As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Collectible/customizable games

Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Critical Failures
So a friend and I were just discussing how we'd like to get into a collectible game that our group can play, but not of the same nature as games we have played before.

We used to play Magic (of course) but it gets very expensive and since the income levels are widely disparate, some people will be able to buy tons of cards and others will not.

We used to play Warmachine, Warhammer, etc, but fuck, I am so sick of miniatures and painting and setting up boards and making or faking terrain and so on, and I'm selling all that crap as soon as possible.

We've been playing boardgames but there's little customization, so things like Carcassonne and Settlers of Cataan, while excellent to play, get old after a while.

So are there any good games that are a) customizable b) externally balanced (point buy systems, etc) c) preferably cheap, that you guys could suggest?

Evil Multifarious on

• Options
    Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you have a good number of people, try Battletech... Specific rules for constructions, no minis, etc. If you know what you're doing, goes fast enough.

Speaking of, I have a box in the basement with some maps, a stack and a half of mechs, and a couple rule-books. If you want, I'll ship the whole muh to you for, like, shipping + 10 bucks. Fabulous game, but no-one around here plays.

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Munchkin comes to mind.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    Along the lines of carcassone and settlers, I'd recommend Puerto Rico. It's a fantastic game, although it will get repetitive just as the others do.

There are some great expansions of rcarcassone that really change up the game dynamics - The Tower expansion and The Princess and The Dragon expansion both completely change how you play the game.

Another great board game is Ticket to Ride.

As far as collectibles go, you are going to be hard-pressed to find a good collectible that a number of group members can get into that won't break the wallet.

And of course, there's always BRIKWARS!. You can never go wrong with Brikwars. The rules are free, hilarious and it is easily the best use of that big bucket of Legos you've got stashed in your closet.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Thanatos wrote:
    Munchkin comes to mind.

He asked for a good game, though.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Buy used Heroclix in bulk off eBay.

Optionally, buy GURPS; the main rulebook. It's very customizable and there are so many supplimental rulebooks, it's like a collectible game in itself!

Squashua on
  • Options
    wateyadwateyad Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Pick an easily draftable CCG. Run your own drafts. Agree that none of you will ever aquire cards outside of these drafts. Problem solved.

wateyad on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    PMAvers wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Munchkin comes to mind.

He asked for a good game, though.
    Munchkin is an awesome game for screwing around with.

Totally played my first game of munchkin at the Tavern at GenCon last year.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    For "collectible" minis, I like HeroScape. Non-blind purchasing (buy what figures you want, not a random pack), nifty cool terrain pieces, etc.

As for card games, you might want to check out Blue Moon. The decks are all fully functional as is, and the game works great right out of the box. There are several (5? 6?) expansions that you can use as stand-alone, or mix-and-match to construct your own deck. But, again, not blind purchasing.

Runebound is also semi-customizable, in that there are many small expansions that you can mix in (or replace the base set's cards) to change the game in pretty significant ways.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    CatrelStevensCatrelStevens Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    wateyad wrote:
    Pick an easily draftable CCG. Run your own drafts. Agree that none of you will ever aquire cards outside of these drafts. Problem solved.
    I think this is probably your best bet. Agree on an amount of money that everyone in your group would like to pay for the new game, collect that amount from everyone and spend it on purchasing a starter deck and boosters for everyone. Agree that no one will buy more cards unless everyone agrees on it. You can allow one big trading session before you guys start the first game, so you all can customize and personalize the decks a little. If that gets boring, rotate decks between players or, if everyone agrees, put ALL the cards into one big pile and take turns drawing them out at random to form your deck. Whatever.

I don't think you'll be able to find a collectible game that can't be exploited simply by varying incomes. There are a wide range of CCGs out there, I'm sure you guys can find one you'll agree on.

CatrelStevens on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Any more CCGs that people like? Something that preferably involves skill in gameplay as well as deck-building?

I think we're going to play 1000 Blank White Cards next time, but that doesn't have stamina.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    like someone else suggested, grab a CCG and draft. A draft in Magic, for example, is 8 people with 3 booster packs each, plus a giant pile of basic lands. Everyone sits in a circle, and everyone opens their first booster, take a card, and pass it to the left. Repeat 15 times (15 cards in a pack). Open second pack, and pass right. Open third pack, pass left. You now have 45 drafted cards to make a 40 card deck with. Most often you'll want 17 lands + 23 cards. It'll cost between $6 to $12 a person (about $2 a pack if you buy a box and split it, otherwise $4 per pack MSRP) per draft.

Once a month at $12, or twice a month at $24, usually isn't too bad for most people.

The only issue you run into drafting like this, is drafts can actually get surprisingly deep, and if you have people in your group investing a lot of time on research, they will probably make decks that outclass everyone else a lot. It's also much more time consuming than random pickup games.

Another method some groups use for playing CCGs cheap is a "league". Have everyone in the league start with like a starter deck in a game, and a couple boosters. I don't know the exact best rules (you can find 'em online, I'm sure), but basically people are eligible to buy a new booster if they lose like X games, or you can also just let everyone add 1 more booster to their card pool once a month. Allow trading, but limited and at equal rarity (1 rare for 1 rare, or 1 common for 1 common). Require everyone to play like X matches a week, with points for how they do. Tally this up each week, and maybe left players spend points on stuff like trading cards with each other. The issue with this style is whoever is running it needs to be on top of things, and it can get pretty easy for people to cheat.

There are also 2 ways to do "sealed deck" games, also. With something like Magic, you can buy 1 starter set a piece, shuffle it, and play against each other. It's completely random, but getting into the game is fast (no lengthy deckbuilding process). You can also do the standard method now, of having everyone get 1 starter deck + 3 boosters, and make them build a 40 card deck without trading or anything with it.

Xieflow on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'd say Munchkin, or ZOMBIES!, or Betrayal on House on the Hill.

All very good with lots of variety.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    CatrelStevensCatrelStevens Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    BTW, here's a fairly extensive list of CCG's. Look through the list and if you find something that sounds interesting, google it. Print out some info on like your top 5 choices or something and see how your other players feel about 'em. I haven't played it yet, but the Call of Cthulhu CCG is supposed to be pretty good. I don't know how customizable it is, though.

CatrelStevens on
  • Options
    Captain CharismaCaptain Charisma __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Munchkin, since IMO it's well suited to sharing cards.

Captain Charisma on