As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Aadarion vs. Karog the Ironwood

gredavingredavin Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Critical Failures
The waiting cell is dark, but the crowds overhead roar and cheer for the coming bloodbath. You are not alone in your battle, for others roar for your victory.

Or your death.

You walk up the ramp, stones stained by eons old blood and entrails. It is dry this day, for you are the first combatants at the Gates of Dawn in over three hundred years.

This once great shrine to the god Pelor, now desecrated by a dark league who revel in the stains splattered on his holy symbol. Their motives are their own, yours are to win and early glory and riches. By the screams of your adversary, you will be crowned Champion of the Gates of Dawn!

You reach the gate, preparing for the slaughter, and the crowds come to an eerie hush.

"Brothers and Sisters of the Night Devil, and those in league with the Tribune, we present to you the event of the day! Two great specimens of death and blood, two great heroes here to entertain you while you drink and make merry. With their performance, so shall they be rewarded. I, the great Loranius, have opened my coffers to the victor, a generous sum of 1,000 gold pieces and an item earned in my journeys. The great wizard Zyzimic had this in his collection, a potion of great quickness of mind and body. I killed him for it!"

The crowd cheers and claps, then draws silent once again.

"If the contestants are ready.... open the gates!"

The grind of metal echoes down the hall as the iron girded gates drop in front of you. You enter the arena...

Time of Day: Early Morning

Weather: Clear

Inner Gate: None

Walls: Spiked (Enter a space with an outer wall, take 1d4 damage, 1d8 damage if forced into)

Small Pillars: Sheer, 5ft high

Large Pillars: Sheer, 15ft high

Special Events: None

Blue Team: Aadarion

Red Team: Karog The Ironwood

Round #1 Map
round1rn8.jpg

gredavin on

• DraugDraug Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The Ironwood

Snarling, Karog stepped into the arena. His meaty hands ground into the grip of his shield and morningstar, dripping with the morning dew. The night fogs had parted, but the sun was still just a hint on the horizon.

Breathing in tune with his wolf – animals had no, and wanted no, names – he spotted his enemy at the other end. Pale, unarmored. Arrogance befitting only one who possessed arcane powers.

Karog let out a low growl. The human would learn why they called him Ironwood.

Initiative (1d20+2=7)

Draug on
  • Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Initiative = 21

Aadarion smiled, and lifted the hood from his brow. Too bad the animal would have to die. He rather liked dogs.

Aadarion moves his hands, giving the magical 'start' command for the spell he'd memorized earlier. As he finished the final rune, he felt that familar rushing release of AEther... He looked down at his New form. Not particularly attractive, but luckily, he didn't have the un-necessary stench; hopefully, doing what he needed to do to win the match wouldn't hamper his chances at some clever post-match wrestling with some members of the fairer sex.

{OOC: I went ahead and went first, since I beasted your initiative. I went ahead and used my standard to turn into a troglodyte. Please note the jump in my AC, from it's +6 natural armor.}

Legoman05 on
    edited February 2007
    (OoC: I followed your link, and the first word that stared me in the face was Tarrasque. Troglodyte is perfectly fine.)

The Ironwood

Karog watched as the mage warped his body into a monster in front of his eyes. Very well, the fight should be better for it.

“Sic 'im,” he ordered wolf. Snarling, the predator crossed the distance and [url=leaped at its enemy. He could see teeth tear into the changer's leg. The lupine attempted to wrestle him to the ground, but the foe remained on its feet.

Karog advanced calmly, conjuring as he moved. The snake sprang out of the sand, and rushed silently in to strike the already embattled enemy. The viper, however, found only hardened hide and robes.

(OoC: Viper strikes in from the flank, R12. Wolf is head-on, R11. Korag is at H11.)

Draug on
    edited February 2007
    Aadarion

Aadarion grimaced as he shook the wolf off of his leg. Very well, we'll see if these animals can keep pestering me. Focusing harder on the spell this time so as not to open himself to another one of the wolf's attacks, he let fly another burst of arcane energy.

Concentration check for Sleep/ Wolf's Will Save/ Viper's Will Save. [DC 17] (1d20+10=27, 1d20+1=8, 1d20+1=5)

(OoC: Sleep cast defensively centered on R12.)

As every rune of shimmering blue and black energy emptied from mind's eye, Aadarion opened his half-closed eyes and smiled. The wolf staggered slightly before settling into a peaceful sleep, and the viper remained still. Aadarion turned his attention to the oafish brute before him. Opting not to face his charge, he stepped behind the closest pillar.

(ooc: move to Q6. EDIT: 5-foot step removed.)

Legoman05 on
  • gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    (GM note: You cannot take a 5-ft step and then move again after. Do you want to move to the pillar without the 5-ft step, or take the 5ft step and not move? Respond by editing your earlier post and making an OOC note.)

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    Round 2.5 Map
    round2fk3.jpg

Edit: I just realized I placed Aadarion on Q7, he is actually on Q6.

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    The Ironwood

Cursing all things arcane, Karog moved forward, chanting all he could.

(OoC: Summon Nature's Ally I. Again.)

Draug on
    edited February 2007
    {OoC: To what square are you moving? I'm going to assume that you're within range for my next move, and are creating another viper. If either of those two assumptions are incorrect, I'll re-consider based on what happens.

Also, I just realized I forgot to pick my cantrips. In the interest of fairness, I picked 6 random ones: I know 19, so I'll roll 6d20, and re-roll 20's. Random Cantrip Prep Selection. (1d20=18, 1d20=18, 1d20=10, 1d20=19, 1d20=6, 1d20=19) This gives me Daze, Ray of Frost, 2x Arcane Mark, and 2x Prestidigitation. Hooray, I'm going to get to be able to make a shiny spot in your armor, and then mark it. Twice.}

Aadarion stepped out from behind his pillar, surprised that he did not hear the heavy footsteps of a charging meat-bag. More animals. Wonderful. A longer delay of the inevitable.

Aadarion reached into his spell pouch for a handful of small tarts and a feather. Waving the feather in the air with his left hand, and tossing the tarts at the meaty druid in front of him, he pondered the answer to the question that materialized out of the AEther.... What do you get when you cross the Tarrasque and Boccob's Mother? Best not come to a conclusion now, lest he befall the same fate as his victim.

{OoC: Hideous Laughter. Ironwood will need to make a DC18 will save, or fall prone and laugh uncontrollably for (1d4+1=2) rounds. Sup rolling min.}

Legoman05 on
    edited February 2007
    The half-orc felt prodding fingers at his side, sparking a chuckle, and then suddenly an overwhelming sense of...funny struck him and he hit the ground, rolling in a spot, clutching at his side.

Laughing never hurt so much.

Would Karog have the last laugh? A wolf materialized behind the wizard, growling as it shot forward to attack him.

{OOC: Karog fails Will Save. In effect for 3 rounds (1 round/level). I moved Aadarion to N8 to put him in range to cast the spell as Karog could only take a 5ft step on his action. Karog is on I11. Wolf bites (accidentally named it Viper, ignore.) and damages the wizard for 6HP damage. Trip failed.

End of Round 3.5 summary:
    Aadarion: 8HP damage
    Karog: 0HP damage, influenced by Hideous Laughter for 2 more rounds.

Begin Round 4

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    {OoC: On what square is the wolf? Will edit later with actions. EDIT: Nevermind.}

Damn wolves. Stepping away from it's jaws, he raised his hands and chanted. This time, sinister black glyphs flew, directed at the canine.

{Cause Fear, DC 15 Will Save. If it makes it, it's shaken instead for one round. (-2 to everything) If it fails, it runs the hell away until it goes poof. I'm moving to M8, since I just realized that the SRD says 5-foot steps never provoke AoOs, period. That's going to make PnP a whole lot more fun around here. Also, when making the roll for the wolf's save, and possible attack/damage, would you mind naming it Wolf(Karug)?}

Legoman05 on
    edited February 2007
    The wolf back peddled for a few steps, a look of confusion and fear in its eyes. Then, it snarled, brandished blood stained teeth and lunged at the wizard, snapping its jaws at him. The wolf found flesh, meaty, hardened hide of the troglodyte form of Aadarion.

The wizard felt its bite, but it was not powerful enough to inflict a wound.

{Summoned Wolf saves. Bite attack misses.

Aadarion: Square M8
    Wolf: Square N8

End of round 4, Begin round 5}

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    Aadarion shook his fist at the mutt. Taking another step forward, he turned his attention to the meat-bag, whose helpless amusement was quickly wearing off. Aadarion summoned the last bit of serious arcane energy within him, and let fly with the most crucial spell of the match.

{OoC: Sleep, DC 17, centered 10 ft beyond Karug. (So that he's caught in the blast, and not me, obviously) Fingers crossed.}

Legoman05 on
    edited February 2007
    Round 5:

The arcane gestures complete, and a toss of simple sand into the air, the spell of slumber was cast. Karog, the half orc in the middle of hysterics, felt the magic wash over him, but his mind was stronger despite the insanity of his situation.

He did not succumb to Aadarion's magic.

The snarling wolf lunged once again, this time with no fear in his eyes. It matters little, the agile wizard sidesteps the attack and as the wolf lands, it dissipates into nothingness, its purpose served.

The laughter stops and Karog's grimace returns, now in control of his mind and body.

{Karog Save vs Sleep success. Wolf (Karog) bite attack misses.

Aadarion: Square O8
    Karog: Square I11, lying prone.

Begin Round 6

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    The wizard cursed in a Draconic tongue under his breath. He drew his pick, and charged his prone opponent. He may be out of his most potent weapons, but he was no coward.

{OoC:Charge vs. Karog, Round 6. +4 v. Prone, +2 Charge. Possible damage attached. (1d20+7=21, 1d6=4)}

Legoman05 on
    edited February 2007
    The pick plunged into Karog's shoulder before he could roll away to the side. He snarled, grabbed the head, and pulled it out from his body in a bloody spurting mess.

{OOC:

Aadarion: Square J10, taken 8HP damage
    Karog: Square I11, taken 4HP damage

Karog's action up next in round 6.}

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    “Not...funny...”

Karog pushed back to his feet, heading straight for the wizard even as it's pick soared in to smite him back down.

He tasted blood, and he wanted more.

(OoC: Karog gets to his feet, attempts to grapple, and then attempts to pin. If he succeeds in pinning, he moves the grapple from J10 to M10.)

Draug on
    edited February 2007
    Round 6.5
    Aadarion sensed the half-orc was about to stand to his feet and quickly swung down with his pick again. Karog rolled to the side, but the pick scraped across his thigh, leaving a meaty scratch.

Karog rose, reached out and grabbed the wizard by his throat and began to squeeze. Aadarion choked and sputtered as the life was slowly being strangled out of him.

[OOC: AoO against Karog (standing from prone), success. 1HP dmg. Karog attempt grapple, success. Opposed Strength, winner Karog, inflicted 4 HP dmg.

Can pin next round on a successful grapple.

Aadarion: Square J10, taken 8 wounds, 4 subdual
    Karog: Square I11, taken 5 wounds

Begin round 7]

Map
    round7pv7.jpg

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    Round 7

The wizard fought hard, straining his muscles against the meaty grip of the massive half-orc. To his surprise, his wirey frame worked to his advantage and he slipped free from Karog's grasp.

He backed up, but there wasn't enough time to cast a spell. Instead, he drew up the scroll from the case and readied it. Then, Karog lunged at him again. Aadarion protected himself with the pick, driving it into the shaman's right arm, blocking the orc from pinning him down.

{OOC: Opposed Grapple, won by Aadarion. Aadarion moved 5ft back to K10 and drew scroll as move action. Attack of Opportunity, success!Grapple attack disrupted. Karog damaged for 4 wounds.

Aadarion: Square J11, taken 8 wounds, 4 subdual
    Karog: Square K10, taken 9 wounds

Begin round 8]

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    Aadarion wiped his arm of the brute's sweat. Disgusting. He stepped back, "Aaanatamantutame!" The scroll glowed briefly in his hands as he opened it, spilling it's arcane payload, then disintegrating. Aadarion felt the warm, comfortable re-assurance of a magical breastplate.

{OoC: Mage armor. Current position is I9.}

Legoman05 on
    edited February 2007
    Again, Karog hurled himself at his enemy, trying to drive him to the ground.

(OoC: Grapple. Again.)

Draug on
    edited February 2007
    Karog clasped two meaty hands around the wizard's throat and squeezed. Aadarion's eyes flared wide and his face, turning red then purple, indicated that this was the end for the valiant caster.

Like a sack of potatoes, he hit the ground, the half orc still choking him. The blood thirsty crowd let up a thunderous roar and above the din could be heard one word.

"Kill, kill, kill!"

[OOC: Aadarion AoO, misses. Karog lunges with grapple, success. Opposed Grapple, Karog wins. Inflicts 5 damage. Aadarion collapses, unconscious.

Finish him.]

gredavin on
    edited February 2007
    Karog

With a grunt, Karog threw his shield to the ground, and hauled the limp human back to its feet, holding him by the neck. He took a step back, breathed in deeply and before charged forward with a roar, slamming the soft skull into the great stone pillar with a loud, wet crack. Then, pinning the man to the cold stone, he swung an uppercut into the base of his skull, driving his spiked gauntlet into his brain.

Stepping away from the pillar, he punched the sky with his fists, raising the impaled mage into the air. He spun slowly around, showing his trophy to the entire crowd, blood pouring from the dead man's wounds, spattering the orc's face. Then, with a gesture of contempt, he flung the body to his wolf.

“Feast, my friend”.

As the wolf came to and gorged on human flesh, Karog stalked out of the ring.

Draug on
    edited February 2007
    NM

Legoman05 on
    edited February 2007
    EDIT: aww, damn. I guess I wasn't fast enough typing this....

Legoman05 on
    edited February 2007
    The crowd thundered, delighted by the sickening display of ruthless bloodshed and an entire jump to moral abandon.

The announcer made his presence known.

"To the victor, the spoils! Take what you may from your freshly feasted upon opponent and exit your gate! Karog, 1000 gold pieces are yours, and the sought after potion of Cat's Grace!"

{Gain:

1 level immediately
    1 potion cat's grace
    1000 gp, items may be purchased from the 3.5 PHB and DMG only.
    Heal all wounds, memorize all spells etc at your leisure.}

gredavin on