As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Christian Rock

124»

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I miss Uproar. It was a new festival that started in Kissimmee, and there won't be another one.

Five Iron Frenzy headlined, and Brave Saint Saturn opened(:lol:), along with around 20 or 30 other bands in between. All kinds of music.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The best Christian music is the stuff that you hear on normal radio stations and don't even realize it's Christian until 2 months later when you actually listen to the words. Likely because any Christian music good enough to not suck tends to be good enough to have mainstream appeal.

On the other side of the fence, you have radio frendly stuff with very anti religous themes that the general population doesn't ever seem to catch. I've known of several church going cats that have avoided me for my Danzig fandom, yet they think A Perfect Circle's Judith is a lovely wholesome tune.

redhalo on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The problem I have with most Christian rock is that it seems to be Christian first and rock second. Like instead of someone saying, "I think I'll play some rock! What to write about? Hmm, how about Jesus?" they said "I should totally do something Christian. Maybe I can do it while I strum a guitar in the background." As such, a lot of is pretty crappy.

Just to be fair, you run into this in a lot of music. There's rappers who want to be commercially successful, so they construct a gangster image that's completely inaccurate and inauthentic (jah rule's a good example of this). There's the pop and sometimes r&b "sensations" who are really just pretty girls that can be marketed easily and can sing ok (witness Lindsay Lohan and Scarlett Johansson's singing "careers, also Rihanna).

As far as I'm concerned if it's good music then it's good music. Worrying about a group's sincerity or authenticity can really just set you up for disappointment.

And if people like fluffy music because it's about Jesus, then more power to them. Everybody's entitled to their own silly opinions.

Project 86 rules!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6qN-HBH54o

Peen on
  • Options
    Matt_SMatt_S Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    No love for dc Talk?

I remember liking them back in HS, and will pop in "Supernatural" sometimes. Jars of Clay were also popular back in the day.

I used to be all about them back in middle school. In fact, I think I have their greatest hits CD laying around somewhere still.

Matt_S on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Christian Rock is a non sequitur.

There's a reason that guitar solos are known as "fret-wanking".

Gorak on
  • Options
    Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    mewithoutYou is ever-so-awesome and I hope more people listen to them because of this thread:
    Blindside has been one of my favorite bands since I was like, 15. This song, Shekina, is in Swedish and then translated to English. A lot less OMGmetalcore than their old stuff, and I love that their singer can sing and scream and sounds awesome either way. Plus violins in music like this always make me so happy. Alternatively, listen to their song "About A Burning Fire" which is totally rockin' and awesome:

The Juliana Theory...I consider them more pop-y than anything, but I like 'em:
    Noise Ratchet was one of my favorite bands in high school, I'd probably call them more screamo than anything but they are quite good (now defunct, but really nice guys and I thought their music was pretty good, I believe they were on tooth&nail)

Totally cheesy, but I love the band Dogwood just because they were my intro to having my own taste in music in middle school. It was the first thing I listened to that no one else in my family listened to first. I still think their music sounds pretty good, but the guy's voice is not my favorite:
    And Mae. Holy shit I love Mae...although I don't know that I'd call them rock. They are very melodic and they're all also really nice guys. I love their music so much. I did when I first heard it, and I still do. And I'd say they're one of those bands who happen to be Christians. In fact, their bassist told me at a concert that they don't consider themselves a Christian band, but that they all are Christians...they just don't TRY to write about it or not write about it.
    P.O.D., Living Sacrifice, As I Lay Dying and a few others I listened to a lot (or currently do listen to) have already been mentioned a lot.

One band I liked and didn't expect to was Caedmon's Call...they are folk music more than anything...they did this Indian-influenced album after a trip to India that was pretty different from their usual stuff I guess...I don't know. But I really liked the Indian influences on the album. Although, this one is pretty clearly Christian I think, in pretty much every way...so I could easily see why someone would dislike it.

And of course, Sufjan Stevens is one of the best musicians out there right now:

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    I had no idea so many of the bands mentioned in this thread were Christian... Mastodon, MxPx, As I Lay Dying, Evanescence and August Burns Red...

The more you know, I guess
    Might want to keep your skepticism up, as Mastodon definitely aren't xian. They may use some nebulous symbolism (wrong Leviathan), but their lyrics are moreso about myths, generally coming from a more polytheistic them.

Going back to something more along the OPs questions, one of the interesting (although still not exactly exciting) recent tangents of xian music is the American-centric rekindling of the "white metal" genre. While white metal (as a genre label) generally gave way to unblack metal in a retarded attempt at making a statement, the record label EEE has been a gathering ground for bands that are actually fit to be called white metal. Their style is essentially the combination of white noise and black metal, resulting in an extremely harsh sound that is nevertheless distinct from most black metal. Although xian themes run through most of these bands, I don't believe the lyrics (if there are any) stoop to church-pandering. The scene is small, and yet to produce much worthwhile material, but it's a rare, noticeable attempt at making unique music with xianity in mind. Aquarius Records are, strangely enough, pretty big into this stuff, which is why I ever found out about it in the first place.

The metal scene in general is not very hospitable for xian musicians. Overt themes and messages are not only seen as trite, as they would be in most music, but are often reviled. This means that xian metal is usually segregated, with artists either residing only in the religious market or downplaying/not focusing on their religion in their music. For instance, Drottnar are a pretty damn good technical black metal band (now) who used to have xian themes, but those were tossed aside in favour of political lyrics as they grew in skill and popularity. For whatever reason, very little xian metal is even decent, which helps reinforce its stigma.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    When I was in Jr. High and High School I listened to a lot of Christian music. In fact, I only listened to Christian music (which was just a personal choice, I never thought there was anything wrong with secular music).

When talking about Christian Music in general, I think it's important to differentiate Worship music from the other types. I am a Christian, and I really really dislike listening to 90% of worship music (I do enjoy singing it in Church though). The reason for that is because I feel it is very cheesy. I do think it's great to praise the Lord and thank God for Christ's love, but I feel that most of it is very poorly written and very little thought went into it.

The past 5 years or so I have listened to very little Christian music, but I occasionally go back and listen to my old CD's from the '90's, and realize how great some of that music was. I really like the bands and songs that make you think. Five Iron Frenzy was mentioned several times, and someone mentioned the lyrics from "Old West". I like it because it has influence from Jesus' teachings yet it makes me think how I and much of our culture live. It really makes me think "What would Jesus do?".

My favorite band of all time is a Christian band (brave Saint Saturn). I feel it's incredible music with moving and inspiration lyrics. I'll post some of my favorite songs now by Christian bands.

Brave Saint Saturn- Space Robot 5 (yes, that is where my name comes from)
    brave Saint Saturn, Space Robot 5

The Waiting, Never Dim
    The Waiting, Never Dim

I used to be a HUGE fan of ska.
    The OC Supertones, Little Man
    The OC Supertones, Little Man

I don't listen to very much Christian rock anymore, mostly because my music tastes have changed. But it's still fun to go back and listen to the stuff I listened to when I was younger.

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That entire Brave Saint Saturn album is good stuff, but I'm partial to Resistor.

What's with this 'xtian' classification? That's a new one.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ULTRAMURDERSAMULTRAMURDERSAM Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I liked DC Talk quite a bit in my younger days

ULTRAMURDERSAM on
    I HAVE BEEN BITTEN BY THE PARTY ANIMAL
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    That entire Brave Saint Saturn album is good stuff, but I'm partial to Resistor.

What's with this 'xtian' classification? That's a new one.

Xian or Xtian is just short for Christian. The greeks used X (chi) to abbreviate the name Christ.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I had no idea so many of the bands mentioned in this thread were Christian... Mastodon, MxPx, As I Lay Dying, Evanescence and August Burns Red...

The more you know, I guess
    Might want to keep your skepticism up, as Mastodon definitely aren't xian. They may use some nebulous symbolism (wrong Leviathan), but their lyrics are moreso about myths, generally coming from a more polytheistic them.

Going back to something more along the OPs questions, one of the interesting (although still not exactly exciting) recent tangents of xian music is the American-centric rekindling of the "white metal" genre. While white metal (as a genre label) generally gave way to unblack metal in a retarded attempt at making a statement, the record label EEE has been a gathering ground for bands that are actually fit to be called white metal. Their style is essentially the combination of white noise and black metal, resulting in an extremely harsh sound that is nevertheless distinct from most black metal. Although xian themes run through most of these bands, I don't believe the lyrics (if there are any) stoop to church-pandering. The scene is small, and yet to produce much worthwhile material, but it's a rare, noticeable attempt at making unique music with xianity in mind. Aquarius Records are, strangely enough, pretty big into this stuff, which is why I ever found out about it in the first place.

The metal scene in general is not very hospitable for xian musicians. Overt themes and messages are not only seen as trite, as they would be in most music, but are often reviled. This means that xian metal is usually segregated, with artists either residing only in the religious market or downplaying/not focusing on their religion in their music. For instance, Drottnar are a pretty damn good technical black metal band (now) who used to have xian themes, but those were tossed aside in favour of political lyrics as they grew in skill and popularity. For whatever reason, very little xian metal is even decent, which helps reinforce its stigma.

Well, the underground scene around here seems to completely disagree with you. Metal Christian bands play along side non-christian ones all the time, and normally seem to be accepted.

I will agree about the quality though, very few of the metal around here is decent, christian or not.

never die on
  • Options
    rad4Christrad4Christ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've heard quite a few say they remembered DC Talk, tis interesting to see so many wtill admit they liked them/had their albums. I was one of them, but they've since disbanded, and Toby Mac has the most successful career now, owning Gotee records (http://www.gotee.com/index.html) and his solo career. The other two formed bands or did solo stuff, but I don't know much of their current state. Tait was OK, but definitely not my tastes.

I too, came into the music scene in the early 90's. In fact, I was susbscribing to a west coast mag/cd mailer called "hUH Magazine", and after about 6 months one of my friends noticed a plethora of Christian bands mixied in. All from Tooth&Nail. "Galactic Cowboys", "Stavesacre", "dance House Children" (the Martin's first co-album), so much fond memories.

however, I'm interested in some more of the more fringe bands. I love Danielson, Morella's Forest, Element 101, Fine China, Pony Express, Brandtson, and of course, Pedro The Lion.

David Bazan's work is by far my favorite works, even if he blurs the lines sometimes. I'm not so sure of his personal faith commitment nowadays, but his early work on T&N and Jade Tree are amazing. Not because it always glorified God or anything, which I believe much did, but for its stark honesty of modern Christianity.

A few excerpts:

Secret of the Easy Yoke: A thoughtful approach to shallow ritual
    i could hear the church bells ringing
    they pealed aloud your praise
    the members faces were smiling
    with their hands out stretched to shake
    it's true they did not move me
    my heart was hard and tired
    their perfect fire annoyed me
    i could not find you anywhere

could someone please tell me the story
    of sinners ransomed from the fall
    i still have never seen you
    and some days i don't love you at all

the devoted were wearing bracelets
    to remind them why they came
    some concrete motivation
    when the abstract could not do the same
    but if all that's left is duty
    i'm falling on my sword
    at least then i would not serve
    an unseen distant lord

if this is ony a test
    i hope that i'm passing
    cause i'm losing steam
    and i still want to trust you

peace be still

Letter From A Concerned Follower: Our seeming obsession of marketing Christ and changing theology to suit society
    It's weird to think of all the things
    That have not been keeping up with the times
    It's ten o'clock the sun has just now
    Begun to set the western hills on fire

And I hear that you don't change
    How to you expect to keep up with the trends?
    You won't survive the information age
    Unless you plan to change the truth
    To accommodate the brilliance of men, the brilliance of men

Some folks think we're better now
    Social evolution's new synthetic will
    Will keep us on a straighter path
    As better men use brand new math
    With no wrong answers

I'm just a little bit worried
    Do you have some sort of plan?
    Have you been finally defeated
    By the cunning of these fully evolved men?

And I hear that you don't change
    How do you expect to keep up with the trends?
    You won't survive the information age
    Unless you plan to change the truth
    To accommodate the brilliance of men, the brilliance of men

Magazine: One of my favorites. Some people's over ability to be such pricks as to push their agendas so hard that the not only lose the opportunity to share the Message, they also succeed in pushing others away from all Christianity
    This line is metaphysical
    And on the one side, on the one side
    The bad half live in wickedness
    And on the other side, on the other side
    The good half live in arrogance
    And there's a steep slope
    With a short rope
    This line is metaphysical
    And there's a steady flow
    Moving to and fro

Oh, look you earned your wings
    Are you an angel, now
    Or a vulture
    Constantly hovering over
    Waiting for the big mistake

Oh, my God, what have I done?
    Oh, my God, what have I done?

Wouldn't you love to be
    On the cover of a magazine?
    Healthy skin, perfect teeth
    Designed to hide what lies beneath

I feel the darkness growing stronger
    As you cram light down my throat
    How does that work out for you
    In your holy quest to be above reproach?

Foregone Conclusions: Another commentary on our ability to completely disregard the person we are trying to show love to by forcing that "love" in their face.
    i don't want to believe that all of the above is true
    but i could be persuaded if you were to give me proof
    why don't you come over Thursday maybe we can talk it through
    as if some new information were possible to comprehend or introduce
    after all you and i are nothing more than foregone conclusions
    you were to busy steering the conversation toward the lord
    to hear the voice of the spirit begging you to shut the fuck up
    you thought it must be the devil trying to make you go astray
    besides it couldn't have been the lord because you don't believe he talks that way
    too close to call yet
    still so tightly wound around our foregone conclusions

And last, but certainly not least, the song I feel shows the Grace and Love of God in a way I've not seen more perfectly spoken.

Diamond Ring
    you said that you would not love me last summer
    and you said that you would not love me last spring
    but i hoped that you would change your mind by autumn
    especially when i bought that diamond ring
    but you still said no
    you would not have me
    you still said no, no, no

i heard that you've been sleeping with your old friends
    and i heard when each one left, and broke your heart
    i told you then that i would never leave you
    i told you that i loved you from the start
    you still said no
    you wouldn't have me

even though you haven't any answers
    you still think that you don't need anyone
    to save you from the mess that you've created
    and even when i gave my only Son
    you still said no
    you wouldn't have me

rad4Christ on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In my mind, a lot of the more interesting stuff that came out of Christian music during the time I was listening to it was because of Christian music's outsider status---before "Flood" became a minor hit
    So, I guess you could say that the bands before then were "Antediluvian"?

GungHo on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can stand The Kry, Switchfoot, and Casting Crowns, but that's about it for Christian Rock. And The Kry is more Christian Pop, I'd say.

The rest, I dunno... I think it's more the "we're writing Christian music that is in the Rock genre" rather than "We're writing rock music that has Christian lyrics" that I can't get over.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    I liked one of Starflyer 59's songs, but purged it from my ipod when I found out they were a Christian band. I guess that's how I roll.

I will always celebrate Norman Greenbaum's Spirit in the Sky though. It's magnificently over the top.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    McViking wrote: »
    I really don't see anything wrong with the acculturation of modern music and Christianity (or Buddhism or Islam or Harry-Potterism) . If someone wants to you use power chords and rock beats, and sing about something that they're passionate about, then isn't that what music is all about: expression?

The whack jobs who ran my very-Christian high school would heartily disagree. I vividly remember several school assemblies dedicated to the dangers of so-called-Christian rock music. There was one preacher who described rock and roll as "sex-in-the-back-of-a-car music". Can you have "Christian-sex-in-the-back-of-a-car music"? I think not! (Sadly, that was actually his argument. I can't make up stuff that crazy.) I think it was the same guy who argued that rock beats come from syncopated african music, which was designed to drive people into demonic frenzies, and therefore Christian rock is an oxymoron. Devil masquerading as an angel of light and all that.

The choir director also quit when the board decided that it would be OK if girls wore pants. But that's another story.

The private school I went to during my elementary years were like this too. All Southern Gospel music, all the time. They also strictly believed in reading the King James Bible, anything else like the New Internation Version and other versions were shunned with extreme prejudice.

There were summers when there would be a get together and the youth would bring all their devil's music and there would be a burning. We'd go out in a field, pile up all the music, and then set it on fire with some gasoline. Then a few months later they did a non-King James Version bible book burning, which is pretty crazy.

I dislike pop punk/rock Christian bands like Reliant K, in fact, I dislike a lot of pop x bands that have risen for the past 5 years or so.

My favorite bands are gonna have to be Underoath, Haste the Day, and Destroy the Runner. Underoath's last two albums have been excellent.

A band that doesn't really label themselves as "Christian" but have extreme Christian influences (the vocalist/lyricist and I think the bassist are Christians) have to be Thrice. This is my most favorite band of all time. Not all of their songs have to do with Christianity, but there are quite a few. The vocalist takes inspiration from the Bible, C.S. Lewis, and other writers/books.

This isn't their best song, but it has a strong representation of some of the members' faith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWhE3KlwR40

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I liked one of Starflyer 59's songs, but purged it from my ipod when I found out they were a Christian band. I guess that's how I roll.

Really? Hahah. That'll teach those bastards!! :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am not really into any certain kind of music. But I did "grow up" on Christian Rock as a kid. Mostly stuff from the aforementioned Tooth and Nail label. My personal favorites were Five Iron Frenzy, The O.C. Supertones, and MxPx. I also consider Switchfoot one of my favorite bands and they have a really swell live show. You know how most bands sound overproduced and when you see them live they sound "off" compared to their CD? Switchfoot manages to sound just as smoothed out as their recording, only better, because it's Live. I've seen them twice, and the second time they were playing at a festival downtown and part of the stage fell and DESTROYED their guitars. Instead of being Divas and throwing a fit and leaving, they were calm and were going to go out and buy new Guitars, but Mississippi Music gave them all replacements of what they were used to gratis just for mentioning their name on stage. Pretty cool.

Anyway, my personal favorite right now is House of Heroes. I have been told by PA people that they are awful and I should be ashamed, but I really dig their sound and think they're one of the more important Christian Rock bands around.

House of Heroes:

Ludious on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »

Really? Hahah. That'll teach those bastards!! :P

For serious. Now maybe they'll think twice before giving a shout-out to the Man Up There.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png