As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Inaug YOUR ation

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Someone keep me up to date on hangouts please.

Sheri on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    These are some pretty stunning pics.

I like this one, it is chuckle-worthy. The man in the middle is pissed that he didn't get to speak, as we all learned later on:
    petesouza488069.jpg
    Backstage with his family before his announcement.

And he won't be able to do this anymore:
    petesouza488046.jpg
    In Kibera, the largest slum in Africa.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Those photos are so awesome.

The one where he is at the end of the row with George Bush is mesmerizing in a way.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I came.

Weaver on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I saw those obama dinner plates at bed bath & beyond for 20 dollars each

the opportunity to eat off his face was almost too enticing

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey so I got pinkeye and forgot to keep up with this thread, but I guess NAS, Kaltorrak, Evander, Javen, Sheri, Lostwords, and Bits are all going to be in DC around inauguration time, even if not everyone is going to the event itself?

I'd like it if we could do a hangout, but Kovak and I will be attending the Staff Ball on the 21st, and I can only imagine that I will be engaged in some kind of drunken shenanigans with my former campaign coworkers on the 20th, so it would probably be better if we could do something on the 19th.

Recommendations from any of the native DCers?

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I guess we're actually staying a ways out of the city, but we have Marc passes, whatever the hell that means

We get into the city around 1ish, and will probably drop our stuff off straight away. Hangouts would be rad, though.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    So I guess we're actually staying a ways out of the city, but we have Marc passes, whatever the hell that means

We get into the city around 1ish, and will probably drop our stuff off straight away. Hangouts would be rad, though.

Yeah Kovak and I get in to Baltimore at 5PM EST, and I guess we'll be heading into DC by train or something, unless anyone is particularly interested in picking us up, so we wouldn't be showing up until evening.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Recommendations from any of the native DCers?

I'll be happy to help organize, but honestly, I don't get out to all of the exciting spots (I hang out at places like gamestop, or on-campus bar) so some one else might have better suggestions.

I guess the thing we need to know is whereabouts people are staying, and what kind of transportation is available to them (public, private, etc.) so that myself, or some one else, can figure out what is in a good general vicinity of everyone else.

Also, considering the fact that any bar or restaurant is going to be absolutely packed that weekend, if anyone has space at their own place for people to hang out, that might be a good alternative (I'd offer my own, but I live with my parents currently, who aren't too keen on me having over a bunch of internet weirdos.)

Evander on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I will be there in the sense that I live there.

If you actually want to get a spot somewhere along the parade path or on the mall, they are saying you need to be there first thing in the morning.

I have a tiny one bedroom apartment that can barely fit myself and Leanna in, but I would not be against going out to eat somewhere.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Usagi wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    GRMike wrote: »
    But did you come to my house? My house isn't even Texas. I have seceded from the Union.

see, the last time I went to Texas I saw no less than three cars and one airplane on fire

it does not bode well for me visiting again
    dammit i've been stuck in texas for almost a goddamn decade and I never got to see an airplane on fire.

it was like some cosmic confluence to warn me away

it didn't help that everywhere I went all I heard was "Yer not from around here, are ya honey?", though I get that whenever I travel in any part of the South

"What tipped you off? My accent, or the fact that I have all of my teeth?"

Ruckus on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ruckus wrote: »
    But did you come to my house? My house isn't even Texas. I have seceded from the Union.

see, the last time I went to Texas I saw no less than three cars and one airplane on fire

dammit i've been stuck in texas for almost a goddamn decade and I never got to see an airplane on fire.

it didn't help that everywhere I went all I heard was "Yer not from around here, are ya honey?", though I get that whenever I travel in any part of the South

that and I ordered a Coke and was surprised by the response "What kind?"

uh, the brown kind?

Usagi on
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So the President's lunch thing Obama organised seemed totally non-awkward. Who wouldn't have loved to sit in on that.
    After the press conference Bill Clinton commented on how much he "loved this rug" in the office

ascot on
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    my attendance is still tentative but I wouldn't be in the DC area until the 20th, and I would be staying with a friend in silver spring

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So uh... Obama's choice for top Justice posts is kind of, shall we say, intensely infuriating.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    team of rivals, callius

as in, everyone on his team (except for him)

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    team of rivals, callius

as in, everyone on his team (except for him)
    That logic is beginning to sound a bit suspicious when his entire team has one unifying agenda amongst themselves, as opposed to a discordant set of voices.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I wanted a chocolate hopesicle, but all I've got so far is some imitation, Lean Cuisine low-fat hopegurt

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You know there are stores now that just sell Obama shit

It's fucking disgusting

You people disgust me

edit: I'll give you guys suggestions on what to do but I don't know how long you're going to be here after the inauguration. It also depends on how long everyone ELSE is going to stick around.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    fuck you, buddy

I was buying books on campus yesterday and saw "HOPE" and "CHANGE" refridgerator magnets

but this school is staunchly republican

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I was in Union Station the other day and I believe I saw like 5 life size cardboard standouts of Obama(And one of Biden!) to my right, so I turn to check out the store and oh my sweet christ. Hope! Change! Buy our shit!

In all fairness I think that store has been there long before this and just sold other hokey AMERICA! stuff.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Callius, want to get in on a three-way?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Callius wrote: »
    So uh... Obama's choice for top Justice posts is kind of, shall we say, intensely infuriating.

What, you mean Holder?

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    And what's all this shit about "tickets"

You don't need a damn ticket to get into a CITY

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

do you have any idea what is going on at this event?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    20 bucks says he nukes a foreign country before his term ends.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

What, you mean Holder?

I was referring, in this instance, to Perrelli and Ogden.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »

A bunch of stuff over the week. I'm just assuming most people want to see the parade/swearing/speech

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited January 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »

A bunch of stuff over the week. I'm just assuming most people want to see the parade/swearing/speech

The actual ceremony and related events require a ticket. That's what people are talking about tickets for.

That doesn't have anything to do with getting into the city.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    How close do the tickets get you. I assumed those were just for like, really good viewing.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

What, you mean Holder?

As far as I know, Obama never made a single campaign promise about expanding the ability of people to pirate music. 'Cause, you know, that would be retarded. I'm pretty sure he never even said anything about reducing Copyright length or breadth. He made promises about things like Net Neutrality, and I don't really see any conflict of interest there. If anything, these guys clearly have taken on ISPs before, so wouldn't they be qualified for such a purpose?

Yeah, it might chap our asses, but at the end of the day it's not really inconsistent with anything he promised, and piracy is also illegal. Do I think Obama's Justice Department is going to start suing everybody with a bitTorrent client? No, I don't. They have bigger shit to worry about, like reestablishing habeas corpus. And Obama himself has never indicated any particular interest in aggressively pursuing the interests of the RIAA or anyone else.

This is what irks me about the nominating process; we know next to nothing about these guys except one tiny tidbit of information that -- while hardly damning and certainly not something that jeopardizes their qualifications for a job that will deal with far larger issues most of the time -- rubs us the wrong way not because of anything Obama promised, but because it is personally inconvenient, and so we are "infuriated" with Obama for choosing people who we are completely incapable of fully judging without a hell of a lot more information.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

uh, the brown kind?

Yeah, that always seemed extra retarded to me. saying "pop" is one thing, but calling every kind of soda "Coke"? What would be the proper way to order an actual Coke down there, I wonder?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I had always thought that sanjay gupta was very apolitical, but apparently he was in the Clinton administration

whaddaya know, I guess

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited January 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

uh, the brown kind?

Yeah, that always seemed extra retarded to me. saying "pop" is one thing, but calling every kind of soda "Coke"? What would be the proper way to order an actual Coke down there, I wonder?

new coke

Evander on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

uh, the brown kind?

I believe its "cola", from what i remember of the Cracker Barrel I ate at in the Carolinas...

LTM on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    smalldrawn.gif

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    As far as I know, Obama never made a single campaign promise about expanding the ability of people to pirate music. 'Cause, you know, that would be retarded. I'm pretty sure he never even said anything about reducing Copyright length or breadth. He made promises about things like Net Neutrality, and I don't really see any conflict of interest there. If anything, these guys clearly have taken on ISPs before, so wouldn't they be qualified for such a purpose?

Yeah, it might chap our asses, but at the end of the day it's not really inconsistent with anything he promised, and piracy is also illegal. Do I think Obama's Justice Department is going to start suing everybody with a bitTorrent client? No, I don't. They have bigger shit to worry about, like reestablishing habeas corpus. And Obama himself has never indicated any particular interest in aggressively pursuing the interests of the RIAA or anyone else.

This is what irks me about the nominating process; we know next to nothing about these guys except one tiny tidbit of information that -- while hardly damning and certainly not something that jeopardizes their qualifications for a job that will deal with far larger issues most of the time -- rubs us the wrong way not because of anything Obama promised, but because it is personally inconvenient, and so we are "infuriated" with Obama for choosing people who we are completely incapable of fully judging without a hell of a lot more information.
    Except one of the things which this douchebag tried to defend was basically warrantless searches of networks.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

What, you mean Holder?

They are RIAA LAWYERS. these are people who have sought lawsuits on elderly and people who are not file sharers. These are not the people we need in office.

http://www.betanews.com/article/RIAA_Sues_Deceased_Grandmother/1107532260

Viscountalpha on
This discussion has been closed.