As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hi! My name is... (or "Why I hate anyone with more than 1 'X' in their name")

• Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'll let you people guess....

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    I'll let you people guess....

"TK421 was the identification of the unfortunate Stormtrooper in Star Wars (and the only named Stormtrooper in the Star Wars movies) whose uniform was stolen by Luke and Han after they ambushed the scanning crew. The Stormtrooper disappeared from guarding the Millennium Falcon to supposedly assist the scanning crew, thus the line by Sub-Lieutenant Pol Treidum, Gantry Officer of Docking Bay 327, "TK421, why aren't you at your post?""

ja?

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    yep. i got the hyphens from the star wars ccg where the named tie pilots that you could stick with vader for a bonus were named ds-61-2 thru ds-61-4.

ive had this name for well over 12 years

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Since everyone else is telling their stories of awesome naming I guess I should tell mine too.

My name comes back from when I was 13 and a big Final Fantasy fan. I'd initially wanted to name myself Bahamut as he was and still is my favorite summon of the series, but it was taken already.

So, instead of naming myself Bahamut85 or something like that I thought I'd just try something else. At first, I was going to use Sky Dragon but I didn't think that was really original either, so after mixing up the name a bit I came up with Dragkonias. It has pretty much stuck with me ever since.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pants = shortened version of Pantalones Calientes Inteligentes del Sol.

Which came from Hot Pants - kid was trying to start a fight and my pants were far from baggy that day - became Pantalones Calientes in Spanish class later that week (must have been freshman year of HS) with the rest added on. "Pants" followed naturally and by 10th grade that's how most teachers knew me. I've got friends who still call me that and I'm 27.

B is the initial of my last name. I use Pants and PantsB pretty widely as its pretty rare for it to be taken. I've never seen another PantsB so it works pretty well.

My first "handle" was "Woundweavr" based off a referenced General in David Gemmell's "Legend". I'll go with the standard "I was 13" (and later the 10 character AOL limit) excuse.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    043 wrote: »
    S043 (my Gamertag on XBL) is for Spartan-043, a SPARTAN-II from the Halo series. And now that I've branched out more and more, I've just made it my thing.

Having a Halo-based name as my Playstation Network ID makes me laugh, but I don't really think of it as just that anymore. It's what I use for everything.
    It doesn't hurt that William-043 is dead.

That's how I feel about my Live GT and PSN ID, SuperJumpMan. I'm a big Nintendo fan, but didn't want to go with the typical Mario85 or that kind of crap. Instead, I decided to go with his much less known name, Super Jumpman. The capitalizations are just to make it easier to differentiate the words (I was unaware you could use spaces when I made it).

As for my forum name, it came from my first character on WoW I created back in 2004-ish. One that I proudly still play to this day.

On a side note, my Steam log-in name, Azarius, is my old character name on a MUD I used to play back in highschool.

Dourin on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My name came about my sophomore year in high school when I was still new to the internet. This would have been about 1999. I was over at my friends house, and he wanted to play some Starcraft on battle.net. I saw some guy in the lobby named TwoFistedDeath and found it kind of amusing.

A couple months later I was signing up for a MUD (Ages of Despair) and that was the first name that popped into my head. For some reason it had like, an 11 character limit or something around there, so I replaced letters trying to keep it phonetically the same until it fit. Which is a good thing, because it was sort an RPish MUD and the name in it's original form would not have fit in. Oddly enough, because there were a lot of Swedish folk on that particular MUD, due to my name lots of people thought I was one of them.

I kind of like the name, as it is unique, and nobody else is stupid enough to want it. Having the same name everywhere on the internet helps me moderate myself. Though Bog knows you can still find plenty of stupid stuff I've said. I also get enjoyment from watching people try to puzzle it out. Only a few people get it fairly quickly.

Most people call me Tofy (pronounced Toefee), or Tof (toff or tofe). Occasionally I get Two-Fist or Tofster. My old captain in YPP calls me Tofu, and my new captain sometimes calls me toffee. My favorite wizard from AoD called me T-dude. Brahs on XBox Live frequently stumble around it for a bit before just settling on Fag.

Some of my favorite names I've come across:
    One of my roommates uses Thanatopless.
    Another one was Sargent Sarcasm for a long time (which worked really well for him) until he decided he should get promoted and became Lieutenant Groyn. It didn't fit in XBL so we made him British so now he's LeftenantGroyn.
    We've come across Jehovatron and Defenstrator on XBL which was good for some laughs.
    I've also seen Sean (or some name like that) and SeanLikesGuys playing doubles in Halo.
    The best though, has to be Dr. Abortion, MD. If it was just Dr. Abortion, it would have only been mildly funny, and of questionable taste, but the added MD just gets me every time.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My name comes from when I played D&D. This guy was a character, and I just always liked the name. Also it's almost never taken, 'cause it's just random.

However, I have a group of friends, we get together every once in a while to play.. whatever we feel like playing at the time, and if there is a custom naming feature we just go insane.

Most famously among us we often have Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren as characters.

You killed Calvin Klein

Khavall on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mine is from a doodle I did on a desk in highschool that goes something like take the hyper greenskinned elves with disturbing grins that Maggie watches in one or two Simpsons episodes, make the grin and eyes even more disturbing, throw in a little possessed semi from Maximum Overdrive, add a cigarette and santa hat and serve.

I generally try to refrain from judging people based on their names alone. However if your name is something like Thuggin Forlyfe (thank you Warhammer) and you act like a douche you usually don't get another chance. Giving you the benefit of the doubt was your second chance.
    Because of the way your name is all mashed together, I always read it as Happy lil elif, thinking you are some kind of programming nerd.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I started off ages ago usnig the login for my dad's dial-up internet access - Gayles. In reality, it is the name a cottage in Northern Quebec. Online, playing Red Alert 1, I was often asked if I was gay or lesbian. Or both. A bit odd for a 10 year old.

I eventually got tired of Gayles and got my own monkier when I signed up for a hotmail account, taking Oh-Boy. I occasionally use OhNoBoy when the former is taken. I still use it sometimes, but not often... it's usually taken anyway.

Later in life I worked as a camp counsellor. Everyone on staff had a nickname that they'd use during camp hours (so the kdis rarely if ever learned your real name). After 2 weeks of training, somone suggested "Apogee", since I was a resident nerd, and Commander Keen rocks. It stuck, and I've used it a lot since. I love how many people recognise it :D. It's my main name now. Sometimes Apogee is taken, so natually I use Perigee.

Recently, after I got my girlfriend into WoW, she took the username Linx (or Lincks). I made a matching character, Lanx (or Lancks). I use those two occasionally.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My real name is Xerxes, and I take offense to your post title good sir. :|

[tiny]notrly[/tiny]

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Back in 2000 or so when I started playing more online games (specifically quake 3) I kept having all my handles taken so I tried to come up with a nonsense word that was easy to pronounce, spell and remember. I came up with Greeble (came from greedy, I was using GreedyBastard at the time) Then years later fucking neopets made a damn toad thing and named it greeble.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well mine was a inside joke years ago on IRC regarding a mayonaise of pure evil and black as midnight. Have been using it since about 97-98 I believe.

For the longest time I was the only darkmayo out there.. recent google searches show more hits that arent mine but are usually the words broken up by a space. If you google and see a post by a darkmayo and its in english it was likely me.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "Yougottawanna" was the name of a racehorse in the Del Mar futurity back in the day. I remember it because it was called "Yougottawanna" and made a hell of a stretch run to win it.

Some guy on a message forum I used to post on claimed that "you gotta wanna" was his new motto in life after seeing it.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i didnt know how to spell suave

Sueve on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Smooth...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sueve wrote: »

Holy shit! Is this a prize thread?

I demand it be turned into one.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Not that this is the least bit interesting but I'll give my name origin. I used to use ACE in arcades because it was like the default easiest nickname you could put in. On the internet, Ace was a dime a dozen. So when I joined a guild called SK in quake1, I combined sk with ace and made a permanent name. Now I fight with a small group of foreigners who tend to grab my name in all things reservable. But it's an improvement.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I really liked Marathon. And especially Durandal. I love evil AIs.

And it's a numbername because I use it everywhere, and I got tired of remembering if I'd managed to get it without numbers or with every time I was logging in somewhere.

I also used to go by Remus when my friend and I did 2v2 in Starcraft, he was obviously Romulus. We argued in all-chat about who deserved to get the city and I called his mother a bitch. People didn't really get it.

And I think the only other one I use with any frequency is Ondine, because it sounds cool and because "Ondine's Curse" is just the weirdest and worst thing.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    My name is awesome and doesn't need an explanation.
    Actually I've been using this since I went on my "call everyone a honky" binge when I was a youngin. While trying to come up with an email address my friend walks over to me, and I type in "u r a honky" for the name, and then took out the spaces. Since then it's been used basically everywhere.

And here I was thinking it was prounced u ra honky.

While playing TF2, I once saw someone named Dr. Acula and thought it was a neat name.

Wasn't that a joke in Scrubs?

Heffling on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Although my favorite alt for Xbox Live was "a free iPod". "You've been sniped by a free iPod"

For quite a while I was "a Vehicle". There were some priceless reactions at lan parties when people were first killed by a Vehicle.

Arrath on
  • Options
    2and2is52and2is5 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My XBL name is n1njanaut.

I was really into Halo 2 at the time.

Terrible name I know, but I'm too lazy to change it.

2and2is5 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Arrath wrote: »
    Although my favorite alt for Xbox Live was "a free iPod". "You've been sniped by a free iPod"

For quite a while I was "a Vehicle". There were some priceless reactions at lan parties when people were first killed by a Vehicle.

when i was little i used to goto the lasertag places where it would show you who shot you on the back of the gun. i would use the name 'error' and people would call for help a lot of times after i shot them.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I didn't read anything but the first page so if the thread is now OT, suck it up.

My forum name is "yourfatauntsusan" because I have a fat aunt Susan and didn't want to use what I use outside of this forum.

In L4D, my name is Tom Cruise-control. Why? I don't know.

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Genji GlovesGenji Gloves ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    Arrath wrote: »

when i was little i used to goto the lasertag places where it would show you who shot you on the back of the gun. i would use the name 'error' and people would call for help a lot of times after i shot them.

This is the funniest shit I've ever heard.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a friend whose online tag for anyting is 'Premium' because the first game we played mutiplayer was a James Bond game and he thought it was funny.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Heffling wrote: »
    Actually I've been using this since I went on my "call everyone a honky" binge when I was a youngin. While trying to come up with an email address my friend walks over to me, and I type in "u r a honky" for the name, and then took out the spaces. Since then it's been used basically everywhere.

While playing TF2, I once saw someone named Dr. Acula and thought it was a neat name.

Nothing original has ever come out of Scrubs. Please remember that.

The "Dr. Acula" joke was written by Mitch Hedberg. Before that, it was also the name of a character in Night of the Ghouls
    Man. I went to the doctor the other day. All this guy did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go to see Dr. Acula.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    SF_DhalsimSF_Dhalsim Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My names revolve around 2 things Street fighter and Communist Russia....

buff said also favorite name ive seen askurdaughter i find this name particularly hilarios because of a COD sniper moment:

Me: WTF WAS THAT.

Reply: askurdaughter

Me: wtf man i dont have a-ooooohh

SF_Dhalsim on
    sig-1355736.jpg
    sig-1355747.jpg
    SC2: XxKhrushchev.539
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "Legba" is the name of a voudoun/voodoo loa. The year I was about 14-15, the name kept popping up randomly in things I read, most of which had nothing obvious to do with voodoo. I decided it was a sign and stuck with it.

Legba on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Go Democracy Go is/was my xbl gamertag, I was really into politicts at the time, but wanted something that didn't scream partisan, as well it just sounded right, not too soft, but not too "420playAz4ever" either, this soon evolved into people calling me "Demo"

Element Brian... the reasoning behind this one is stupid, trivial, and middle schoolish, so whenever people ask, i just make something up, So basically it means whatever you think it means.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Because I'm creative. Also I'm lazy, not Cow lazy just to lazy to fine a new name, I swear it to be true.

HA!

I was like 11 or something at the time and D2 rocked, I used to use BlackDeath5 and sometimes still do because you know, the plague was cool.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Because I'm creative. Also I'm lazy, not Cow lazy just to lazy to fine a new name, I swear it to be true.

HA!

I was like 11 or something at the time and D2 rocked, I used to use BlackDeath5 and sometimes still do because you know, the plague was cool.

cows are fucking the raddest

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

The best name

Khavall on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This actually happened to me with my City of Heroes character.

His name is Freion, after the stuff that keeps a fridge cold (he was an Electricity/Ice Blaster, so it only seemed right to name him after what keeps an electric device cold).

The problem?
    Spell check. It's Freon. No I. I dunno where I got the I but I got it.

Anyway, I decided to write this into a backstory for him. Where he told someone how to spell it because he always sees it "spelled wrong".
    Then, when asked why there's an I (and confronted by a reporter who says "There's no I in Freion..."), he insists it stands for Freeze/Ion.

My friend and I started poking fun at it.
    Me: Pfft, who names their character Freion?
    Him: Yeah its not even spelled correctly.
    M: Seriously, it's like he couldn't be bothered to spell check it.
    H: I bet he even claims it's "freeze/ion" or something lame like that.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I fell in love with Anne Rice and marijuana, both, somewhere around junior high... I think it was 1992.

L = Lestat (<3)

CDXX is the roman numerical representation of "420". Something I don't typically like to flaunt, but then again I am a very big fan of pot. Though very seldom do I get to enjoy it these days.

Kinda generic, but still unique... It represents me without necessarily being another OLOL "potsmoker420" on Xbox Live.

Unfortunately, I have more than one "X" in my name so I am to be forever shunned by my PA brethren. :(

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lither on City of Heroes because I was going to be a strech character

but everyone thought it said Hitler

I was like "what?"

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »

Nothing original has ever come out of Scrubs. Please remember that.

The "Dr. Acula" joke was written by Mitch Hedberg. Before that, it was also the name of a character in Night of the Ghouls
    Man. I went to the doctor the other day. All this guy did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go to see Dr. Acula.

It was also a joke in the movie Ed Wood, which is where I first heard it.

I used to use that in Starcraft and WCIII online, people always thought I was referencing Mitch Hedburg.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    LCDXX wrote: »
    I fell in love with Anne Rice and marijuana, both, somewhere around junior high... I think it was 1992.

L = Lestat (<3)

CDXX is the roman numerical representation of "420". Something I don't typically like to flaunt, but then again I am a very big fan of pot. Though very seldom do I get to enjoy it these days.

Kinda generic, but still unique... It represents me without necessarily being another OLOL "potsmoker420" on Xbox Live.

Unfortunately, I have more than one "X" in my name so I am to be forever shunned by my PA brethren. :(

I think Roman Numerals are exempt from the multiple X hate. And at least CDXX is creative. However, the most creative pot reference I ever saw was in binary.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    FalseyFalsey Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    One day when I was around 14, and my friend was visiting at my place, we were scrolling through channels on TV and happened upon the original Batman series. (ie. Adam West).

The villain in this particular episode was a man named False-Face (who, I somehow get the impression from, didn't go on to very great heights). I thought this was a great name because I was an idiot or something, so this became my handle on Warcraft 3, the only online game I ever played due to it being fairly able to deal with a dial-up connection. Naturally over time it just shortened to Falsey.

Falsey on
  • Options
    CaspianXCaspianX Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    1) My screen name is a reference to the Narnia books (The X because, you know, "the tenth"). It was one of a string of screen names I tried out back in the days when I didn't know what I wanted to go by, and it just happens to be the one that stuck.

2) I would say I don't generally judge others by their names, but often names can give me a strong indicator of what a person will be like. People who use random strings of numbers and letters in screen names are a red flag, as are any attempts at 1337 or immature gamer slang (I0wnzn00bs is a name that I'd instantly be disgusted with).

... I don't have any good stories or anything for 2.5 or 3.

CaspianX on
    sigv2a.gif