As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Banished Words 2009 - It's That Time of Year Again

13»

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bogart wrote: »
    It means something of great wickedness, a huge affront to morality. Common usage has seen it start to mean the same thing as enormousness, which is wrong but one of those things that happens anyway because people are terrible. I think Obama used it wrongly in his acceptance speech.

I realise that language changes over time and meanings shift but enormity is a perfectly useful word that shouldn't be co-opted into meaning something else just because people are dumb and don't know what it actually means.

3. Excess in magnitude; hugeness, vastness.

This definition has been floating around since around 1792 according to the Oxford English Dictionary. You may have missed that battle. It is still, however, important to know all the definitions of the word and the context it carries.

Looks like blatant shifted to be more than just sound based around 1889, if you were curious.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Y'know, I'm still confused on the "monkey" thing. The article says:
    Internet and texting blues -MONKEY – "Especially on the Internet, many people seem to think they can make any boring name sound more attractive just by adding the word 'monkey' to it. Do a search to find the latest. It is no longer funny." Rogier Landman, Somerville, Mass.

I don't think this is referring to the use as a suffix indicating a menial laborer in some field. It sounds like Mr. Landman is complaining about, say, screen names or startup businesses or something like that. But... I haven't really noticed a plague of names ending in "monkey".

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There is a store by my house called Wireless Monkey. It's rather annoying, but I wouldn't call it a bannable offense.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    But I like not so much.

moniker on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    :3 is a dude with a mustache

Medopine on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    Bedlam wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    They banned "monkey"? How can you ban an animal?
    only negative monkeys, possitive monkeys are still allowed.

Lucky for me, really.

Oh, and can we get rid of "literally"? I'm willing to sacrifice using it entirely if only I can stop the bastards that use it as an intensifier.

"I was out until literally three o' clock last night. It was literally wicked. I literally had six blue WKDs, and they are literally delicious."

Are they?

Are they really?

You're literally boring me to death.
    The way Feral used it is actually a much better example of the problem with "literally."

Yar on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yar wrote: »

Lucky for me, really.

Oh, and can we get rid of "literally"? I'm willing to sacrifice using it entirely if only I can stop the bastards that use it as an intensifier.

"I was out until literally three o' clock last night. It was literally wicked. I literally had six blue WKDs, and they are literally delicious."

Are they?

Are they really?

The way Feral used it is actually a much better example of the problem with "literally."

Literally.

moniker on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Can I throw the phrases "emergent game play" and "paradigm shift" on the list of things to be banished?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dalboz wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    They should ban 'enormity' until everyone knows that it doesn't mean 'very big'.

I've been making the same argument for "quantum" for years, especially when it comes to the term "quantum leap."

It's an idiomatic expression. It's like "burning bridges." You're not literally burning anything at all, nor are you referring to any sort of transportation infrastructure.

I've always been a proponent of more standardized language than actually exists in reality, but people using terms like that are not strictly incorrect in doing so.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No "Thrown under the bus"? or was that last year?

Also, "staycation" can be smoothly replaced with the Hodgmism "Holistay (rhymes with holiday)".

KalTorak on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Lucky for me, really.

Are they?

Are they really?

Yes. I am literally drinking bleach about it.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

Also, "staycation" can be smoothly replaced with the Hodgmism "Holistay (rhymes with holiday)".

You now owe him $5.

moniker on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

Also, "staycation" can be smoothly replaced with the Hodgmism "$5 (rhymes with holiday)".

You now owe him $5.

Worth it.

(So do you for quoting me!)

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Lucky for me, really.

Are they?

Are they really?

Yes. I am literally drinking bleach about it.

Unfortunately, the people I hear it from haven't even got the conversational skills to use idioms and metaphors, so they have no choice but to use "literally" as a simple intensifier.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "With all due respect" - no one ever means it.

"Where u/you at?" - god damn Boost Mobile.

"____-tard" - so lazy.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    "With all due respect" - no one ever means it.

Actually this could technically be interpreted as tautological.

Maybe you're an idiot and you're due no respect. Maybe you're amazing and you're due adulation. So I could be treating you with any arbitrary amount of respect and it still could be "due."

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    In the same vein, any qualifying statement that is framed, "I'm not being racist/mean/fucking stupid, but..."

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No offense, but <completely fucking offensive comment>.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Unfortunately, I've found myself using "Where you at?" fairly often recently. I dunno, I just find it more aurally pleasing than "Where are you?"

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Bitstream wrote: »
    No offense, but <completely fucking offensive comment>.

What's worse is that I think some people might do that on purpose because they think it's funny. Kind of like the poor man's irony, or something.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Maverick was a word that needed to die

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't understand this list.

I will treat anybody who attempts to use this list on me with the same condescending withering scorn I reserve for any other blithering moron trying to tell me what words I'm allowed to use.

I know, I'm a maverick. < 3

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    In the same vein, any qualifying statement that is framed, "I'm not being racist/mean/fucking stupid, but..."

That's my favourite but in the world. Dreams are made in that but.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's not so much a case of "you can't use this word anymore, ever" as one of "please, think very carefully about using this word".

Widespread rickrolling led to a backlash against the act, but if someone uses the gag very skillfully it's still fucking hilarious.

That said, you can't use Maverick anymore, ever.
    At least not outside discussions of Mel Gibson.

[Edit] - also:
    Dreams are made in that but.
    :winky:

Bitstream on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Word has no meaning for me. I wasn't in your country when they abused it on you.

Poor mites.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bitstream wrote: »
    It's not so much a case of "you can't use this word anymore, ever" as one of "please, think very carefully about using this word".

Widespread rickrolling led to a backlash against the act, but if someone uses the gag very skillfully it's still fucking hilarious.

That said, you can't use Maverick anymore, ever.
    At least not outside discussions of Mel Gibson.

I suppose I can get used to calling that NBA team the Dallas Cubans.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "Epic win/fail/whatever"

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ooh, and "sheeple" - people should have their tongues cut out for that one.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sheeple is the worst word ever

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, but it hasn't been used exceptionally often this year to make any list. It's just universally moronic and should never be uttered by anyone who isn't legally brain dead. Even zombies would roll their eyes if one of their colleagues groaned it.

moniker on
  • Options
    deke55555deke55555 regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, but it hasn't been used exceptionally often this year to make any list. It's just universally moronic and should never be uttered by anyone who isn't legally brain dead. Even zombies would roll their eyes if one of their colleagues groaned it.

I submit that it was funny in 'Dr. Horrible'.

deke55555 on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fuck you guys. Sheeple is a great word.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fuck you guys. Sheeple is a great word.
    Damn sheeple don't know what's good for them

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    deke55555 wrote: »

I submit that it was funny in 'Dr. Horrible'.

I thought it was "sheep'll" in that context, as in "Amazing how [sheep will] show up for the slaughter," although either one will work in that sentence.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    LacroixLacroix Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A UKism maybe, but 'end of' annoys me quite a bit. As in 'end of discussion'. It's an arrogant phrase to use at the best of times and saying 'end of' makes it even more abrupt and condescending.

Lacroix on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I will treat anybody who attempts to use this list on me with the same condescending withering scorn I reserve for any other blithering moron trying to tell me what words I'm allowed to use.

There should be an exception there for references to the mildly entertaining Mel Gibson movie

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

There should be an exception there for references to the mildly entertaining Mel Gibson movie

dont forget top gun.....

you can't forget top gun....

Dunadan019 on