As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who wants to make a new game? :D

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sonar wrote: »
    Are you absolutly positive there wasn't a black dragon? I played the shit out of adventure and I recall an invisible (black) castle ( on a black background) and trivia g to avoid getting eaten by a black dragon. I think I remember the black dragon more than the red. There weren't two versions of the game were there?

No black dragon, but there is a black and white switch. Did you forget to turn the color on, or were you playing on a B&W TV?

halkun on
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No color all the way, it would have been a different shade. I will concede in my old age that I could possibly be mixing up haunted house. I really remember a black dragon though, like on a different difficulty level maybe?

Anyway if you go beyond the scope of recreation then add a black dragon.

And a Princess.
    And a pony.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I remember an invisible maze too, I'm pretty sure.

But then again it might just be the Adventure Plus Hack that I'm remembering.

Regardless, this project is freaking awesome and I want to plaaaay.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sonar wrote: »
    Are you absolutly positive there wasn't a black dragon? I played the shit out of adventure and I recall an invisible (black) castle ( on a black background) and trivia g to avoid getting eaten by a black dragon. I think I remember the black dragon more than the red. There weren't two versions of the game were there?

There was an "Adventure Plus" of some kind, as Imperfect mentioned, with ever so slightly improved graphics. But that's about all I know about it. Maybe you're thinking of that?

In the first Adventure 2600, no black dragon. No invisible castle. Only Green, Yellow, Red dragons, and yellow, black, and white castles.

I'll also post an update:

The holidays have been busy, but I've continued to work on this. I've stitched the main overworld together, now I'm making each "room" aware of itself, so to speak. It's simple yet time consuming. Then the next step is to place items and dragons. Then to code the bat. It'll take several weeks at least but progress is going fairly smoothly.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yea, the game is deceptively complex, it's why I wound up throwing in the towel over the collision detection.

halkun on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    oh, right, I forgot I still need to make an Easter Egg room. I'll put something interesting in there. Haven't decided exactly upon what yet but I have some ideas. :D

If you don't put in a photo of your Duke Nukem Forever preorder slip then I'm going to be unamused.

The awesome part is that no matter how long people are playing your remake, that joke will still be topical.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    halkun wrote: »
    Yea, the game is deceptively complex, it's why I wound up throwing in the towel over the collision detection.

It's hilariously complex. I mean, shit, you look at it, and think, "Hah, it's an Atari 2600 game. It barely has graphics, and no sound! You're literally a dot moving around. How hard could it be to recreate?"

And then you start digging deeper, and realize that the dragons have reasonably sophisticated AI routines. And so does the bat. And there are items that do shit besides get picked up / put down. And all kinds of other stuff that's easy to take for granted when you're playing it and not.. reprogramming it! :P

oh, right, I forgot I still need to make an Easter Egg room. I'll put something interesting in there. Haven't decided exactly upon what yet but I have some ideas. :D

If you don't put in a photo of your Duke Nukem Forever preorder slip then I'm going to be unamused.

The awesome part is that no matter how long people are playing your remake, that joke will still be topical.

Hahah, nice.

slash000 on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Coming back from family vacation on wednesday, New Years parties, Rose Bowl, and I've got some other (paying) gigs that are also demanding some attention, but I've got 13 days or so to work on this. Only other actual composition I'll be doing is working on my minimalistic experimentation.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Coming back from family vacation on wednesday, New Years parties, Rose Bowl, and I've got some other (paying) gigs that are also demanding some attention, but I've got 13 days or so to work on this. Only other actual composition I'll be doing is working on my minimalistic experimentation.

Well let me just reiterate that this little game project isn't a huge huge huge priority. If you can think of some quick and easy way to do music and make it sound decent, that'd be fine. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece. Just something that fits. Even if it follows the patterns of other music that's fine. Just something to break up the audio monotony of the game, ya know? But you don't have to spend tons and tons of time on it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well I'd be done long ago, but my life recently has been "Next week I'll have a break" and then someone comes up to me and asks me to play for them next week or I have something else come up.

But I have everything I will have 'till classes start, and once they start I'm already triple booked through february, so I'm looking to get some substantial amount done before then.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I've been pretty busy over the holidays, but things are beginning to slow down, and thus, I just managed to finish properly placing all of the Items in this game for Quest 2.

The next step is placing and properly setting up the Dragons. It's going to take some reworking of the Dragon code I did for Quest 1 though, unfortunately.

Also I think that the time it takes for the Red Dragon to eat the player is shorter than it is for the Yellow/Green dragons. Can anyone confirm that?

I feel like it takes ~1 second for a Yellow/Green dragon to eat the Player, but maybe .5 seconds or less for the Red Dragon to do so.

edit: Maybe it's .5 seconds for all dragons when you're on the Level 2 / Quest 2 difficulty..

slash000 on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You're doing great slash, I seriously believe you'll be done before Shotgun Sunrise! Which makes me happy and sad both at the same time :(:)

Impersonator on
  • Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've been pretty busy over the holidays, but things are beginning to slow down, and thus, I just managed to finish properly placing all of the Items in this game for Quest 2.

The next step is placing and properly setting up the Dragons. It's going to take some reworking of the Dragon code I did for Quest 1 though, unfortunately.

Also I think that the time it takes for the Red Dragon to eat the player is shorter than it is for the Yellow/Green dragons. Can anyone confirm that?

I feel like it takes ~1 second for a Yellow/Green dragon to eat the Player, but maybe .5 seconds or less for the Red Dragon to do so.

edit: Maybe it's .5 seconds for all dragons when you're on the Level 2 / Quest 2 difficulty..

Perhaps it's a side-effect of the red dragon being twice as fast?

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    each "tick" is 1/32 of a second... I posted the speed numbers earlier.

halkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well I'm not exactly sure either way.

Perhaps you can discern this, halkun.

I know the speed numbers of the movement of the dragons and player etc., but is there any way to discern exactly how long the player has to be in the Dragon's mouth before the player is swallowed? Does it differ for each dragon?

I feel like Quest 2's dragon-eating speeds are faster than Quest 1, or alternatively that Red Dragon eats faster, but that could be me just perceiving it that way, since I haven't closely tested the eating-speeds yet.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    OK, I just tested the Green Dragon in the original game.

Green Dragon definitely eats the player faster in the Quest 2 as compared to Quest 1. It's almost twice as fast.

It takes him maybe a full 1 second to eat Hero in Quest 1, but maybe half or just over half a second to eat him in Quest 2.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Just for fun, I took 2 screenshots, one from the original game and the same shot from the remake, for the sake of comparison:
    From this...

screeny2nt4.jpg

To this...

screeny1or3.jpg

slash000 on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Daaaaamn.

She's coming along nicely.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    screeny2nt4ze4.jpg

halkun on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The connections between the planks need a bit of touching up. Other than that and the bridge it looks good, but making the bridge blend better while still working like it does would be difficult.

Edit: Maybe give the bridge a bit of depth, or a pseudo-3D curve? Right now it just looks like a superimposed image.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Wait fuck how common are encounters in the wharves? I was going for a slow move to happy music as you got closer to the white castle... is that not good?

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    The connections between the planks need a bit of touching up. Other than that and the bridge it looks good, but making the bridge blend better while still working like it does would be difficult.

Edit: Maybe give the bridge a bit of depth, or a pseudo-3D curve? Right now it just looks like a superimposed image.

As the one who made the bridge, I would rather it stayed exactly as it is. It's a "Magical" bridge you see, and also it's a homage to the original graphics.

Wait fuck how common are encounters in the wharves? I was going for a slow move to happy music as you got closer to the white castle... is that not good?

The dragons can show up anywhere, and he's heading towards the black castle in that picture

halkun on
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You guys are My Heroes. I played the hell out of this game when I was a kid, even found the dot and everything. My favortie things to do would be to see how much stuff I could carry (get the bat when he's carrying the magnet and something on the magnet) and getting bat rides.

Anyways, you guys are great. Keep it up!

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Well, as Halkun said, the dragons fly around the overworld. They give chase, and so they can potentially show up in any area.

If you've made the theme to the wharves a sort of happier theme I think that's fine.

Also, the wharves are connected to the Black castle. The area preceding the White castle is the haunted forest.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh.... I guess I misread the map. Either way, I'll just keep it for now, maybe darken it a bit.

Khavall on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh.... I guess I misread the map. Either way, I'll just keep it for now, maybe darken it a bit.

Perhaps a bit of drifting transparent fog, if that wouldn't be too difficult to set up.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    jothki wrote: »

Perhaps a bit of drifting transparent fog, if that wouldn't be too difficult to set up.

I'm, uh, just doing the music so. It would be pretty hard for me to do

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Where is the SVN for this again?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited January 2009

What's "SVN"? Subversion?

slash000 on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What's "SVN"?

A Norwegian in a hurry?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    What's "SVN"?

A Norwegian in a hurry?

There needs to be a wall somewhere to put that one.

Yes SVN is a common abbreviation for subversion. I am programmer so I forget people aren't up on all the geeky acronyms, either that or I am hunting for Norwegian puns.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also to answer the inevitable question, yes, I did just slap a bunch of random notes on the page for that string section.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also to answer the inevitable question, yes, I did just slap a bunch of random notes on the page for that string section.

Haha.

Well keep up the good work, I trust your judgment on what sounds good.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

It's here

[php]https://adventurereboot.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/adventurereboot/trunk[/php]

(It was the only way to make the whole URL come out)
    however, the code that Slash is using is a different language than mine. You can download mine and look at it though.

halkun on
  • Options
    ZodiakZodiak Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just want to tell you good luck. We're all counting on you.

airplanesz9.jpg

Zodiak on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

:^:

Adventure 2600 gets so much love.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    halkun wrote: »

It's here

[php]https://adventurereboot.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/adventurereboot/trunk[/php]

(It was the only way to make the whole URL come out)
    however, the code that Slash is using is a different language than mine. You can download mine and look at it though.

Ah so slash is continuing the project without you?

What language are you using slash?

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ah so slash is continuing the project without you?

What language are you using slash?

I picked up the project once Halkun had officially retired from it. And it's not so much continuing the project without him, because he continues to be a major help in unraveling the secrets of the original Adventure game's code and functionality. I just didn't want all the work that was put into this project to go to waste, since it's such an excellent idea. Halkun produced so many great ideas for the remake, and continues to provide lots of great ideas and suggestions for this as I and others go along.

As far a programming language... think of it as a middleware solution that is well-suited for this style of project/game.
    games factory 2!

slash000 on