As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Red Mars, Game Over, Abydos safe! But at what cost.............

MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
RedMars.jpg

This is Red Mars Phalla.

Rules and regulations
Standard rules of Phalla apply:
  • No anonymous messages between players. If you communicate through IM or email, make sure the other person knows who you are.
  • If you set up a proboard or other means of communicating with each other, PM the URL to me.
  • Once you are eliminated, no more posting in the thread and no communication with players about the game (one "oooo" dead post allowed).

Voting should be done in !red and retractions should be done in !lime. Retractions are not required but are highly recommended.

Vote will close at 9 PM PST. Votes must be stamped 8:59 or earlier in order to count for that night. Any votes made between vote close and narration will not be considered valid. Please do not expect an instant narration - I will try to make sure it is up within an hour at the most.

Orders to use your powers need to be PM'd to me before vote close (stamped 8:59 or earlier).

You may PM me with any questions or make a public clarification request in orange, which I may or may not answer.

Activity

Activity will be expected and required. Players who do not vote for two nights in a row will get a warning. Players who do not vote for three nights in a row will be replaced by a reserve. If there are no reserves available, the player will be eliminated. If you know you will not be able to meet the activity requirement please let me know and I can find someone to replace you! I reserve the right to warn anyone I think is not participating enough :P

Disclaimer: This is the first Phalla I've ever run. Mistakes will probably be made and delays will probably happen. Please be nice!

PLAYER LIST

1. gundam470 - Colonist
2. ProPatriaMori - Red saboteur - took a walk
3. chamberlain - Phyllis - dead
4. Gosling - Ursula - took a walk
5. Zandracon - Colonist - took a walk
6. Cantide - TransNat spy - took a walk
7. HamHamJ - Red saboteur - dead
8. Dac Vin - Colonist - was gonna walk but, dead
9. enlightenedbum - Frank - dead
10. Doxa - Red saboteur - took a walk
11. oldmanken - Colonist
12. Picardthon - Colonist - dead
13. visiblehowl - Maya - dead
14. Aegis - TransNat spy - dead
15. RocketSauce - TransNat spy - dead
16. JebusUD - Nadia
17. [strike]ElementBrian[/strike] deke55555 - Colonist - dead
18. kime - Colonist - dead
19. Kilroy - Arkady - dead
20. DasUberEdward - Colonist - dead
21. Zek - Colonist - dead
22. Wildcat - Colonist
23. Malkor - Ann - took a walk
24. Speaker - Colonist - took a walk
25.[strike] Kagera[/strike] Exarch
26. Smurph
27. Look Out It's Sabs! - Colonist - dead
28. LaOs - Colonist - dead
29. Oats - John Boone - dead
30. Shorn Scrotum Man - Hiroko
31. Raiden333 - Colonist - took a walk
32. precisionk - Colonist - took a walk
33. Drez - Sax - dead
34. MagicPrime - Coyote
35. Hakkekage - TransNat spy - dead
36. [strike]Senjutsu[/strike] Elldren
37. Elendil - Vlad - dead
38. Casual Eddy - Marina
39. Jason Todd - Michel
40. warban - Colonist - dead

Reserves:

1. [strike]Exarch[/strike]
2. [strike]Elldren[/strike]
3. [strike]deke55555[/strike]

5:50 PM PST: All PM's are sent out. Please let me know if you didn't get one.

Colonist PM received by everyone:
Medopine wrote:
You are a Martian colonist. A tent city dweller, you’re now caught in the middle of the Martian revolution. Sabotage and outright assaults against cities and towns all over the planet have left you scared and confused. And now your little corner of Mars is under attack. The First 100 may be the most well known people on the planet, but at this point you’ve got to take matters into your own hands…

Eliminating the Reds and TransNats is the only way to ensure peace returns to the colony. Each night the colony will meet to discuss who should be sent out of the lock in a walker. Luckily you have a big supply of those.

Clarifications:
  • Everyone got a colonist PM.
  • Ties are broken randomly.
  • Order of narration events is designed for flavor and drama reasons, and doesn't reflect the order of game mechanics.
  • No I will not tell you how many First Hundred roles there are.

Narration/Results:

Night 1
Night 2
Night 3
Night 4
Night 5

Night 7

Medopine on

• MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009

Opening Narration
    "Well, here we are."

John Boone leaned back in his chair and let his gaze slide around the room. A meeting area in the basement of the hospital, it was filled with people, both those who resided in the tent city of Abydos, and those who had recently arrived there in the wake of destruction and uncertainty elsewhere around the planet. Several of the faces looking back at him belonged to members of the First Hundred.

Maya Toitovna pushed her lips together in a tight frown. Behind her, Frank Chalmers sat with one hand clasped over his mouth, massaging his jaw.

"Yes, here we are. Now what are we going to do?" Maya said.

"I'm not sure we need to do anything," Nadia Chernyshevski replied. "This canyon is fairly remote - at least we're not near any moholes or the space elevator. I don't know why anyone would bother us here." She looked at John.

"Well it's no secret that he's here," Frank said, nodding his head towards John. "And they'll be looking for him. In fact, they'll probably be looking for all of us."

A slight murmur snaked through the room as colonists shifted their weight, glancing at the more famous members of the group.

"I asked everyone to be here for a reason," John said. "I'm sorry if that brings extra risk to Abydos, but this is a time when we need to work together, to understand-"

"Understand what?" Arkady Bogdanov interjected. "I understand what's happening here. The delicate balance of the transnational corporation's puppetry on Mars is coming to an end. The people here are sick and tired of living under rules they have no say in. And everyone's using this moment to cry out and destroy and kill for their own cause. 'Working together' in this little town isn't going to change much of that."

Sighing, John watched the room, waiting to see if anyone else would join in.

"You may be right, Arkady," Nadia said. "But at least now we know our friends are safe. And maybe that's important, to some of us."

"It's important to me," Maya added. "So is staying alive."

"Look," Frank said. "We can't pretend that the fate of Mars depends on what we, our little group of Mars elders, think. But it would be stupid to think that we don't have a position from which we can help dictate how Mars is shaped, or at least influence the various factions into reaching an agreeement. We're all diplomats..."

"No Frank, you're a diplomat," Nadia said. "I'm an engineer."

"Regardless, we're well known. We've been on this planet longer than anyone else. And now we're here, and we're in the middle of the biggest change in the history of human life on Mars. We might as well think about that while we try to stay alive."

A silence settled over the room. Several colonists turned their faces to John, waiting. But before he could begin to reply, Ann Clayborne did.

"I'm sure it's very nice to see everyone again, but if we're going to talk about the future of Mars, I wonder if it's going to be a full conversation. I wonder if all viewpoints will really be considered." She shot a glance at Sax Russell, who sat quietly next to Maya, blinking behind his spectacles. "And I'm not sure that this whole thing won't be solved without more violence. Maybe it's the only way."

"It can't be," John said. "There has to be something we can do to ease through the revolution, to prevent more death and destruction."

A soft voice spoke up from near the door of the room.

"Some of us still don't know where our friends are," Michel Duval said. "I got a message to Hiroko to come here, but she's still missing. And Ursula and Marina are worried about Vlad...can't we make sure the city is safe from sabotage or attack and find our friends before we get...philosophical?"

Several people opened their mouth to reply, but were cut off by the loud beeping of John's wristcom. Phyllis Boyle appeared on the tiny screen, her image grainy.

"John, are you there? This is Phyllis. Please reply."

"Yes Phyllis, I'm here," John said, looking up at Frank. Frank glared, putting one finger to his lips.

"John, we know where you are. We know you're hiding out with Maya and Frank, possibly others. We need you to make a statement - a planetwide one. We need to you tell everyone to stop resisting our control."

"Phyllis, I-" John began, but the image flickered and went out. Within seconds, the lights in the room followed suit, darkening the room for several seconds before the hum of the hospital's local generator rang out. The room exploded in frightened talk.

Before anyone could start asking real questions, the image reappeared on John's wrist. Phyllis's shrill voice silenced the crowd.

"John, please don't think we're trying to hurt you. That was only a little demonstration to show we know where you are. Now if you can get some of the others with you to cooperate, maybe tell us where Arkady or Ann are-"

Arkady slapped John's wrist, ending the message. "Turn that thing off," he shouted. "She doesn't want to help. She wants complete control. And she's already sent TransNat spies and soldiers, no doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if they were already here!"

The doorway was suddenly filled with the slight frame of the city's main water engineer, who appeared to have run down to the basement, as he was almost out of breath.

"Nearly...destroyed...main water pump," he gasped, pausing a moment before speaking again. "Someone tried to sabotage it with explosives. Luckily it was only a crude design and we came across it in time to disarm it, but I think it was meant to be detonated from short range."

Arkady slumped back down into his seat, gesturing toward the breathless messenger. All eyes rested on John, but it was Frank that spoke first.

"Michel is right. Let's make sure our friends and this city are safe. And if there are TransNat plants here, we'd better find them. Phyllis's little trick from Phobos was cute, but they'll be the real hand of power down here."

"There must be an open dialogue about all this," John said, "But we can't accept a viewpoint that relies on sabotage as a means to an end. Not with the lives of those in this city at stake."

"And again, what are we supposed to do?" Maya cried out. "Aside from seeking out these spies on our own." She clapped her hands down on her knees in frustration.

"No one should be taking matters into their own hands," John said. "We'll decide together. Everyone gets a say, and all opinions are welcome."

Some of the people in the crowd started to nod their heads. Arkady scowled. Nadia sighed.

"For right now, I think going home and resting is probably the best idea. Let's try to stay safe and stick together. I propose we meet back here tomorrow night to talk. Everyone agree?"

A vague chorus of "yes" answered his question. As everyone started to file out of the room, Ann looked up, first at Sax, then at John.

"You know this probably won't work, right?" she said.

"Shikata ga nai," said Michel. "It's all we can do."

The Martian tent city of Abydos is under attack! Not only has your city been threatened by the TransNats, but saboteurs appear to be on the loose as well. Each night you will meet as a group to decide whose presence can no longer be tolerated within the canyon walls of your city, and they will be given a walker and enough air to walk to the next town.

Only once the threats from within have been eliminated will Abydos be able to move forward as part of the new Mars...

The first day will end at 9PM PST Thursday, 1/8/09. Good luck...

Medopine on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Woot woot lets get this hoedown started.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gosling is never a special, so let's vote for him. :P

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Whoooo

RNG sez: !visiblehowl

Elendil on
  • Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    no obbi

who the hell am i supposed to vote for

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Crap now I have to read the rules and errything

damn

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Who killed me in the last zombie one? Was that Doxa?

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yes, let's get started.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited January 2009
    Frog kitty orgy commence 1, 2 ,3!

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rock on.

Speaker on
    edited January 2009
    Just FYI I was looking through my photobucket while Hakks was setting hers up. Had no idea she was changing to el froggo.

Drez on
    edited January 2009
    Ok, nevermind, I pick one of the frog kitties as their identical avatars are going to confuse the fuck out of me.

enlightenedbum on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Drez wrote: »
    Just FYI I was looking through my photobucket while Hakks was setting hers up. Had no idea she was changing to el froggo.
    THIS IS THE BEST

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No. That was enlightenedbum

I had the bomb. BOOM. THREE DEAD. WOOHWOOHWOOH! Suckit

Doxa on
    edited January 2009
    I think we should start by eliminating two of the three frog cats.

Speaker on
    edited January 2009
    !vote enlightenedbum before he gets me.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    edited January 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    I think we should start by eliminating two of the three frog cats.

Hi5.

enlightenedbum on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh god, not the froggy kitty

!visiblehowl !Look Out it's Sabs AND Drez and Hakkekage I guess

But not really I adore the froggy kitty !Look Out it's Sabs Drez Hakkekage

Elendil on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    arnold-total-recall.jpg

Mars phalla, go!

chamberlain on
    edited January 2009
    Doxa wrote: »

To be fair, I think you picked kime.

enlightenedbum on
    edited January 2009
    !Doxa isn't acting suspicious. Bitch must be eeeeeeeeeeeevil.

Drez on
  • DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Doxa wrote: »

To be fair, I think you picked kime.

Lets not play the blame game but...
    nuh-uh he did it

Doxa on
    edited January 2009
    Phyllis!!

*shakes fist*

Speaker on
  • ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Can we not just kill Maya? That'd do a hell of a lot more good than killing anybody else.

ProPatriaMori on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Random number generator turn, turn turn. Tell us the player that we should burn...

!Zandracon

Kilroy on
    edited January 2009
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Random number generator turn, turn turn. Tell us the player that we should burn...

!Zandracon

You could have at least called it the wheel of immorality.

enlightenedbum on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    !Warban for bandwagoning me in the other thread.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You could have at least called it the wheel of immorality.

The RNG is a merciless and unpredictable god and I would not dare insult it with false names.

Kilroy on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    RNG says:
    !precisionk

Zandracon on
    edited January 2009
    Those two posts being back to back really amuse me.

enlightenedbum on
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Having everyone vote by RNG would make this day far more entertaining.
    Mine is coming up with !chamberlain

Picardathon on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    RNG says: !chamberlain

Well, that's somewhat unlucky...

oldmanken on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When on Mars, vote as the Martians do.

RNG says !Dac Vin

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Can we not just kill Maya? That'd do a hell of a lot more good than killing anybody else.

Hey, hold on now. Who would everyone have sex with then? Clearly you haven't thought this through so I choose !ProPatriaMori

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My RNG says Doxa. Totally didn't think he was the type to get voted on by me on the first day, but such is life.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Aegis wrote: »

Hey, hold on now. Who would everyone have sex with then? Clearly you haven't thought this through so I choose !ProPatriaMori

What, didn't you read the books? Everyone was having sex with everyone else. You don't need the basketcase there.

ProPatriaMori on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

What, didn't you read the books? Everyone was having sex with everyone else. You don't need the basketcase there.

Yes, but all their sex was boring. Maya's the only one where having a relationship with her meant something interesting could happen to you!

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited January 2009

Yes, but all their sex was boring. Maya's the only one where having a relationship with her meant something interesting could happen to you!

Only for those values of "interesting" that equate to "fatal".

ProPatriaMori on
    edited January 2009

Only for those values of "interesting" that equate to "fatal".

Heightens the pleasure to know that your life is on the line, obviously.

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited January 2009
    Nadia was by far the more worthwhile lay.

ProPatriaMori on