As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

West Coast Train Trip 2009: Lets Light This Sucker!

RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in PAX Archive
Greetings Fellow Traingoers!
It's that magical time of year to start planning the 2009 West Coast Train Trip: A kinder and gentler PAXtrain. Now with fluffy kitties and group hugs. This post exists as a placeholder for now with most of last years info on it but most of it still holds the same and I will update as we see fit. The train schedule with times and prices will be posted shortly, but hold off on buying tickets for now, we're trying to orchestrate a group purchase.

Soooooo, without further ado this is latest trip info.

What it is
The West Coast Train Trip, or "PAXTrain" for short, is a coordinated effort for PAX-goers to ride the same train at the same time going up the western coast of the United States - both as an alternative to driving or flying, and to enjoy an intimate "mini-convention". It replaced the West Coast Supertrip in 2007.

Why the train?
Ask anyone who's flown, driven and taken the train up - the train was the best experience. We don't care if you're new - this ain't no private party, and all people going to PAX are welcome. We didn't even know anyone else in 2007 and have become fast friends. We invite you to join us!

How to get on the PAXTrain
We are riding Train #14 - Coast Starlight departing September 2nd, 2009. from California. If you are in Klamath Falls, OR or north, get on the same train, but on September 3rd, 2009. A group purchase is in the works this year. We need to purchase 20 tickets from Los Angeles at once to get group status with Amtrak, after that they allow us to add passengers as we need to. Deadlines and exactly how we're going to do this TBA. We're going back on Train #11 - Coast Starlight departing September 7th.

The following is a courtesy list of standard coach prices for the trip. We will attempt to negotiate a discounted rate.
  • Los Angeles, CA (LAX) - $196
  • Van Nuys, CA (VNC) - $196
  • Simi Valley, CA (SIM) - $196
  • Oxnard, CA (OXN) - $196
  • Santa Barbara, CA (SBA) - $196
  • San Luis Obispo, CA (SLO) - $192
  • Paso Robles, CA (PRB) - $192
  • Salinas, CA (SNS) - $192
  • San Jose, CA (SJC) - $190
  • Oakland - Jack London Square, CA (OKJ) - $184
  • Emeryville, CA (EMY) - $184
  • Martinez, CA (MTZ) - $178
  • Davis, CA (DAV) - $170
  • Sacramento, CA (SAC) - $168
  • Chico, CA (CIC) - $146
  • Redding, CA (RDD) - $138
  • Dunsmuir, CA (DUN) - $126
  • Klamath Falls, OR (KFS) - $108
  • Chemult, OR (CMO) - $94
  • Eugene, OR (EUG) - $92
  • Albany, OR (ALY) - $82
  • Salem, OR (SLM) - $72
  • Portland, OR (PDX) - $56
  • Vancouver, WA (VAN) - $54
  • Kelso, WA (KEL) - $46
  • Centralia, WA (CTL) - $38
  • Lacey - Olympia, WA (OLW) - $28
  • Tacoma, WA (TAC) - $22

Stuff You Need
You'll need to be prepaired to survive on PAXTrain. Following is a list of stuff you probably should bring if you want to have a liveable experience on the rails.
  • You are allowed to carry on two bags, and check three (if you board at a station that allows checked baggage). We suggest checking a suitcase for your PAX supplies and packing a seperate carryon bag / backpack. This pack should contain personal effects and clothing, as well as everything else you think you'll need on the train.
  • Earbuds and an eye mask. It is considered PAXTrain courtesy to be quiet in all coach areas, where people may be sleeping - but still, be prepared. If you're upstairs people will be walking through at all hours.
  • A toothbrush and toothpaste, mouthwash, a comb, and if you need them, shaving razors and cream. No showers are provided for coach passengers, so if you're on the train for two days bring wipes or a sponge or something to wash the stank off in the bathroom sink the second day. Ignoring basic hygene highlights a disregard for your fellow gamers, who are great people who don't need to know what you smell like after two days without cleaning yourself in a cramped environment.
  • Snacks. There is a snack cart and a dining car, but it's not cheap. You can save some money if you bring some food and water with you.
  • Your meds. Nobody needs to see you off them.

We also recommend the following items:
  • A power strip. We plan on bringing power squids and some power strips, but there are never enough outlets.
  • A handheld system - a Nintendo DS is the preferred item for wireless gaming. A PSP is welcome but has more of a personal role rather than multiplaying with the cool kids.
  • A book for pleasure reading. We advise everyone to take a break from train festivities to "regroup", and read a book or listen to music.
  • Headphones, preferrably a pair of earbuds rather than studio headphones, but to each his own.
  • Cash. Dining with fellow PAXtrain goers is a good way to relax and get to know some people. Expect about one breakfast (from the snack cart), two lunches and two dinners with each trip (either from the snack cart or the dining car), each meal running about 10 dollars. The food in the private dining car isn't bad. Apart from that, bring spare cash for snacks or bring your own in your travel backpack.

PAXtrain Gear
People's willingness to bring their expensive toys to share is part of what makes PAXtrain such an awesome experience. Some of our needs are already met and addressed. Like last year, TNTrooper will provide a plethora of consoles to use, RCars2 will bring the networking equipment, and Transparent will bring his 26" television. Please understand that if you are joining up any later than San Jose, it may not be "worth it" for the train trip. We need supplies on the front as soon as we hit middle California, not before. If you want to assist us, here's what we need:
  • Power strips and extension cords. Power management becomes a problem on the train. If you can, grab something from home before you go, or go buy a cheapie power strip for 15-20 bucks. This seems small and unimportant, but it's the foundation of all of our operations!
  • Card games. Bring your Magic deck, your Fluxx deck, your Curses deck, your WoWTCG deck, your Pokemon deck, or shit, even a Sailor Moon TCG deck, I don't care. Bring it. If you have a silly game that's easy to learn bring it, We didn't Playtest This was a big train hit last year.
  • Fans. We are going to need at least two. An electric fan can reduce the temperature of a room by up to 10 degrees, the arcade cars will need them. Small but powerful portable fans are a boon.
  • Television sets (optional). Small, lightweight affairs. Don't bring anything you can't afford to replace if it breaks, but don't bring some ancient monolith because you were planning on giving it to Goodwill anyways. If you're BYOC and have a big monitor that can double as a TV, we'd apprectiate you offering it's use for the good of the Party. One 22" BYOC monitor covered, and the 26" Vizio television from last year will make a reappearance. The arcade car has a (small) television if we need it. Extra TVs and monitors are optional, not a necessity.
  • Consoles, mainly two Wiis and two XBoxes. Seeing as how we may have at most three televisions, having a million consoles seem redundant, and let's face facts - people are going to be getting the most into Smash Bros. Brawl and Rock Band. So one Wii and one XBox360 with a Rock Band Kit (with the DLC ON THE HARD DRIVE IT WAS PURCHASED ON) are all we need. TNTrooper has the hookup with a classic gaming setup, and is coordinating our console efforts.
  • The network will be taken care of by RCars2 again this year.
  • You win 10,000 internets if you bring snacks to share with everyone during the trip. Whatever it is, we don't care, as long as it isn't hilariously messy or unsafe. Please do not bring home-cooked goods - we have no way of knowning what's in your killer brownies, duuuuuude.

This is all the essentials - if you want to burden yourself with bringing more, that's fine, but it's also window dressing. If you're thinking about bringing more shit and saying "I'll hook it up in my hotel later after PAX closes", you're so wrong - you should either be sleeping or heading to a bar or party, not going back to the hotel to play some video games. You just did that all day.
TNTTrooper will be, as last year, providing a spread of classic games for use in Headquarters. There are not enough props in the world, but pass 'em to him anyways.

The Rules
We now have some rules on PAXTrain. They're simple. Don't sweat it. But if you break them, again we will be miffed and we'll find appropriate punishment for you. These rules mainly apply in Headquarters (the Arcade cars or obs deck) as that's where most of the magic happens.
  • Don't be a dick
    Just don't. Play nice, children. And if you don't like someone, don't start shit stirring and backtalk.
  • Don't be an asshole to the train staff
    Train staffers are generally pretty cool and will let us do what we want with little explaination. Be nice to them, and if they tell you to do something, do it.
  • Don't be a loud prick
    Other people may be sleeping in other cars. Or whatever. We usually sack the arcade car and half of the observation car as our Headquarters and keep it there - that muffles the sound pretty well, I've tested it, even when shouting. Still, noise discipline. Be quiet in the coach areas and sleeper cars, be polite in the dining cars and don't try to overrun the observation deck during the day if other people are using it. We try to keep the downstairs tables and the half with
  • Don't be a freak to kids
    When kids are around, mind your tongue. Pretend Mommy's right behind you. Don't give anyone a reason to complain about PAXTrain.
  • Don't get too hammered
    WE HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THIS SO FAR AND I WANT TO KEEP IT THIS WAY. I'M NOT POINTING FINGERS, THERE'S NOBODY TO POINT THEM AT! Let's just keep it that way.
We've never had any real problems, but vigiliance and diligence will be what keeps it that way. These rules are also loose guidelines more than anything so don't flaunt them or play the legalist. If you play the rules lawyer, we'll treat you like a rules lawyer. Anyone in gross violation of the rules or common decency won't be welcome at group festivities - you're now persona non grata and everyone hates your guts, and you're banned from PAXTrain events.

Again, we've never actually had to do that! Everyone's been cool and has watched each other's back, kept everyone else in check and been real champions, doing their duty to assist their fellow gamers when they are falling out of line. We work better as a loosely organized motley band than as a full regiment. We've done terrific! Just keep diligent - we have a legacy to consider, and we want to keep good relations with Amtrak.

How to drink your vodka straight
Amtrak now has a policy against outside alcohol on the train. They probably just want to sell more of the overpriced stuff in the snack bar. We won't tell you what to bring or not bring, but know that the risks / consequences of bringing alcohol are your own, as we aren't condoning private stashes this year. Openly drinking your own stuff in public areas is discouraged.
The PAXTrain "staff" will be assessing the situation and reacting appropriately. We got some rookie drinkers on PAXTrain '07 (the only year Amtrak allowed outside booze). If you're new to drinking, we have some info for you right here to help you get in the swing of things - most vets already have some sort of system on how they handle the booze. Here are the four levels of inebriation as the apparatchiks will ID them:
  • Not Drunk - You've had one, maybe two. You're not feeling it. Drink a little more, if you want, or not. Maybe you're just not a beer (or liquor) guy. You don't need to be drunk to enjoy PAXTrain. Most people weren't drunk at all last year. It's overblown how drunk we were. (Or I am cleaning our images up and rewriting history.)
  • Buzzed - You've had a few and you're feeling pretty good. Bit of a headrush. Congrats - you're buzzed! Now slow down and enjoy it. Drink a bit after an hour to keep the buzz going. Don't feel like you need to drink a lot to look like a big man.
  • Drunk - Congrats, you're drunk. Now sit your ass down. Being drunk is not a good thing. Lay off the booze and get some chips. A pro alcoholic can "maintain", cutting through his drunkenness and working with his lack of motor skills to help him calm down and get it out. Be careful - we'll try to help keep you quiet and unseen, but if the train guys spot you drunk, they can call the cops at the next stop and have you hauled off to the drunk tank. That means no Paxy Pax for you.
  • Wasted - What the fuck is wrong with you? If you're clearly wasted we're throwing you out of PAXTrain events and the word will spread you're persona non grata. Go to the bathroom quietly and puke before the train personnel eject you from the train - and into the arms of the police, who will arrest you for being drunk in public.

Anyone who is really wasted will be asked to leave the festivities - sit in your coach seat for a while and maintain. You wanna drink on the PAXTrain? Fine. Just don't be a little newb about it.

Also remember:
  • "You just want to be with that ugly bitch WHO ISN'T PRETTIER THAN ME!!!" (New Years party reference, this chick was a horrible drunk) If you've battled with depression before, you might wind up being an overemotional drunk. So unless you're certain you can maintain, if you feel weird about it then don't get drunk so you don't embarrass yourself.
  • Don't feel pressured to drink more to seem hardcore. A pro alcoholic will tell you that a low alcohol tolerance is actually very good thing, and look back to the time when a few beers would buzz them as their salad days.
  • Beer before liquor, never been sicker. Liquor before beer? You're in the clear. Be sure that you remember this rhyme, or else you'll wind up doing time - puking up your guts all over the stall, in the bathroom straight down the hall.
  • Since we won't have a PAXtrain alcohol stash we can't exactly cut you off. Just remember if you're out of hand you'll be asked to go somewhere else until you can maintain.

The Hot Spots - I'm Going off the Rails on this Crazy PAXTrain
The majority of all PAXTrain activities happen in two locations: The coach car with the arcade room (which will likely be the home of Rock Band), and the Obseravtion Deck (which will be designated as the Obs Deck or simply as Obs). These areas are beehives of activity and the "home" of most of our console systems. We'll have to play it by ear, balancing the use of the arcade cars and observation car between PAX goers and the rest of the passengers took a little doing last year.
The Arcade Car(s): These are private rooms, allowing us to speak freely with no cause for the concerns of other passengers and is fairly soundproof, allowing us to get a little loud (not too loud). Here you can find our primary console setups. It is on the first story of a coach car, with no other passengers to heed, and has a luggage rack for storing our critical gear, a water dispenser for more drinkable cold water, and doors to exit in case of a smoke break. When the door opens to the arcade car, get quiet for a second until it closes; otherwise, speak away. Amtrak closes the arcade cars at 11pm

The Obs Deck: Obs is a public area for all passengers. It was the only suitable area for us to use as the main areas of our activities on PAXtrain '08. We have to be conscious of the other passengers during the day, but last year we pretty much had it to ourselves at night. Obs has a large, spacious observation deck on the top floor with a number of private tables, benches and seats to view the countryside, use a laptop, play cards or do whatever, but due to the furniture it is not a good place to hold a mass congregation unless everyone sits down. The first floor of the obs deck has a commissary for buying snacks, drinks, booze and small meals. The prices are a little high, but not complete robbery - still, it's advisable to bring your own foodstuffs. Also on the first floor are more tables and furniture and more observation areas, we tried to leave this area open last year as we pretty much took up all the tables upstairs. Wireless connections will be set up and administrated from a table on the upper floor, you can take advantage of it from the whole obs car. At night, we appropriate obs for PAX-y uses, but it is still a public area, so don't be a total boor or drunkard. This is when we typically chill and watch movies.

The Dining Car: The onboard restaurant of the train is pretty good. Or, at least it was last year.

We are actively trying to have better arrangements with Amtrak this year, check back for news about the group purchase.

Events
We will be having the following events on PAXTrain:
Tournaments: TBD. At the very least there will be Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Rock Band 2, and D&D going on.

Meals: Amtrak takes Lunch and Dinner reservations before meals happen. Find some people and make a reservation for four. It's a great way to commiserate with people in a more relaxed environment than the public areas.

Movie Night: CURRENT FILM LIST: TBD. Do you have something you want to watch at night in the observation car? Bring it with you and / or let us know. Last year Dr. Horrible was the big hit of movie night.

carlinsig.png
RCars2 on

• Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've really wanted to do this for a while, and now, I *could*.
    I'm thinking that if I scrounge up enough money, get a job, etc... I could take a round trip ride to CA, and then up with you guys to PAX.
    It's 'spensive, but if this job I applied for works out, I should be in the clear.
    Let's just hope I can make enough :S

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hopefully you can swing it. It was fun last time and ya know ya want to. :)

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ^5 Snifit, don't you disappoint me now

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey, RC, good to see you're getting on with this years festivities. :D

So I take it the dates are Wed, Sept 2 northbound and Mon, Sept 7 southbound?

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    We need to call Amtrak soon.
    I think we need a few extra cars and obs cars if we don't want to sell out the train six months early; and they want non-PAXers to have an Observation deck. If they talk to a conductor or someone who was on with us last year, we should be able to get it. We filled up the entire Obs deck by Sacramento; and they know about us now. We have done this for two years. I hope they know about us, at this point.

Anyway, if they will do it, which they still might not. We need to call now.
    I'll call if you like, but if anyone has any more ideas about who to talk to or what to ask or whatever, post it on here.

Seriously though, this train will sell out FAST if we don't get more cars, at least normal chair cars, because we were sold out a month or two before the date last year, and it could double or more this year.

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
  • Options
    DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For some reason I'm thinking it'll be one of those deals where we have to throw down a lot of money up front to get any sort of special treatment on board.

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Probably.
    But if they want to keep the train not too crowded and they want to have room for normal passengers, it's in their best interests more than ours. That's all I'm saying.

It's more for the other passengers.
    Maybe.
    If we double or triple this year it's going to be effing crazy.

neuroslice on
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DStalefish wrote: »
    For some reason I'm thinking it'll be one of those deals where we have to throw down a lot of money up front to get any sort of special treatment on board.
    Exactly. We need to presell a certain number of tickets to get group accomodations from Amtrak. We contacted Amtrak and know how to set it up with them, we're still working out how we're going to presell the tickets.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ah. alright.

Well I was just thinking its going to be nuts if we only have one Obs Car. Seriously.
    Fucking. Batshit. Nuts.

neuroslice on
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm definitely going, and so's my girlfriend. If we can afford it we're getting sleepers this year. Those chairs were terribly uncomfortable.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm either not seeing it, or it's not there, but what are the dates for the train trip? I ask because I have classes that start the week before. Does the trip take three days like I had read on the Amtrak site? And when does the train actually arrive in Seattle?

I'd really like to do this, but it depends on when the trains arrive at the destinations. If it's like the schedule you guys had last year, I won't be joining :(

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I don't see how the schedule will be any different really, the train still runs the exact same times and route.
    I'm definitely going, and so's my girlfriend. If we can afford it we're getting sleepers this year. Those chairs were terribly uncomfortable.
    I'm considering doing the same thing. The chairs don't recline enough, and you don't really know who you'll end up sleeping next to.

Transparent on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Boyfriend and I will be taking it the way up--'cause he's never been on a train and wants to go at least once on it. So, yayness!

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yay you'll be there for the trip up. In my opinion you miss out only going one way though, I liked the trip home better than the trip up last year.

Transparent on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yay you'll be there for the trip up. In my opinion you miss out only going one way though, I liked the trip home better than the trip up last year.

True. But sadly, I have so much time saved. And The Boyfriend might be at fill-in-the-blank job for only like a couple of months or so (he's in school to be a phlebotomist and his internship starts at the end of March.)

Not to worry, though, it will be CCTT 2010 all the way for me.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm either not seeing it, or it's not there, but what are the dates for the train trip? I ask because I have classes that start the week before. Does the trip take three days like I had read on the Amtrak site? And when does the train actually arrive in Seattle?

I'd really like to do this, but it depends on when the trains arrive at the destinations. If it's like the schedule you guys had last year, I won't be joining :(

we'll most likely be leaving LA at 10:15 am on the 2nd and arriving in seattle at 8:45 pm on the 3rd assuming there are no delays . .. realistically i'd expect our arrival time to be around 10:30 pm

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    True. But sadly, I have so much time saved. And The Boyfriend might be at fill-in-the-blank job for only like a couple of months or so (he's in school to be a phlebotomist and his internship starts at the end of March.)

I hope you enjoy spending 4 days taking 3 or more different trains each way.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

I hope you enjoy spending 4 days taking 3 or more different trains each way.

It's fun! Scenic route if you will.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I always have more fun on the trip up. It's more crowded, but... Those chairs are painful. Unless you have a sleeper the trip down is kind of hard. Was for me anyway.

I got almost no sleep on the way up, and the sleep I got on the way down wasn't very good. Plus I left my Fallout 3 poster on the train. At the last possible second, to boot, as I got off I left it in the little luggage section downstairs. Sucked. I hope someone took it and used it on their wall at least.

But yeah, I might fly home next year, if it's not too much more expensive. Sorry but I was hurting on the trip down.
    I'll probably fly home next year if it's not too much more. But that's just me, many can hack it and do. It wasn't too bad, just the sleep in the seats sucks after an exhausting weekend. If I do it again I'll get a sleeper for at least the ride back. Seriously.

Zombie Fluxx was fun though.

neuroslice on
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
  • Options
    Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    we'll most likely be leaving LA at 10:15 am on the 2nd and arriving in seattle at 8:45 pm on the 3rd assuming there are no delays . .. realistically i'd expect our arrival time to be around 10:30 pm

Alright, that seems to arrive too late for the stuff my friends have planned on Wednesday and Thursday. Sorry, but I won't be taking the train this year :(

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Alright, that seems to arrive too late for the stuff my friends have planned on Wednesday and Thursday. Sorry, but I won't be taking the train this year :(

Rogue_hunter, I hear ya. Every year we have the discussion of whether to WCTT it up or to actually do some of the Pre-PAX festivities. It's sad that it's one or the other, but that's kind of the essence of PAX. There's just so many cool things to do that you have to make choices.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Main post updated with the help of Transparent. Mostly just format and grammar fixes.

nemaihne wrote: »
    Hey, RC, good to see you're getting on with this years festivities. :D

So I take it the dates are Wed, Sept 2 northbound and Mon, Sept 7 southbound?

I wouldnt miss PAXtrain for the world. :)

Days and times on the train are being determined. Transparent and i are looking at the dates for the train. We are shooting for matching last years setup but there was some talk of doing the PAXtrain on the way up a day earlier so those of us that wanted to catch Pre-PAX stuff could do so. For now we'll stick with the later day of leave but if enough demand comes in for the earlier day we can change things around.

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    RCars2 wrote: »
    "You just want to be with that ugly bitch WHO ISN'T PRETTIER THAN ME!!!" (New Years party reference, this chick was a horrible drunk)

She make me laugh so hard that night, when I was trying to pass out.

Wasn't she screaming at a wall, when she was trying to talk to Mike?

Highfire on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    PAX train '08 was super fucking awesome kick-ass cool.

I unfortunately moved closed to Seattle this year, from Southern Oregon to Portland, so that's gonna cut the time i get to spend on the party train, but count me in from Portland y'all!

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'll join you for wine and cheese in the parlour car then. We can relax in our overstuffed chairs and discuss our sympathies for the coach passengers.

Transparent on
  • Options
    gigzgigz Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    Girlfriend and I will be there again this year, hopping on at Klamath Falls. I can offer to run multiple D&D games of varying levels as part of the entertainment retinue. Oh, and if you're looking for a movie, try Dead Gentlemen's "The Gamers."

gigz on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    PAX train '08 was super fucking awesome kick-ass cool.

I unfortunately moved closed to Seattle this year, from Southern Oregon to Portland, so that's gonna cut the time i get to spend on the party train, but count me in from Portland y'all!

Hahahahaha.
    No more fuckin' long ass train trip for you mister Lucky Dude.

If you're this lucky next year...
    YOU MUST GIVE ME SOME SHWAG SHIT!
    lulz.

Anyway, dude, keep in touch.

neuroslice on
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Idea for an activity...

Would anyone be interested in a live Phalla on the train? We could set it up so that voting is done every hour, so that people have time to communicate secretly while doing other stuff.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Highfire wrote: »
    RCars2 wrote: »
    "You just want to be with that ugly bitch WHO ISN'T PRETTIER THAN ME!!!" (New Years party reference, this chick was a horrible drunk)

She make me laugh so hard that night, when I was trying to pass out.

Wasn't she screaming at a wall, when she was trying to talk to Mike?

And RCars2 slept through the whole thing. Mike had to hold her there to keep her from damaging things during her freakout.

Transparent on
  • Options
    King NadaKing Nada Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ooh wctt is coming through portland this year. I am so on that.

King Nada on
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey don't feel too bad there, I'm from south of Olympia! So although It'll be my first time I'll miss a lot of the fun.
    Since I live so close I really don't know yet if I should just head there for a day if I can or if I should convince my mother to allow me to stay for a night (it's so close to the start of school for me).

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'll join you for wine and cheese in the parlour car then. We can relax in our overstuffed chairs and discuss our sympathies for the coach passengers.

Indubitably! I'll see if I can get some British cheddar and we can act all smarmy. I won't even judge you for your appalling British accent.

Edit: In light of how successful our Worms Armageddon LAN games were last year, I'd like to propose a full-scale Tournament for this year.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Okay, here's a list of British stuff I have in my DVD collection that may excite you. Or not. Either way, it might make for worthwhile viewing on the train this year.

Television and Stand-up Comedy
    • A wide selection of classic Doctor Who serials
    • New Doctor Who series 1-4 + "The Infinite Quest"
    • Torchwood series 1-2
    • Blackadder - the complete series + the extras
    • Black Books - the complete series
    • 4 Bill Bailey stand-up comedy DVDs (Cosmic Jam, Bewilderness, Part Troll and Tinselworm)
    • Coupling - the complete series
    • Are You Dave Gorman?, Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure, and Dave Gorman in America Unchained*
    • Extras - the complete series
    • Terry Pratchett's Hogfather**
    • Terry Pratchett's The Colour Of Magic**
    • The IT Crowd series 1-3
    • Life On Mars - the complete series
    • The Office - the complete series
    • Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) - the complete series (2000 remake)
    • Red Dwarf I-VIII
    • Red Dwarf: Remastered I-III
    • Spaced - The complete series

*Those of you who were on the WCTT last year may recall my playing some of Dave Gorman's BBC Radio series, "Genius", on the train back to LA.

**I rather like the idea of watching Hogfather on the train up, and The Colour Of Magic on the train down. Any thoughts?

Films
    • The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy [2005] (DVD and Bluray)
    • Hot Fuzz (on DVD and HD-DVD)
    • Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    • Monty Python's The Life Of Brian (Bluray only)
    • Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life
    • Shaun Of The Dead (on DVD and HD-DVD)

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    This makes me want to bring up (again) one of my ideas to get another PAXtrain area this year. Whether or not we get a group thing this year (I hope we do) everyone who books coach should request downstairs seating. It's an option when you purchase your ticket online. If we manage to take over the downstairs room on a coach train that doesn't have an arcade car, it could easily be turned into a theater during the day.

Transparent on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    This makes me want to bring up (again) one of my ideas to get another PAXtrain area this year. Whether or not we get a group thing this year (I hope we do) everyone who books coach should request downstairs seating. It's an option when you purchase your ticket online. If we manage to take over the downstairs room on a coach train that doesn't have an arcade car, it could easily be turned into a theater during the day.

Totally great idea.
    I'll remember to do that.

neuroslice on
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sick. Most likely going this year, +3-4 others, from Eugene or Albany.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ooo, Hugh Laurie, very tempting. Although all that British is reminding me of a particualr British Comedy I once watched and sterotypically didn't get.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Wahoo for English Comedy! ...Blame PBS for playing reruns of Are You Being Served?, Jeeves and Wooster, and Monty.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Idea for an activity...

Would anyone be interested in a live Phalla on the train? We could set it up so that voting is done every hour, so that people have time to communicate secretly while doing other stuff.

So I'm guessing this is a no?

If I can get at least 5 people interested, we could at least do a mini-game.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's a shame, I know there is going to be Brawl, there has to be, it's like blood in a wii. I'll have to bring my wavebird, I can't play on a wii mote.

Mmmm Hugh Laurie AND Brawl, sounding better every day.

Curse-Ten on
This discussion has been closed.