As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

No sound in WoW...

CorakCorak Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Not sure where to post this, thought about the MMO subforum, decided to try here instead. After all, this forum is meant for begging for help, which is what I am doing.

Basically, I just got back into WoW after a long while. I left shortly after Crusade, and here I am back shortly after Wrath. Except now, my sound doesn't work.

Well, some of it works. Most of it, even. But around my character, things get quiet. His spells are silent (or nearly so), his own voice comes in and out. The things he fights are almost silent, or very echo-y.

This is the first time I've played on this computer, and I've heard something about Windows Vista not supporting... something. I don't really understand, and it seems to have come up quite a few patches ago, so I have no idea if there is a work around, because nobody talks about it anymore.

I have an Audigy 2 sound card (I think? Thats what it says in Device Manager), but my speakers aren't even plugged into it, so I don't think it matters. They are in my on-board sound card, right attached to my motherboard (an ASUS P5B Deluxe).

Anyone experienced this? I really am at a loss...

I live!
Corak on

• Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I going to go ahead and ask the stupid question first. Are you sure the sound settings for the game are correct?

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think so.

The speakers are certainly working fine (they work for everything else).

It's just a vanilla install of WoW. I've tried with and without Hardware Mode, various Channel settings, all that sort of thing.

Corak on
    I live!
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is it possible that your Windows sound settings are set to 5.1 or 7.1 while you have a 2 or 4 speaker setup? The absence of a center channel would explain what's happening.

And if you haven't already, disabling the Audigy in the Device Manager may help. I haven't had two sound cards under Vista before, but I had a few issues under XP.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Okay, some update.

I did some research and apparently Windows Vista does not support Direct3D. Apparently WoW uses Direct3D. This is a problem for some older sound cards like my Audigy (and presumably the mobo?) So I updated my Audigy 2 to the latest drivers, the speakers are now running through that. Works great. I then found Creative ALchemy, a software program made by Creative to help run Direct3D in Vista since it isn't natively supported...

Doing THAT, I am mostly fixed! My attack sounds work now... although some others are still missing. It is definitely some sort of center channel problem, but I am getting somewhere at least...

Corak on
    I live!
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That's....not exactly right.

Vista very much does support Direct3D since Direct3D is DirectX's 3D graphics API. Anyway, the problem is a similar problem I had with my Creative card before I pitched it: Creative drivers in Vista are t3h suck. Alchemy IS the solution, but it has nothing to do with Direct3D, or Vista, and everything to do with Creative having shitty QA.

Nova_C on