As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hi! My name is... (or "Why I hate anyone with more than 1 'X' in their name")

• Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My forum name is a piss weak villain in a comedy sketch from the 90s 'charlie the wonder dog'

my xbl name is a my name is earl referance where randy announces if he had a chance to change his name, he would pick Crash Fistfight.

...hmm better fix my sig.

EDIT: ok its working now for some reason.

Shifty_Calhoun on
  • X Pr3dat0R XX Pr3dat0R X Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Do people judge me by my name? I'm intrigued now.

X Pr3dat0R X on
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't judge people by their name at all, I do however love seeing people who fulfill the stereotype by having a name like Xx420K1llahxX and acting like an asshat.

Probably, but I really could only say that you are probably a competitive person, a completionist and at times possibly an elitist but not to the extent that people call you out on it.

Am I close?

Also, do you wear alot of khakis and have a strong attraction to nice pens?

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I do.

Although your avatar is classy.

Impersonator on
  • killamajigkillamajig Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    while deeply beloved, Futurama is in fact not my favorite show ever. At the time I picked the name, however, it really was.

killamajig on
    "Oh cruel fate...to be thusly boned...ask not for who the bone bones...it bones for thee."
    Killamajig and Scullykel999 on MTGO
    edited January 2009
    killamajig wrote: »
    while deeply beloved, Futurama is in fact not my favorite show ever. At the time I picked the name, however, it really was.

I just find it funny that everything about your sig/av/etc. is a Futurama reference.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

edited January 2009

I do.

Hooray for redemption :-)
    Would the mods be annoyed if I created an alt and never returned to this account? I've wanted to create a new name since I signed up but don't want to bother them with the "let me change my name plzkthx" posts

X Pr3dat0R X on
  • killamajigkillamajig Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JamesDM wrote: »

I just find it funny that everything about your sig/av/etc. is a Futurama reference.

I'm just committing to the name i guess. Wouldn't seem right to jumble the pop-culture references. Don't get me wrong, it's still top 5.

killamajig on
    "Oh cruel fate...to be thusly boned...ask not for who the bone bones...it bones for thee."
    Killamajig and Scullykel999 on MTGO
    edited January 2009

I do.

Hooray for redemption :-)
    Would the mods be annoyed if I created an alt and never returned to this account? I've wanted to create a new name since I signed up but don't want to bother them with the "let me change my name plzkthx" posts

I guess you should probably just ask tube if he wants you to start a new account or if he should change your name.

JamesDM on

• Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    PatboyX wrote: »
    Sueve wrote: »
    i didnt know how to spell suave

Holy shit! Is this a prize thread?

I demand it be turned into one.

I do agree, that is perhaps the best method for coming up with a name I have seen.
    LCDXX wrote: »
    I fell in love with Anne Rice and marijuana, both, somewhere around junior high... I think it was 1992.

L = Lestat (<3)

CDXX is the roman numerical representation of "420". Something I don't typically like to flaunt, but then again I am a very big fan of pot. Though very seldom do I get to enjoy it these days.

Kinda generic, but still unique... It represents me without necessarily being another OLOL "potsmoker420" on Xbox Live.

Unfortunately, I have more than one "X" in my name so I am to be forever shunned by my PA brethren. :(

Credit for being subtle with your weed loving ways. (Don't worry, Im Canadian so I'm not judging)

I wouldn't worry too much about the multiple X's. As many people have posted on here, its not exactly uncommon. And while I do believe multiple X's to be a warning sign of stupidity, its not the only sign (there's lots!)

Which brings us to:

Too be honest, when I first saw your name I thought you were a youngin. Like 12. It didnt last long tho as your post (I cant remember what it even was about) did come off as being intelligent and not written with your dick hanging out of your pants. So while I did judge the book by its cover, the pages quickly gave me a paper cut for being judgmental.
    Your name was actually one of the reasons I made this thread. True story!

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
    edited January 2009

For real, I fully support this.

LCDXX

CDXX is perfect, I could not think of a better way to come across a point without seeming like an asshole,
    This would be my 2nd choice in the name prize giving.

JamesDM on

edited January 2009
    Spoilered for WOOOORDS
    Kris_xK wrote: »

I do agree, that is perhaps the best method for coming up with a name I have seen.
    LCDXX wrote: »
    I fell in love with Anne Rice and marijuana, both, somewhere around junior high... I think it was 1992.

L = Lestat (<3)

CDXX is the roman numerical representation of "420". Something I don't typically like to flaunt, but then again I am a very big fan of pot. Though very seldom do I get to enjoy it these days.

Kinda generic, but still unique... It represents me without necessarily being another OLOL "potsmoker420" on Xbox Live.

Unfortunately, I have more than one "X" in my name so I am to be forever shunned by my PA brethren. :(

Credit for being subtle with your weed loving ways. (Don't worry, Im Canadian so I'm not judging)

I wouldn't worry too much about the multiple X's. As many people have posted on here, its not exactly uncommon. And while I do believe multiple X's to be a warning sign of stupidity, its not the only sign (there's lots!)

Which brings us to:

Too be honest, when I first saw your name I thought you were a youngin. Like 12. It didnt last long tho as your post (I cant remember what it even was about) did come off as being intelligent and not written with your dick hanging out of your pants. So while I did judge the book by its cover, the pages quickly gave me a paper cut for being judgmental.
    Your name was actually one of the reasons I made this thread. True story!

In fairness, when I made the gamertag, I can't have been too much older than 12. When did Rainbow Six: Black Arrow come out?
    I've been considering changing my gamertag for the same reason: It's getting too old now. Hell, I'm getting too old for it now.

I'm glad it was enough to create a thread about though. It's achieved something before it's timely demise

X Pr3dat0R X on
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I used to be yoshi2188 after my birthday, but that was kinda lame, so I was thinking about names and came up with Alagor.

I kinda tired of it after a while and changed it to Tortalius, which I just kinda came up with randomly. Recently I wanted to try another name, and Tcheldor came to me sorta taking the Tc from the Hexer in Etrian Odyssey 1.

Conveniently I"ve only had to use numbers once since then, and that was because I think I was the original Alagor in something and forgot the password, so if you've seen those names somewhere online it's probably me.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It was originally Forever Zero, a really awesome skill that Lynx has in the really awesome game Chrono Cross.

But on the forums there's like a million people with Zero in their name, and lot's of people would be like, "blah blah blah zero," and it was annoying not knowing who they were talking to.

So I changed it to Forever Zefiro, because zefiro is basically Italian for zero. And Italy is a pretty cool place.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JamesDM wrote: »

I'm just committing to the name i guess. Wouldn't seem right to jumble the pop-culture references. Don't get me wrong, it's still top 5.

Man, you can break free. I'll never use a Chrono Cross avatar. I've pretty much always had ZOE stuff

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh, my Xbox live gamertag is WorldClassHack.

Yeah, I'm kind of groaning inwardly at that. At the time I was planing on registering a website and I thought that was clever, since I'm a journalist (commonly called 'hacks' over here in Blighty) and I'm obviously a world-class one... I liked the dichotomy between being a hack - a negative term - and announcing to everyone that I am great.

Anyway, I eventually realised that was actually really dumb, and dropped it. But not before I'd linked my MSN account to WorldClassHack as my gamertag. Bah.

Legba on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I like WorldClassHack. I also like Legba though, so whatever.

piL on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I picked my name because I love the idea of el Pollo Diablo from The Curse of Monkey Island, which is one of my very favorite games. It's not usually taken, either. I'll append a C to it when it's taken, but there's no significance to the letter.

I usually use TumTum in PC shooters. Named after that fat ninja from "3 Ninjas," a movie I liked as a kid. It's never taken, and I kind of like it.

Reznick, I remember seeing your "dbz_fan" barbarian. It's weird the things that people remember.

My pet peeve is capitalization. I'm never sure what's case sensitive or not, so it drives me crazy to have to pay attention to random capital letters.

edit:
    Monger wrote: »

I once played a a round of CS with a dude named "umop ap!sdn." Look at it for a minute.

Oh god, that's fantastic. I would be proud of myself if I had come up with that.

PolloDiablo on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Back in my classic Counter-Strike days, my brother changed my name from the usual (DarkPrimus) to "Craig T. Nelson". Comedy gold, let me tell you - never changed it back.

DarkPrimus on
    edited January 2009
    Probably one of the best names I've seen though was this guy I used to play Diablo II with.

He had a Barbarian that used Mace weapons, war clubs and such.

Maulibu Barbie

So ingenious.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mine's just a shortened version of the name I used all the time for Quake 2.

It was either this ("Seeker"... because, uh, I seek people) or "Inforcer". Which was just me being a dumbass at the time and not knowing how to spell, but now that I look at it, it seems inappropriate in a sorta funny way.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My name is uncreative.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My handle is very simple. Dusda is an anagram of my full name. Dustin Dahl becomes Dusda. I came up with it during the SWG beta, using some random name generator. It is a simple formula, using the first three of your first name and the first two of your last. I managed to get my domain name with the same name as well, which is pretty awesome since five character domains are a pain in the ass to get.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just watch Dee Snider's Strangeland, and wait for the party invite. D:

A bunch of us we're drinking and watching Strangeland and my best friend said that I would be Capt Howdy if I ever fully fucking lost it.

I think he's wrong though; I'm way to vain to fuck my face up like that.....

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well my name originally came from Zero from megaman as I was a big fan when I was younger. I kept the name for awhile and then spent a couple years on a sonic message board for a site called Sonic Verse Team. My girlfriend at the time was a bit of a japanophile and would always refer to Sonic as Sonikku, and eventually started referring to me on the boards as zerokku. While we don't keep in touch at all or anything the name just sort of stuck.

Zerokku on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dusda wrote: »
    My handle is very simple. Dusda is an anagram of my full name. Dustin Dahl becomes Dusda. I came up with it during the SWG beta, using some random name generator. It is a simple formula, using the first three of your first name and the first two of your last. I managed to get my domain name with the same name as well, which is pretty awesome since five character domains are a pain in the ass to get.

I don't think I'd be comfortable calling myself Wilte.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Willeth wrote: »

William...

Templeton, is that it? all i could think of.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
    edited January 2009
    Yorker wrote: »

William...

William Tell isn't the first thing that springs to mind?

Also, you seriously couldn't think of any other words/names in the English language that begin 'Te-'?
    Tea
    Teabag
    Tee
    Teller
    Terra
    Terry
    Tessle
    Tesla
    etc

X Pr3dat0R X on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think I like this name better than the one i used to use pre-2001. I was pretty much exclusively known as Mega Man X

NickTheNewbie on
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mine comes from the fact that when I was like 10 my name was assassin, soon after I realized I needed to change my name because that one was lame. I was playing redfaction one day and the main dudes name was 'Alias' and I was like well thats cool, but ultimately too common. So I added RF to the front. It stuck.

My alts are always RF or Kiriz (just made kiriz up, variants include Kyriz, Kiryz, etc...).

Everyone calls me R F (the letters), or alias. Some even use the latter IRL. Not sure why.....

Also, people that never see my name, or in WoW where I can't have capitals to do it right (RFAlias, in WoW its Rfalias) people say "ruffalias", which is annoying. Slurs include "Rough alias, roughanus" etc....

rfalias on
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was trying to come up with a new email-id when i saw a puddle of mud.
    My old email ID was slimshady.lp, where the lp stood for linkin park...
    I made it when I was thirteen and by the time I was fifteen I wanted to kill myself

Muddy Water on
  • YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

William...

Also, you seriously couldn't think of any other words/names in the English language that begin 'Te-'?
    Tea
    Teabag
    Tee
    Teller
    Terra
    Terry
    Tessle
    Tesla
    etc

No, not really.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
    edited January 2009

William...

Tea
    Teabag
    Tee
    Teller
    Terra
    Terry
    Tessle
    Tesla
    etc

No, not really.

Can't argue with that, then.

X Pr3dat0R X on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh, since I doubt she'll post in this thread. My wife is "AMadTeaParty". Both on XBL and the forums. I'm sure for some people its pretty obvious, and maybe for others its not.

Its just named after a chapter of Alice in Wonderland. You'd be surprised how many people don't get that. People in the Halo pregame lobbies thinking she must be a 4 year old little girl that has fake tea parties or something.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    Oh, since I doubt she'll post in this thread. My wife is "AMadTeaParty". Both on XBL and the forums. I'm sure for some people its pretty obvious, and maybe for others its not.

Its just named after a chapter of Alice in Wonderland. You'd be surprised how many people don't get that. People in the Halo pregame lobbies thinking she must be a 4 year old little girl that has fake tea parties or something.

That's when she can tell them:

"READ A BOOK!"

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

"READ A BOOK!"

I think she tried that once or twice, and was answered with, "Wait... I'm not being a jerk here, I'm just curious. Are you a girl? or a 12 year old boy?"

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I got it like, immediately, but I'm a huge Alice buff.

Mine comes from my cousin who nicknamed me Scooter in the womb, which has stuck for like, ever. This is just a varaition.

SkutSkut on
    edited January 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

"READ A BOOK!"

Or she can place the butt end of a bullet gun to their mandible with large amounts of kinetic energy

rfalias on
  • tellahsagetellahsage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really like Tellah from FFIV, and Ixthus (my XBL gamertag) is the proper name for the christian fish.

I judge people for their usernames alot if they're stupid like XxiSmOkePoT420xX or Madskillzlawl...I really think that sometimes if those people would not be allowed internet access I would be ok with the world a bit more. it's not that I hate pot or deny that guy's mad skills, but atleast be a little more humble about it.

tellahsage on
    Will Game for Food
    edited January 2009
    tellahsage wrote: »
    I really like Tellah from FFIV, and Ixthus (my XBL gamertag) is the proper name for the christian fish.

I judge people for their usernames alot if they're stupid like XxiSmOkePoT420xX or Madskillzlawl...I really think that sometimes if those people would not be allowed internet access I would be ok with the world a bit more. it's not that I hate pot or deny that guy's mad skills, but atleast be a little more humble about it.

I hate pot names.

NO ONE CARES "SmOkEyMCPot420lolbigbowlmanvaporizerpotgreenweedisgoodxxxZ" get a name change!

rfalias on