As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Green Tortoise 2009: Sorry for missing you all.

That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guyRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
OH SNAP! Now that we have a firm date on PAX 09 I thought I would resurrect the GT thread. I would love to have another party. Suggestions are welcome.

What is it: The Green Tortoise Hostel is dorm type lodging at a very affordable rate.

How far from PAX: 7 blocks from PAX.

How much:
Room Size
Price
7/8 Bed Drom
$25 per person / $26 credit
6 Bedded Dorm----$27 per person / $28 credit
4 Bedded Dorm----$29 per person / $30 credit

All shared doubles for couples
$40 cash / $42 credit
All shared doubles for one person
$30 cash / $31 credit

Amenities: Free Internet Terminals and (Wi-Fi), Free Continental Breakfast, Free Dinner three times a week, Wednesday Night Open Mic.

To reserve a room, call 206.340.1222

Update: Sold out. I am still going to be able to attend PAX, though.

That_Guy on

• Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    hmm seems like a pretty good deal. My group is already planning on staying at the Hyatt but if it comes down to it, we'll look to this.

I'm down for the party though :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's a great deal. I just need to figure out what other pre and post PAX activities I should schedule time for so I can make a proper reservation.

I'm excited for PAX09. The Rebel.fm panel is going to be off the hook! :)

Blain on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cheap, slumber party with PAX goers? I am SO IN!

I'm gonna call tomorrow :)

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

after working all day you arent going to want to hike down there :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    BigRed wrote: »

After working all day you aren't (sic) going to want to hike down there. :P

It's really not that bad heading back. It is all down hill. Getting there in the morning is a little more tough as it is up hill, though.

I am going to place a call to GT today and try to arrange a meeting to work out what can be offered this year. Last year we had a kick-ass keg party with my monitor and my Wii to play around with. This year I have a 360 to bring in to the mix, and should have a nice new TV. I think this year we are going to be a bit more prepared.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    BigRed wrote: »

after working all day you arent going to want to hike down there :P

I dunno, I hiked to the white wolf afterparty and Jaidens house this year after pax, which are both way farther and was fine :) After only a 6 hour shift, I can easily survive that for a weekend.

BrokenAngel on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Please note that our mixed (co-ed) dorm rooms are only available to mixed groups or men and women traveling together who would like to be in the same room. Because of their popularity for this purpose, reservations for individual men and women will always be placed in gender-specific dorms first. We will make every attempt to meet your request but please understand that we cannot guarantee availability until your reservation is confirmed.

I'm just wondering since while I plan on meeting people there I'll technically be travelling as a single woman does this mean I'll need to hope they'll have a woman's dorm open. Are there female only rooms designated permanently or is it based on requested occupancy? Since I imagine there would be far more requests for men-only or co-ed than for 6 or 8 women in the same room. Would they reassign this space then? I don't mind being in a co-ed area, it just looks like unless I make reservations with a group of men and women, that I'd automatically get put into a women's only dorm.

I have no idea if my question is making sense.

Asiina on
  • Options
    neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If I don't have like a bunch of roommates from down here in my area for a hotel, I might do this.
    Not sure yet.

I'll keep it in mind, for sure.

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Asiina wrote: »
    Please note that our mixed (co-ed) dorm rooms are only available to mixed groups or men and women traveling together who would like to be in the same room. Because of their popularity for this purpose, reservations for individual men and women will always be placed in gender-specific dorms first. We will make every attempt to meet your request but please understand that we cannot guarantee availability until your reservation is confirmed.
    I'm just wondering since while I plan on meeting people there I'll technically be travelling as a single woman does this mean I'll need to hope they'll have a woman's dorm open. Are there female only rooms designated permanently or is it based on requested occupancy? Since I imagine there would be far more requests for men-only or co-ed than for 6 or 8 women in the same room. Would they reassign this space then? I don't mind being in a co-ed area, it just looks like unless I make reservations with a group of men and women, that I'd automatically get put into a women's only dorm.

I have no idea if my question is making sense.

It makes sense :)

I took it as if the reservation is made for men AND women you get the priority in a mixed dorm. You can request it singly, but if you are making the reservation just for you, they will give priority to a mixed gender group and place you in an all womens room if they need the space there.

My best advice would be to talk to your friends and make the reservation as a group

BrokenAngel on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I hope it's that way, since this is a pretty incredible deal and I'd like to go...and be part of the party.

So is this place usually filled with PAX goers? I'd feel sorry for those who aren't.

Asiina on
  • Options
    neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    According to the talk from the last two years...
    Yes, it is.

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Good news. I have a meeting lined up with the manager of GT for Monday morning. I am hoping to talk budget and discounts. I can't make any guarantees as to what we will work out, but I would like to gauge interest ahead of time. I figure if we were able to book the place solid we should get a nice deal worked out. As with last year, I will be accepting donations for Child's Play to help with the "refundable" budget.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Good news. I have a meeting lined up with the manager of GT for Monday morning. I am hoping to talk budget and discounts. I can't make any guarantees as to what we will work out, but I would like to gauge interest ahead of time. I figure if we were able to book the place solid we should get a nice deal worked out. As with last year, I will be accepting donations for Child's Play to help with the "refundable" budget.

Well count me in as interested :) I just made a reservation for Recruit and I.

BrokenAngel on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm definitely interested as I'm a cheap bastard and this sounds like a great deal.

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I would be greatly amused if we filled the place up 6 months before PAX.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    cafeganeshacafeganesha Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It was awesome last year and I'll be staying at GT again this year =))))

Count me +1, or possibly me +5

cafeganesha on
    @cafeganesha on PAX Twitter
  • Options
    That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I stayed in it last year, and for the amount that I paid (not much) I was happy. I didn't stick around all too much (and I missed the party) but if you are strapped for cash, it's a great deal. If you plan to use their showers (and for everybody's sake, please do) bring shower shoes.

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    As long as nobody steals my DS this year, I'll probably be staying there.

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Count me in, That_Guy. I haven't made my own reservation yet.

Blain on
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

this year?

Arminas on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    grr, i made my reservation months ago when we still thought pax was gonna be the last weekend of september. i just sent them an email to reschedule, i hope they can do it!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    grr, i made my reservation months ago when we still thought pax was gonna be the last weekend of september. i just sent them an email to reschedule, i hope they can do it!
    This is why you never reserve space until after they announce the dates.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    all good, i got confirmation for september 4-6. spaces still available. RESERVE NOW!!!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    Ryan23228Ryan23228 Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    Awesome deal! I'm so glad PAX is the one to pop my Expo/Con cherry!:P

Ryan23228 on
  • Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm debating filling a room with my Canadian Supertrip group to save money, but at the same time, I'm a little busy and distracted to plan this adequately. We'll see what happens, since I was rather comfortable at Crowne Plaza last year.

b0wser on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Arminas wrote: »

this year?

Last year his DS went missing. He ended up getting a new one from the Pink Godzilla booth. I was mystified that someone would take that over all of the things of mine that people left around.

We will make sure to keep it under a well armed guard this year, though. You do have a pair of hand cuffs you can lock your DS to yourself with, right?

That_Guy on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I totally think I'm going to go with Green Tortoise this year. How quick does space sell out? Should I reserve like now?

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    redhalo wrote: »
    I totally think I'm going to go with Green Tortoise this year. How quick does space sell out? Should I reserve like now?

You still have more than enough time. Only a handfull of people have reserved space. I don't even have much of a plan myself.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    redhalo wrote: »

i wouldn't wait. lotsa people couldn't get in last year, and you can always cancel your reservation with no charge if you decide not to stay there later.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    gandysamprasgandysampras Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    Anyone have a contact e-mail?I have scoured the site to no avail, my friends and I live in the UK but are planning to attend PAX this year and the call costs would be insane to ring them unless we were booking a room and i just wanted to ask a few questions.

Thanks,

Andy

gandysampras on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Anyone have a contact e-mail?I have scoured the site to no avail, my friends and I live in the UK but are planning to attend PAX this year and the call costs would be insane to ring them unless we were booking a room and i just wanted to ask a few questions.

Thanks,

Andy

fer shizzle: info@greentortoise.net

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

this year?

Last year his DS went missing. He ended up getting a new one from the Pink Godzilla booth. I was mystified that someone would take that over all of the things of mine that people left around.

We will make sure to keep it under a well armed guard this year, though. You do have a pair of hand cuffs you can lock your DS to yourself with, right?

:winky:

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    edited January 2009

this year?

I'm not sure if I should be turned on or afraid....

BrokenAngel on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

this year?

I'm not sure if I should be turned on or afraid....
    it's better for the species if you go with the former!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ...4th-6th? D:

I haven't looked at any PAX stuff in a while, and had thought it was going to be on the last weekend of August like usual. I turn 21 on the 28th of August. T_T

This sucks.

Edit: Oh, yeah, and I might join you guys at the GT. Not sure yet. Have to mope first.

Aydr on
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aydr wrote: »
    I turn 21 on the 28th of August. T_T

This sucks.

...how?!

It's only a week later and you get to join the parties!

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JonnyNero wrote: »
    Aydr wrote: »
    I turn 21 on the 28th of August. T_T

This sucks.

...how?!

It's only a week later and you get to join the parties!

Because the 28th would have been PAX Friday. I still could have gone to everything.

It's better than it being the other way around, though, I guess. I would have really hated it to be a week earlier instead.

Aydr on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    See, but now you can go to the pub crawl on Thursday

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2009
    My birthday is PAX Friday, but I'm turning 25 so I'll be drinking hardcore no matter when I show up.

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    My birthday is this Monday, so I'll be drinking it up all this weekend.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.