As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TribesNext - Tribes 2 free and returned! [NSf56k]

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm installing. I played Vengeance a while ago and liked it, but never the originals....

soon I won't be able to say that though.

Khavall on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    T1 is also free.

http://www.tribesftw.net/

I for one prefer the old-school flava of the original tribes.

august on
  • Options
    notmannotman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would like to thank those who joined us for TAC on our Fight Night. It was damn fun, and it was great to see so many new players enjoying themselves. We are there EVERY Friday night, so feel free to rejoin us any week.
    Also, I heard several people were bumped when maps changed. We were recently releasing new maps, which aren't part of the install package yet. Please make sure to grab them too :) There is a download at the site (http://www.tacmod.com)

Oh, and aside from T:V's balance issues, the lack of Mod support is what really killed the game (and alienated it from the other two). Mods were always what kept Tribes interesting (IMO). If you didn't like something about the base game, you could change it. Many people (including me) didn't like the balance in T:V, and that could have been adjusted if modding was easily available.... I'll get off my soapbox now

notman on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Hey, turns out Tribes 2 runs very well off a thumbdrive here at work so I'll probably be playing more often. What's the password to the Goon server though, can anyone PM me?

The goon server only gets passworded when there are about 60 players, to leave spaces for the admins.

AKA none of us know the password.

Makes sense. Also, playing rabbit with you guys was fun, I haven't ever played a gametype like that before. :D Jumping back on in a few minutes, eating lunch.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    notman wrote: »
    I would like to thank those who joined us for TAC on our Fight Night. It was damn fun, and it was great to see so many new players enjoying themselves. We are there EVERY Friday night, so feel free to rejoin us any week.
    Also, I heard several people were bumped when maps changed. We were recently releasing new maps, which aren't part of the install package yet. Please make sure to grab them too :) There is a download at the site (http://www.tacmod.com)

Hey, thanks for hosting... umm your might want to include a little snipit on the front page about compiling. The options wasn't on my list and I had to search the forums for the ~ command. Games pamper people so much these days, I forgot stuff like console commands were still used.

edit: man, now I remember why I hate playing CTF in public games. If I'm not defending the flag, no one is.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That was some good times, Stig. Even if I kept falling short of getting on the damn transport most of the time. I really hope they don't run Pure TAC next week. My forte's in that awesome bomber they have.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Job_41:25Job_41:25 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I loaded Shifters on my server for some fun.

Job_41:25 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Jesus this game is harder than I thought it would be. I think I can count the number of kills I've gotten on one hand, whilst the number of times I've died is infinite. Good stuff though, lots of fun just skiing around and trying to shoot motherfuckers.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    notmannotman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    That was some good times, Stig. Even if I kept falling short of getting on the damn transport most of the time. I really hope they don't run Pure TAC next week. My forte's in that awesome bomber they have.

lol, that's sort of funny to me. Usually, people prefer Pure, especially old school TAC players.
    Two reasons: TAC players from TAC1 think there should be ground vehicles (since they didn't exist in Tribes 1).
    Reason two, Desert Wolf is extremely good with a tank, and people get tired of getting owned by him. But, maybe your efforts in a bomber, can offset his skill in a tank.

The server picks randomly, and personally, I can go either way, but if you want non-pure, feel free to throw up a vote. Most often the votes for mission changes will pass, unless a mission was just changed.

notman on
  • Options
    da newbda newb New York, New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Speaking of Tribes, does anybody here ever play Fallen Empire: Legions? It isn't as complex as Tribes 2. There are no vehicles, deployments, packs, generators, and turrets. You can't make your own class, but have to chose from a selection of them. But the controls are quite nice, and it is also pretty fun.

da newb on
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    da newb wrote: »
    Speaking of Tribes, does anybody here ever play Fallen Empire: Legions? It isn't as complex as Tribes 2. There are no vehicles, deployments, packs, generators, and turrets. You can't make your own class, but have to chose from a selection of them. But the controls are quite nice, and it is also pretty fun.

Yep. Haven't played it in a while, but I know there was a decent amount of people from here who played.

Legions is made by the same people, btw.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jesus this game is harder than I thought it would be. I think I can count the number of kills I've gotten on one hand, whilst the number of times I've died is infinite. Good stuff though, lots of fun just skiing around and trying to shoot motherfuckers.

That's one of the nice things about Tribes... Player skill contributes more to your success than anything else. Of course, at the same time, that's also what turns new players off of it, because they get repeatedly owned when they join a server.

Learn the basics, and move on from there. Even if you're playing poorly, you're helping the team if you manage to keep an enemy distracted for more than a few seconds. For the majority of weapons, don't bother shooting at the enemy until they're forced to touch the ground. You might see some players regularly pulling off mid-air shots, but they had to begin somewhere as well. Learning to time your shots is key, so if you can learn to get that disc or nade to be where the enemy is when he lands, you're doing good.

edit:

Also, if you happen to run into WiiMote while playing, I'm sorry for killing you.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    Also, if you happen to run into WiiMote while playing, I'm sorry for killing you.

I'm sorry too, because the only reason he's on the ground killing you is because I shot him out of the sky :P

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Decius wrote: »
    Nerdtendo wrote: »

I'm sorry too, because the only reason he's on the ground killing you is because I shot him out of the sky :P

Can't kill him while on the ground. I keep tripping over my penis.
    olol big dick joke

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

If you get frustrated, learn the fun of uneven combat! That enemy is skilled with the spinfusor? Too bad you're in a tank throwing mortars at him! That base is well defended? Too bad it's about to be blown to pieces from orbit! That pilot is great at aiming? So it your missile launcher. That capper has all routes memorized? too bad you you're standing on the flag and have a spinfusor for him, or a satchel charge.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Renegen wrote: »

If you get frustrated, learn the fun of uneven combat! That enemy is skilled with the spinfusor? Too bad you're in a tank throwing mortars at him! That base is well defended? Too bad it's about to be blown to pieces from orbit! That pilot is great at aiming? So it your missile launcher. That capper has all routes memorized? too bad you you're standing on the flag and have a spinfusor for him, or a satchel charge.

The nade launcher is a capper's friend. Just two well placed nades will take out a satchel, and *should* knock an HOF away.

Organizing a capping run with two players is really best.. The first will attempt to take out the satchel or spam enough nades on the HOF to knock him away if not kill him. The second will come in right behind. It's hard to get someone to work with you on it, but it pays off. If the first player dies during his attempt, all the better as long as the second one still nabs the flag. The first one can grab a shrike and head back to assist the runner.

Very team oriented game.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    ubernekouberneko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Damnit, there are still unhandled exceptions in this game :P I was just playing on the Goon Server changing turret barrels and I got one and now the server is PW'd :(

uberneko on
  • Options
    FritoFrito Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dude, anyone know where we can get some of the PJ scripts like the buddylist? Google just gives me sites that 404 on download.

Frito on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I never played Tribes. Should I install?

TL DR on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, I used to play the original way back on 56k, I was absolutely terrible through a combination of lacking FPS experience and my connection speed. About the only thing I managed to develop a nack for was bombarding positions with mortar or grenade launcher, even from relatively long ranges. I never knew who to ski either. Half the time I just worked as a transport pilot.

TAC was always fun, nice to see there was a Tribes 2 version of it.

Tempted to give this a go, but I've got a ton of games I'm already getting backlogged on and I sucked at T1 so I'd probably suck at T2.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I gotta ask...was the spinfusor's aiming physics completely changed between Tribes 1 and 2? It seems to me that the disc now takes your momentum into account and curves in midair or something. If I'm in midair and I shoot the disc, it never goes where I aimed it at.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The spinfusor has always carried your momentum. It comes in real handy for making shots because if your moving slightly faster then your target and they are moving in a straight line you can actually fire directly at them and the disc will "follow" them. It takes some practice but once you get use to how momentum is carried you can make some shots that seem impossible.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Darklyre wrote: »
    I gotta ask...was the spinfusor's aiming physics completely changed between Tribes 1 and 2? It seems to me that the disc now takes your momentum into account and curves in midair or something. If I'm in midair and I shoot the disc, it never goes where I aimed it at.

This is my first time playing Tribes 2 but I played a ton of Tribes 1. I'm hitting people with the disc just as easily as before. If they changed the physics, they didn't change it much.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Maybe it's because I haven't played in years. I tried shooting a disc at the enemy base in Broadside while in midair the other day and missed.

Yes, I missed the entire enemy base.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You could say you couldn't hit the broadside of an enemy's base if you tried...
    Well you could say that...
    I'll just go now :(

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Darklyre wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I haven't played in years. I tried shooting a disc at the enemy base in Broadside while in midair the other day and missed.

Yes, I missed the entire enemy base.

Yeah, the whole projectiles taking your momentum into account thing really fucks me up. I can't hit shit either so don't feel bad. :D I'm getting better though so there's still hope.

Also, I was playing at work the other day and some people I work with were gathered behind me asking what I was playing because it looked insane. Hopefully I can get them to play, the only FPS most of them have ever played is the PC version of Halo (someone put a pirated copy on the entire network here).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Frito wrote: »
    Dude, anyone know where we can get some of the PJ scripts like the buddylist? Google just gives me sites that 404 on download.

If I know what to zip up I can get all my scripts together. I still had my old T2 installation from waaaay back when, all decked out with PJ's scripts, some mods, and custom maps too. I can't remember what all you need for the scripts though since it's been so long, but I had all of PJ's scripts if I remember right.

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You know what really annoys me? No one is playing Siege! Seriously, give CTF a rest and play the better option.

TheStig on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Downloading now. Are there a lot of people playing these days (meaning will I be able to find a game)?

Will I get utterly and mercilessly ruined having never played before?

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    There are usually 1 or 2 servers with a good population on, if you have a good connection to them you're good. And yea you will probably get ruined, but there are a lot of bad players coming back too so there will be plenty of people for you to ruin.

TheStig on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    You know what really annoys me? No one is playing Siege! Seriously, give CTF a rest and play the better option.

People should play Great Tribal War

It was so much fun

Like an RTS FPS and team work magically happened

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think it's time to start sharing some screenshots in this thread...or at least that's my excuse. I have this one epic shot (at least I think it's pretty epic) for a match a couple days ago.
    Tribes2%202009-01-16%2019-59-08-40.jpg
    Got a small squad of ships together, and proceeded to go blow some shit up.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can never get a good bombadier, every time i line him up for a shot he never lands the bombs right and its not my piloting because i've got alot of experience in both seats so i know how to ensure the bombs hit the right areas and how to dive bomb them inside the enemys bases. It would be so kickass if you could make the bombs bounce haha buzz the ground after a dive then burn forward dropping your bombs to bounce into an opening.

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • Options
    dephiledephile Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    Man, I played some of the old Tribes 1 maps last night (Broadside, Raindance and one other) and it really brought me back. I used to play competitive Tribes 1 Shifter matches with about 20 other tribes, back in the glory days. I don't think i'll ver have as much fun as I did playing shifter. Are and of you guys old members of the Shifter Battle Arena (SBA)?

KIN, EWF, Inq, SW, FL etc etc....

I spent a good year or more playing shifter back in college. I was one of the officers for <:SW:>. Those were some good times, I'm looking forward to some nostalgia thanks to the next servers.

dephile on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fugitive wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

People should play Great Tribal War

It was so much fun

Like an RTS FPS and team work magically happened

Bit of necromancy here, but they're getting together a pick-up this weekend.

http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=401.0

The mod really is pretty awesome. Huge maps, and the gameplay really encourages teamwork. It's almost magical how well a pub will function together to get shit done.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    While were doing some necro on this thread, I should mention to those of us looking for an Aerial Dogfight server now have one. I was playing on it the past couple nights and it's just like it was the last time I played it.

Name: AerialDogfight
    Address: 208.101.53.90:27005
    Rule Set: BONES
    Dedicated: Yes
    Game Type: Aerial Dogfight

Also found an online server list in the TribesNext forum.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Decius wrote: »
    While were doing some necro on this thread, I should mention to those of us looking for an Aerial Dogfight server now have one. I was playing on it the past couple nights and it's just like it was the last time I played it.

Name: AerialDogfight
    Address: 208.101.53.90:27005
    Rule Set: BONES
    Dedicated: Yes
    Game Type: Aerial Dogfight

Also found an online server list in the TribesNext forum.

Oh snap. The girlfriend's out of town for the weekend. I guess this is what I'm doing while she's gone.

Ballman on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I got me a Tribes Pocket Watch, it is awesome!

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am saddened this thread disappeared for so long

Fugitive on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I got me a Tribes Pocket Watch, it is awesome!

pics or it didn't happen

TychoCelchuuu on