As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

keyboard types french characters in Firefox

acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin InstitutionalizedSafe in jail.Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So here's a fun one. . .

after a fresh reboot my keyboard types just fine, but after awhile it'll get stuck being set to the french-english keyboard, but only in firefox.

for example, when I go to question mark it comes up as : É
if I want apostrophe I get some weird backwards one like so : `
quotes don't actually do anything unless I hit it twice, then it looks like ``

it'll work fine in everything except for firefox, and rebooting it seems to help for a little while.

If it helps its a saitek eclipse 1 keyboard and I'm on vista 64bit. . .

HALP!

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
acidlacedpenguin on

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This happens to me sometimes, with my regular built in laptop keyboard. I use vista 32 bit. Same character switches.
    Except i also remember it affecting me while playing wow.

Al_wat on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When you say reboot you just mean a reset of the computer yes?
    Have you tried reinstalling firefox? Have you tried any other browsers?
    Installed anything strange lately that could contribute? If not I'd run some stuff like Spybot and Adaware, because perhaps something else is installing things hmm.

Edit: and what's that one bastard one that shows all the processes and what not? Fuck, Defender? I feel like that might contribute. I mean if it's switching back and forth it shouldn't be some setting you've accidently hit, in my mind anyway.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That's crazy.

It sounds like somehow you are changing the keyboard input language to French and this is linked to your usage of Firefox. You can check out the various keyboard input languages by going to Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> select the Keyboards and Languages tab -> click the Change Keyboards button. Maybe you're somehow triggering the hotkey combination to switch languages, or triggering the change through the language bar somehow?

Djeet on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This happens to me from time to time with my laptop. My roomie and I finally figured out what was going on.

Press and hold the left Ctrl key and tap the right Shift key. If that doesn't fix it, do it again. And again. I find that there are about three languages my keyboard knows and cycles through when doing this. Just keep cycling until you get back to English.

I suppose the combination might be different on other machines, but it's worth a shot, no?

LaOs on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ÉÉ?

Nice! That does fix it! Nice work LaOs.

Al_wat on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    AHA! thanks a ton, that must be exactly it. . . I had some of my foobar controls set to ctrl+shift+something and out of convenience sometimes I'd use right shift. . .

I just finished the acadian expulsion. . . I removed those languages from my languages list

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Al_wat wrote: »
    ÉÉ?

Nice! That does fix it! Nice work LaOs.

My roommate stumbled upon it, kind of, and I followed up with it to actually figure out that that was indeed what was happening. I find I accidentally slip into the French now and then and just cycle through until it fixes itself.

You're welcome, team! :P

[Edit]
    Those Acadians always got shat on. :(

LaOs on
  • ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's Lctrl+Lshift in WoW iirc.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down