOnca on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Marvel doesn't seem very keen on having legacy characters unless the older versions were lame.

are you saying steve rogers was lame because I think that's the implication here

also aren't they replacing the black panther? checkmate

I was generalizing. Also, hasn't T'Challa stepped down from being BP once before? And there's been a couple other Captain Americas and two Thors, plus Thor Girl, She-Hulk, the multiple Spidey also-rans, Captain Marvel 1-3, Quasar, etc. You should take issue with those as well.

uh, I said checkmate

I know but I ignored it because your opinion is wrong and we're not even playing chess anyway.

JENGA!

C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

Bloods End on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    kingkhan wrote: »
    I see all you guys talking about every comic released this year as though you've read them all. How do I keep up with comics like this, and find out what I want to buy out of it all, without going broke? I'm starting to think you're all just elitist bastards.

<3

I spend $40-80 on comics a week.

<3

Sharp101 on
  • kingkhankingkhan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ha, that explains that.

It looks like until I get out of college and get a high-paying job that I'm just going to fall behind all these awesome series and have to go through like, 20 volumes of the stuff to catch up.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ha, that explains that.

It looks like until I get out of college and get a high-paying job that I'm just going to fall behind all these awesome series and have to go through like, 20 volumes of the stuff to catch up.

You can follow core titles, then just float on these forums. In example, if you read avengers the initiative and secret invasion, you know what is going on in the marvel universe overall, and just fill in the gaps around here by asking questions. I would say if you want to keep up on the universe's, pick up whatever core story they got going on, and then comics involving characters that interest you. I would say you could get away with spending $30 - $40 per month and be fairly caught up.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ha, that explains that.

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened to me. To be honest, I downloaded a lot of comics for a good portion of school. But the day I graduated and got a job, I started buying comics every week. That was just about 2 years ago. I now have 4 long boxes full :P

Sharp101 on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I pretty much only spend $50 a month on single comics. The rest of the stuff I either get in trade later, or read about online, etc. Scans_daily is pretty decent too if there is a new series you want to see before you buy.

Mr Pink on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm trying to do no more than $40 a month and have been mostly successful the last couple months. I suggest to everyone to just take out year-long subscriptions because then your price per issue is less than $2. If you just want to read them and don't care too much about condition, it's the best deal. Or you could just trade wait.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I buy trades in big batches a couple of times a year, so it's hard to say how much I spend. But basically I've set out to read things that are either awesome or very relevant to the state of the Marvel Universe, so I find this forum very helpful to filter out what I want to read.

It's also spoiler-tastic though :/

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited January 2009
    It's the peril of always reading stories 6 months late.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited January 2009
    Can I get an exact issue name for the holiday special, Virral? I had trouble googling it.

Also, I'm gonna have to make a budget to see exactly how much I can blow away on comics every month. Thanks for the addiction, jerks.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2009
    Marvel charges $23.99 for a twelve issue subscription to new subscribers. If you are a current subscriber, you can get new subscriptions for $19.99 for 12 issues at Marvel. Marvel even has a couple deals where you get 36 issues (3 issues a month) for $49.99. All of the core titles are available for subscription. I'd suggest opening one or two subscriptions, then when you get your first issues, you're a current subscriber and can get in on the 19.99 price. For a couple hundred up front, you can get 10 to 12 titles a year, versus $300 to $360 for the same titles for a year. Then you can take those savings and buy titles that aren't available buy subscription.

Alternately, use HeavyInk, where you get 20% off and free shipping.

wwtMask on
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the info, it'll be handy when I get to a point in a series where I'm caught up.

I just worried that all these won't be awesome anymore, or will just be seriously dated, by the time I get the money to buy comics all the time.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the info, it'll be handy when I get to a point in a series where I'm caught up.

I just worried that all these won't be awesome anymore, or will just be seriously dated, by the time I get the money to buy comics all the time.

Well, nothing is wrong with dated, as long as you still like it.

Mr Pink on
    edited January 2009
    Can I get an exact issue name for the holiday special, Virral? I had trouble googling it.

Here we go, it was their Digital Holiday Special

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's the peril of always reading stories 6 months late.

I'm similar to Virral, but I'm still at the point where there are TONS of old books I need to read. Like I just picked up Marvel Boy in trade and it was ridiculously awesome. So discovering old awesome stuff and reading it all at once is one benefit of tradewaiting. I also just prefer the format physically. Not a longbox person, but maybe when I own more books I will be..

valiance on
    edited January 2009
    You and I should start a club Valiance, I only recently found a copy of Marvel Boy myself :)

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I spend nothing a month on single issues. I work at a comic store HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Algertman on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Algertman wrote: »
    I spend nothing a month on single issues. I work at a comic store HAHAHAHAHAHA!

You son of a bitch. You also get massive discounts on trades I bet.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You can also sit in Borders and read both trades and singles all day like I do. Eventually you'll run through all the good books and start picking up the DC ones too

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, but one day the President of Borders will show up at your front door to collect your first born. You didn't really think they'd let you read all that for free, did you?

Robos A Go Go on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Such is the price we pay for not paying the price for comics

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I do that at the local Indigo/Chapters as well, but in my defence, doing so helped prod me into buying entire runs of Preacher, Fables, Y: The Last Man, Astonishing X-Men, and other trades.

Though to incriminate myself a bit further, many of those were bought on Amazon.

But at least I'm paying for them somewhere down the line.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I am all about trade waiting. I just love having hardcovers on the shelf too much.

But then, that's why my moty's for 2008 are the Sinestro corp war, the Cap omnibus, and my absolute watchmen.

:(

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Absolute Watchmen? That isn't even moment of the century!

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I also read some delightful stories about those little rascals the katzenjammer kids!

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I see all you guys talking about every comic released this year as though you've read them all. How do I keep up with comics like this, and find out what I want to buy out of it all, without going broke? I'm starting to think you're all just elitist bastards.

Excuse me. I'm an elitist asshole. I even used to say so in my sig on another forum using a PS'ed penny arcade comic.
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    I pretty much only spend $50 a month on single comics. The rest of the stuff I either get in trade later, or read about online, etc. Scans_daily is pretty decent too if there is a new series you want to see before you buy.

Same here. It's amazing what you can learn just from reading CBR and Newsarama regularly (not even the boards, which are filled with terrible monsters and bottomless pits of evil). Sometimes IGN. Sometimes Wizard is useful, but usually gets stuff much later than the web. What they lack in timeliness they make up for in exclusive content. But for instance I just read Feb's Wizard and learned Mike Benson is writing a Marvel Noir title, and while he wouldn't say which I am almost certain it's going to be Cage Noir.

I also use the local public library, which stocks a whole ton of up-to-date floppies. That and friends is how I managed to read every tie-in of Secret Invasion (all 90+ of them) to write the intro post for GV's Avengers thread. And then reading every goddamn thing on the web about DR posted as soon as SI ended.

Crimsondude on