As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rod Blagojevich: in ur senate, sellin ur seats

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm no legal scholar but technically isn't Burris returning since he is in fact finishing Obama's term? He wasn't elected

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    that all said, would it really be that hard to get a two-thirds senate vote on this issue?

Given that both McConnel and Reid have said he can't become a Senator it seems unlikely to be that big of a problem, but they don't want it to get that far.

And knowing Reid if it does he'll throw in a repeal of the estate tax to sweeten the deal

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I bet a dollar that Burris will be seated and that Rod sees no jail time.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Right now it sounds like the sane people of the world should be thanking the Illinois Secretary of State. He's refusing to affix his signature to the appointment of Burris which is pretty solid grounds for the Senate telling him to fuck off.

Of course then they talk about swearing Franken in (but not seating him or something) which is just fucking stupid with Burris hanging around.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Emanon wrote: »

I'll PM you my address when he's cellmates with Ryan.

moniker on
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    moniker wrote: »

I'll PM you my address when he's cellmates with Ryan.

LOL, you got it! Um, wait... you don't have Paypal??

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh, this just takes the cake:

081230_burris1_oconnor.jpg

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited January 2009

x1000 and you got yourself a deal

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh, this just takes the cake:

081230_burris1_oconnor.jpg

I had heard tell of the tomb that Burris is creating for himself where he etches in his accomplishments one by one as he achieves them, but I had not seen it until now....wow. o_O

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Okay, this makes me laugh:

Chairs-for-sale-730421.jpg

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hahaha :^:

It's good to see a politically-relevant-joke ad that's actually funny for once.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So the IL House, by a count of 114-1 voted to impeach Blagojevich. Now it gets tossed to the IL Senate.

Not sure who thought Blagojevich should stay in office.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »
    So the IL House, by a count of 114-1 voted to impeach Blagojevich. Now it gets tossed to the IL Senate.

Not sure who thought Blagojevich should stay in office.

Someone who wants to get interviewed a lot.

I wonder if the Senate will manage to resolve this before next Wednesday when the new session starts. Not that it really matters as it'd just mean voting on everything again, only faster, but I wanted him kicked the fuck out 3 weeks ago.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If Blagojevich is removed before Burris can appeal and potentially force the Senate to seat him, is the seat still "vacant"?

Can the replacement Governor nominate someone, get the AG to quickly sign it and put him on the first place to DC?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm picturing a Hollywood-style montage of the new guy sitting on a plane, running out of the airport, getting a taxi, and running up the steps of the capital, while Burris is eating lunch, smelling the roses, and stopping to use the restroom, just to get beat to the empty seat by a fraction of a second.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    If Blagojevich is removed before Burris can appeal and potentially force the Senate to seat him, is the seat still "vacant"?

Can the replacement Governor nominate someone, get the AG to quickly sign it and put him on the first place to DC?

I'm pretty sure it's unprecedented, so no idea. If he gets impeached prior to Burris being seated that might void the appointment should Quinn so choose (?). In any event I'd like to see him get refused his seat, then have the new Governor simply reappoint him/someone else after scheduling a special election for ASAP.

Ah to be a dreamer.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I'm pretty sure it's unprecedented, so no idea. If he gets impeached prior to Burris being seated that might void the appointment should Quinn so choose (?). In any event I'd like to see him get refused his seat, then have the new Governor simply [strike]reappoint him[/strike]/someone else after scheduling a special election for ASAP.

Ah to be a dreamer.
    Except for the reappoint him part I'm on board, although the alternative is more entertaining.

But Burris shouldn't be a US Senator, his conduct and comportment in this whole fiasco proves that.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I'm pretty sure it's unprecedented, so no idea. If he gets impeached prior to Burris being seated that might void the appointment should Quinn so choose (?). In any event I'd like to see him get refused his seat, then have the new Governor simply reappoint him/someone else after scheduling a special election for ASAP.

Ah to be a dreamer.

since the SoS hasn't signed off on it yet is the appointment official yet at all?

I could easily going to the SCOTUS if they push it.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Apparently there's an argument that it doesn't need his signature, but that raises the question of why then do they even bother.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The US Senate is saying the signature is required.
    The Illinois officials argue the SoS isn't compelled to sign it and its optional.

The combination allows the legal dispute to be dragged out and take longer.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I'm pretty sure it's unprecedented, so no idea. If he gets impeached prior to Burris being seated that might void the appointment should Quinn so choose (?). In any event I'd like to see him get refused his seat, then have the new Governor simply [strike]reappoint him[/strike]/someone else after scheduling a special election for ASAP.

Ah to be a dreamer.
    Except for the reappoint him part I'm on board, although the alternative is more entertaining.

But Burris shouldn't be a US Senator, his conduct and comportment in this whole fiasco proves that.

Yeah, but if he'd only be there until March then the humour value would be worth it.

moniker on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think we're past wanting 'humor value' out of our Senate, especially when we don't have seats to spare.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    I'm picturing a Hollywood-style montage of the new guy sitting on a plane, running out of the airport, getting a taxi, and running up the steps of the capital, while Burris is eating lunch, smelling the roses, and stopping to use the restroom, just to get beat to the empty seat by a fraction of a second.
    I'm seeing the sprinting scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off in my head, only through DC and the Capitol Building instead of the suburbs of Chicago.

Tach on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bagojevich is on CBC (probably CNN) right now talking about all the things in which the Senate is trying to impeach him on. Basically saying how all the programs he's being investigated on as being corrupt with are actually really useful great programs, which long anecdotes, and bringing up Rahm Emmanuel as supporting the creation of a program or two.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    And he leaves again without taking questions, after quoting some poetry.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2009
    That was amazing.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    That was amazing.

CNN actually picked up for the moment about how Blagojevich might have purposefully brought up Rahm's name to potentially screw with the democrats/Obama. I hope this doesn't take off.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    That was amazing.

CNN actually picked up for the moment about how Blagojevich might have purposefully brought up Rahm's name to potentially screw with the democrats/Obama. I hope this doesn't take off.

Most of Blago's actions recently have been at least in part flipping the bird to the dems. Pretty sure he wants to take someone down with him.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    And things get weirder...
    I never require a client to do what I say, but I do require them to at least listen. I intend to withdraw as counsel in this case.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The press conference Blago held the other day was the most absurd thing I have ever seen from a politician.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    details?

Gaddez on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Um, something about him being an old time cowboy and being accused of stealing cattle but really he was with his buddies on the ranch but the state Senate is not letting him call witnesses and so it's really a lynching not a trial...

It got weirder from there.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh, those clips are even better from the Rachel Maddow show. When she busted out the popcorn and just kinda chowed down while he was talking about being a cowboy.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, that was funny as well and it was difficult choice as to which one to link. Ah, what the hell...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=aR3RMtxrFdw

oldmanken on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh god. She looks like a female John Stewart. Pause it at :53.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    She's smarter and somewhat snarkier than Jon.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There were also some other hilarious quotes from an AP article that came out before the press conference:
    Illinois' embattled but defiant governor turned to the history books to describe the emotional strain on him and his family, comparing his arrest last month to Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor.

"Dec. 9 to my family, to us, to me, is what Pearl Harbor Day was to the United States," Gov. Rod Blagojevich told The Associated Press in an interview Thursday. "It was a complete surprise, completely unexpected. And just like the United States prevailed in that, we'll prevail in this."

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well, I think the moral here is that if you're going down in flames, you should enjoy the trip.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Or at least help others around you enjoy it as well.

Cause let's face it. He's far too much fun.

lonelyahava on